Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science.

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science

Post by Anakha56 »

To all men out these... We are safe and are not going extinct! Woman rejoice! :D

http://gizmodo.com/5887610/dont-worry-m ... -dying-out
Don’t Worry, Men: The Y Chromosome Isn’t Dying Out

For a long time, biologists have predicted that the Y chromosome—the DNA that makes men men—was gradually dying out, and that it would eventually lead to the extiniction of the male of the species. Fortunately, a team of researchers has proven that isn't the case.

It used to be, a long time ago, that the X and Y chromosomes were the same size and shape. Then, about 166 million years ago, a huge chunk of the Y chromosome was turned upside down and reinserted. Nobody quite knows why. Since, the Y chromosome has lost 781 of the 800 genes it originally shared with the X chromosome, all thanks to mutation. It's this which led to speculation that it would eventually disappear.

But according to research from the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research in Cambridge, Massachusetts, that's not the case. A team of researchers has compared the human Y chromosome to that of the rhesus macaque - a primate that diverged from humans around 25 million years ago. The monkey's Y chromosome contains just 20 genes, and 19 of them are identical to those of the human Y.

So, in 25 million years, only one gene has been lost from the human Y chromosome. The research appears in this week's issue of Nature. Speaking to New Scientist, Jennifer Hughes, one of the researchers, said:
"We finally have empirical data that the Y chromosome has held steady over the last 25 million years. Most of the Y chromosome's gene loss happened almost immediately after it stopped recombining with the X chromosome."
In theory, the remaining 19 genes serve vital biological functions, so there's little chance of them disappearing. That means that we can rest happy in the knowledge that the rest of Y chromosome is going nowhere fast. Good news, chaps. [Nature and New Scientist via Gawker; Image: The National Institute of Standards and Technology]
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

But we have been told that the earth will be destroyed - so 25 million years is not really an option unless you guys move somewhere else.

But yes - that is good news. I could not picture a world without men - I don't even want to try. No matter how frustrating you guys may be - we need you around. You have something we don't - and that makes you necessary.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Tribble wrote:You have something we don't
the mystical ability to change light bulbs/tyres? mowing the lawn? opening bottles? :lol:

west side story revisited - for great science! (warning: link includes graphic footage of violence!)
io9 wrote:The firing mechanism for this dagger is tiny, even by bacterial standards — it's the equivalent of just eighty atoms long. The bacteria can assemble the weapon anywhere on their bodies, fire a dagger through their cell membrane, and then take apart the firing tube so that it can be deployed again elsewhere on the cell. The dagger can be used to pierce other nearby cells in order to inject proteins as part of an attack.

tl;dr: link to story about how bacteria get all stabby mcstabster with each other.... in typical science fashion absolutely no discussion about the why or the impact this violence is having on the young... :roll:

Nature source *(paywalled)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

rustypup wrote:
Tribble wrote:You have something we don't
the mystical ability to change light bulbs/tyres? mowing the lawn? opening bottles? :lol:
Don't be silly - some men can't do those things!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

xiph.org wrote:Much of the press and user commentary was particularly enthusiastic about the prospect of uncompressed 24 bit 192kHz downloads. 24/192 featured prominently in my own conversations with Mr. Young's group several months ago.

Unfortunately, there is no point to distributing music in 24-bit/192kHz format. Its playback fidelity is slightly inferior to 16/44.1 or 16/48, and it takes up 6 times the space.

There are a few real problems with the audio quality and 'experience' of digitally distributed music today. 24/192 solves none of them. While everyone fixates on 24/192 as a magic bullet, we're not going to see any actual improvement.
<..>
192kHz digital music files offer no benefits. They're not quite neutral either; practical fidelity is slightly worse. The ultrasonics are a liability during playback.
fascinating attempt by one lone ranger to inject some semblance of sanity into the world...

he's going to fail, though, because audiophiles and their superior hearing abilities are completely deaf when it comes to facts and apple-tards are hardly going to acknowledge that their collective intellect is two standard deviations below slag...

tl;dr: audiophiles are hopelessly addicted to the sound of their own magnificence... also, completely wrong on all counts..
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Audiophiles prove the saying about fools and their money
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

A friend of mine got burgled and instead of buying another PC with the insurance money, bought R27k worth of audio equipment. He maintains that it was worth it. I want to cry when I think about what he could have gotten for that money: A good home theatre system, gotten like a 50" instead of a 40" HD TV and a more than capable gaming PC. He's just happy with his two speakers, CD player (that can't play MP3) and amp. :|
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KALSTER wrote:can't play MP3
:lol: tjop...

actually... not a tjop... tjops are delicious... more like... polony... or peroni...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Where is naughty?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I could still understand it if you were a classical music aficionado or for something where there are a lot of instruments, but not if you listen to "Die Beste Sokkie Treffers 12" or Elton John.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

/ummm...

http://gizmodo.com/5897021/scientists-s ... od-for-you
Scientists Suggest That Eating Placenta Is Good For You

The entire animal kingdom does it, but most humans become squeamish and pull their faces at the very notion. But now, scientists are suggesting that mothers—and perhaps even fathers—would benefit from eating parts of the placenta following child birth. Yum.
A team of researchers from the University at Buffalo has been studying afterbirth ingestion in other species to work out why they do it—and why it might be beneficial for humans. They point out that eating the placenta provokes an increase in mother-child interaction, promotes hormone release that stimulates caring instincts, attenuates pain—in both sexes— and even increases the possibilities for future fertilization.

Mark Kristal, one of researchers, intends to conduct a full-blown trial to investigate the positive effects of eating afterbirth. Don't worry, though—the results might mean we can get around the need to eat the stuff. "The outcome of such a quest need not be an exhortation for women to eat afterbirth, but for scientists to isolate and identify the molecule or molecules that produce the beneficial effect and use it to design pharmacological tools," Kristal explained to EurekAlert!.

Phew. Now, who's signing up to the trial? [EureakAlert!]
Think I am going to be sick a little... Next Science will tell me that its healthy for me to eat up my sick... :puke:

/and its on top... wonderful...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Chuck it in a pan with some onions...
Hello Clarice!
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Yes.....I'd probably cook it first too, considering that the only animal matter I eat raw is sashimi /thanks, Sykomantis/

I'd add it to a bean stew.

What? Have you never sucked your finger upon cutting or pricking it? That is also consuming part of a human bean, isn't it?
Last edited by StarPhoenix on 29 Mar 2012, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Cooking it may or may not destroy whatever it is that is of benefit?

Also, sushi is not animal matter, that's sashimi.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Shut up, Weeaboo's :P
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I had to look up wth that meant :lol:
Am not, actually. :P But it's like saying potato is one of my favourite meat dishes. Same difference...
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

And interestingly enough, there are a multitude of people that reckon chicken and lamb are their favorite vegetables...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Yes, but chicken really is a delicious vegetable :D
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

One of our programmers maintains that vegetables are bad for him. The exception is the potato, as it can be used to make chips.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Luckily for him then that tomatoes, onions, garlic and mushrooms are fruit.

Seeing as no pizza would be complete without these! :mrgreen:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-pick/ ... l-2012044/
Self-sustaining solar reactor creates clean hydrogen fuel

It may sound too good to be true, but a mechanical engineer working out of the University of Delaware has come up with a way to produce hydrogen without any undesirable emissions such as carbon dioxide.

The totally clean fuel production is made possible due to a new solar reactor created by Erik Koepf that only relies on concentrated sunlight, zinc oxide, and water to produce hydrogen.

The reactor is capable of using sunlight to increase the heat inside its cylindrical structure above 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit. Zinc oxide powder is then gravity fed through 15 hoppers into the ceramic interior where it converts to a zinc vapor. At that point the vapor is reacted with water separately, which in turn produces hydrogen.

As well as a lack of emissions, the other good news is that the zinc oxide can apparently be reused, meaning the solar reactor is theoretically self sustaining as it only relies on materials and energy that are renewable.

The solar reactor isn’t exactly large, measuring 2 x 3 feet, but it is certainly heavy weighing 1,750 pounds. The entire system is a custom built prototype that will be undergoing a 6 week test from tomorrow at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology located in Zurich.

The testing will prove how good (or bad) the reactor is when concentrated light equal to 10,000 suns is fed into it. The important things to prove include how reliable the reactor is, and whether the amount of hydrogen produced is significant enough to warrant taking the project beyond the prototype stage.

If the reactor proves to be a success it can apparently be scaled up relatively easily to produce hydrogen at an industrial level. Koepf’s advisor, Ajay Prasad, believes we could see large versions of the reactor located in desert environments producing clean fuel in the future. Of course, that all depends on how well the prototype performs in the coming weeks.
I for one hope this pans out.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Big oil company to buy the patents to this technology and lock them in a safe forever in 3...2...1...
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Ok have a reactor that uses water in a desert :?

Anyway would love to see the chemical reaction for that one
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

CapNemo wrote:a reactor that uses water in a desert
permit me to introduce to you the Namib.. :lol:

coastal deserts are an actual thing

doesn't require desert... just needs plenty of sun and a clear sky... so setting up bases on the polar ice-caps could see the heating and power bill take a huge dip... (except for those stupidly long nights... )

australia's interior has plenty of both while the silly place has buried most of its water... so that may require some effort...
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Ok true enough but then you'll probably have to run a desalination plant that might be interesting. Could posibly use the temperature to provide the pressure for those. hoever that makes your plant rather integrated and then it might be interesting to control
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"