Macross F (Frontier) First Impressions

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

StarBound wrote:Does it hold any referance to the original macross/Robotech saga?
Yes and No.

From what I can see, it follows from the Macross 7 timeline (Macross Zero -> Macross -> Macross Plus -> Macross 7).

The Macross series is the series used for the first saga of Robotech, but I think they changed a lot of the technobabble to make it more compatible with the other two sagas (for example protoculture: it's an ancient race in Macross, but a energy source in Robotech).

According to Wikipedia, the complete Macross F has started to air from 3rd of April, with the third episode airing tonight. They have six episodes listed.
larch

Post by larch »

endev8003 wrote:
StarBound wrote:Does it hold any referance to the original macross/Robotech saga?
Yes and No.

From what I can see, it follows from the Macross 7 timeline (Macross Zero -> Macross -> Macross Plus -> Macross 7).

The Macross series is the series used for the first saga of Robotech, but I think they changed a lot of the technobabble to make it more compatible with the other two sagas (for example protoculture: it's an ancient race in Macross, but a energy source in Robotech).

According to Wikipedia, the complete Macross F has started to air from 3rd of April, with the third episode airing tonight. They have six episodes listed.
No protoculture was always an energy source all the wars that broke out between the humans Invid and other alien races were due to protoculture and the power one gains by controlling it.
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

No protoculture was always an energy source all the wars that broke out between the humans Invid and other alien races were due to protoculture and the power one gains by controlling it.
I always got the impression from Macross Zero that the alien in the last episode was one of the protoculture. :?

I won't argue with you, larch. You probably know more about it than I do.
larch

Post by larch »

Protoculture was a powerful energy source, a catalyst in genetic engineering, a hallucinatory substance, and the described "lifeblood" of two different races. As the "foodstuff" and the by-product of the Flower of Life, it is used by one race, the Invid, in "finding the ultimate lifeform through the ritualistic eating." The Robotech Masters also call it "the lifeblood of our existence," and say their "foremost goal is to control this life force by conquering Earth."
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

larch wrote:Protoculture was a powerful energy source, a catalyst in genetic engineering, a hallucinatory substance, and the described "lifeblood" of two different races. As the "foodstuff" and the by-product of the Flower of Life, it is used by one race, the Invid, in "finding the ultimate lifeform through the ritualistic eating." The Robotech Masters also call it "the lifeblood of our existence," and say their "foremost goal is to control this life force by conquering Earth."
That is the definition of protoculture in the Robotech universe.

In the Macross universe it is actually a race (or culture):
In the world of Macross Protoculture serves both to refer to the first extraterrestrial humanoid civilization itself ("Protoculture" being "Early Culture" or "The First Culture) and earthling culture itself.

According to the official chronology of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Japanese animated series, the Protoculture became the first advanced civilization in the known universe 500,000 years ago. Protoculture's first space colonization began with the use of sub-light-velocity spaceships after 2400 years.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

endev8003 is right

In the Macross universe, Protoculture was the earliest culture where men and woman, or Meltran and Zeltran lived together.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Well this aint at all bad. Should I watch anything prior to watching this though?

Also watching Gundam 00, last ep #11, not too bad either.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:Well this aint at all bad. Should I watch anything prior to watching this though?

Also watching Gundam 00, last ep #11, not too bad either.
You can watch it as a standalone show no need for the other shows you might not get the techno babble now and then but thats about it.
VoxynQueen

Post by VoxynQueen »

If you do watch previous series, I recommend you DON'T watch Macross 7.
I just watched the first five episodes, apart from the outdated animation style (which is not too much of a problem) the story seems to be HIGHLY focussed on a wannabe singer.
The blowing up and flying/fighting action is kinda secondary.
It annoyed me. :(
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Nah I just wanna watch this so I'm glad it's stand-alone.

Thank you.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:Nah I just wanna watch this so I'm glad it's stand-alone.

Thank you.
I recommend AonE-Gekkostate-Menclave they are a bit slower but the quality and translations are way above the rest.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yes, I'm pulling theirs.
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

I remember Macross (am I right in thinking Robotech?) from then I was a little kid -I had no idea they made a sequel/follow-up -this is awesome, I now have two sequels to that cult favourite to look for! Thanks Larch!

To correct an earlier post, Macross Plus (I believe the first 4-part OVA, not the movie remake) did show on DSTV's old Scifi channel

"Look up, look up, look up, the sky is falling" I still remember that drag-queens song :)
PM for details
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

AnimeNewsNetwork

"Triangler," Maaya Sakamoto's opening theme song for the ongoing Macross Frontier space opera television anime, has stayed on Oricon's weekly top-10 chart for all Japanese singles for a second week. A week after its April 23 debut at #2, "Triangler" now stands at #6. The ending theme "Diamond Crevasse" officially launches on May 8, but it already ranks at #2 on Oricon's daily singles chart for May 6. May'n sings "Diamond Crevasse" as the fictional idol singer Sheryl Nome. Yoko Kanno (Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell) composed and arranged both songs.
1st Anime Album in 11 Years to Rank in Japan's Top 3

The original soundtrack for the Macross Frontier science-fiction anime series has reached #3 on Oricon's next weekly chart of all albums sold in Japan. The 72,000 sold copies make Macross Frontier Original Soundtrack I: Nyan Fro the first anime soundtrack to reach the chart's top 3 rankings in nearly 11 years. The last anime album to reach #3 or higher was The End of Evangelion soundtrack, which was first released on September 26, 1997. More sales of the Macross Frontier soundtrack are expected as many music stores across Japan had sold out and had to reorder more copies.

The first Macross series spawned a film, The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?, and Mari Iijima's movie theme "Do You Remember Love?" became a top-ten single for six straight weeks as well as a top-40 song for all of 1984.
Hell it looks like Yoko Kanno and Maaya Sakamoto can do no wrong; I know the Visions of Escaflowne OST was an example of what the two of them can accomplice but I never thought that they could soar to such great heights.
Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
larch

Post by larch »

LOL! damn strait. I will have Yoko Kanno's kids just because she did the GITS SAC OST which I loved.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Episode 14 was really good.
larch

Post by larch »

Episode 7 was still the best :P
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

True too, but personally too much singing's getting on me nerves. But, I'll admit Sheryl crying on stage unable to sing in First Strike was actually a sweet moment.

I still have no idea what's the story with Ranka though. You oke's sure I did not have to watch anything prior to this?

Why does the Vajra react to her? What is she?
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:True too, but personally too much singing's getting on me nerves. But, I'll admit Sheryl crying on stage unable to sing in First Strike was actually a sweet moment.

I still have no idea what's the story with Ranka though. You oke's sure I did not have to watch anything prior to this?

Why does the Vajra react to her? What is she?
LOL@Rayne I have watched all of the series and I cant even tell you why, guess we will have to find out
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I see. Just making sure, thought the shows like a legacy or something (like when they found the original Macross in episode 13) so I had the impression the story may have led up to the current happenings.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Watch Robotech. It'll explain alot.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

SoulBlade wrote:Watch Robotech. It'll explain alot.
I wouldn't rely solely on Robotech. Some of the key explanations has changed in the conversion from Macross to Robotech.

I would rather look for a wiki or some other type of resource site for more information on some of the technicalities in Macross.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
larch

Post by larch »

SoulBlade wrote:Watch Robotech. It'll explain alot.
Err sorry I don't think watching Robotech would help.

http://www.robotech-universe.com/
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah but the thing with wiki is your happily reading along and then without warning out of nowhere they give away the plot in that very next sentence.

I wont touch wiki without finishing a show first. No worries I'll just wait 'till they explain it later.
larch

Post by larch »

check the link i gave you Ryan