Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Judas

Re: Playing God

Post by Judas »

I really don't think there's much to be worried about - they're talking about miniscule, unstable black holes, not the big planet-swallowing variety.
TheModDoctor wrote:What's this junk about this "big bang" ? This MYTH never happened and was just made to divert people from the truth. You want some proof? Go find your Bible and start reading at Genesis 1:1 !!
:huh:
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

TheModDoctor wrote:You want some proof? Go find your Bible and start reading at Genesis 1:1
i'm only allowed a set amount of fiction every week... and i have to be honest and admit to preferring contemporary fiction over the more established masterpieces...
TheModDoctor wrote:I don't really think that a single machine would be able to blow up the whole world
probably highly unlikely.. any damage it does do will probably be more insidious... like producing a runaway production of evil pixies, or stale french cheese...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Let it go, he won't do it again (please don't, then I have to clean up! :( )
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

TheModDoctor wrote:This might be a bit off topic...
JFK wrote: The New York Times and International Herald Tribune announced the intentions of a global group of physicists to re-create the environment of the early universe so they can better understand the Big Bang. After a hundred years of theory, discussion, and lab tests, the time has come to test results at a higher level.
What's this junk about this "big bang" ? This MYTH never happened and was just made to divert people from the truth. You want some proof? Go find your Bible and start reading at Genesis 1:1 !!!

But still, the idea about a particle accelerator is interesting, but in my opinion I don't really think that a single machine would be able to blow up the whole world.
Its people like you that believe science and religion can't go together. Who's to say that God did not use the Big Bang as his method of creating the universe. The universe started at a single point, a point of infinite density then it instanlty expanded to occupy an infinite expanse. That in its self is pretty unbelievable, and things like that don't happen by themselves, they take a higher power, a being of infinite complexity and power.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Judas

Post by Judas »

D3PART3D wrote:Let it go, he won't do it again (please don't, then I have to clean up! :( )
:lol:

I see yet another science vs. religion debate looming...
KillerByte wrote:That in its self is pretty unbelievable, and things like that don't happen by themselves, they take a higher power, a being of infinite complexity and power.
According to... You? We don't know exactly how the big bang occurred, but that's no reason to resort to superstition.
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

- D3PART3D
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

religion is not superstition. I refuse to get into a religion vs science debate, since i believe in both.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Judas

Post by Judas »

KillerByte wrote:religion is not superstition.
su·per·sti·tion /ˌsupərˈstɪʃən/ Pronunciation[soo-per-stish-uhn]
–noun
1. a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
2. a system or collection of such beliefs.
3. a custom or act based on such a belief.
4. irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion.
5. any blindly accepted belief or notion.

Sounds a lot like religion to me!
- Friedrich Nietzsche

- D3PART3D
jee

Post by jee »

I'm going to be seriously offended if this thread is used as another religion v science fight. Lets just agree to disagree : the big bang is a myth/the Bible is a myth and anything more can be fought over in the proper thread.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Sorry if I turned this thread into a debate, I didn't mean to. I was just making a comment about my beliefs. Sorry again...
Judas

Post by Judas »

TheModDoctor wrote:Sorry if I turned this thread into a debate, I didn't mean to. I was just making a comment about my beliefs. Sorry again...
No worries, everything turns into a debate around here... Even seemingly innocuous subjects, like headlights...
- Friedrich Nietzsche

- D3PART3D
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

Some more information about the project that's worth reading.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
jee

Post by jee »

TheModDoctor - you will learn quickly on this forum that certain things are not debatable *grins*. If you want to be part of that particular debacle, just search the chill section for the relevant thread. Read it from the beginning, and if you want to add something that has not been regurgitated until even the evil pixies want nothing to do with it, Please! new ideas will be totally welcome ;)

(just not in the Saga of the Park Lights, please) :roll: :twisted: :D :D

PS Judas, my darlin, my Angel..,. if you call the previous rumblings debate, i seriously think you should visit me for some edumacation... ;)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Judas

Post by Judas »

jee wrote:PS Judas, my darlin, my Angel..,. if you call the previous rumblings debate, i seriously think you should visit me for some edumacation... ;)

No, not quite a debate unfortunately... It's been a while since there's been a good, original debate around these parts :(. I'm always game for some edumacation though :D.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

- D3PART3D
JFK

Post by JFK »

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Judas wrote:
jee wrote:PS Judas, my darlin, my Angel..,. if you call the previous rumblings debate, i seriously think you should visit me for some edumacation... ;)

No, not quite a debate unfortunately... It's been a while since there's been a good, original debate around these parts :(. I'm always game for some edumacation though :D.
Wait until you see what I have in store for you :twisted:

I already know your gameplan, btw...

Lol @ JFK

- Elon Musk
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

JFK wrote:OK, so what's the speed of dark?

"Dark" isn't a physical entity that actually exists; it's merely a word used to describe the absence of light.

Can't remember where I heard that from.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Yeah, he knows, it was a joke :D

- Elon Musk
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

Ron2K wrote:
JFK wrote:OK, so what's the speed of dark?

"Dark" isn't a physical entity that actually exists; it's merely a word used to describe the absence of light.

Can't remember where I heard that from.
If you had physical science in high school, you heard it there! :)
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Ron2K wrote:"Dark" isn't a physical entity that actually exists; it's merely a word used to describe the absence of light.
the word we're after is 'privative'. much like 'hole' or 'cold', it describes the absence of something, but not a physical entity or property.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Judas

Post by Judas »

D3PART3D wrote:
Judas wrote:

Wait until you see what I have in store for you :twisted:
I'll do my best to ignore the possible ambiguity of that statement! :dontgetit: ;)

That's quite a feat, since I don't know my gameplan myself yet :lol:.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

- D3PART3D
JFK

Post by JFK »

Judas wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:
Judas wrote:
jee wrote:

That's quite a feat, since I don't know my gameplan myself yet :lol:.

Eeeeiish, what is up with this game plan???
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Lol, Judas!
You'll see exactly what I mean by gameplan soon, I haven't been this excited since Power Rangers! :biggrin:
oh, I'm good... Incredibly good :twisted:

- Elon Musk
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

rustypup wrote:
Ron2K wrote:"Dark" isn't a physical entity that actually exists; it's merely a word used to describe the absence of light.
the word we're after is 'privative'. much like 'hole' or 'cold', it describes the absence of something, but not a physical entity or property.
You learn something new every day. :wink:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Right, So unofficially the World ends tom :P

I have taken a special interest in this thing because I'm doing second year physics at the mo as part of my electrictronics degree. We started Lagrangian Mechanics today. he he...

So Anyway, more Linkage

Am I the only one super excited????!!!!! The search for the Hex-Boson begins.... :lol:
Last edited by Prime on 09 Sep 2008, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.