Darker Than Black

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Darker Than Black

Post by larch »

Synopsis:

Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell's Gate appeared in Tokyo and altered the sky and decimated the landscape. The heavenly bodies disappeared, replaced by false stars. At the same time, people who possess various special abilities emerged. Kept secret from the knowledge of the masses, these individuals, known as Contractors, are able to murder in cold blood. Various nations around the world use Contractors as spies and agents, often resulting in violent battles for information. Each fake star has a corresponding contractor, and they vibrate when their contractor's power is being used. As such, contractors are usually identified by their star's Messier catalogue number. However, their abilities are gained at the edge of their humanity. They lack human emotions, especially aversion to killing. Contractors usually work for one of various rival Syndicates as spies and assassins, although the ultimate purpose of the Syndicates is unknown.

The main protagonist is an elite Contractor with the Messier Code BK-201. Hei plays a gentle-hearted student from China named Li Shunsheng when undercover. He becomes an apathetic and guiltless killer when on his missions. Joining an organization of unknown ambitions known only as a Syndicate, Hei is searching for the whereabouts of his sister Bai, whom he lost several years ago when the South American gate imploded. Hei's contract allows him to generate electricity, and he is hotly pursued by the Japanese government for his involvement in multiple assassinations. For unknown reasons, Hei does not have a remuneration. He acts as the warrior/spy/assassin of his team.

Review:

First thing when u start watching this show is the high level of animation that went into the making of this anime as to be expected from a studio like BONES. The Second thing u notice is the OST done by non other than the legend herself Yoko Kanno. So you got 2 out of the 3 requirements to make an awesome series all u need now is the story to bind the first 2 together but we will get to that part soon enough.

Story:

This is where Darker than Black’s weakness lies in its story. It tries something different u may ask what? It has something unique in its storytelling, it does two-episode story arcs through out the show except the final three episodes. Each focusing on different story which contains a part of the bigger story which Darker than Black works to in the final episodes.

This is an awesome concept but what ultimately kills it is the fact that these story arcs contain fillers and it over complicates the complicated story line already making it hard to follow. And to complicate it even more they repeat what has already been shown in previous arcs that don’t contribute anything to the story. But if u are able to keep your head u will discover a gem of a story. It cries out for a second season, as there is so much of the story left untold. Some of the underlying plot ideas and just the general feel of the anime reminded me of Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I really hope they are considering a 2nd series of this show.

Animation:

As I stated before first thing when u start watching this show is the high level of animation that went into the making of this anime as to be expected from a studio like BONES. The action scenes are done nicely and the animation sequences are fluid and they even used some 3d rendering for all the cars in the show. There has gone a lot of detail into the opening sequences of the show which makes for nice eye candy.

Sound/Music:

The first opening song done by Abingdon Boys School really grabs u by the nuts. But the second one done by Kakusei Heroism didn’t really do anything for me. The rest of the OST is done by non other than the legend herself Yoko Kanno. (She has written scores for famous animated works, including Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Vision of Escaflowne and Wolf's Rain, and is the most trusted composer by veteran and new-wave directors such as Yoshiyuki

Tomino, Shinichiro Watanabe and Shoji Kawamori. Kanno has also composed music for JPop artists, the most notable being Maaya Sakamoto and Kyoko Koizumi. She is also a skilled keyboardist, and is the frontress for The Seatbelts, who perform many of Kanno's compositions on the various original soundtracks for which she is responsible.)

So I cannot fault the anime on the OST side of things because it is Yoko Kanno so by default is awesome yes I know I am bias.

Characters:

The characters get introduced at a rather fast pace during the anime. We get to meet Mao, Yin, and Huang although Hei takes center stage most of the time during the show. My favorite character in the show was November 11 his contractor powers just did it for me and the way he acted reminded me a lot of the bond films and 007. Without giving much away the character are the ones moving the plot along and not the other way around like in other anime titles.

Enjoyment:

If u are able to keep your head u will discover a gem of a story. It cries out for a second season, as there is so much of the story left untold. The only let down is the 2 episode arch concept which in the end lets the anime down. So if u willing to persevere u will find a good anime behind the somewhat flawed story.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Im not really into Anime, but that looks really cool!!!
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

This series, I want :!: :!: :!:
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

this is possibly the best series I have ever seen in my life. but 25eps is just too short. :(
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
Keigo

Post by Keigo »

LordRage wrote:this is possibly the best series I have ever seen in my life. but 25eps is just too short. :(
I agree too~ 25 episode is very short...
larch

Post by larch »

LordRage wrote:this is possibly the best series I have ever seen in my life. but 25eps is just too short. :(
Actually the show of the year for me would be "Claymore"
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

i thought this was a debate thread, here I was going to come in guns a'blazing saying that nothing is darker than black because black is the absence of light. lol
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

wow, its really that good? I only ever liked Trigun but maybe I'll give this a go...
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

yeah, its that good. [IMO]
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
Kovu

Post by Kovu »

D3PART3D wrote:wow, its really that good? I only ever liked Trigun but maybe I'll give this a go...
bah... Trigun not that good,there's no threat there Vash is God in that world.

Darker than Black you say?
mmh well i'll give it a go... as to your good synopsis larch i hope to be so entertained for those 25 eps
Chaos Mage for The Pride
The Strong do what they can,The weak suffer what they must.
In times of war circumstance dictates action.

Post by Rayne »

I liked this. It's been a while since I've been required to actually pay attention to what I was watching. Crucial events are explained very late in this show. Even so though a lot of questions remains. I do not mind the way it ended, in fact I found it quite fitting, Hei's decision was clear. What I'm unsure about is how it all began. I just looked at the wiki entry and all I could piece together from it is the fact that they do not actually know either. I would have preferred a better explanation be given on the past and present.

The plot indeed centers around the characters and this, as the plot progressed, I was basically forced to appreciate. Especially so with Hei and Yin.

Oh well, even with it's flaws it's worth it's rating imo. I doubt we'll ever see a second season though.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

This series seem AMAZING!!! 8O 8O 8O

I soo wanna see it! :P
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I'm about halfway through it.

It's pretty good.
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

It's cool. The ending sucks though. Oh, and it's illegal so that makes it double bad! :lol:
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
larch

Post by larch »

zerubabel wrote:It's cool. The ending sucks though. Oh, and it's illegal so that makes it double bad! :lol:
You sound like a broken record
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

larch wrote:
zerubabel wrote:It's cool. The ending sucks though. Oh, and it's illegal so that makes it double bad! :lol:
You sound like a broken record
And you sound like a nolife :)
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Edit : Woops soz, I posted in the wrong thread :oops:
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

According to NewType there's a 4x episode OVA series is in the works. The first episode titled Beneath The Fully Bloomed Cherry Blossoms has already been released yesterday.

It is not a continuation. It's focus is Hei's mission to Heaven's Gate in South America, which will shed some light on the actuall happenings surrounding that mission which resulted in the disappearance of his sister. It should also give us more details about his past relationship with Amber.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Scrap that. It was most definately not the case. Nothing was explained, it was just another mission.
larch

Post by larch »

Well its only the first OVA there are still more to come though.