Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science.

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
doo_much

Re: Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science

Post by doo_much »

CapNemo wrote:
Anyway would love to see the chemical reaction for that one
I am informed that the idea has been aroud for a while.

http://www.me.umn.edu/labs/solar/resear ... apor.shtml

Also
http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet ... yes&ref=no
And
http://pre.ethz.ch/publications/journals/full/j55.pdf
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Thanks Doo will go have a look a bit later
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

CapNemo wrote:you'll probably have to run a desalination plant
I'm not so sure... there'd be an additional waste element you'd have to resolve but the process is chemical, not mechanical, so the salt isn't as dramatic an issue as it is in trying to render drinking water*...

*pure assumption on my part...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Oh and if the poiling point of ZnO is 2360 °C I don't think 3000 F is going to cut it unless it is under vacuum :dontknow: Oh well guess I should actually go read up on it before I talk to much
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

So my question to the scientifically minded people out there...

If we bore down to the Earths mantle and break through, what would happen? Would the pressure force the magma up like a volcano or would it solidify? Or would it just do nothing?

Just something I am wondering about...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I suppose it would depend on the size of the hole. Magma is pretty viscous, so a smallish hole might simply plug itself up again without spewing out in our faces. Think about the difference between sucking water and syrup through a straw.

In short: I don't know. :?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i imagine the radiation and hypersonic super-heated steam would make life interesting long before the improbable venting of molten iron and rock even figured...

also, that's some very creepy wondering there, Dr McEvil... :? :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
ADT

Post by ADT »

Yeah :shock: , remind me to never tick of anakha :P
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

The testing will prove how good (or bad) the reactor is when concentrated light equal to 10,000 suns is fed into it.
:shock:

Wouldn't that cause all sorts of design problems?

When they say "suns" are they referring to our yellow dwarf?

How would we generate that amount of light if our own star doesn't?

Clever sciencey people please help me out here. :scratch:

What, if any, is the relationship between heat and light?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

rustypup wrote:i imagine the radiation and hypersonic super-heated steam would make life interesting long before the improbable venting of molten iron and rock even figured...

also, that's some very creepy wondering there, Dr McEvil... :? :lol:
ADT wrote:Yeah :shock: , remind me to never tick of anakha :P

http://xkcd.com/1040/

That made me think of the question. Follow the link for the bigger picture.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

StarPhoenix wrote:What, if any, is the relationship between heat and light?
heat and light are both a form of energy and has energy can not be destroyed but converted from one form to the other... heat energy can be converted to light energy and vice versa...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

StarPhoenix wrote:What, if any, is the relationship between heat and light?
Light = energy, energy excites molecules, molecules vibrate = friction = energy released as heat
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

The temperature of a substance is the amount of kinetic vibration energy it has. Heat can be radiated as infra red radiation, a form of light or electromagnetic radiation. Our sun gives off a range of light frequencies, including infra red, visible light and ultraviolet.

As for 10000 suns; I can only assume they mean concentrated light. Like when you burn ants with a magnifying glass, you concentrate the light hitting the surface of the magnifying glass into a point, so if you, say, take a big magnifying glass of 10000 square mm and produce a point of 1 square mm, you have the power of 10000 suns in that square mm. The surface of the sun is about 6000K and the centre about 15 million K, so I doubt they are talking about 10000x any of those two. ;)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
jee

Post by jee »

Anakhah. I always thought that if you bore down into the earth you would eventually reached China :) But then, thats why i don't have "scientist" under my name :D
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 ... mpaign=rss
Physicist uses maths to avoid traffic penalty
By Katie Scott, Wired UK | Published 19 minutes ago

A physicist faced with a fine for running a stop sign has proved his innocence by publishing a mathematical paper, and has even won a prize for his efforts.

Dmitri Krioukov is a physicist based at the University of California in San Diego. When faced with a court hearing over allegedly driving through a stop sign, he put together a paper called The Proof of Innocence, which he has since published. The abstract for the paper reads: "A way to fight your traffic tickets." The paper was awarded a special prize of $400 that the author did not have to pay to the state of California.

Krioukov's argument is based upon the premise that three coincidences happened at the same time to make the police officer believe that he had seen the physicist run a red light, when, in fact, he hadn't. He writes: "[In this paper], we show that if a car stops at a stop sign, an observer, e.g., a police officer, located at a certain distance perpendicular to the car trajectory, must have an illusion that the car does not stop, if the following three conditions are satisfied: (1) The observer measures not the linear but angular speed of the car; (2) The car decelerates and subsequently accelerates relatively fast; and (3) There is a short-time obstruction of the observer's view of the car by an external object, e.g., another car, at the moment when both cars are near the stop sign."

As Physics Central explains, because the police officer was around 30m from the intersection where the stop sign was situated, "a car approaching the intersection with constant linear velocity will rapidly increase in angular velocity from the police officer's perspective."

The physicist even created graphs showing what would have happened to his angular velocity if he had either been driving at a constant linear velocity or had made a quick stop and then accelerated back to speed, which is what he claims happens (actually, he sneezed, causing him to brake harder than usual). It was during this sneeze stop that another vehicle obscured the police officer's view of Krioukov's car, argues the paper.

The conclusion of the paper? It isn't the police officer's fault but he/she was wrong as their "perception of reality did not properly reflect reality." Bet that's a statement the other officers loved to remind them of.
:lol: This guy is awesome! :lol:
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Uhm heat is a form of light btw falls under the force of electromagnetism. Heat is simply light in the infrared spectrum we just can't see that form of light
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

err no...
heat is a form of energy...

the heat that you are talking about from the infrared light is simply the infrared light (light energy) that is converted to heat energy...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

If u dive deep into physics you will find that heat is actually a photon im too lazy to look for references now maybe later I will

if you look at the heat you feel from the sun that is all infrared photons (well mostly infrared), its also the basic principle of which an infrared camera works
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

RiaX wrote:If u dive deep into physics you will find that heat is actually a photon im too lazy to look for references now maybe later I will

if you look at the heat you feel from the sun that is all infrared photons (well mostly infrared), its also the basic principle of which an infrared camera works
KK is talking about the kinetic vibrational energy of substances as heat. Infra red radiation is one of the ways heat energy is transfered (radiation), the others being convection and conduction.

The sun's energy reaches us my electromagnetic radiation, which then adds to the kinetic energy of the molecules in your skin and you feel heat. Something like hot coffee is hot to the touch because of that kinetic energy.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

RiaX wrote:Uhm heat is a form of light btw falls under the force of electromagnetism. Heat is simply light in the infrared spectrum we just can't see that form of light
RiaX wrote:If u dive deep into physics you will find that heat is actually a photon im too lazy to look for references now maybe later I will
Uh. No.

Photons are minute particles containing (some theorize that they may consist entirely of) energy, much like every other particle out there. When (particles) photons collide with other particles, energy is given off, and it is this energy that is heat

Infrared light feels warm to us as its energy is better absorbed by water than that of the visible light spectrum. Ultraviolet light also makes us warm, as even more of it's energy is absorbed by water. (In case you forgot, the human body has a lot of water in it.)
An infrared camera works exactly like a normal camera - it just has a film/sensor that is sensitive to the infrared spectrum. It's the same with x-rays, you just need to use something that is sensitive to the wavelength you want.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

So if heat is not a photon please explain how it crosses space. If the sun generates heat how does that heat reach me here on earth ? What is the carrier particle for heat ?
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science.

Post by Monty »

Heat does not cross space. Energy/matter crosses space.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

But heat is a form of energy yes?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Heat is a measure of the transfer of energy. Infra red radiation is one mechanism of heat transfer. Infra red radiation itself is not heat, just like a hammer itself is not momentum.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Imma just leave this here:
Maybe black holes don’t really exist....
...Astrophysicists came to accept the idea of black hole because the gravitational collapse of sufficiently large masses cannot be stopped by ordinary means. But Pawel Mazur and I realized some time ago that quantum gravitational effects modify the collapse process....
Gummy Bear juice

Fight!
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers