Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science.

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I don't mind.

No, it would just age "normally". You actually need to move very fast to slow down time, ironically. If you could reach the speed of light, time would stop. If you went faster, you would travel backwards in time, essentially arriving at the point you were travelling to before you actually left.

Think of it this way: what if you travelled so fast you got to your destination at the exact same time you left? What if you went even faster than that? You would get there before you left, right?

But you can't travel faster than light unless you warp space, and even then you aren't actually travelling faster than light inside the piece of space that you warped.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Kovu

Post by Kovu »

ahh! you put it all so clear rather than Mr Dilraj_
thanx man,thanx

why you can't travel faster than light would it be the difference between electrons photons?
Chaos Mage for The Pride
The Strong do what they can,The weak suffer what they must.
In times of war circumstance dictates action.

Post by Hex_Rated »

Yes. It's because photons don't have mass but electrons do. There is a calculation that measures how much energy it takes for an object of a certain mass to get to a certain speed. As the object approaches the speed of light, the energy required to get it there approaches infinity. Going over the speed of light results in the square root of a negative number.

Because a photon has no mass, the same calculation doesn't apply.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I have heard of warping space (Star Trek) - it is the same as folding space?

So back to my original statement / question. So it is only our perception that makes us believe that time is linear. Does that mean that everything we experience happens in one instant? We are born, love, live and die - all in the same instant?
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I have heard of warping space (Star Trek) - it is the same as folding space?
You can theoretically warp space by using a gravitational field to pull space closer to you or expand it away from you (Star Trek warp drive), making the distance you need to travel less. Folding space normally refers to folding it through another dimension, often accomplished through the use of a wormhole in fiction (Stargate, Deep Space Nine, Event Horizon). Sci-Fi that has it's roots in relatively firm theoretical calculations.
So it is only our perception that makes us believe that time is linear.
If you got on a spaceship and travelled very fast, close to the speed of light for a year or two, when you got back to Earth you would only have aged a year but 1,000 years could have passed here, depending on how close you got to the speed of light. Your perception would have been changed. So in a sense, yes. But then again, time flies when your having fun, right? Although the reason for this is more chemical than physical.
Does that mean that everything we experience happens in one instant? We are born, love, live and die - all in the same instant?
That's more philosophy than physics. :)
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Thanks for that - but then how do we experience it linearly if it is not?
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Ooh this is getting interesting.

well lets see where I can fit my 2c.

AS Hex said, Warp is the concept of creating a stable "bubble" that provides one with the means of entering a seperate region of space and thereby circumventing the laws of this space time we occupy.

many theories talk about crossing the void of space, wormholes, quantum gateways, folding space. the problem is that not many people can actually picture space as a loop.

Space and time are a loop, and worm holes are just a side road from one poin to another with no speed limit.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

That I get. I understand that we can (with the means and technology) hop around through space and time. What I cannot get - and it could be the blonde thing kicking in here - is why do we perceive time as linear when it isn't. Why, with all the mental power we have, are we not able to see time for what it is? Why are we confined to a linear existence? Why do our ages progress chronologically? Why must we be 5 before we can get to 6?

This is what bothers me. How can we be so limited?
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

tribble think about it this way. when you stand in your back yard, does the world look flat or do you see it curve? its the same with time, we can't see it curve but it does. simple. :)
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I know it does. I don't have a problem with that. What I want to know is - why, when I know time is curved, do I still exist linearly?
Judas

Post by Judas »

Does a positive attitude hold cancer at bay?

Orac (an ontologist) over at Respectful Insolence has an made an interesting post about the very, very common belief that having a positive outlook can slow, or even reverse, the spread of cancer in the body.

The clinical trials described debunk this myth quite thoroughly. 1,093 sufferers of head or neck cancer were provided with the FACT-G, a standardized quality of life questionnaire used to discover if the patients felt sad, were losing hope, feeling nervous, worrying about dying, worrying that their condition would worsen, and whether they were proud of how they were dealing with their condition. Interestingly, the study showed no difference in survivability between those who took an optimistic view and those who didn't.

The conclusion seems to be that while a positive attitude is desirable for the sake of improving the quality of the patient's (possibly limited) life, it won't prolong the patient's life.
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Wow, what a shocking result to those trials. I never saw that coming...
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Wow - now that is interesting. Perhaps it is not only your attitude to life that counts - perhaps it is whether you hold onto old angers etc. Read Brandon Bays book - and found that very interesting. Not saying I am sold - but it does seem as though it could be viable.
JFK

Post by JFK »

Very interesting... but not sold on the idea basically because lots of other variables need to be taken into account.

I do not think just a questionnaire should suffice. Should including diet and stresses (unknown) the candidates endure in their daily living or life's sorrows, age and past medical history.

I believe positive attitude can make (as fare as your health is concerned) a difference and not just as they put it “improving the quality of the patient's (possibly limited) life”.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

New medical laser turns viruses to rubble.

Was only a matter of time before something like this came along. I for one cant wait to see it get implemented. Although one worrying aspect is the army using it as a weapon to destroy people at a molecular level in a clean way. :( Although I think they have the tech for that already...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

very interesting article, thanx Anakha.

Funny enough I remember reading an article which said that the US Airforce was testing out a "Phaser" like laser, which would be mounted on the gunships (if you watched Transformers, its the aircraft that shot the 102mm Sabre[sic] Rounds)
Now imagine this aircraft, which basically goes into a death spiral around its target and its pretty effective with its current arsenal, now attach a massive weaponized laser to it - tank brigades or any armoured divisions would be toast.

But I seriously hope that this medical laser gets implemented.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

KillerByte wrote:Now imagine this aircraft, which basically goes into a death spiral around its target and its pretty effective with its current arsenal, now attach a massive weaponized laser to it - tank brigades or any armoured divisions would be toast.
Not really.

A laser is pretty effective as a cutting tool, but it leaves a lot to be desired as a weapon - especially against a heavily armoured unit like a T-90 or Abrahams tank.
It would take a pretty powerful laser to penetrate 20cm tank armour. And even then, the laser would have to hit something combustible, like fuel or ammo in order to destroy the tank.

At present, the US is looking at lasers on purely a defensive capacity. They have plans to use them to shoot down enemy missiles. They are now even able to target and destroy enemy artillery with lasers. Great success!

But we are far from the age of directed energy weapons.

I still think our best new weapon will be the rail-gun. A device that fires projectiles at speeds of Mach 10 and greater.
The kinetic energy of even a small round impacting on a tank will cause the tank to disintegrate. Unlike a laser.

The biggest one built so far fires 90mm projectiles. But it has to be serviced after every shot, and is about the size of a small ship. But we'll get there.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Railgun:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5766

3.2kg shell at Mach 7 over 450km.

Lasers can't be used against tanks but they work well against biological targets. Especially as sniper rifles.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Hex_Rated wrote:Lasers can't be used against tanks but they work well against biological targets. Especially as sniper rifles.
A sniper firing a beam of light :?: :lol:

Unless your laser uses light outside our visible spectrum (IR perhaps), thats a bad idea.

Also, getting hit with a laser would suck, but I think unless you hit somewhere vital you wont score a kill. A laser cauterises as it cuts, and there is also no impact damage as a laser has very little kinetic energy, so no broken bones and ruptured organs from impact, and no mushroomed or fragmented bullet to rip a hole the size of your fist out the other end of you.

So I think you have less survivability against the old fashioned lead slug.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

If you fire a laser, it doesn't drop and travels at the speed of light so it would make a very good sniper rifle. All you need to do is cook a piece of the targets brain to take them out. Head shots should be easy, and you don't need to use visible light.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Hex_Rated wrote:If you fire a laser, it doesn't drop and travels at the speed of light so it would make a very good sniper rifle. All you need to do is cook a piece of the targets brain to take them out. Head shots should be easy, and you don't need to use visible light.
Yes, but you need a beam powerful enough to penetrate a skull after just a fraction of a second, from a distance.

Also, while not really affected by gravity, atmospheric conditions can be much more detremental to a lasers accuracy and power than a projectile.
A laser passing through air can be greatly affected by rain, snow, smoke, dust, fog etc.
Stuff a high velocity sniper bullet would simply brush aside.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

It would be more effected by atmospheric conditions, true, but AFAIK you don't need to penetrate the skull to do damage to the soft tissue. Slugs may be more practical for the moment, but they reckon 2 years before troops get some type of portable weapon:
TRW Systems in Redondo Beach, Calif., for instance, is working on a portable chemical laser (which produces a beam from the energy released in the reaction of two or more chemicals) that could be carried into battle by a unit of only three men. Aimed like a rifle, it would silently burn a fatal, quarter-inch-wide hole in the body of an enemy soldier up to five miles away. "Once you've got him in your sights," says a TRW engineer, "you've got him. There are no misses."
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/08/t ... aser-.html
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Very interesting article.

Sniping from 5km would put the fear of God in an enemy.

We shall see what the next 2 years brings...
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I think we should stick to projectile weaponry, that way when the Borg come, they won;t be able to do that whole "adapting to frequency" crap. Let's see you try to adapt to my .44 Magnum BORG SCUM!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Be careful you dont shoot off a testicle with that .44 greywolf... I mean, that is a gun in your pants, right :?: