The Movie Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by DarkRanger »

I agree. In the highly regrettable sequel land, this one is probably the best.

Not a big fan of sequels, because 95% of the time they **** it up.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

gonna go watch Iron Man 3 on Sunday :D :D :D
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Me too, although I don't get why people adored the first one so much. It was better than average I suppose.

I'm gonna go see Oblivion too while I'm at it :D
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Molean

Post by Molean »

D3PART3D wrote:Me too, although I don't get why people adored the first one so much. It was better than average I suppose.

I'm gonna go see Oblivion too while I'm at it :D
I see what you mean, but it was an origin story and I felt they pulled it off very well. That is why people hold it in such high regard in respect to the series and to be honest, this addition should have actually been the sequel...
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So I watched Looper last night, and while there were a few weird things about it, I enjoyed it. It definitely gave more than I expected. From what I had seen, I expected little more than an Old Joe versus Young Joe movie, but they made the plot a little more intriguing than that. I thought they pulled it off quite well.

Then I watched The Last Stand. There was nothing redeeming about it in the sense of originality, but it's been a long time since I've watched an action flick that took me back to the last-man-standing 90s films that I used to love as a teen. It was exactly the kind of movie that Arnie would've made back in his heyday, and for that it was quite charming. You won't have to think in the slightest, you'll feel like you've seen it a million times . . . but you'll feel like it's been a while since you've seen it, so a sense of nostalgia will kick in. If you enjoyed that type of movie as a kid, that is.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Also enjoyed Looper. Wasn't brilliant, but well worth the watch.

Still have to watch Last Stand.

G.I Joe Retaliation was horrible. Terrible plot, dodgy science, etc. Bruce Willis appears to be in every second movie these days. Choose your projects man!

Watched Parker with Jason Statham last night. Had it's good points, but the plot holes were cavernous. I think they must have had a terrible editor and/or screenwriter.

Also watched Movie 43. It was all kinds of silly and that is exactly what it wanted to be. I enjoyed it, but will not be everyone's cup of tea. After reading reviews (which were mostly poor), I also watched Kentucky Fried Movie and The Groove Tube, which are counterparts from the 70's. Just as silly and very explicit at times. A whole other brand of film making. Almost like The Onion with an R rating. Enjoyed! :)

The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Eeerrrr. Wasn't as bad as I hoped it would be, but plenty bad nonetheless. Just don't make a sequel. Please.

Jach Reacher was good enough. As crazy as Tom Cruise might be, I enjoy all his movies. Biggest gripe is that he does not physically stack up to the character in the books, but I didn't read the books, so no matter I suppose. Can't wait for Oblivion, which will be released on DVD in June.

Gangster Squad wasn't bad either. I Like the feel of the movie and Sean Penn is less hateful than usual. Again not something that will go down in the annals as one of the greats, but a worthy gangster movie.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Start Trek Into Darkness.
Awesome.
That is all.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I agree 100%. The 2D and the 3D were absolutely fantastic. The 3D is not dark at all - and really lets you feel like you are in the action. As you know - never been a fan of the 3D - but I am now.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

I had to go see it in 3D as there are very few theaters that do offer it in 2D. After the first 15 minutes I could hardly notice it tbh. :)

The only criticism I have heard and I understand although I do not wholy agree with is that it's more of an action move, than a true Star Trek movie.

Be that as it may, JJ has broken the Trek curse of odd numbered movies.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

No no. If people really knew the lore behind the characters - they would have picked up soo many in jokes. Some were really silly - but brilliant! I would say it was True Trek! And I have watched them all (I mean every single episode and movie ever made)
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Tribble wrote:No no. If people really knew the lore behind the characters - they would have picked up soo many in jokes.
Spoiler (show)
Oh dude! Are you kidding me? "If the roles were reversed, you would do the same?" I could not wait to tell my SO about Wrath of Khan after the movie ended...

But!
Star Trek is supposed to be more about exploration. "Boldly go where no man has gone before" and all that...
- H. L. Mancken
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

That was hilarious - and sad. But really funny.

No! It is James T Kirk in the chair - not Piccard. Of course there is going to be tons of action - the female and the kaboom kind. Didn't you love their tails btw ? And did you see me? My cameo role? I am up for an Oscar for that one :D
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Tribble wrote:Didn't you love their tails btw ?
It was... interesting :mrgreen:
Tribble wrote:And did you see me? My cameo role? I am up for an Oscar for that one :D
8) yeah! But you did give the game away somewhat. :lol:
Stuart wrote:WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN!
damn you!
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Greywolf: Just put some spoiler tags around your spoilers there. ;)

I thought it was great. Less plotholy than the last one I felt, lots of action, great special effects, some expected bits, some surprises. But overall I'm really starting to get into the new age Star Trek now. And hopefully the next one will deliver what is promised at the end of this one! That is what I have been waiting for from the first one. The script will need to intelligent and original though.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

KALSTER wrote:Greywolf: Just put some spoiler tags around your spoilers there. ;)
My bad!
KALSTER wrote:I thought it was great. Less plotholy than the last one I felt, lots of action, great special effects, some expected bits, some surprises. But overall I'm really starting to get into the new age Star Trek now. And hopefully the next one will deliver what is promised at the end of this one! That is what I have been waiting for from the first one. The script will need to intelligent and original though.
I am worried abou this. J J Abrahms is now going to direct the next Star Wars, I hope they don't hand Star Trek over to some fool like Michael Bay or M. Night Shyamalan
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

GreyWolf wrote:
KALSTER wrote:Greywolf: Just put some spoiler tags around your spoilers there. ;)
My bad!
KALSTER wrote:I thought it was great. Less plotholy than the last one I felt, lots of action, great special effects, some expected bits, some surprises. But overall I'm really starting to get into the new age Star Trek now. And hopefully the next one will deliver what is promised at the end of this one! That is what I have been waiting for from the first one. The script will need to intelligent and original though.
I am worried abou this. J J Abrahms is now going to direct the next Star Wars, I hope they don't hand Star Trek over to some fool like Michael Bay or M. Night Shyamalan
Don't even say that out load! :shock:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Yes don't.

Yes that bit did give the plot away :( But I didn't really mind
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

If anyone is thinking of going to see After Earth... and really, why would you...

My advice is rather punch yourself in the reproductive organs. That experience will at least be more memorable than this movie that went absolutely nowhere.

Going to see World War Z on Thursday. Despite all its issues everyone says its a fun movie.
Here's hoping!
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Thanks for the warning and GL for Thursday
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
ghett0_ghuru
Processor: Intel Core2 duo E6320
Motherboard: Nvidia MCP73
Graphics card: ancient
Memory: not enough

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

Eventually ST will be handed off .... the best to hope for in that case is JJ being given a similar role to that of Christopher Nolan, so as to maintain not only singularity ito vision, but quality as well.
BTW .... loved Into Darkness - great death and resurrection Tribble - love how Quinto's Spock subtly departs from that of Nimoy and Kirk is still the action hero in the ST universe. In my mind : well done JJ
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I practised for weeks for that role :D

It was awesome.

I hear that World War Z is fantastic - not a masterpiece - but really good entertainment. Can't wait to see it
ghett0_ghuru
Processor: Intel Core2 duo E6320
Motherboard: Nvidia MCP73
Graphics card: ancient
Memory: not enough

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

Man of Steel is next on my menu.... Brad Pitt and the Zombies will unfortunately have to wait
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

ghett0_ghuru wrote:Man of Steel is next on my menu.... Brad Pitt and the Zombies will unfortunately have to wait
Mostly this. ^^

I saw Into Darkness this Sunday and ya- realised by the way the others here are on about a few things that I don't know nearly enough about Kirk and the original stuff. Will have to fix that at some point.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Tribble wrote:I practised for weeks for that role :D
ImageImageImage
- H. L. Mancken