The Best Anime of 2007 and What's Hot in 2008

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Woah! Lots of good shows that I'm missing out on.

I see Claymore isn't listed anywhere. It'll probably fall under 2008.

And wth!? No awards for best dialogue...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Claymore was in the run for something...
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Oh, it was there for best action.

Well I can't whether or not it's better than Tengen since I haven't watched the latter. Have you and is it any good?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Gurren-Lagann is one crazy show.

Claymore aint really astounding as far as action goes so I would have to agree.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

The Tokyo International Anime Fair has announced the winners of the 7th annual Tokyo Anime Awards.

Khara's Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone movie remake was named the Animation of the Year for 2007. Under the rules of the award, the winning film must be one that "made the greatest contribution to the world of anime" during the year of its release. Dennō Coil, Madhouse's near-future technological adventure, and Gainax's science-fiction series Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann took the honors in the Television Category. Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase was recognized in the Original Video Category, and Summer Days with Coo won in the (domestic) Feature Film Category. In addition, Pixar's Ratatouille was recognized in the Overseas Feature Film category. The Girl Who Lept Through Time, Code Geass, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Death Note, Arashi no Yoru ni, Paprika, Aim for the Top 2!, Freedom, and Cars were among last year's winners.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... f-the-year
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Tekkonkinkreet

That's one dandy name...
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

According to reports a hint has been dropped in the Trigun Maximum manga that the Trigun movie is slated for a 2009 release. Reports suggest the movie would centre on” a Vash vs. Wolfwood" theme
Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Should I :

(a) finish Kenichi (got upto #25)?
(b) get Gundam 00?
(c) get Darker Than Black?
(d) get something else?

This is an uphill battle with limited bandwidth. I can pull one 26x show. What to watch?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I'm watching Darker Than Black right now.

I'm on episode 6. It's pretty cool so far!
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Darker Than Black.

Gundam 00, I thought you didn't favour mecha anime?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I do not like mecha. I do appreciate good action bundled with a decent plot however and to be blunt there's so much crap airing at the moment my options are minimal. I also checked out a few comments on weekly shows on sites like http://randomc.animeblogger.net , http://novastorm.animeblogger.net and http://kzi.animeblogger.net and Gundam doesn't look all that bad.

I am very biased towards dark anime but even I must give credit where it's due.

So... I pulled Darker Than Black (lol). Well to be exact only the first 15x episodes. Now I'll pull some Gundam and Ghost Hound.

Btw I watched a bit of Kenichi and it's awesome so I'll also make a plan to finish that soon.

April is a big month for anime! Good shows coming. Luckily Rosario, H20, Bamboo Blade, True Tears, Spice And Wolf, They Are My Noble Masters and Minami-ke : Okawari are coming to a close. It was a mission for me to keep up with all of this crap.

Oh and yeah I'm also watching a bit of Angel Heart, not too bad.

And Strait Jacket as well, which aint all too impressive imo.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Thanks for the sites!
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Cant say I've really been impressed thusfar, though imo :

Worst of Q1 2008 : HTO : Footprints in the Sand & Rosario + Vampire

Better of Q1 2008 : Spice and Wolf & True Tears

Best of Q1 2008 : Shigofumi

This show addresses very serious issues. So much so that murder seems justified. Elfen Lied did this too, but unlike the fantasy tale Elfen topics covered in this anime are true to life and actually happen all around us. This was in fact one of a few shows forced to alter episodes based on recent school killings in Japan as it was airing at the time. Nothing graphic, nothing violent, but it hits home hard just showing harsh reality.

Anyway... More than forty shows are starting this month. Two by Bones, Soul Eater and Nijuu-Mensou no Musume. I'll look into a few but I'm just about bored with anime again. Had a little overdose lately so I'm taking a break again soon.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Thanks for the updates!
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Anyone seen Druaga no To - The Aegis Of Uruk yet? Watch it!
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

What a crazy month with so many new shows starting, most of them crap though. Personal quick run-through -

Allison to Lillia
Following this.

Kurenai
Following this. One of the better seasonal shows.

To Love-Ru
Dropped. Not waisting any more bandwidth on this crap.

Druaga no Tou : The Aegis of Uruk
Following this. Excellent opening episode. Thusfar probably my favorite. Good old-school fantasy dungeon-runner. Go watch it for free [url=ttp://www.crunchyroll.com]online[/url] if you wan't to, GONZO says you can. Now aint that nice of them? You bet your bottom it is! It's streamed weekly the exact same time it airs in Japan. Go donate R15 and support them, doing so gives you 5 download tickets, one for you and four for your mates.

Blassreiter
Might drop this... CGI action scenes, not too good... As with Druaga though, free-to-view from the good peeps at GONZO!

Kanokon
WTF? /Dropped. Ayako picked up all the crap this season.

Itazura na Kiss
Following this.

Amatsuki
Following this.

Kamen no Maid Guy
**** knows why I'm watching this but... Might drop this soon, will see.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
Can't comment. Got the first three eps but I'm still watching the first season.

Special A
Following this.

Nabari no Ou
Following this.

Soul Eater
Following this. Iz good...

Vampire Knight
Following this. Not what I expected it would be though.

Crystal Blaze
Following this. Interesting show.

Nijuu-Mensou no Musume
Following this. Apart from Soul Eater the only new BONES production so I feel compelled to. Not too bad though.

Golgo 13
Following this. / For now... too long to finish any time soon.

(Following this = Good enough to watch another episode)

Thank God the schedule for the upcoming months aren't this hectic.

As the shows mature I'll sort the good from the bad again.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Hmm, ToLove-Ru and Kanokon seem pretty cool IMO :P
Well, I havent seen any episode of either yet, but they look pretty interesting! :P

Itazura na Kiss as well, then Soul Eater seems pretty good and im sure that is.

Vampire Knight also seems good, havent decided on a fansubbing group to go with yet, so far I think there are only 2 who sub it? :?
With Code Geass R2, im getting that as the first season was apparently pretty good..soo. I msut try get my hands on that first, then watch it then if I time it correctly I can flow through both seasons as if they are both completely released.etc without having to wait another week or whatever for another episode :P

Ill check out a few other series which you say are decent...
But once again everybody likes different things and has different taste in anime...
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

PsyCLown wrote:Vampire Knight also seems good, havent decided on a fansubbing group to go with yet, so far I think there are only 2 who sub it?
Ureshii. For Druaga Nova-Furakawa. Believe it or not but, GONZO have errors in their subs (yeah, they even oficially subbed it for you).

Note most the 720p shows are 350Mb per episode though. 1080p Ghost Hound is just over 400Mb per episode but I'm sticking with Genjo's 720p's, their one of the best groups at current.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

8O

That's a lot of anime.

But, as always, the updates are genuinely appreciated. :wink:
larch

Post by larch »

There us really nothing that is currently of the same quality level as last years stuff.

Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
Gigantic Formula
Hellsing Ultimate
Macross Frontier

That is the sum total of my monthly downloads each month I went from 80gb per month to 11gb.....
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Add Toshokan Sensou to this season's must watch list, another Production I.G. show.

I'll be putting most of those prior listed on ice for a while, this is costing me too much.

I'll be sticking with Kurenai, Toshokan Sensou, Soul Eater, Nijuu-Mensou no Musume, Druaga no Tou and Code Geass R2. None of the others are top 30 material anyway.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Hehe, so what's really worth downloading that's new? :twisted: I'm sure I'll have some bandwidth left at the end of this month ;)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

There's a whole lot of "new" but very few of them are good. I like my drama and character developments and set four from over forty aside which I will stick with. I don't know what you like, action? Sadly there aren't any good action shows running at the moment. The current comedies I've outgrown like ten years ago too.

So what genre are you looking at?
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Action or comedy hehe :lol:
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Lol, your out of luck then.

/ Macross Frontier and CG : R2 (you need watch the first season though). If a new comedy is a must then probably To Love-Ru. Nabari no Ou is action, but the male lead is gay.