Big Citi Life!!!

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Most insurance companies are starting to refuse insurance on new Citi Golf's. For very valid reasons too...
Ryan - thats partly urban legend - it only applies to certain models and basically any brand new one will get insured - theres a list of the ones which cannot get insured - and thats only certain insurance companies - its not a general thing

i wouldnt trust those insurance companies - to me they are mickey mouse establishments - they are saying "hey we will insure your car unless its one thats not regularly stolen cos we dont like to lose money and we will only like to insure cars that dont get stolen cos we want your money and we dont want to pay you out when your stuff gets stolen"
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Okay lemme rephrase.

I'd much rather buy a 1.4 Polo brand new fully loaded for less than the 1.8 citi for the exact same reasons I mentioned before.

The citi had a good run and it is long past its sell by date...they must just let it die now and move on with the times...VW has some very nice micros in Europe which far surpass the citi in every aspect except maybe retro appeal.
naughty

Post by naughty »

except maybe retro appeal.
but thats the essence of the citi - its the reason why enthusiasts still buy the car - for me thats why its such a great project car :wink:

as ive said earlier - its a free country - you buy what you like - id prefer a citi 1.8 instead of a polo 1.4 which takes almost double the time to get going - the polo is like a donkey that you need a fishing pole with a carrot dangling in front of to make it move

i may have a polo but i still feel that the citi handles a bit better in cornering and has more steering feedback thus makes for a more positive sportier drive - if you are a sporty driver and you feel that the feedback isnt important then please get another hobby besides driving since you will smash your car very often then 8O

the only disadvantages of the citi to me are the lack of a power steering which kills the steering rack very often and a lack of ABS brakes - everything else is just stuff that adds no value and is over rated

having said that personally id buy a citi cause i like it - if you dont then fair enough - that doesn tmake it a bad car - it just means that its a car that you dont like - sales figure prove that there are more people who like it than those who dont :wink: - they have made their choice and are putting their money behind their thoughts - you prefer another brand - fine - buy that but dont flame the car because it isnt your choice - how many times do i need to say this
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

The exact same argument could be used for you ;) Flogging a dead horse.

Yes the citi is quicker and handles better (arguable) but I'd much rather be in a polo when in an accident than the citi.

If I wanted speed, I'd buy myself a R25k race prepared citi and take it to the track, but in the public roads...safer is better...again...my opinion.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Flogging a dead horse.
dude im not flogging anything

ive said it 100 times before buy what you want - dont buy the citi - as for opinion of the citi and me i will say

"opinions are like arseholes - everyones got one" - which means that your opinion isnt necessarily the gospel truth
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

naughty wrote:
Most insurance companies are starting to refuse insurance on new Citi Golf's. For very valid reasons too...
Ryan - thats partly urban legend - it only applies to certain models and basically any brand new one will get insured - theres a list of the ones which cannot get insured - and thats only certain insurance companies - its not a general thing

i wouldnt trust those insurance companies - to me they are mickey mouse establishments - they are saying "hey we will insure your car unless its one thats not regularly stolen cos we dont like to lose money and we will only like to insure cars that dont get stolen cos we want your money and we dont want to pay you out when your stuff gets stolen"
It is not urban legend.

My assosciate wanted to buy a Velociti, brand new...

There were about 2 or 3 companies that refused insurance, the other companies quoted upwards of R1500 to R2000 for standard insurance... Still with excess and other values... Then you pay more for insurance than for the car... Thus no reason in having the insurance...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

The Golf mk1 needs to die I'm sorry, its had its run. Yes its cheap, yes it can go very fast, and yes there are a few I've seen that are very nice, but come on, its time to move on.
If you tune my car again I am going to kill you.
Point taken it is old - but value for money you will not beat.
And yes I am acting militant because Golfs are passionate cars,Golf1's are everlasting - deal with it.
The thing with insurance is true for most of the bigger companies - and it all depends on your area / age.
I just got a couple of quotes.. best one was beat by one of the local south coast companies - I was quoted R470.00 ... which is awesome compared to the quotes from Budget / Dial Direct / OutSurance (they where all +-1k
Temporary Absence
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Slasher wrote:
naughty wrote:

It is not urban legend.

My assosciate wanted to buy a Velociti, brand new...

There were about 2 or 3 companies that refused insurance, the other companies quoted upwards of R1500 to R2000 for standard insurance... Still with excess and other values... Then you pay more for insurance than for the car... Thus no reason in having the insurance...
Yep, that is correct. Hollard even issued a statement saying they are no longer insuring new Citi Golf's.

Value for money?! R120K for the Citi R with no aircon, no airbags, no ABS, no power steering, no electric windows, no electric anything for that matter... Does it even have a radio? Not value for money at all in my opinion... :?
MrAnarchy

Post by MrAnarchy »

The CTI R is an absolute joke, even if the price were less.
Firstly they still use leaf springs with a cross bar in the rear, which is death.

I have a golf II GTI 16V, leather seats, aircon elec windows, Independant suspension,anti lock brakes and that was 15 years ago. I had a BMW 318is before that and I love the golf.
eventhough its not as safe and does not have air bags. Im insured through Hollard, didnt know they dont insure new citis but I dont blame them.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Firstly they still use leaf springs with a cross bar in the rear, which is death.
someone else who doesnt have a single clue what they are talking about .... dude leaf springs are what they use in a bakkie or mainly in vehicles that take a load at the back and dont need much comfort to carry passengers - the citigolf uses coil springs - heres how VW describes the rear suspension
Coil springs, combined trailing arm torsion beam axle
find out what you are talking about before you make a total fool of yourself - and for your information a brand new citigolf is far safer than your old gti 16v which is 15 years old - that car is more of a menace on the road - any car that is more than 5 years old is way unsafe than even a brand new TATA so dont talk rubbish

a universal joint failed in my seemingly safe honda and the car landed on the huib - lucky my sister wasnt driving it fast at the time - the car is in what most people would deem excellent condition for its age - but when a car is 10 years old anything is liable to fail - not so on a new car - unless you are extremely unlucky

i would way rather have the brand new citi instead of your "death trap" 15 year old car - and i consider any car older than 10 years to be a death trap since nowadays with planned obsolescence cars are only designed to last exactly 4 years on an average - more than that is a bonus

BTW Hollard is the much publicised company that doesnt want to insure citi's - most of the others still will - i was only paying R300 p/m for my citi before i sold it - it was 7 years old and did 270000km's in my hands - all city driving and it will still do at least another 100000 before the engine needs to be opened for any major repairs - three more years though and IMHO it will also be a death trap too despite how well i looked after it
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Anthropoid wrote:but value for money you will not beat.
If you say so.
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

Anthropoid wrote: If you tune my car again I am going to kill you.
You go girl

Oh and apparently the Corvette C6 also runs on leaf springs amazingly enough :? He he, show in american Handling :o
And yes I am acting militant because Golfs are passionate cars,Golf1's are everlasting - deal with it.
Oh and another thing, theres a difference between being passionate and just plain being a doos
Is this thing on?Helloooo?
naughty

Post by naughty »

Oh and another thing, theres a difference between being passionate and just plain being a doos
haha - YOU should know - but you carry on like you dont

look guy - VW sells 1500+ of these cars every month over the last 5 years - so are 90000+ people over that 5 year period who have bought the car all doos'es - or are the 50 idiots who have their periods on the internet when a citigolf is mentioned the actual doos'es

actually i doubt that there been times that the monthly sales have dropped below 1500 p/m in the last 5 years - and there been times when its climbed to around 2500 in certain months - so that estimate is way low but i will give it the benefit of the doubt on the side of a conservative figure

VW have categorically stated when they announced that they will build this car till 2012 that they will not stop it for whatever reason - if things are not broken why fix it - are you and the other guys having their periods now going to give VW the cash that they lose per year to stop production of this car at 1500 per month which becomes conservatively R1440000000 [yes 7 zeros following the other numbers .... count them](12 x 1500 multiplied by R80k average per car [highest model = R107k and lowest = R74k) = R1.44 billion turnover for one year - do you think that THEY ARE AS STUPID AS YOU ARE TO STOP PRODUCTION when they look at their balance sheet - and god forbid that you try and project that to over 5 years

remember that they dont have the car to place into that sector when they stop sales of that model - and no-one is magically going to say "righto i'll buy a golf 5 GTI DSG at R285k or a golf 5 R32 at R400k full house with the relevant extra's because i cannot get a citigolf" - they are going to go and buy a picanto ot a tata or a charade cos those are below R100k - so is VW as insane as you seem to be to donate all that cash to those other manufacturers

so stop thinking with what you use in the toilet and start using a brain instead and realise that what you are asking for is an impossibility and even beyond a wetdream/pipedream - you can stand on your head and whistle through your bottom and fart out the bass to whichever tune you like - THEY ARE NOT GOING TO STOP PRODUCTION TILL 2012 (well thats what they said so im sticking to that story till they announce differently) ..... kapisch ........ DEAL WITH IT
Oh and apparently the Corvette C6 also runs on leaf springs amazingly enough
DUDE - ARE YOU DEAF, DUMB , STUPID OR ALL OF THE ABOVE BECAUSE I ALREADY TOLD YOU THE CITI USES COIL SPRINGS AND NOT LEAF SPRINGS - SO WHERE IS THE ALSO BIT ..... ARE YOUR READING POWERS OR POWERS OF COMPREHENSION DIMINISHING ..... whoops sorry you cannot lose what you never had in the first place - ive typed in caps above so you dont lose track of what was said - please read it instead of looking at the letters and thinking " duh ..... i really wonder what he said there but those letters he used sure are real pretty" - if the corvette C6 runs on leaf springs it has nothing to do with the citigolf
Last edited by naughty on 31 Jul 2007, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

+ 5000 Forums points to naughty for destroying the rest of Charger14's life.

and

- 5000 Forum point to Charger14 for being a doos.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

Wow. My thread went from a simple request for people to vote for mah pix to a discussion about killoWatts & killoJoules and stuff.

To be honest with all of yous. I don't know Jack Schidt about cars. But one thing for sure; I ain't buying any car that doesn't put the safety & comfort of the driver first.

I'm no expert, but no powersteering, no airbags, probably no rollbars, I'm not even sure if it has side impact bars. :/ no electric windows. no abs. basically nothing that protects you @$$ from dying in case you're in an accident... doesn't really make it an option in my books. I'd much rather invest in a 206 (for instance) as a first car.

my 2cents.
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
Rish_zn

Post by Rish_zn »

LMAO... AND THE PWNAGE CONTINUES

so stop thinking with what you use in the toilet and start using a brain instead and realise that what you are asking for is an impossibility and even beyond a wetdream/pipedream - you can stand on your head and whistle through your bottom and fart out the bass to whichever tune you like - THEY ARE NOT GOING TO STOP PRODUCTION TILL 2012 (well thats what they said so im sticking to that story till they announce differently) ..... kapisch ........ DEAL WITH IT
i LIKE THIS PART THE BEST.. LMFRIKKENA$$ OFF
:twisted:
naughty

Post by naughty »

no powersteering, no airbags, probably no rollbars, I'm not even sure if it has side impact bars. :/ no electric windows. no abs. basically nothing that protects you @$$ from dying in case you're in an accident... doesn't really make it an option in my books
what you fail to realise is that the majority of those things are tested to only work at up to 60km/h which is why the 60 in built up areas is not a randomly chosen figure

above that speed and most of those things that you have mentioned do jack for the purposes you require - so they are as good as not being there - lots of people do realise this especially those who have been in high speed collisions

my accident experience is not limited to just being rear-ended - in the folly of my youth i lost control of a car at 220km/h and skidded all over the place till i stopped some 500meters away from where i lost control of the car - i still lived even though the car did not have airbags or traction control or abs etc etc etc

it all depends on the type of collision you have and how you react - driver training is the best anti-collision tool ever and all that nonsense in the car to me gives the driver a false sense of security - which is why most modern drivers think that they are god and cannot die hence drive like total morons - forget all of that stuff and learn how to drive and it will serve you better instead - so when you do have it in your car its a bonus
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

naughty wrote:
no powersteering, no airbags, probably no rollbars, I'm not even sure if it has side impact bars. :/ no electric windows. no abs. basically nothing that protects you @$$ from dying in case you're in an accident... doesn't really make it an option in my books
it all depends on the type of collision you have and how you react - driver training is the best anti-collision tool ever and all that nonsense in the car to me gives the driver a false sense of security - which is why most modern drivers think that they are god and cannot die hence drive like total morons - forget all of that stuff and learn how to drive and it will serve you better instead - so when you do have it in your car its a bonus
Maybe that's what I'm looking for. I'd much rather "feel" safe than be safe depending on how some doos colides with me [or the other way round]

All's I'm saying...

please don't flame me :cry:
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Such a crap site.
Try to register don't get activation e-mail.
Hit forgot password it says new password has been e-mailed no password :(
naughty

Post by naughty »

please don't flame me
well no flaming required - but i cant make too much sense of what you write here
I'd much rather "feel" safe than be safe
you would rather feel safe - but die in a collision instead of really being safe cause there is strong steel wrapped around you instead of you being in a "cardboard car" just cos its got an airbag - well be my guest :lol:
naughty

Post by naughty »

for the guys saying its time to "move on" - heres the sales figures for july from NAAMSA
1 Volkswagen - Polo 3415 » View Gallery
» Buy
2 Toyota - Corolla/RunX/Verso 2797 » View Gallery
» Buy
3 Toyota - Yaris 2469 » View Gallery
» Buy
4 Volkswagen - CitiGolf 2114 » View Gallery
» Buy
5 Opel - Corsa 1405 » View Gallery
» Buy
6 Volkswagen - Golf/Jetta V 1156 » View Gallery
» Buy
7 Nissan - Tiida 1060 » View Gallery
» Buy
8 Toyota - Avanza 886 » View Gallery
» Buy
9 Ford - Fiesta 828 » View Gallery
» Buy
10 BMW - 3 Series 795 » View Gallery
so raise your hands how many people think that VW will listen to the sob sisters who say that they should drop the citi - in fact the citi is down from its usual number two spot and has dropped sales from around 2700+ the previous two months - so yeah i think that dropping the vehicle from the product lineup is an idea that has 5 chances - and at the risk of boring you guys since ive mentioned that list before ill enumerate those once again

1) a fat chance
2) a slim chance
3) a dog's chance
4) no chance whatsoever
5) a snowflakes chance of surviving a trip through hell
Belix

Post by Belix »

I don't get people. The car is selling, so some people must dig it. You can't believe all those people just bought the car because they fell for the adverts only.

GET OVER IT!

If you don't like it, don't buy it for &*# sake! Don't try and crusade just because you don't like it. :roll: :roll:

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |