my Polo GTI (wheels updated)

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

naughty --> your car is really looking sweet. I think the 18's suit it to a T. Its gonna be really tight once you give it a 35mm drop.

I have an Antera 343 replica in 17" on my Polo hatch and I think they look too small. I'm also on the verge of dropping it..... Just been too busy to do my homework....
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Feel free to lend it to me for the weekend :wink:
Awesome ride dude
naughty

Post by naughty »

Let me know if you manage to find a Zymol agent here in durbs... I'm looking to treat my new cabbie to some of that hotness too.
Hey Bash - ive found out about the zymol - cant get it anywhere in SA - only way to do it is go to joburg and visit either maldino or MJP and do the ful treatment for 600 bucks or so

otherwise you need to import it in - so im gonna stick to the meguiars three stage polish ie they do a wash and than a prep coat - and then a coat of gold class and wipe and than a coat of NXT and buff with a machine - hope that does the trick
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

nawty, i have a 12" sub at the mo, but no amp, i have my sub running off the channels i had my 6x9 on, i know its not great but its a solution for now. now my question is, when i have my left and right channel that the 6x9's were running on, both connected to the sub, the front speakers make a scratching noise when i turn the volume up, but when i only have hte sub running off one channel the scratching is gone, BUT the sub is extremely soft...i have to fade the volume hecticaly to the back so that the sub is audible when i turn the volume up near max....how can i get it to sound decent until i get an amp? :( :( :(
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
naughty

Post by naughty »

well th efront speakers sound scratchy because you are turning the volume full up and trying to run a headunits built in amp in bridged mode - a head unit isnt designed to drive a sub and you could damage the headunits built in amplifier - IMHO you should rather get the amp and drive the sub - but if you cant then disconnect the sub until you can afford it

rather have something you cant use then actually damage what you do have - and trust me you think you wont damage anything but the problem is that the sub can actually suffer more damage from underpowering than from overpowering - sonce yo will definitely be playing it at levels that it clips the waveform in order to even hear it - and subs are designed to be cooled when they reach their full excursion - when you dont reach that full excursion as would happen with too little power then any volume that you play it at just doesnt make it move enough to cool the voice coils sufficiently

its rather complicated but IMHO you should rather disconnect that sub and put the 6x9's back on - also you need some form of crossover to prevent high frequencies from playing in that sub - and from your description you dont have that - well you defenitely must have a low pass on that to prevent any midbass or midrange frequencies from being played

subs are large thus they move slower - they are designed to handle subsonic bass which means frequencies below 100hz - 100hz means that they would be moving at a maximum of 100 times up and down within one second - trying to then feed 400hz ie make that large cone move up and down in a piston type action 400 times per second becomes hectic and without any form of crossover filtering as you have it now means its playing from 20hz to 20000hz now imagine a tweeter which is around an inch in diameter is able to move up and down 20000 times in a second but now imagine a sub trying to do that - it will get damaged instantly IMHO especially as soon as you play demanding music

without an amp and a c4rossover or an amp with a built in crossover with a low pass you cannot get it to sound decent - in fact if you leave it as is by the time you can afford the amp you will need to replace that sub as well so best you disconnect it ASAP - sorry its not what you want to hear but thats the long and the short of it
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

thanks for that advice, i actually have disconnected the sub for the time being as it sounds defenitely not like a sub should. i rem reading what you said earlier on here about underpowering causing as much damage..tnx for the tips! ill keep the sub disconnected till i can get that amp. truth is my sound sounds much better at the mo with the 6x9's in than the sub, its more chrystal clear and can go much louder. shot buddy!
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
naughty

Post by naughty »

cool man - no probs - hopefully when you do get the amplifier then you can enjoy your sound to the fullest - mine gets to sound better and better each day - and one of the reasons for that is that ive replaced my alpine headunit with a far more expensive kenwood headunit - and that deck is still running in but it sounds absolutely awesome - i wish everyone could get a system like mine but im sure that not everyone wants to spend R20k on car sound 8O - good luck with your sound and i hope you enjoy it when you complete the setup :wink:
Bash

Post by Bash »

naughty wrote:
Let me know if you manage to find a Zymol agent here in durbs... I'm looking to treat my new cabbie to some of that hotness too.
Hey Bash - ive found out about the zymol - cant get it anywhere in SA - only way to do it is go to joburg and visit either maldino or MJP and do the ful treatment for 600 bucks or so

otherwise you need to import it in - so im gonna stick to the meguiars three stage polish ie they do a wash and than a prep coat - and then a coat of gold class and wipe and than a coat of NXT and buff with a machine - hope that does the trick
Thanks bro. I'll also stick to meguiars.
naughty

Post by naughty »

hey whoa - i had forgotten about this thread LOL - ive got a small update to add - the tyres on the 18" rims were becoming a problem since i kept on losing tyres each time i hit a a pothole - i didnt even need to be travelling at speed cos twice i lost tyres doing below 60km/h in central town where Neotel was laying their retarded lines - so thanks very much Neotel for costing me some unnecessary expenditure

so hey i decided id go smaller on the width and also diameter of the rims - so i had a choice - go for the exact same rims that i had but just smaller - or basically go for something totally different that you dont see on polo's everyday - and anyways i was getting tired of seeing black polo's with identical rims each time i went to Gateway or Pavillion shopping centres - so heres what the car looks like now

the rims i decided to get with michelin 205/40/R17 tyres

side view

another angle

so TSW rims are not so exclusive - but anyways im gonna change rims at least once a year - i was gonna spend R1500 to replace the tyre that was damaged - but basically i sold the old rims and tyres for R5k and then put another R1k and added that R1500 that i would have spent and got these - they dont look as good as the old rims but hey they are different - heres a reminder of what the old rims looked like

so the only things ive got left to do are the drop and im also considering making that red bit on the front grill into black - so this is more-or-less what the car will look like when that is done

sorry the car wasnt washed when the pics were taken - it looks a lot better when its washed LOL
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

By changing the red to black on the grill your front end is going to look a bit to much like a standard polo I think.

I prefer the new rims Naughty, looks very nice.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

those TT rims RULE...except, he still got he audi rings on them...what a tool...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
naughty

Post by naughty »

Screeper wrote:By changing the red to black on the grill your front end is going to look a bit to much like a standard polo I think.
but it still has the honeycomb grille - so it will look very different to the standard car - also it has the black light reflectors - and not the chrome of the standard car - maybe i will just stick on some black sticker strips just to see how it looks - and then maybe after that i will decide depending on whether it looks nice to paint the grille or not

I prefer the new rims Naughty, looks very nice.
thanks - i actually preferred the old ones - but that doesnt mean that these new ones look bad - will use these for a while and when i get bored of the look i will sell these and get new ones - probably after two tyre changes - not gonna keep a set of rims for longer than two sets of tyres from now on

those TT rims RULE...except, he still got he audi rings on them...what a tool...
well that guy is from New Zealand ..... i found that pic on an australian VW forum - and most of those guys there keep the original badges on the rims whatever rims they put onto their cars

besides for that one small detail the guys car looks awesome - i also would have done something about the badge - ie removed the badge and made the cap fully silver again and then maybe just have stuck a VW badge on the centre - the VW badges are around R50 here - in fact im gonna look for a set of those that will fit on the TSW centre caps - the ones ive seen so far are all a bit on the biggish side and would need trimming - but you cant trim a laminated 3D effect badge
naughty

Post by naughty »

Hi guys - managed to get some VW badges to put in the centre of the rims - those look a bit better now

pic looks a bit ragged cos its only at 640x480 res - but the badge looks like the original VW centre caps that you find on most VW's

and ive done the black pinstriping to hide the red - photo doesnt do it justice - when you look at it properly the car actually looks a bit more aggressive to me - not on first look though .... mind you - you have to get used to it - and see it in real life - if i do a nice drop on the suspension it will look very very good IMHO - as ive said very aggressive

it may look closer to a standard polo in the pics - but you have to be looking at it in real life to really get the impact that it makes IMHO - so its a subtle but effective change that im very happy with - and anyways i can peel the pinstriping off i want to - and that only cost around R10 for 10 metres - and ive still got 8 metres of it left
Last edited by naughty on 08 Apr 2008, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Very nice. And naughty is right, it is very impressive when seen in person!

Although naughty, didn't you say you changed the rims because of all the **** you were having with the old ones?
Won't lowering your suspension just make the ride a bit harder? It may also lead to more or the dreaded wheel damage on these shoddy Durban roads...
naughty

Post by naughty »

jamin_za wrote:Very nice. And naughty is right, it is very impressive when seen in person!

Although naughty, didn't you say you changed the rims because of all the **** you were having with the old ones?
Won't lowering your suspension just make the ride a bit harder? It may also lead to more or the dreaded wheel damage on these shoddy Durban roads...
well im planning a very small drop - the GTI already comes dropped 15mm at the factory - removing those springs make the parts start from std ride height - so using a 35mm spring just drops it by 20mm - so that would be perfect ie it wont really affect much in reality - but it will just sit a bit more squat on the road - and not be very harsh

the new tyres are handling the shoddy roads a lot better than the lower profile of the 18"er's - so that wont be too much of a problem - if i do decide to more of a drop then id be relegating the car to an ocasional track use car instead of a daily driver - and i cant afford that right now :lol: :lol: :lol: - so yeah dropping the ride height by 2 centimetres should be okay - it wont change the suspension geometry by too much
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

naughty wrote:Image
*drooooooooool*

(I know we should'nt quote images, but, boy oh boy, that Polo is worth a second look)
naughty

Post by naughty »

well besides for the wheels thats the type of look im hoping to achieve - clean lines and neat and tidy

that pic is the best looking angle ive got of it - heres a few more of that car

the only problem with that car is the audi badges on the rims - if he some hoe removed those and got a VW badge in there (its only like 60 bucks for the set of 4 of those) then the car would look very nice - its also dropped a bit too low for my liking - and at certain angles it looks funny - but a stunning car nevertheless -
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

naughty wrote:well besides for the wheels thats the type of look im hoping to achieve - clean lines and neat and tidy
Thats exactly the reason I like it so much. Man, that thing is stunning. I would'nt change a thing on it....
naughty wrote:and at certain angles it looks funny
Dont see anything funny about it from any angle.....

But, I do agree, the Audi badges kinda throw it off a bit - but not enough to bother me.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Man that polo is teh sexi!
Kennyisalive

Post by Kennyisalive »

That looks $%^# nice when your cars is stolen I won't be me i promis :roll: :roll:
Don't Click me
Forum Points:10018000
naughty

Post by naughty »

Dont see anything funny about it from any angle.....
well you need to see how a Polo looks with a slightly offset drop ie slightly lower in the front - so it creates a wedge shape - this guy has lowered it to look kind of flat all around - so it loses some aggression from certain angles - and i think it would also serve to create a bit more downforce with a wedge shaped stance hence better handling and roadholding in the twisty bits too :wink:

even though i havent done a drop - my car does have a comparatively wedge shaped look to it compared to the standard versions ive parked it next too - funnily enough i was just comparing it to a black tdi that i was parked next too just around 2/3 hours ago in Gateway parking lot - and i want to pronounce that wedge shape a bit - so when im doing my drop gonna see if i can offset it a bit

the back just looks a bit more bulgy and squat when its actually higher than the front - kind off like a Sumo wrestler :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - but hopefully the car will be a little more elegant and graceful than one of those guys when im finished with it LOL
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

I just jumped onto the Polo brigade myself with a 2006 1.4 Polo Classic. She drives very smoothly and my pocket will look alright after visiting the luxury of our petrol stations :wink:

That Playa looks sick btw 8O
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services

PC: In need of an upgrade :)
naughty

Post by naughty »

That Playa looks sick btw
they are not called playa's anymore - the hatchback is just a polo - whereas the ones with the boot are still called classics - the playa refers to the older model which we called the polo here in SA but which was the Seat Ibiza everywhere else - only in the UK and here in SA was it called a Polo ..... but that was cos we got the Polo really late

BTW im glad everyone likes that car cos besides for the wheels and the drop and also the fact that mine is a 5 door instead of a 3 door it looks more or less identical to mine - i just need to do the drop and mine will look very very close to how that one looks

other minor change id need is a shortened radio antenna - dont really need to do it cos the one in the car now has a booster - so id probably just leave that cos it works fine as it is