my Polo GTI (wheels updated)

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
naughty

Post by naughty »

thanks for all the compliments guys
Once I'm in AUS I'll be getting a 3 door Golf 5 GTI/R and will definitely post pics. I know you're a big VW fan and will appreciate it...
for sure ..... man a 3 door will be super sweet - and all i can say it will be a mini Audi - so im waiting to see your pics ...... will be really nioce im sure :wink: - also hope that your relocation goes well
hows the sound of that thing?

well i havent got it on full gain - though ive tried it out at a high gain setting - it can really pump some bass waves - it had the car rattling like a toyota 8O - so its strong - and then i turned the gain down to prevent any form of distortion or boom

also ive got a sub volume control on the head unit - thus i can fade not only from front to back - but i can also fade the sub down - for normal listening levels its on around 2/15 and whe i demo th ecar i can turn it up to 15/15 for the bassheads - which shows its potential but without any distortion :) - which makes the whole effort totally worthwhile - just need to complete one more thing to get trhe sound exactly where i want it - which is to repalace the plastic spacers in the doors with some MDF spacers and have that solidly sealed off - that will basically get the sound to exactly where i want it - and thats to make it sound like my hi-fi at home - and its getting closer to that goal - and then its only a matter of playing around with tweeter positioing to get the imaging and soundstaging correct - and im sure id not be embarrased in any sound competition if i entered the sound quality section
can I have your Polo please?
give me 5 years with it - and if you willing to pay me the book value then - we can discuss at that time :lol: :lol: :lol:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

did you SPL test your sound and how many DB's you pushed
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

lol and here i am excited to get a frontloader and some speakers for my sting.......hahahaha OMW, but soon when i get my new car ima do it up really good...wont waste money right now on a mazda sting im gonna sell anyway...apart from the fact that its a sting hahaha
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
naughty

Post by naughty »

did you SPL test your sound and how many DB's you pushed
nope - its a sound quality car - so ive got everything turned very low down - but when i turn it up i will be doing around about 138 to 140 dbs which is not bads for just one sub

but as ive said its all turned down right now and its probably closer to 130 dbs for the moment
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

ok thats tops guy i got an XTC 5000 wat mono block class D amp and 2 12" pioneer DVC 1000w pushed 144 sedan 1 ohm stable i was runing but now i got 2 2500wat XTC dvc runing 1 ohm stable pushing 149 cant go more coz me boxes keep get pust so i need 2 save money and build a custom laminatored box . BTW what power cabling you runiing and what fuses u got etc
naughty

Post by naughty »

BTW what power cabling you runiing and what fuses u got etc
im using lanzar fuseblocks - with lanzar 4 guage power cable from front to back and some 8 guage from the distribution block to the amps - same with the ground - only the ground doesnt go to the front of the car - its actually earthed on the body very close to the distribution block

heres a pic of those blocks

thats some impressive db's that you are pushing - but yeah XTC stuff is designed to pound - so thats really hectic considering that 3 db's actually doubles your real sound pressure level - but around 10 dbs doubles your perceived levels - so yours would be seeming around twice as loud as mine - but in actual fact would really be around 4 times as loud as mine in measurement terms 8O - im sure you are placing high at SPL comps
but soon when i get my new car ima do it up really good
no reason why not dude - good luck with your new car and also sound install - let us know how it goes and dont forget to post some pics when you get it
naughty

Post by naughty »

just a few more pics of the final setup

the midrange speakers were installed in the doors but would have stopped the windows from opening fully thus some MDF spacers were fabricated to lift these up to the desired level - these look like this

and then when they are in the doors and the speakers installed - heres what it looks like

these spacers still need some work cos they lifted the speakers too high and the speaker cone begins to touch at full excursion when i pick up some high volume - so ive actually got to remove one layer of 16mm MDF and replace that with 10mm MDF which should give me 6mm of space to play around with in terms of the speaker excursion - i dont want to damage a R3000 speaker set - so its gonna take tha little bit of effort to get it right

and heres what the hatch area looks like at night

this is with two lights on the floor of the hatch - gonna add two more to the parcel shelf lid so it really looks bright - and those lights are only R45 so ill also buy a spare or two incase any of these die

heres the amprack also lit up

remember that these pics were taken with my phonecam hence they dont convey the true experience of the lighting - these things look awesome at night and you really have to see it to believe it

now i have to borrow a proper camera to take some high res pics - watch this space
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Your car is absolutely amazing! My brother would have sold his family for a car kitted out like this!
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

Tribble wrote:Your car is absolutely amazing! My brother would have sold his family for a car kitted out like this!
LOL
some great lighting in your car did you put any interior ligthing EG strobes or LED's
Last edited by fiber-optics on 26 Jun 2007, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Rish_zn

Post by Rish_zn »

Well done!! Naughty, your setup looks superb.
Im be looking forward to seeing you in sound comps more often :lol: btw ill be sure to pop by and check this baby out, and perhaps you could give me a demo....
naughty

Post by naughty »

Rish_zn wrote:Well done!! Naughty, your setup looks superb.
Im be looking forward to seeing you in sound comps more often :lol: btw ill be sure to pop by and check this baby out, and perhaps you could give me a demo....
sure - come by anytime man - just phone ahead to see if im at home - and you are welcome anytime
some great lighting in your car did you put any interior ligthing EG strobes or LED's
nah - just the boot and amprack - didnt want a mobile disco 8O 8O :lol: :lol: :lol:
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

naughty wrote:
nah - just the boot and amprack - didnt want a mobile disco 8O 8O :lol: :lol: :lol:
ok cool naughty enjoy the sound
naughty

Post by naughty »

ok cool naughty enjoy the sound
shot man ...... will do

you must show us some pics of your monster system - im sure it looks awesome as well - i love seeing pics of guys cars especially when they have good audio systems - even if they dont have custom setups - just seeing those woofers is good enough :wink: ....... also good luck in getting over 150db's :)
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

you must show us some pics of your monster system
will do but i dnt have custom setup. My setup is done all by myself eg built my own box etc and my daily sound is one 12 but i will take some pictures i als want to start my thread on how i gas flowed my mums escot head and put cosworth pistons and walves [/quote]
Last edited by fiber-optics on 03 Jul 2007, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

Hey Naughty, just had a squizz through the pics...awesome setup man! The sub looks amazing. No boot space though....i hope you don't play golf :P
naughty

Post by naughty »

Bobendren wrote:Hey Naughty, just had a squizz through the pics...awesome setup man! The sub looks amazing. No boot space though....i hope you don't play golf :P
LOL - nah - i dont play golf just yet - i may be old but not that old :P

will maybe bring it around to your place one of these days - just need to get that front spacer problem sorted out - its actually gonna damage the speaker if i play it loud - hope i havent damaged the speaker already
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

naughty wrote:
you must show us some pics of your monster system - im sure it looks awesome as well - i love seeing pics of guys cars especially when they have good audio systems - even if they dont have custom setups - just seeing those woofers is good enough :wink: ....... also good luck in getting over 150db's :)
hope you like it guyz

EDIT

some more pictures

naughty

Post by naughty »

great stuff dude - looks good - you are reminding me of when i had my starsound 5 channel amp and before that i had a 4 channel starsound as well - i think it was the same one you are using now - great amps for the money IMHO .... also i like your blue lighting

i wouldnt use starsound speakers - but the amps are nice - also that XTC amp looks deadly LOL

BTW ive got a very similar toolbox to yours :lol:
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

shot naughty for the compliment yip the star sound amp is for my mids and tweeters and 6x9's as you can see there is only one 12 because thats what i use daily to 12 is to much pressure for everyday use il go way mad and i stole that tool box from my uncle

btw naughty if i sell my class D 5000W mono block limited series xtc how much will i get for it

EDIT

this is my cabling its above 4 guage power cable and just above 2 guage custom made myself and its oxgen free

naughty

Post by naughty »

btw naughty if i sell my class D 5000W mono block limited series xtc how much will i get for it
no idea - since i havent used any XTC stuff yet - ive gotten out of the SPL game - used to enter the comps etc before - but i havent done so for a few years now so i dont keep track of equipment like i used to

but im sure you will easily get back what you paid for it

BTW that pic with the red light on the sub looks really great
fiber-optics

Post by fiber-optics »

BTW that pic with the red light on the sub looks really great
Shot man
ja i also wanted a red light inside my car but they don't sell it in durbs i checked everywhere even A1 radio so i had to setle for blue
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Looks nice.

Tell me something the amp you have there, what class is it ?

A, C D... ?

Edit I can see from the first Pic its a class D.

Reason i asked i replaced my Stupid Sansui 720 watt amp with a Jensen 1700 Class D
according to Wiki Class D also known a switching amps is new kind of idea af an amp circuit, but apparently low quilaty but quite loud.

It cuts out after about an hour of heavy usage.

Have you had any of this before ?

I wish i never got rid of the sansui
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Only one sound system i will go for in a car. Lightning Audio and lightning amp. That ***** will hammers nicely and its crystal clear. Bass is wonders
naughty

Post by naughty »

Tell me something the amp you have there, what class is it ?
who you asking - fiber optics or me ????? - cos this thread was started by me after all :lol:

if you are asking me - mine is a 6 channel class AB

and fiber has one class D

if the amp cuts out then its overheating - and you shouldnt be playing it so loud for so long - the only thing that could help you here is to buy a better quality amp the next time - basically both sansui and jensen are from the bottom of the barrel - they dont make really quality items whatever anyone wants to say - and even starsound and calibra etc will be lots better and louder as well as sturdier

class d is also very inefficient ie a lot of the power not used gets given off as heat - same goes for class AB amps too - most of the amps on the market are cass AB - class A amps are the most effecient but they will be insanely expensive for a low ampunt of power eg class A 20 watt rms amps will be around R5k plus so imagine what a class A 200watt amp will set you back

class D amplifiers are normally very limited in frequency response hence are mainly for woofers - they dont normally play above 400hz but typical woofers get low-passed at around 100hz for subsonic bass anyway
Only one sound system i will go for in a car. Lightning Audio and lightning amp. That **** will hammers nicely and its crystal clear. Bass is wonders
basically i just wanted to point out that lightning audio is the budget arm of rockford fosgate - and since i wont use rockford in a hurry here because its overpriced but not bad - the same applies to lightning audio - it costs too much for what you get IMHO - at those prices you could get higher up the range in better brands to be honest
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

naughty wrote:
Only one sound system i will go for in a car. Lightning Audio and lightning amp. That **** will hammers nicely and its crystal clear. Bass is wonders
basically i just wanted to point out that lightning audio is the budget arm of rockford fosgate - and since i wont use rockford in a hurry here because its overpriced but not bad - the same applies to lightning audio - it costs too much for what you get IMHO - at those prices you could get higher up the range in better brands to be honest
Hmm didnt know that hey, tx Naughty, still a very nice system tho.