When to eat? Before or after a workout??

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
PaperCut

When to eat? Before or after a workout??

Post by PaperCut »

so...

let's say for instance...

I get off work @ around 16:30. Then I decide I wanna go to gym at around 19:00ish neh, would it be a better idea to eat before I go or when I get back, around 21:00 - 22:00ish??

Considering that I might gain some weight instead of muscle depending on when I eat.

So when's the best time to chew on something?? before or after?

And what's the best thing to eat at either of the times???
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Depends if you following a diet as well. Many times you eating a day. Normally I eat about 1 or 2 hours before.

My last meal before gym is at 3pm. I train from 4 to 5:30 ands eat again at 6pm...

Here is a Diet:
http://files-upload.com/407474/AKMassDi ... l.xls.html
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Eat about an hour before, have a protein shake straight afterwards. Never wait until afterwards to eat!
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Rish_zn

Re: When to eat? Before or after a workout??

Post by Rish_zn »

I get off work @ around 16:30. Then I decide I wanna go to gym at around 19:00ish neh, would it be a better idea to eat before I go or when I get back, around 21:00 - 22:00ish??
Well actually both, but this depends on many factors. wot is your goal? building muscle? loosing weight? just to keep fit?

It would be best to eat, at least 2 hours before before training, and it depends wot training to actually doing. If you are doing cardiovascular training and your goal is to loose weight make sure u eat some good quality carbohydrates during pre workout but not too much as you will feel bloated and lathargic when u training.

and now for post workout, remember ur body needs replenishing after the workout as well, so i would recommend having a protein and carbohydrate mixed shake. However never eat and then immediately sleep. Give your body (your metabolism) at least one or 2 hours to work. Your body goes into a RMR resting metabolic rate when u sleep, therefore converting all your excess carbohydrates into fat.
My schedule is very similar to yours, i used to eat around 3 4 ish and train about 6, and finish my workout by 8. thereafter i have my shakes and a light meal and then sleep..
So when's the best time to chew on something?? before or after?
Both actually
And what's the best thing to eat at either of the times???
It depends entirely on what your goal is.. If you wanna build muscle then a high protein meal will help ie (fish, eggs, chicken soy, protein tuna, a good protein meal replacement also helps).. If loosing weight is your goal then replenish them with complex carbohydrates which are slow releasing. (stuff like potatoes, pasta, whole wheat bread, beans.. :lol:

My comments are totally subjective it really depends on what works for you..
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

Well I was under the impression that most of you knew how my body looks.

Anywayz...

my goal is mainly to put on some weight. Hopefully in the form of muscles. but i don't wanna be all ripped. An average increase in my BMI wouldn't be such a bad thing...

I just wanna look my age. more or less... :)
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Follow the diet I gave and train hard , and you will get there. Just be pateint and dont give up.

Results might happen slowely , but when you see them its well worth it.
Rish_zn

Post by Rish_zn »

PaperCut wrote:Well I was under the impression that most of you knew how my body looks.

Anywayz...

my goal is mainly to put on some weight. Hopefully in the form of muscles. but i don't wanna be all ripped. An average increase in my BMI wouldn't be such a bad thing...

I just wanna look my age. more or less... :)
ok then...

U should try stuff like fast grow from usn or xtreme grow from muscle science, If you can afford more expensive stuff then go for it, it usually has 3 times the amount of carbohydrates than protein which helps in weight gain, at the same time building muscle. Speak to your gym instructor, he/she should advise you, and remember train hard :wink:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Acidkidsa wrote:Follow the diet I gave and train hard , and you will get there. Just be pateint and dont give up.

Results might happen slowely , but when you see them its well worth it.
Ooh what's your workout? :twisted: (take advantage when I can :wink: )

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

flip!

I don't wanna go the whole... "do you have any idea how many calories are in that!!!!" route.

But then again I guess, there's no gain without compromise... :roll:

I'm sure there's another way though isn't there...??

So basically I should eat around 2 hours before gym and not immediately before bed?? no?
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

I posted with the first reply? Can you see it ?

Here it is again..

http://files-upload.com/407474/AKMassDi ... l.xls.html
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

BTW, I have a three days a week workout routine, am I allowed to workout while still sore from the last one :?: :?: :?:

- Elon Musk
Cure

Post by Cure »

you can just as long as you don't over do it, normally you would do that when trying to bulk up thou.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Yeah just dont train the same muscel group more than once a week. Give you muscels time to heal.

The pain from you workout will be bad the first few weeks. After a while you will get use to the pain , and it wont be as sore..

Here is the best gyming program around in my opinion. It really works, I know alot of guys doing this program and the results speak for themselves .

http://www.freedomfly.net/Documents/MAX-OT.pdf
Fcon_Vpro

Post by Fcon_Vpro »

If you struggling to sleep after having a meal, try have casein protein instead of whey. Casein protein is digested over a longer time period and not digested as quick as whey. Not sure if the results will be as great as with whey but chances are you will be able to sleep easier and you have a protein that builds muscle while you rest and so also keeps your body anabolic all the time and not suffering through your 8 hours sleep.

However I still think you need carbs after every workout to replenish glycogen. I think you just need to train your body to get used to a meal close to bed time.

Or else why not train early mornings?