Macross F (Frontier) First Impressions

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Macross F (Frontier) First Impressions

Post by larch »

"Macross Frontier (Macross F) is an upcoming anime television series in the Macross universe. It is being produced by Satelight and is scheduled to premiere in 2008 on MBS channel in Japan. The series will celebrate the 25th anniversary of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series (1982~1983), and will be a direct sequel to its follow-up Macross 7 (1994~1996). This third TV series will feature the U.N. Spacy' latest main variable fighter, the VF-25 and a new spaceship called the Macross Frontier.

Official Website: http://www.macrossf.com/

Yes! seem the first episode has finally been released.! Long has the waiting been for another Macross show and since Macross Zero was so short it only served to wet my mecha fan boy appetite. The first episode was released at around 18:00 last night.

My first impression of this show is...... WOW the CG work is just jaw dropping, reminds me a lot of the CG in Macross Zero. The way they animated the VF-25 is just amazing and the "flight suite" is also animated with the same quality and skill level as all the fighters.

Cant say lots about the plot yet since its only one episode and still to early and not wanting to give much away. But I can already attach myself to three of the main characters in the show, this show will definitely be the mecha show to watch out for during the 2008 Anime season.

The soundtrack is what u can execpt from any Macross series epic and nature. And it seems the ending theme is a rewrite of a old love song Minmay sings during the final battle scene in the movie Macross: Do You Remember Love was pretty surprised when the ending credits rolled out and I heard it for the first time.

Now the long waits begins since the first episode ended in a cliff hanger and the next episode is only scheduled for release next year April/May.

Side Note: Credit goes to "Dust" for the screenshots thanks dude.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I think after Macross Zero they made a 49 episode series called Macross 7

I have it somewhere, but so many people have said it was rubbish that I haven't bothered watching it.

Will keep an eye out for this one tho!
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Can't they keep Minmay out for a change and focus on the veritechs and figthing alone? :-(
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
larch

Post by larch »

SoulBlade wrote:Can't they keep Minmay out for a change and focus on the veritechs and figthing alone? :-(
err.. Minmay isn't even in this story Macross Frontier is a totally different universe.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

I know. That was just a play on the whole irritating singing in the anime.
jPm

Post by jPm »

Some of the Macross I watched was pretty Good, Not too sure what they were, Maybe Zero and Plus
larch

Post by larch »

jPm wrote:Some of the Macross I watched was pretty Good, Not too sure what they were, Maybe Zero and Plus
Macross Plus would be the most likely one as it was shown on Dstv and u can buy it in the shops.

Macross Zero hasn't been licensed due to issues with harmony gold so only fansubs aviable.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

SoulBlade wrote:Can't they keep Minmay out for a change and focus on the veritechs and figthing alone? :-(
The idol is a ingrained part of Macross. Removing Minmay (from Macross DYRL) or Sharon Apple/ Myung Fang Lone (from Macross Plus) or any of the idols would destroy the Macross mythos.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

larch wrote:
jPm wrote:Some of the Macross I watched was pretty Good, Not too sure what they were, Maybe Zero and Plus
Macross Plus would be the most likely one as it was shown on Dstv and u can buy it in the shops.

Macross Zero hasn't been licensed due to issues with harmony gold so only fansubs aviable.

I believe Macross II was the only Macross title ever shown on DSTV (Sci Fi channel) Macross Plus was mentioned once though; it was when they were interviewing anime guru Mr Jonathan Clement. He was explaining about the significance of OVA’s in the Japanese animation market and happened to use Macross Plus as a reference.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Ahzure wrote:
The idol is a ingrained part of Macross. Removing Minmay (from Macross DYRL) or Sharon Apple/ Myung Fang Lone (from Macross Plus) or any of the idols would destroy the Macross mythos.
larch

Post by larch »

Ahzure Macross Plus was also shown I still have the VHS recording I made all those years ago :P
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

SoulBlade wrote:
Ahzure wrote:

I’ll start of by explaining that sentiments expressed in your first post were echoed by some of my friends. They’re EVA fans who tend to believe that EVA is the best mecha type anime series and that the whole Macross franchise is overrated. You completely won them over; so much so that they wanted to send you a Neon Genesis Evangelion Thinpak (if they had an address were to send it to.) But they don’t seem to buy you’re second post (I believe you off course and if they don’t happen to believe you that’s their problem)

Sorry though if my post looked /sounded/felt or seemed like a attack on you, I was just expressing the feelings and thoughts of someone who loves Robotech which happens to share a tenuous link with Macross.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

LOL, I grew up with Robotech. It was my first anime. Minmay was the only character that irritated me from the get-go. Singing didn't really help her either. :-)

Then again I do understand her importance in the anime.

As for mecha vs mecha, Macross (Or Robotech to some)/NGE is on par with each other - IMO.
But I think the an eva will mow down the veritechs though - depending on pilot skil. As long as a pilot of an eva can keep the distance beween him and veritech as minimal as possible he's got a better chance.
Long range belongs to the veritechs.

As for actually destroying an eva, i dunno. :? Punch through AT-field and armour and head for S2 engine?
Last edited by SoulBlade on 25 Jan 2008, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I've not seen any of Macross yet. Are they completely mech?
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

what do you mean by "completely mech"? No pilot needed, can move on it's own, inorganic?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Are they living beings or are they completely mechanical?
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

It's completely mechanical and needs a pilot.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I see. Well in general I don't quite like mecha much, which is why I put off watching Eureka Seven for more than a year but, what a pleasure it was eventually watching it. The Eva's and LFO's weren't mech's though. If I watch shows like these I would prefer a lot of human interaction. Mech's are limited by their pilots... I'll look into Macross though.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Ever watched Robotech?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I don't remember any of it even though I did.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Good. The whole Robotech series is a good place to start off. Animation is very old school. It's tempting to watch the better looking Macross series but rather start with Robotech as the main story starts there...I think...

Larch, help me out here.

I'm not too clued up about where the Macross series start.

EDIT: Robotech wiki
Macross
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Animenewsnetwork reports that wrote:Bandai Visual has announced that it will be releasing the Macross Zero video anime series in a Blu-ray Disc Box on August 22. The two discs (one BD25G, the other BD50G) will feature 16:9-aspect, 1080i-resolution high-definition video and Dolby True HD (5.1 ch) or linear PCM stereo audio. It will also include 20 page of liner notes, the "Macross Zero Zero" parody extra that was in the fourth DVD volume, and the audio commentary by the four main voice cast membrs that was in the 5th DVD volume.
Sounds good, I hope it comes with English subtitles
Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Watched it, not bad. Needs to see ep 2.
The animation is of high quality though
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Does it hold any referance to the original macross/Robotech saga?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
larch

Post by larch »

SoulBlade wrote:Good. The whole Robotech series is a good place to start off. Animation is very old school. It's tempting to watch the better looking Macross series but rather start with Robotech as the main story starts there...I think...

Larch, help me out here.

I'm not too clued up about where the Macross series start.

EDIT: Robotech wiki
Macross
pre - 1999 : Global war

1999 A ship (later designated SDF-1) crash-lands on Earth.

1999 - 2009 : Pre-war period. Recovery and reconstruction of the SDF-1
and primary research and development of Robotechnology occur during this period.

2009 - 2011 : First Robotech War (Robotech Defense Force against the Zentraedi)

2011 - 2029 : First Interbellum and Reconstruction

2014 The Battle of New Macross City

2016 - 2019 Malcontent Uprisings

2020 SDF-3 is launched on a journey to Tirol, homeworld of the Robotech Masters

2025 - 2029 Pioneer Expedition (Robotech Expeditionary Force and the Sentinels, a collection of alien races, join to liberate planets controlled by the Invid Regent)

2029 - 2030 : Second Robotech War (Army of the Southern Cross against the Robotech Masters)

2030 - 2031 : Second Interbellum

2031 The Invid Invasion

2031 - 2044 : Third Robotech War (Earth and the Expeditionary Force against the Invid Occupation)

2044 - The Invid abandon Earth after the Battle of Reflex Point and the Shadow Chronicles begin.

Currently, the three Robotech Wars and the Shadow Chronicles are the only Robotech conflicts that can be considered canon. They are much of the focus the Robotech series revolves on. Harmony Gold has released the official timeline only for the aforementioned conflicts in the official Robotech website.

The Malcontent Uprisings and the Pioneer Expedition are considered secondary continuity. Thus far, the stories for these conflicts have been chronicled only in books and comics. Because of this, the timeline for them is subject to change with any new stories published.

http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/timel ... events.php

Official Robotech time line.