the Barclays English Premier League thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ADV4NCED

Re: the Barclays English Premier League thread

Post by ADV4NCED »

So who's watching the new season?

Looks great so far with Chelsea up 3-0 against Portsmouth at half time :D

Scores are Joe cole, anelka and Lampard.

I'm really LOVING the way Chelsea are playing atm, like the commentator said - "It's like watching Brazil!" :mrgreen:

Ok Make that Chelsea 4 - 0 Portsmouth - FT.

Deco scoring a scorcher! :D
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

How many of you are playing Fantasy Premier League :?:
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I am in the Fantasy League :)
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Where the United supporters at ??

I thought they'd be crying after drawing 1-1 with Newcastle even if there team is injury plagued - my dad certainly is :lol: :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

lancelot wrote:I am in the Fantasy League :)
For real?

Whats your team name? I'll check you out.
brabham

Post by brabham »

I am in the fantasy league too. My team name is Alsorans XI. we should start a league for PCF!!! I'll create it if there is enough interest. :D
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

I'm game.

My team is called Bruinou's United :D

Who else is up for it?
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

jamin_za wrote:
lancelot wrote:I am in the Fantasy League :)
For real?

Whats your team name? I'll check you out.
RedBulls United, with brabham.
naughty

Post by naughty »

ADV4NCED wrote:Where the United supporters at ??

I thought they'd be crying after drawing 1-1 with Newcastle even if there team is injury plagued - my dad certainly is :lol: :lol:
you are typical of all the other doom and gloom mongers - last year we started with two draws and a loss and then we still won the league - chelsea are starting how arsenal started last season like a house on fire and see how arsenal ran out of steam

with the number of injuries we had for the first game as well suspensions and people out at the olympics the draw was a decent enough result with basically a reserve squad playing for the most part of it

when NANI comes back from suspension and then Hargreaves and Ronaldo back from injury as well as Tevez away due to a breeavement in his family ... but family members wont die every week - and then anderson away at the olympics - what happens when we are closer to full strength - its still early days yet - you cannot judge a league on the first game - when theres two games left to play we can discuss who will win or lose the league - or how well Manchester United are going to be doing

BTW chelsea's win this Saturday was nowhere near convincing - only a strike from Deco saved them from embarrassing blushes after they were matched pretty evenly by a side thats not even a mid table side - and even though they won they didnt look anything like champions - so lets see what happens as the season progresses
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Finally - I knew one of the United supporters would have something to say bout my comments :P

Yes, yes Naughty I know its a long season ahead and that was only the first game. Consistency is going to be the key-factor in winning the league this year. Really should be a great season by all accounts!

But Naughty - if Man United had half the style that Chelsea has, maybe they'd be a contender for the league :lol: :lol:

j/k!! - before theres a United uproar
naughty

Post by naughty »

But Naughty - if Man United had half the style that Chelsea has, maybe they'd be a contender for the league
did chelsea have that style last year - or in the last game they played - you have just proved that you have absolutely zero knowledge about the game of football so from now on i will discount your comments cos you are talking from a position of total ignorance as for being contenders for the league - united is still the side to beat cos they have wont the last two seasons and that is only going to be proven after the next 37 games for this season

cocky guys like you give me a lot of confidence that you will be talking from the other side of your mouth at the end of the season :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - as for half the style - yes whats the use right now - when you have guys like John Terry who have style but slip and cry like litle girlies when they miss a penalty - Chelsea are just chokers - and Abramovich is trying to buy the league - it didnt work before - it wont work now - im not worried about those bottlers called chelsea in any way - they wont win the league again
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

naughty wrote:
But Naughty - if Man United had half the style that Chelsea has, maybe they'd be a contender for the league
did chelsea have that style last year - or in the last game they played - you have just proved that you have absolutely zero knowledge about the game of football so from now on i will discount your comments cos you are talking from a position of total ignorance as for being contenders for the league

:lol: :lol:
united is still the side to beat cos they have wont the last two seasons and that is only going to be proven after the next 37 games for this season
Not to say you're wrong but Harry Redknapp stated today that United and Chelsea are the teams to beat this season. I believe he is correct in saying this.

And ya I suppose United have some style :mrgreen:
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Wooohooo! We are on top! Go Liverpool!

P.S.-I'm not worried about Man U., just Hull. We've beaten Man U. already.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Yes congrats to Liverpool. Beating Chelsea at 'the bridge' is not done easily!
Finally they've been beaten at home - over 4 years undefeated on their own ground, amazing record.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Frozenfireside wrote:Wooohooo! We are on top! Go Liverpool!

P.S.-I'm not worried about Man U., just Hull. We've beaten Man U. already.
you still have to play us again - Hull are gonna soon drop off - their next two games are united and chelsea - hull might finish around 10th for the season but they have definitely had a good start - they wont be able to sustain it

and to be honest im not too worried about liverpool - they have been very lucky on many counts recently - their luck will run out soon - remember arsenal last season - leading all the way until they got 9 draws in a row - its difficult to keep getting lucky or playing football at that level consistently (if you were actually playing well like arsenal were)

its still way too early in the season to really say who will be part of the title race - it will only be determined after christmas IMHO - so dont bother too much about positions till then
Yes congrats to Liverpool. Beating Chelsea at 'the bridge' is not done easily!
Finally they've been beaten at home - over 4 years undefeated on their own ground, amazing record.
100% - so yeah i will give the scousers some credit where its due - they are on top and that means they have wont more games than any other team - so fair play to them - lets see though how they keep it up
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I say we have a top notch team and could take it hey.
Even if we have a bit of luck, it takes a little to get to the final. But we deserved to win that match.

Did you see that free kick hit that upright? Holy wow. Was sure it was a 2nd.
naughty

Post by naughty »

theres no final :? - its a round robin in the league ie everyone plays everyone twice - and hey its not too wise to peak now - hull is screaming about their run - but hey remember reading - they came up and finished 10th that season - next season they were relegated - hull likewise will be playing chelsea tomorrow and then united on saturday - thats gonna lose them 6 points surely - then comes their steady decline from the top spots - only around march will you be able to say who is still in the title race - IMHO it will be the usual top 4 come march heading to the race toward may - its still early days yet and some teams havent even hit into their stride - united may not win this season but it dont expect liverpool to either

as for hull - they dont have a "hope in hull" - they may get their tails wagging now but soon they will just fall by the wayside - ever seen a marathon where the guys who took the early lead will win - most of the guys leading in the beginning did not pace themselves out properly and hence halfway they just fizzle out and normally finish 100th or so - same thing happened to arsenal last season - they were actually leading till about april and then hit a patch where they drew 9 games in a row and landed up getting overtaken not only by united but also by chelsea and liverpool - its gonna be hard for liverpool to maintain an unbeaten run - soon they will lose some against teams they become complacent against or they will draw - its the law of averages which will make it very open

so interesting times ahead - and you cant write of any of the big 4 cos each one has topnotch managers as well as topnotch players - its nowhere near a one horse race - and its not about leading the pack in the beginning - its about biding your time on when to gallop past and maintain a sustained effort - cos the league is not a 100 metre sprint - its a long haul marathon

as ive said time will tell
I say we have a top notch team and could take it hey.
so you'll added Robbie Keane and riera since last year - so is it all that much different to the side who came out third against manchester united who only just added berbatov - and chelsea hasnt made wholesale changes either - you are looking only at your team and saying it is a topnotch team - try and prove it by having the trophy at the end of the season - united already had it twice in the last two seasons and chelsea in the two seasons before that - so they can also say they have topnotch teams too :wink: :wink: and within the last 10 years arsenal have also won twice - so dont write them off just yet - its between those 4 - whoever wins it would have been experts at peaking at the right time - so that puts united and chelsea into a huge driving seat still even though liverpool are leading now after 8 or 9 games - theres 38 games played in a season - still plenty of time before you really know how its going to shape up

one thing though - there are times when united have slipped up when they shouldnt have - so maybe it means they might not win this season - but dont write any of the 4 off as for liverpool beating chelsea and united - they still have to play them again so plenty of opportunity to have favors repaid :wink: - im not writing liverpool off but i am saying that they have peaked a bit too early - its nice to be leading now - but not so nice when you are overtaken and somebody else is leading toward the end of the season, come next may

if liverpool is 10 or 15 points ahead by march next year then i would say they have a great chance to win - but i cant see that happening
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Thing is we have beaten Man U.

I know what you mean though but it seems we've changed out mentality of yore and now actually can play and win against the big teams. Before we would have just lost.

yes it's not a sprint but our set pieces and plays are really good. before one or 2 of our players were scoring goals-now it's 4-5 which is what you need to win games and maintain a steady pace, with injuries.

Man U. did have an appalling start to the last season and came screaming back to take it.
That does worry me.
naughty

Post by naughty »

well frozen - you should be happy with the win - but it wasnt very convincing cos IMHO the only reason why liverpool won was because tony adams is such a negative idiot - if harry redknapp was still at pompey i think that liverpool would have suffered a first defeat of the season - but the guy puts on jermaine defoe with only 5 minutes left to play - what a plank - pompey are going to have their work cut out if adams remains as negative - but nevertheless fair play to liverpool for winning the game - but it was a truly boring uninspired game and it didnt look like champions playing - still i have to say congratulations on the win and staying top - the pressure will begin to mount now

the spurs vs arsenal game on the other hand was a thrill a minute and it finished off a superb 4-4 - i absolutely hate Daniel Levy cos he is the reason why spurs are in their current plight and it was him and not juande (one-day) ramos that needed to leave - but anyways spurs dont deserve to be in the relegation zone - they should have been battling it out with villa for the best of the rest position after the big 4 - and in this game they showed a lot of character (maybe it was a case of "a new broom sweeps clean" ) and despite the fact that levy is a tosser i was happy to see spurs showing some backbone

united totally dominated in the first half of their match and disappeared in the second - it was a sloppy careless display of complacency and they need to start pitching up at matches prepared to play otherwise risk losing titles for the next couple of seasons - i was happy to see some bits of brilliant play from berbatov - now you can see what 30 million sterling gets you - and he provided a few moments of inspired brilliance in an otherwise forgettable game

as for hull - the dream start begins becoming a nightmare now - the honeymoon is over - chelsea has given them a welcome to the premier league :lol: :lol: :lol: - they need to expect more of the same on this weekend when they face united so dont be too surprised if they drop of the pace within three or four weeks from now (remember its now gonna be more-or-less two games per week till christmas is over - this favours the teams with big squads who can be rotated ..... in other words the big 4)

great midweek of football - i thoroughly enjoyed watching it - hope the weekend is as good - whichever side you support :wink:
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Ja they said last nights liverpool game wasn't very good.
I missed the damn thing-I didn't realise we were playing. Watched Fear and Loathing instead.

1 Liverpool 26
2 Chelsea 23
3 Arsenal 20
4 Aston Villa 20
5 Hull 20
6 Man Utd 18
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I dislike commenting on the league as early as this but I do feel it will be about the big guns again, MU, Chelski, Liverpuke and Arsenal. Arsenal are playing some good football but a draw is just not good enough. :(
I am always amused that when a team beats MU then no matter what follows, all is well. That is one huge compliment to MU but it is not about MU is it?
naughty

Post by naughty »

1 Liverpool 26
2 Chelsea 23
3 Arsenal 20
4 Aston Villa 20
5 Hull 20
6 Man Utd 18
yes correct - but united have a game in hand - they have to play fulham and i dont expect them to lose or draw that game - so you may as well count them as at 21 points which will effectively put them third - if it was a big 4 side that we still had to play i wouldnt count the three points as in the bag but fulham are very close to the drop-zone so right now they dont have the confidence to overcome united at all

so if you really look at it - its the big 4 up top already with hull being the only surprise package - till this weekend
Ja they said last nights liverpool game wasn't very good
well IMHO it was rubbish - but so was the united game in the second half - very very boring football so to be fair many teams need to shift a gear up - thank god for that spurs/gunners game - it made the premier league seem exciting to watch
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

naughty, Chill dude. I was just posting for interests sake.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Frozenfireside wrote:naughty, Chill dude. I was just posting for interests sake.
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

i was just discussing - it wasnt a aggressive post from me at all - i am so chilled im peeing ice bricks :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

or would you prefer we dont have a discussion - then i'll stop posting
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

i am so chilled im peeing ice bricks
LoL-ok, just you went into instant defensive mode of Man U. when I posted that.
I just hate having to go to two difference sites if I can help it and I'm sure you will agree.