Matric 2007

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Matric 2007

Post by D3PART3D »

Congrats to all the dudes who've made it!

And to those who didn't, it isn't the end of the world ;)

I got my matric in 2005 but I wrote again this year for exemption - w00tness! I passed everything and I'll be doing a BA Humanities, Psychology and Philosophy as my majors along with Jodus.

:D :D :D
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

yeah Congrats to all who made it...

personally I am not one to work my butt off to get distinctions and I am happy to get 70 and up... funny though how just the other day read in the paper on how matriculants have trouble getting jobs...

yes ok, many go to varsity after school, but for those who would like to get some money while studying, that just screws everything... and now this morning you read on those peeps that get like 10 distinctions...

I mean WTF?? yes it proves that they are hard workers, and in many cases they usually get bursaries... still I find that, why do so much, if some of the subjects you will never/hardly use in future? or at least, not as frequent as others...

your views on this? yes I seem a bit 'close minded', but that is just how I see it...

sorry DP if I hijack the thread...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Congrats! Saw the headlines in the newspaper that 2007 pass rate was not good compared to last year....
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Congratz to all who passed :occasion9: :occasion7:

:wav:
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
Judas

Post by Judas »

Congrats D3PART3D, and everyone else who passed!

Off-The-Chart wrote: I mean WTF?? yes it proves that they are hard workers, and in many cases they usually get bursaries... still I find that, why do so much, if some of the subjects you will never/hardly use in future? or at least, not as frequent as others...
In my opinion, most of the subjects you take at school will benefit you in some way, even if indirectly. Maths? Teaches you logic and problem solving. Economics? Everybody needs to know how the economy works these days. History? To quote David C. McCullough, "History is who we are and why we are the way we are."

Regardless of the utility of the knowledge, the act of learning is an end in itself. Learning sharpens your mind, and knowledge is the one thing that cannot be taken away from you.

"Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere. " ~Chinese Proverb
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Congrats guys!!
I remember stressing like a mad thing this time, and I didnt pass, but got to re-write in March :? :oops:

Congrats D3PART3D!!! Have a manic party dude :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Congrats guys :D

Unfortunately, thanks to our pathetic department of education, matric is the easiest thing to get and getting it is HARDLY any kind of achievement, but it's finishing school, which is fantastic :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Judas wrote:History? To quote David C. McCullough, "History is who we are and why we are the way we are."
Problem is history seems to change depending on who the government of the day is.

And no - this is not a rant against the current regime but rather the old one. :wink:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

Well I could barely sleep last night for I was waiting for the matric results.
Woke up at 6 (not like a even slept) and walked straight to the garage to buy the morning mercury. And with sweaty palms I scrambled to search for my results. yeah I passed with one distiction for computer studies.

I found out now that I got 79% for computers and they condoned me to an A lol. Then I look further down and notice I got 78% for science. Ah lord my whole aim for the exams was an A for science so that means now I have to go and get a remark done.

Lol anyways ignore my little pitying myself session.

Congrats to all my fellow matrics of 2007. We've finally gotten through the lot!
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Unfortunately, thanks to our pathetic department of education, matric is the easiest thing to get and getting it is HARDLY any kind of achievement, but it's finishing school, which is fantastic :D
I totally agree with this statement DAE.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

DeanMF wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Unfortunately, thanks to our pathetic department of education, matric is the easiest thing to get and getting it is HARDLY any kind of achievement, but it's finishing school, which is fantastic :D
Well, it's true dude. When i was in matric, i missed my final exams (dad passed away the day before they started) and then i was forced to write the next year. I wrote a few in march of the next year (for which i didn't study AT ALL), and then i wrote a few more at the end of the year (didn't study for those either).

Now, understand that i didn't do any school after my matric year, but i still passed the matric exams i wrote a YEAR LATER without studying anything.

That's why i say, it's hardly an achievement... you need to literally TRY to fail matric to fail it... and you'll even struggle then...

Nevertheless, you guys (those of you who just finished matric) just finished school, and THAT is certainly an achievement. Congrats :D
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

congrats to all those that past. be sure to make the correct decisions bout ur futures NOW!!!
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
DeanMF wrote:
Well, it's true dude. When i was in matric, i missed my final exams (dad passed away the day before they started) and then i was forced to write the next year. I wrote a few in march of the next year (for which i didn't study AT ALL), and then i wrote a few more at the end of the year (didn't study for those either).

Now, understand that i didn't do any school after my matric year, but i still passed the matric exams i wrote a YEAR LATER without studying anything.

That's why i say, it's hardly an achievement... you need to literally TRY to fail matric to fail it... and you'll even struggle then...

Nevertheless, you guys (those of you who just finished matric) just finished school, and THAT is certainly an achievement. Congrats :D
Try the IEB exams then. They certainly weren't the easiest little buggers when I wrote them 5 years back. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Ron2K wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
DeanMF wrote:

Try the IEB exams then. They certainly weren't the easiest little buggers when I wrote them 5 years back. :wink:
Yeah, the exams only started getting so lame about a year before i was in matric. Before that they were apparently quite tough... and you actually needed to study for them :P
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yeah, the exams only started getting so lame about a year before i was in matric.
Extract from the science paper:

Sipho drives an 18 seater minibus taxi. To avoid overcrowding, he never travels with more than 32 passengers. Assuming that he travels at 50ms^-1 (180km/h), and can only decelerate at 2ms^-2 due to the brakes being made out of cardboard, what is his stopping distance?

a) 150m
b) 625m
c) 10m, as there is another passenger to pick up
d) None of the above, as the cardboard brakes will disintegrate after 5s
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Ron2K wrote:Try the IEB exams then. They certainly weren't the easiest little buggers when I wrote them 5 years back. :wink:
What exams are these?
Moses

Post by Moses »

Independent Examination Board. I wrote them too. They have them at private schools.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Well done to all that passed :thumbright:

I wrote mine in 2005 so it feels somewhat good to be over school now.

For some it is off to Varsity and for others it is off to the real world and start making your own money :lol: :lol:

Good luck :wink:
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Moses wrote:Independent Examination Board. I wrote them too. They have them at private schools.
I wrote matric 7 years ago, and it was certainly not as easy as it seems to be now as well :wink:
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

yep, I am also one of the older generation when the matric exams were not the easiest...

I managed to do quite well, considering most of my time was spent falling asleep in class... and no, this is not like the normal "yeah the class was so boring we all fell asleep" kind of sleep... at the time we were told it was a slight case of narcolepsy which was quite hectic at times...

e.g. in maths, when we did trig, I would start falling asleep while writing and instead of writing something like 'sec', I would end up writing something like 'sex'... :P

at some times I would start writing what my mind was wandering off to, and at that time I was still fresh into Magic: The Gathering... so half my work would end up being about magic cards... :lol:

/end of sob story
jee

Post by jee »

hell, i wrote matric longer ago that most of you are old *grins*
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Off-The-Chart wrote:...and at that time I was still fresh into Magic: The Gathering... so half my work would end up being about magic cards... :lol:
I can see myself writing about health potions and pets healing me and dungeon monsters :lol: :lol: :lol:
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

hehehe Jee, I didn't want to bring up age cause there are sensitive readers you know... :P

rofl Dean... Diablo?
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Off-The-Chart wrote:rofl Dean... Diablo?
Nah, Rappelz :lol:
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

lol congrats all matrics .... but when you come to university you wonder why am i getting bust in exams so badly i wish i was in school .... then you when you think about how hard getting a degree is and you wonder why i never got 100% for all subjects in school.... :(

Well dont be so happy if you going to university next year :twisted:

for those taking a holiday for a year or what not .... YOU LUCKY BAST@RDS