Car sound. advice please

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Frozenfireside

Car sound. advice please

Post by Frozenfireside »

Right so I am looking at getting a new system and I'm pretty much cool with what I want.

Earthquake sound front split system in the front with coaxial speakers in the read shelf.
Front loader: JVC AR870 with 5v line-out and a number of other decent specs @ R2000 with full JVC warranty. (auto style has it at R1695 but with 6months return to be repaired for free because its all grey imports.)

now there is an issue:
Do I get an TremorXR-10" with a 5 year warranty @ R 580.00 ex box.
or
second hand Kenwood 10" subs times 2 with box @ R500 neg.
I'm a little apprehensive of second hand speakers. I mean they would be pushed hard and probably mistreated but it's cheap.
What do you guys reckon? Had any good or bad experiences with second hand speakers.
I want a tight bass as I will be playing rock 90% of the time with metal 8% and 2% other genres.
The AMP is still a mystery, mabye a powerhouse, but I want the AK5000 wiring kit @ R500.

There is also this
- Sub box, sealed with recess and fully carpeted with terminals
- Labour to fit
- Custom speaker adapter mountings for splits and rear speakers
- Autoleads 8G wiring
- RCA's and setup

Total : R850

What do you guys reckon to the whole setup as well? I think that it might be a little pricey but I head going that little bit further gets you much better sound quality.

http://www.earthquakesound.co.za
regards
Ed
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Lol? IMO get a bit more decent sub hey. Surely it won't cost much more.

Nittin!!!??!!??!
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

okaaay. What sub you getting? I am a student but I have the dosh to spare.
What price is it?
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

What sub have I got? I am running a Kenwood 10" low profile DVC. But my system probably had a bit higher budget than yours.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I'v heard of those low profile speakers but I don't want the sound that they produce. and I ask again! What price was it?!
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

If you aren't looking for something like that then why bother on its price? I like the fact that I have a boot still and that its not overpowering. Its got a nice strong, solid sound.

Around R1200
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

forget the puny 10", get a 12. I got a kenwood 12" new for around R500 more than a year ago...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

All depends on the sound you want :roll:
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Yes. It does.
I don't want massively deep booms-Thats more hip-hop and RnB sounds which I hate with a passion. I want the quicker response of a smaller sub rather then pure air shifting ability. That's why I want it in a sealed case-it produces a tighter bass rather then an vented which makes everything louder.

R1200 for a sub is more then I can afford and it probably is better then the one I'm getting but that's far too much for me.

I want to eventually have an AMP powering the front to speakers and the rear speakers with an other amp powering two subs in the rear...and a disco ball :-p
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

listening to metal and rock you will want to get a 10''. because the drums are so fast a sub bigger than a 10'' wont be able to cope and it wont sound that nice. At the moment i'm running a standard VW symphony h/u (will be replaced soon with a pioneer deh-p400ub), standard co-axials in front (running of the radio, will be replaced soon as well) and then at the back i've got 260 watt pioneer 6x9's and a 10'' pioneer vccs (300w) off a camtec 1400w 4 channel amp. My system works perfect for metal, dont know about anything else, i mainly listen to metal.
Last edited by muffinman on 22 Feb 2008, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

Frozenfireside wrote: I want to eventually have an AMP powering the front to speakers and the rear speakers with an other amp powering two subs in the rear...and a disco ball :-p
piece of advice. get 2 amp's. 1 amp to run your split system and 6x9's ...... and a mono block amp for your sub. you'll get the best performance out of a mono block.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I'm running my 12" in a sealed enclosure. The bass you get not only depends on the sub, but on the enclosure too. Make the enclosure the size you need for the frequency response you want.

I listen to Offspring, and Metallica, and Bob Marley, and Ryan Dent and snoop Dogg, and all of them sound good on my system...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

the bigger the sub, the better it is for hip hop.
naughty

Post by naughty »

muffinman wrote:the bigger the sub, the better it is for hip hop.
that isnt 100% factual - i can make a 10" sub sound perfect with hip-hop - i can even make it boomier or sound louder or even bigger just with enclosure designs

also getting monoblocks and multiple amps means that you aregoing to have to lots of work on your charging system ie you may need a better battery as well as a better alternator - maybe even a capacitor - and some hectically expensive but decent wiring to power those - otherwise before long your car will begin having trouble to start - and your light will dim with each bass beat

most often - i will say less is more - my system has only a component split set upfront and a single subwoofer powered off a 4 channel amp - th erear fill speakers are powered off the head unit - but are faded to be off when im alone in the car - but you need to decide if you want quality or quantity

if you want quality then go to forums like speednsound but have a look at the sound quality section - you will get far more usable advice there IMHO - because some of the guys who have the best sounding car systems in the country hang around there

if you are after earthquake stuff and also some autoleads stuff then im sure you have spoken to Jules (jules125 on the audio forums) - he is a good guy and will sort you out with whatever earthquake stuff you want

one other small bit of advise - for the head unit dont go with JVC - id go Alpine , pioneer or kenwood - as for second hand speakers - it depends on the application they were used for - if it was an SQ system and used by someone you know who isnt a boomer then no probs - otherwise stick to the new ones - sometimes you can get good second hand speakers like for example I34z1k managed to score a pair of second hand Boston Acoustics speakers at a great price - with brands names like that id be confident even of second hand speakers - kenwood , pioneer and Sony etc id still tend to be a bit sceptical about (only speakers mind you - not the electronics - since those are the types of brands together with starsound and calibra that a boomer would normally tend to get)
and a mono block amp for your sub. you'll get the best performance out of a mono block.
if by performance you mean sound pressure levels then maybe - but if you are more concerned with the quality then i disagree - since most monoblocks are class D or semi class D or quasi class D - but for quality you will get a more decent sound from class AB - and sure class A amps would sound the best - but they are very expensive and very inefficient ie they pass of more power as heat then power to the speakers

nothing wrong with a decent 4 channel amp like a phoenix gold x200.4 - or maybe even an earthquake one (plenty of other good brands available at a decent price - too many to name)
I think that it might be a little pricey but I head going that little bit further gets you much better sound quality.
the best things in life cost quite a bit - the guy who has the number one sounding car in SQ comps in the country has spent a mini fortune on his system - but if you ask him if its worth it he will tell you that its worth every cent (Ben Selier on the speed and sound forum) - my car is now heading over the R20k mark in sound equipment - and im enjoying every minute of listening to it - and its not louder than anyone elses - just has decent equipment set up to give you quality sound - so whatever you spend if you spend it wisely can give you the enjoyment you are after - besides you cant take it away with you - so why not spend it while you can :twisted: - so dont worry about the cost (up to a point of diminishing returns where you need to start spending more than twice the amount to improve the quality by just a little bit)
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Great post as usual Nittin ;)

Btw, prob gonna sell my Citi and look at getting a G4. Any yes/no's?
naughty

Post by naughty »

I34z1k wrote:Great post as usual Nittin ;)

Btw, prob gonna sell my Citi and look at getting a G4. Any yes/no's?
well all we can do is try and point the guy in the right direction - which direction he goes in is left up to him :wink:

about the G4 - if the engine is in good nick and it looks neat i dont see any earthly reason why not - since it would be a decent step up from a Citi - its altogether a more solid car - so my gut feel is if its in good condition then go for it

though one reservation i have is that you are still young and (most likely) still single - so at your age id still want a small compact lifestyle orientated fun car - so look at newer model polo's or corsa's or fiesta st's as well before deciding - the bigger cars tend to be better for more family orientated guys - so a more modern compact sport model is still okay for a young guy like yourself - so look around before commiting yourself
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I see. Will consider that. Thanks ;)

Looks like there's the new model in 2003, and another new one in 2005? Dam :P haha. My budget is kinda set, but I will only be buying next year so its cool.