Cone Filter - Does it make a difference?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
juDge

Cone Filter - Does it make a difference?

Post by juDge »

Hey guys, i have a VW Citi Rhythm Golf 1.4 (carb) and wondering if getting a cone filter like maybe a K&N would give me some more power and a better sound? I have friends telling me YES and some saying NO???

Any suggestions?
Intel Corei5 2500 3.3GHZ
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333mhz Ram
Asus P8H67-M Motherboard
MSI 570GTX-Twin-Frozr-III Power Edition OC
Coollermaster HAF 922 Case
Coollermaster Extreme 550w PSU
Samsung 24" LED S24A350H 2ms
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I'm almost 100% sure you'll get an increase in power, you just won't feel it. But if you had to do a 400m drag, for instance, you'll see better times.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Better sound yes but without a proper CAI and shielding your power will drop.

The cone will suck in all the hot air in the engine and thus reduce power as colder air = greater amount of O2.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I say forget it. As maxxis says, without a proper Cold Air Intake it's going to do jack and could in fact harm your engine. Rather just get yourself a replacement flat panel filter from the likes of K&N or BMC.
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

It will make a nice noise though... But agreed with Maxxis
Is this thing on?Helloooo?
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

It will make a difference :) The guys on vw forums tested that up to a 9hp difference was made from the cone filter. A 9 hp loss that is.
naughty

Post by naughty »

at best you will gain a percent or two on the power - but it will make a better sound - so if you want it for the sound then no problems - if you install it properly then the best power gain you will see is around 2%

k&n is expensive - so IMHO only do it if you have the cash to spare for useless toys - i had a 1.6 carb chico and i put in the kingdragon flatpad filter - the only reason this was useful cos at every service you could just wash it and use two stroke oil to lubricate it again and just dump it back in - but then again the standard filter was only like R15 - so paying R300 for one of those means you need to replace it 20 times before it pays for itself

it did make a satisfying noise though - thats if you like your engine rowdy and noisy - it sounds more powerful but it really wasnt
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

I have a 1.4i Citi, and with a flat pad I get better performance
I also have a cone... nicer noise - BUT I must say two things happen
#1. You floor it too much because of the nice sound (higher fuel gluc gluc)
#2. You lose power in town while driving slowly... (HEAT GETS THERE !!)

At the end of the day to get the advantage of a better breathing system -
Is to do the whole thing, Induction kit for a cone, free flow system with branches. Maybe even a cam .. but now we are talking big bucks hey ??
Temporary Absence
juDge

Post by juDge »

Thanks for the responses guys, alot of mixed opinions..
I know as much about cars and car parts as i do about quantum physics (which is squat :lol: ) so i rely on the advice i get from others

Not sure what to do..
Intel Corei5 2500 3.3GHZ
Asus P8H67-M Motherboard
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

I'm in the same boat as you juDge when it comes to cars, although I can say that from what I've learnt, a cone is not the way to go. A nice flat panel replacement filter works better and produces the same (maybe a little less) noise. Flat panels sound nice and the work well, thats why manufacturers put them in to start with.
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
Kennyisalive

Post by Kennyisalive »

A cone filter will give you more power all you need to do is get the right fittings and then ekstend the pipe to the front of the car just beheind the grill and the filter will take in cold air and not the hot air from the engin
Don't Click me
Forum Points:10018000
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

The only problem is that in order to get CAI or a cone to work properly, you need to spend about R400 if not more to get the proper stuff to get it to work. Thats why going for a replacement flat panel is a better more affordable option. 1) it gives you the same sound as a cone 2) it more wallet-friendly 3) it also saves you having to mess around in the engine compartment with detaching the factory filter etc.
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Listen, if you want it sounding better, you can de-trumpet the air box. Buy a cheapy flat bed or something but just not a cone dude. Seriously, on vws, its not the way to go. Its actually designed for turbo'd cars.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

On the VW Forum....MOST okes will tell you not to put in a cone cos you will lose power. It sounds good, but you might suffer with a small power loss. There are a few guys though that get a small pwer gain, about 4-5 hp (go to the vw forum and do a search).

What they say the best option is, is leave the standard filter in, but de-trumpet the box :wink:
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
juDge

Post by juDge »

Umm what does de-trumpet mean and what is the box? :?
Intel Corei5 2500 3.3GHZ
Asus P8H67-M Motherboard
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Take out 2 little cone things :P
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

take restriction out of youre airbox and you will have more gain then with cone filter,

stay with flatpad filter better option and just might save u some cash
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

also be careful, i had a cone filter on my old taz i had, and it made a huge performance difference for me, and the sound was incredible, bare in mind tho i also bore my piston holes and put bigger pistons in and also better quality valves and skimmed the piston heads, but anyways before i did that the air filter alone worked like a bomb! BUT then i took it in to get the carb refurbished and the damn oke tuned my carb in a way that it sucked in 2 much air and didnt set it back to how it should be! so i put foot and 2 much oxygen is mixed in with the fuel, causes major problems....so just be careful cause if u modify it be prepared to pay extra cash for ppl who know how to work on modified cars.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

De-trumpet....in the air filter box, you will see a piece of plastic that directs air flow. Think the name comes from that piece kinda looking like a trumpet. Take it out. There is a right way of doing it and a wrong way. Search google / VW Club forum just to be safe...

Try these: :wink:
http://www.vwclub.co.za/vwforum/viewtop ... ht=trumpet
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

A Cone Filter will produce results on a large engine provided it is installed correctly...

With your car, i would definitely stick with a flat pad - BMC or K&N. Maybe get something to redirect cold air into it also?
psyko

Post by psyko »

any vw after 94 exept carb models have the best airbox you could ever want so mutch so tha on a 1.4i you lose about 1.5 - 2 BHP (when switching to cone filter on a stock motor) so swiss chease the airbox and or detrupet it...
Mauritzvw1

Post by Mauritzvw1 »

Erm... guys I dont think his carb model has trumpets :wink:

On the subject... it only sounds better

To get a power increase that is truly "feelable" you need to do intake system and exhaust even so about 5% power increase is practicle

add gasflow + valves + chip or remap and you lookin at about 7-15% total

all this depends on model and tuner and is only a generalization from my own experience

ps. when you put a branch and freeflow the induction noise from de-trumpeting goes away :)

IMHO
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

This is what i did.

Go to a scrap yard and buy an old Golf Carb Air Box.

I drew you a quick pic.

Edit this is viewing it from the top as you open the bonnet the circle in the picture (Carb side) is opposite you that thing sticking out is where it sucks air

There where it sais cut her cut it off with a hacksaw blade or what ever you call it.
Those blue things :lol:

Fit it and tja tja thing you will hear some difference, Ive tried every thing even drilled holes underneath before the filter no diff, but this made is sound like a
Yamaha R1 at high revs, But note what Maxxis said

This will also make it run lean remember its on top of the motor hot air rises, (Kind of extends over to where the altinator sits with a bunch of open pulleys
Last edited by SBSP on 08 Jan 2008, 16:36, edited 2 times in total.
psyko

Post by psyko »

Mauritzvw1 wrote:Erm... guys I dont think his carb model has trumpets :wink:

On the subject... it only sounds better

To get a power increase that is truly "feelable" you need to do intake system and exhaust even so about 5% power increase is practicle

add gasflow + valves + chip or remap and you lookin at about 7-15% total

all this depends on model and tuner and is only a generalization from my own experience

ps. when you put a branch and freeflow the induction noise from de-trumpeting goes away :)

IMHO
i agree with you... on a turbo motor or high compression engine a conefilter is an advantage to high speed when mounted outside otherwise its bling and uses more pertol for no reason
Mauritzvw1

Post by Mauritzvw1 »

Thx Psyko :) Welcome to the forum :wink: