Offroad Bikes anyone into it used to ?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
SBSP

Offroad Bikes anyone into it used to ?

Post by SBSP »

Anyone here do offroad biking ?

Ive been tempting to buy an offroad bike for a silly 5 years almost.
Then about 2 years ago i bought a Quad. Fun to ride but its not form me.
And its a shlep to move it around.

So I'm looking at the CRF 230F Vs the CRF 250R (Hopefully i will buy this soon) cant afford it now.

the 250R - Competition bike

and the 230R General offroad enduro

The 230R is tempting it goes for 30K brand new and the 250R +- 57K i guess. and i guess again the installment on it would be +-1000 once my quad is finished i can replace the installments with this, since im used to pay for it.

The 230R is about +- 7 Kg hevier not sure if it will make a difference.

The problem is I'm scared that i might outgrow the 230R and know i wont outgrow the 250 cust it has way, WAY! more
power than the 230. i think the 230 = 13 Kw and the 250R 32 Kw of power.

The 250R is capable of doing 0-100Km in 3.2 Secs and has a topend of +- 130Km/h BTW

But on the other hand ive riden an offroad like 2 or 3 times in my life. But dont want to buy twice.

Mebe ishould look at some youtube videos.

Same with my quad ive never riden a quad but out grew it quick quick with in 3 months.

Anyone here ever riden a 230R ? and knows off road bikes ? is it worth it ?
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Maybe look at Yamaha rather. I read some horror stories about Honda MX bikes. Can't remember but I think it was on www.hondaracing.za.net
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

I've raced off-road bikes most of my life. Not any more though as I've got no time sadly :(

To be honest you can't go wrong with any of the big 4 (Yamaha,Kawasaki,Honda,Suzuki), they will all be great fun and reliable.

Personally i would go for a KTM 250 EXC-F although it will probably be a bit more expensive.

I think the main question is what you will be doing with the bike?
Are you thinking of taking part in Hare-scrambles and other Enduros or will it be more for riding in the bush with friends etc..?
If you are thinking about racing, then the 230R will not really be good enough.
But for fun in the fields then it will be perfect.
If you've only ridden off-road a couple of times in your life then the 230R will feel very powerful and the 250R will be terrifying.

You can always go for the 230R and then if you find in a year or so that you want more power you could upgrade to the 250R or even the 450 :wink:

Let us know what you decide...
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

230R will feel very powerful and the 250R will be terrifying.
I'm $hit scared of a proper racing 250 a friend has a KX250F just standing next to makes me shiver :lol:

So maybe the 230R will serve, i suppose i can always sell it afterwards then upgrade.

as far as the 450 goes Noooooo! ways too much power.

I will probably not race , I would like to learn how to do small jumps though.
the 230 will probably handle it but will it last. ?

I'm thinking towards the 230 more and more.

Edit Screeper tnx 4 the input, appreciated
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Well...have a quad bike...but have not been on it in a while. Is a shlep to cart around...and time is a problem. I do miss it though :(
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

The 230R will definitely handle any jumps you throw at it. You really need to be getting some serious air before the suspension will start to take strain.

The last off-road bike I owned was a Yamaha WR450, it was a monster of a machine. But actually the main difference I found between the 250's and the 450's is not so much the power but that you don't have to change gear as much on the 450 as it has so much more torque. The power delivery on both is really brutal though.

I'm also thinking that the 230R will have quite a few baffles and noise restrictors in the exhaust, so with the cash you saved from not getting the 250R you could buy a better breathing exhaust for it. Will give you a few more kw and plus it will sound great :D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Also have a look at the KTM's. I think they a bit more pricey, but dude!!!! Its worth it. Friend of mine does Off road racing. Been with him a couple times and played around with the bike

KTM FTW!!!
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

My mate does racing as well. He has a KTM and the amount he spends on spares he could of bought another bike..

He goes to some race in KZN once a year. Looks awesome.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

g0ldback wrote:Also have a look at the KTM's. I think they a bit more pricey, but dude!!!! Its worth it. Friend of mine does Off road racing. Been with him a couple times and played around with the bike

KTM FTW!!!
KTM is brand name and you pay for it. (Or KTM think they are brand name)
it does the same as the rest (Yamaha,Kawasaki,Honda,Suzuki)

Parts are very expensive and to maintain

Honda is the best Value for money wise, cheap to maintain and parts arnt that expensive. Customer Service sucks a bit though, But who cares.

you dont get much warranty on an off road.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Yamaha and Honda are very closely matched in pricing/service costs etc..
There really isn't much to choose between them.

KTM is definitely more expensive but they do use higher quality components and they add small things like hydraulic clutches instead of cable ones. Little things like that.
Performance wise there is very little difference between the KTM's and the Japanese brands.

Anyone who is racing enduros/MX seriously will be spending big bucks in the spares department, it doesn't matter what brand you are riding. The nature of that type of racing just simply breaks things all the time.
However if the bike is used for just fun riding then they are all pretty bullet-proof, unless of course you decide to plant the bike and your face into a termite mound or something :wink:
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Unless you're quite light, I don't think 13kW would be enough. Lot's of my friends have MX bikes (including both my brothers) and every one of them that bought 125's ended up buying 250s in about 2-3 months and said it was a mistake to buy a 125 (I think the 125s even had more than 13kW).

Is the 230F a 230cc 4-stroke?
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Yup tis a 230cc 4-stroke

SBSP - i guess the best way to decide is to organise a test ride.
Yamaha in my area invited me to come on a sugar cane run with them so i could test the WR450. Maybe phone the Honda dealer and ask?
Although since you are still new to the off-road bike scene it will be quite hard to choose. The 230R will feel very quick when you first try it.
Last edited by Screeper on 14 Feb 2008, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Hex_Rated wrote:Unless you're quite light, I don't think 13kW would be enough. Lot's of my friends have MX bikes (including both my brothers) and every one of them that bought 125's ended up buying 250s in about 2-3 months and said it was a mistake to buy a 125 (I think the 125s even had more than 13kW).

What stroke 125s were they ?

a 125 2t is pretty mutch the same as a 250F ?

a 250 2 stroke is too much.

Like screeper sais it difficuilt cus you cant tell by riding once.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

I weigh just under 70 BTW
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

The 125 2-strokes are hard work to ride hard and fast for long periods of time. Their narrow power band means you are constantly changing gears to keep the engine screaming. The 250 4-strokes are so much easier to ride, less gear changing (cos of higher torque) and a much more linear power delivery so the engine doesn't need to be screaming for it to deliver good power.

So a straight sprint round a track for a couple of minutes will mean a very close race but take them for a ride in the bush for the morning and the 2-stroke riders will start feeling the strain.
Plus the 4-strokes are more reliable, use less fuel and require less servicing.

All this talk of off-road riding makes me want to leap on a bike and ride off into the dust :roll:
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

The KTM's are awesome but are also more expensive! I reckon I will upgrade to one when I am better but for a first time bike I would (and did) stay away from the really expensive machines. The CRF 230 is an awesome little machine from everything I have read and heard, have chatted to a few owners who are really happy with them and rate them near unbreakable. They go anywhere and do just about anything I'm told. Stay away from the 250R as a first bike, it's geared for the MX track and has very short ratio gearing so you're riding it hard and to learn on it will be very difficult! If you want the 250 then rather get the CRF 250 X as it's designed more for enduro riding and with the gearing being longer ratio is easier to ride. I have one (see sig) and I'm very happy with it, MORE than enough grunt and handles very well.
Another good bike to consider is the KDX200, guys rave about it especially as a first bike. It's nice and cheap, good power and really strong (hard to break) so keep it in mind when you're looking around. Try ride 1 or 2 different bikes if you can to get an idea of what they offer. --> I'll even let you take mine for a short spin if you're still looking in 2 or 3 months (I need to collect it from my old man in natal... I miss it so much :cry: )

And remember; ATGATT!!! I was in too much of a hurry to ride when I got my bike and hadn't received my chest protector (was being posted) and a few other goodies but went riding anyway. Had some awesome rides till the day I locked my front wheel on the Sani Pass road and it slid out. Broke my collar bone and 3 ribs and had to ride home.... 2 hours of agony!! Was off the bike for 2 months!!!! No cool. So make sure you have ALL the kit before riding, it's worth the slight discomfort, far less discomfort than broken bones!
Remember, you WILL fall, but if you're kitted properly then you greatly minimise your chance of injury... I have learnt the hard way!

Also, go browse through www.e-dirt.co.za 's forums for good advice and tips. There is a guy on there called tombstone who runs weekely De Wildt "newbie rides" that everyone raves about (I still wanna do one when I get my bike up to pta). It's great because apparently De Wildt is awesome to ride but if you don't know the place you will get veeeery lost!

We must hook up in the future and go for a ride or two!

just my oh-so-humble opinion!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I've got a Yamaha YZ 125, and it's an absolute BEAST. The power that that engine is capable of is really amazing.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

DAE_JA_VOO Its probably a 125 2 stroke ? 125 4 storkes are crappy.

Friggs yea thats why i wana go for the 230 cus i still need to buy kit.

I have some friends that will sponsor me some of their old stuff.

I belive you must wear kit!
Time in again when i take my quad for a spin i see these big shots going fast with no helmets.

Iv seen bent metal accidents , No matter who you are your head is weaker than metal.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

SBSP wrote:DAE_JA_VOO Its probably a 125 2 stroke ? 125 4 storkes are crappy.
Yeah it's a 2 stroke :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

SBSP wrote:
Hex_Rated wrote:Unless you're quite light, I don't think 13kW would be enough. Lot's of my friends have MX bikes (including both my brothers) and every one of them that bought 125's ended up buying 250s in about 2-3 months and said it was a mistake to buy a 125 (I think the 125s even had more than 13kW).

What stroke 125s were they ?

a 125 2t is pretty mutch the same as a 250F ?

a 250 2 stroke is too much.

Like screeper sais it difficuilt cus you cant tell by riding once.
They all had 125cc 2 strokes. YZ125, CR125 and KX125. Each of those bike put out more than 20kW but as has been mentioned, the power delivery of a 2 stroke is different to a 4 stroke. If I were you I would buy a 230F second hand so you don't lose so much money when you sell it. One of my friends does still have a small 4 stroke (<=250cc) and he's had it for quite a while, but he wasn't as heavy into it as my most of my other friends who learnt for 3-4 months on a bike that wasn't so powerful (125cc 2 stroke) and then sold them and bought either 250cc 2 strokes or 400cc 4 strokes.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

oops, forgot to add ATGATT stands for All The Gear All The Time!

I honestly believe you won't go wrong buying the CRF230. Enjoy!
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Okay thanks people.

I went for the CRF230 and finance is approved.

Now to get past the sneaky sales people!!!

They loaded a service plan of +- R100 Pm + 2 year extended warranty. :twisted:

Told them 100 +12 +5 = R6000 on services in 5 years. ????

I'm sure i can service it my self for way less than that.
Aslo i get 6mnths factory warranty long enough for the bike to show factory problems + the warrant will prly not cover damage ive done.

And whats the interest rate +- ? or prime or what ever they call it ?

Please help

Thanks
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

From all accounts the 230 is one of the easiest dirt bikes to service due to the simplicity of the engine, rock solid and dirt cheap/easy to service. I wouldn't take the service plan, really not worth it. You should get an owner's manual (I did with my 250) which has step by step instructions on what to service and when. If you get stuck with anything just post on a dirt bike site like edirt and you'll have a bunch of guys helping you out.

Well done!!!

Edit. Also wouldn't take the extended warranty personally, you're anyway going to be spending cash on the bike because you WILL fall and things will break or bend. trust me, it's unavoidable :D

Another very important aspect, especially when financing is to get decent insurance. I phoned budget (have household and car with - but not for long) and they quoted me about R650 pm, madness. I got insurance through Dirtsure for R200 pm with a free monthly copy of Enduro World mag. Awesome service and you can see the price difference. Yours will be even less as they go on bike value not rider ability or engine size or or or.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Kwl thanks

I currently have insurance on my quad with smart credit, they arnt that bad so
I will add it onto that
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

So when do you fetch your new toy? got all the kit yet? I see full throttle is (as usual) having massive sale to make some space for new stock, still wanna go check it out.