the Barclays English Premier League thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Liverpool got lucky but you need some luck sometimes. Spurs are self destructing once again. Hopefully the new manager can stop the rot before it is to late. 8O
naughty

Post by naughty »

i cant see it as pool got lucky - they took the lead quite early on - and im not the biggest Gerrard Fan - but his free kick was a cracker effort

and arsenal are okay - but i still dont see them as impressive
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I'm not overly impressed with them, but I do think they are starting to play well together, especially for such a young team.

This weekend against Man U is gonna be the real test I think...
naughty

Post by naughty »

gonna be a test of United as well - especially with the Roony Tevez partnership upfront showing some promise now - and even though its still not a make or break thing for either side this early on in the season it could shape how the rest of the entire season goes on

anyways im not going to read too much into it since this is traditionally when Man U start paying crap - and then they pick up again after Christmas - November and December are always bad months for them - not making any excuses or anything - just going by how its been for the last few seasons

i hope that it will be an interesting match though - ie an attacking festival of football instead of a boring "dour drawn game" to paraphrase Lance above
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Dooza

Post by Dooza »

naughty wrote: anyways im not going to read too much into it since this is traditionally when Man U start paying crap - and then they pick up again after Christmas - November and December are always bad months for them
You've got it wrong dude, last season we were on fire during the Christmas period, it was when Ronaldo was in top form and he scored a lot of his goals during that period. The two seasons when Chelsea were champions it was during this same period that we managed to close the gap they had on us, in both those seasons our slow start was the reason Chelsea got away. After the last round of Euro Qualifiers then we gonna see if Arsenal can keep playing as well as they're doing at the moment, during that time each team plays about 3 times a week so we gonna see if Arsenal's youngsters can deal with that
Dooza

Post by Dooza »

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Fixtu ... 06,00.html
The above link takes you to last season Decembers results and if you follow the links from there you can see November's as well

Here is the Man United results for that period
November
Man United 3 - 0 Portsmouth
Blackburn 0 - 1 Man United
Sheffield Utd 1 - 2 Man United
Man United 1 - 1 Chelsea
Man United 3 - 0 Everton

December
Middlesbrough 1 - 2 Man United
Man United 3 - 1 Man City
West Ham 1 - 0 Man United
Aston Villa 0 - 3 Man United
Man United 3 - 1 Wigan
Man United 3 - 2 Reading

@Naughty 1 draw and 1 loss during those 2 months that is according to you the period that we normally play crap :lol:
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Christmas is traditionally United strongest part of the season. I remember the 1996/1997 season when they were behind Liverpool and a few others. By the end of Christmas they were top. That is the season they lost their unbeaten record at home in the champions league.
naughty

Post by naughty »

okay - maybe i was wrong - but over the years thats the impression that ive had - as ive said maybe it was the wrong impression

i certainly hope though that they can keep up the momentum that they are beginning to build
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Well the game was not as dour as I thought it would be, Arsenal dominated well at times. Gallas' goal was a good one at the end, nice repayment for Rooney getting one which was deflected off Gallas!
Last edited by lancelot on 03 Nov 2007, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

I can't believe United could not hold onto the lead with seconds left. It was just like last year when they last thanks to a last second winner. At least they did not lose this time. :(
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Chelsea won again, Newcastle United lost again and half time Liverpool was drawing with Blackburn. I will have to check the other scores.
Dooza

Post by Dooza »

CesarePlay wrote:I can't believe United could not hold onto the lead with seconds left. It was just like last year when they last thanks to a last second winner. At least they did not lose this time. :(
I can't believe it either but we gonna beat them at Old Trafford
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

I hope so. A repeat of United 6 Arsenal 1 would be nice. Do you think Spurs will get relegated along with Bolton?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Well done Arsenal!

Still unbeaten and still top of the table! :D
Dooza

Post by Dooza »

CesarePlay wrote:I hope so. A repeat of United 6 Arsenal 1 would be nice. Do you think Spurs will get relegated along with Bolton?
I'm worried about spurs, they are like my second team. They have the players to avoid the drop but we'll have to wait and see what kind of impact Ramos has at white heart lane. If Berbatov finds his form and Lennon manages to shake of his injury problems they can make a huge difference for Spurs. I honestly think its gonna be hard but they'll stay up. Bolton aren't the same team without Allardyce. Big Sam made things happen for Bolton and they're struggling without him. Sammy Lee was his understudy for along time but he didn't learn anything and he got sacked. Megson has a massive job ahead of him and they'll need a huge turnaround if they are to avoid the drop
Dooza

Post by Dooza »

Damn Arsenal won again last night, guess i'm gonna have to wait until they visit Old Trafford for them to lose since no one else wants to beat them but I have a feeling that youngsters are gonna burn out before the end of the season
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hmmmm, so what do all of you who were saying how Arsenal's youngsters are gonna burn out say now?

Still top of the log baby, they're having an excellent season I think... :twisted:

"Arsenal extended their lead at the Premier League summit to five points with a 2-0 win over Blackburn, who made them work every inch of the way to defend Philippe Senderos' opener. Senderos struck early on at the Emirates Stadium and could have added more, only for Brad Friedel to keep the visitors in the game. But Emmanuel Adebayor secured all three points when he added the second in stoppage-time."

1. Arsenal - 63 points
2. Man UTD - 58 points
3. Chelsea - 55 points
4. Everton - 47 points
5. Liverpool - 44 points
naughty

Post by naughty »

i think that the gunners should win the league this year - but they still dont play very entertaining football to me - i can see a difference between the way they play or united or even chelsea

united when fergusson decides to chose the correct team has a very watchable style of play - so i still cant get to like the gunners much - sure they win - but it isnt in the classy effortless manner that united can manage on their good days

their performance against Man city was a terrible day - cos fergie decided to leave out both holding midfield players (carrick and hargreaves) and decided to put on the very attacking combination of Nani and anderson which left them with no midfield when city decided to break on the counter - and fergies reliance on Rio Ferdinand is to me a big mistake

but either way - no excuses - its looking like arsenal will win the league with united and chelsea battling it out for second place - its also gonna be interesting to see who really gets that 4th spot
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I cannot agree with you naughty, I feel Arsenal have a style of play that suits the team resulting in some good wins. I hope they win but am not that sure about it right now, sure they had , in my opinion, :D a good game against Blackburn I thought, the Rovers have not lost too many away games this season, in fact only two.
MU had a bad stumble at a critical time, the race is now on the boil!
naughty

Post by naughty »

righto - points difference back down to 1 - and chelsea not far behind - the crunch match is gonna be when United play the gunners - that will determine by-and-large how it will finish up - cos either united will even p on points or go ahead - or the gunners will go 4 points clear and chelsea begin to catch up to united

exciting times for any premier league fan - im glued onto the telly nowadays watching these matches - great entertainment and drama
naughty

Post by naughty »

okay - United win the league again

i was kind of surprised at the gunners - they really just fizzled out - but we did say earlier that they would crumble once they hit their first loss - only they didnt start losing - just drew 9 games in a row - that cost them the season IMHO

chelsea did put up a bit of a fight - if they settle down with their new manager they will probably put up a better fight next season

also i want to watch that champions league final between united and chelsea - its going to give some sort of indication of next years season in the premier league as well as the champions league

i would off course love it if United do a double :wink:
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Yes the Champions League match is going to be good. I wonder if John Terry will be fit to play, he got totally hammered yesterday against Bolton. They will need him at the back in the final.

Well done to United winning the league - and to Giggs for equalling number of appearances with Sir Bobby.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED ------ MOSCOW HERE WE COME -----
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Well done MU.

ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Well done MU!

Arsenal did so well then just fizzled out as naughty says, kinda disappointing... :?

I'm very glad MU took it over Chelsea though, and hope they do the same in the Champions League Final!