Boks boss set to quit after final

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Boks boss set to quit after final

Post by Anthro »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7046471.stm

South Africa coach Jake White has strongly hinted that Saturday's Rugby World Cup final against England will be his last match in charge.

The 43-year-old is out of contract at the end of the year and his position has already been advertised.

White, in charge of the team since 2004, told the Guardian newspaper: "When you win the World Cup you've got to go, there's no more you can achieve.

"And if you don't, they probably want you to go anyway."

White revealed that he had discussed the situation with former England boss Sir Clive Woodward and the former Australia coach Eddie Jones, who was on the losing side at the 2003 World Cup final.

What next for White?

Wales and New Zealand are both looking for a new head coach, while White expressed an interest in coaching England.

"If my contract doesn't get renewed and England came to me with a proposal to coach them one day, I would be crazy not to accept it," he said.

"There are a huge amount of similarities between England and South Africa.

"We have both come through tough times and, apart from these last few weeks, they have really not done well since winning the last World Cup.

"But England have got massive potential, some real stars and plenty of exciting young players coming through. There is so much desire and passion in English rugby that I'd have to be tempted."

England are expected to offer current coach Brian Ashton a new contract until 2011.

White indicated that the amount of political interference involved with the Springboks had ultimately worn him down.

"After this tournament, massive political pressure is going to be exerted to pick a Springbok side based more on colour than merit," said White.

"I want to see what it's like to coach on a relatively even keel, without South Africa's political interference."

The former Springbok star and 1995 World Cup winner Joel Stransky said South Africa Rugby have got it "hopelessly wrong" over Jake White.

"They advertised the position of Springboks' coach and anyone who wishes to apply has to do so by Friday," he told Radio Five Live.

"Now Jake's concentrating on a World Cup final and SA Rugby want him to reapply for his job. It really is very, very silly.

"I'd imagine as much as SA Rugby have invented the game of politics, Jake's playing it pretty well now by saying he's prepared to go and coach elsewhere."

Meanwhile, White has no doubt as to the outcome of Saturday's final.

"I've believed for a long time now that South Africa are going to win the World Cup," he said.

"There is a sense of destiny about this team because no other side in world rugby plays with the same pressure."
Temporary Absence
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

So...if I understand him correctly he will re-apply for the job if the Boks don't make it?