Rollerblading!

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
hiphopbunny

Rollerblading!

Post by hiphopbunny »

Hey guys!!

I've been wanting to try a new sport for a while now, so I got myself rollerblades 2days ago! I'm so amped about it, but also incredibly scared. I went to the skate park with Dae and it was okay, but its going to take a while to get it down.

Anyone here ever done it? (not when you were 10 :P) Like as a sport... Any tips? Injuries?

;)
HHB
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

Does it count if I was 11?

I reckon you should invest in some gloves and pads to prevent the ouchies.

On a side note, does anyone remember that advert on KTV for Rollerballs? Man, that was classic...

"They're just not the same as ordinary inline skates! You need to take it to the next level!" lol
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

wel jus be prepared to accept the bruises and scars, that way u'll njoy it more.
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
FUSED

Post by FUSED »

I rollerbladed constantly about 4 or 5 years ago when I was in america for a year.
It was awesome! really miss it. :cry:

Just practice! Thats the only thing. The more you practice the easier it will get.
You're balance will get much better as you go on. And then it will be like second nature. I'm sure Dae knows how that is. He does ice skating if I'm not mistakin?

The one thing I did do was upgrade from the plastic wheels you get with the skates to rubber wheels. It makes a HUGE difference!! Speed and grip is greatly increased.
It's totally different from the normal wheels. I remember I had to 'relearn' my balance after that, because you moved alot faster, and the skates tended to slip out under you. :lol:

The only thing is, rollerblading isn't very popular here in SA, so I've never really seen other wheels or stuff like that.
If there is places like that, please tell me. Would love to take it up again.

Jumped a lot of stairs as well. My record was 6 stairs I think. And also found a cool wooden ramp someone threw away. Had loads of fun with it. Until I almost broke my arm. Basically tore all the ligaments around my elbow. :x
Ahh, the memories. :)

I never wore any protective gear, but it would be much safer.

But as I said, practice practice practice. And it will become much easier. :wink:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I used to skate a lot during high school, used to love it!

In fact I still have my Roces Fifth Element's. They were the sheet in the day!
Swuys

Post by Swuys »

I used to love rollerblading because I really sucked at skateboarding. Its far easier and a good alternative. You should go for it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

FUSED wrote:I'm sure Dae knows how that is. He does ice skating if I'm not mistakin?
Yep, but i actually also used to be a rollerblader Image
I started skateboarding and it went well, then i quit that and started rollerblading. I rollderbladed for about 2 months and then quit. I found it to be too easy for me. Skateboarding felt like so much more of a challenge. So, i sold off my skates and started skateboarding again, and now i've been at it for more than 8 years :D

FUSED wrote:The one thing I did do was upgrade from the plastic wheels you get with the skates to rubber wheels. It makes a HUGE difference!! Speed and grip is greatly increased.
It's totally different from the normal wheels. I remember I had to 'relearn' my balance after that, because you moved alot faster, and the skates tended to slip out under you. :lol:
Yeah, HHB actually bought her skates from one of SA's best rollerbladers, so he hooked her up with some decent wheels and bearings.

FUSED wrote:The only thing is, rollerblading isn't very popular here in SA, so I've never really seen other wheels or stuff like that.
If there is places like that, please tell me. Would love to take it up again.
Apparently most of the guys here import their stuff from Inline Warehouse, so if HHB needs anything, we'll order from there.

ryanrich wrote:In fact I still have my Roces Fifth Element's. They were the sheet in the day!
OMW!!! Those were the 1337est skates EVAR!! Sheesh i remember everyone talking about them! Damn... i would never have remembered that if you hadn't said it...

Anyway, Rollerblading is just not for me hey... But one of my OTHER friends is also a Rollerblader (and also a girl) and she's actually pretty good. She does all those grinds and what not too.

HHB, just practice my dear :) You're gonna be pro ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

I really want my own skates! We were at Monty (boogaloos skatepark) one day and this random dude lent me his skates, it was awesome. You clear tabletops like nothing! MAN WAS IT GREAT!!!! Dropping in on a skateboard I still find easier but to me rollerskating owns. But DAAAIMN It's expensive 8O

Good luck HHB I'm sure Dae will be there to catch u when u fall
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

[OT]Pffft all these anti christmas people :roll: Lol runs in the family I guess[/OT]

Anyways... Just don't do anything really stupid like some of those clips of bladers going around :D
hiphopbunny

Post by hiphopbunny »

psYChowIt wrote:Good luck HHB I'm sure Dae will be there to catch u when u fall
he actually skates next to me on his skateboard! awww, we're so cute :P

thanks for all the advice guys!! will be trying my best!
DAE_JA_VOO wrote: HHB, just practice my dear :) You're gonna be pro ;)
8O

;) i hope so!
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

east rand mall had a huge skate setup on the mall's roof - not sure if it stil ther
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

I stil have my Roces Low riders, i dont skate as much as what i used went to the skate park a couple of moths ago and tryed to do a grind and a 360 of the pipe and fell my chin open. should have known that would happen from not blading for about 3 years.
E 6400 @ 3.2
Cooled by ASUS Silent Knight
GIGABYTE DQ6 (REV 2)MOB
2 GIG OCZ Flex DDR2 PC800
XFX 8600 GT Fatality
SEAGATE 320 GIG SATA 2
Western Digital 160 GIG SATA 2
500W POWER SUPLY
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Bobendren wrote:
On a side note, does anyone remember that advert on KTV for Rollerballs? Man, that was classic...

"They're just not the same as ordinary inline skates! You need to take it to the next level!" lol
That advert was awesome, at the end of KTV everyday, like 5 minutes long. Always wanted a pair of them.
Fused wrote: I'm sure Dae knows how that is. He does ice skating if I'm not mistakin?
"ROFLSKATES"
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Always wanted to do it. I do ice-skating but still learning.
Where can one buy some entry level skates? (proper ones) not the plastie's from GAME... ;-)
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Did it a few years ago.

I could clear a Pick n Pay trolley with ease.

Used to dig downhill skating etc etc and jumping up and down stuff.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Good luck Tehquila... because dancing and rollerblading (with tricks if I understood you correctly) goes together.
Always nice to see a hip-hop dancer with scabs all over compete on stage.

s
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Sojourn wrote:Good luck Tehquila... because dancing and rollerblading (with tricks if I understood you correctly) goes together.
Always nice to see a hip-hop dancer with scabs all over compete on stage.
:lol:

Post of the month!

LOLerblading requires co-ordination, stamina and other physical attributes I do not posses.
If you organise me a couch with wheels, I may be persuaded to go rolling around on it.
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

If you organise me a couch with wheels, I may be persuaded to go rolling around on it.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

AMD Tri-Core 720BE @ 3.5Ghz
Biostar TA790GX A3+
4gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333
ATI HD4890 @ 1050Mhz Mem / 900Mhz Core

3DMark06: 16 529
TheMartyr

Post by TheMartyr »

i used to blade
i loved the half pipes!
only problem is when you go big - if you wipe you are going to get really hurt since the wheels are attached tou your feet!!

i also skate but never really hurt myself too badly (besides the broken arm)

i slammed way harder with blades.
wear some pads if you decide to go big... 8)

i used to 360/540 launch over tables, dustbins ,whatever i could find
and landing it makes you feel like you are the frikkin king! because you can just Air so high :D :D
Hello im a signature
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

reviving an old topic..so who here still rollerblades in pta and joburg?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

chowzen, if you're a girl, and you're looking for another girl to skate with, let me know. One of my friends is a rollerblader and she's got no other girls to skate with...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

not a girl but know a couple of girls that rolleblade, i rollerblade myself, so if u want i can hook you guys up with some girls that rollerblade and we can all go fall together..lol.
senile

Post by senile »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:chowzen, if you're a girl, and you're looking for another girl to skate with, let me know. One of my friends is a rollerblader and she's got no other girls to skate with...

Uh, hey I'm looking for a girl to skate with. Is your friend sexy?
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

I used to love it!

we did at first downhill racing, mostly at night because it adds some danger to it. What we would do is start at the top of my subburb, which is one huge hill thats about 8km long. and its steep. there are many routes to the bottom, the one you take is your choice, but they all join up every now and again. first one to the bottom wins, no accidents, just close calls with cars. for example one time we went down the hill, turned left into a street that was going sideways not downhill, and then took the next right to go down the hill, but there was a car going down the hill in the left hand lane as we turned so we quickly had to move over to the right, only to see headlights of a car comming up the hill, quick reflexes and we moved onto the white lines in the middle of the road to squish past the 2 cars.

i used to love speeding down and do a trick where i balance on the front wheel of my right rollerblade and the back wheel of my left rollerblade and id chill like that all the way down the hill while waving at the passengers in the cars as i pass by.

we used to also take it down to the "bowl" down at the beachfront which is a whole lot of ramps and things...but for me i was more into the speed and dodging traffic and pedestrians.

worst accident was going around 40km down a hill, small stone got caught in my wheels which sent me flying forward, i scraped my elbow to the bone.

funny thing happened. the scab formed into a scab that looks like lips, and i drew eyes above it, school mates called it scabby and spoke to it hahahha
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

senile wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:chowzen, if you're a girl, and you're looking for another girl to skate with, let me know. One of my friends is a rollerblader and she's got no other girls to skate with...

Uh, hey I'm looking for a girl to skate with. Is your friend sexy?
Why should that even matter?