Opinion on the PS3

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Blunt_Spoon

Opinion on the PS3

Post by Blunt_Spoon »

hey guys just curious on your opinion of the ps3 thats due for launch on the 23 march.

Im really keen for ps3 because of the Exclusive games that will come out such as Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 5....etc

just want to see what you guys think of it and is it worth the R6000..? :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

R6000 for a console. What a joke.

No offence to console guys, but in my opinion, spending R6000 on a console is ridiculous.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
sinner777

Post by sinner777 »

well, for what you are getting, it's not too bad, the features are great on the thing and at the end of the life of the ps3, I can only imagine what games will be out on it. Fair there is the whole debate on which is better, pc or console, but after gears of wat on the 360 using the unreal 3 engine, what is paid for the console is alot less than what you'd pay for a pc that can do the same, and the pc3 being more powerful(on paper), and being able to run linux etc, maybe pc's are in for a run for their money, rather than 7grand for just a gpu, you get a whole machine. The price is steep, but... there are really quite a few benefits, no installing, drivers, conflicts, minimum specs that are always really true or valid. I'll definitely be getting one, no doubt about it and in my opinion, it's going to make life hard for pc's (maybe not right in the beginning, but at some point)
"A man is not unlike a dog, I am sure that if one could reach, he too would lick himself"
Blunt_Spoon

Post by Blunt_Spoon »

Wat sinner is saying is true pc's are way to expensive in this country, paying R15000-R20000 for a pc that wil last about 4 years without the upgrading during. I think PS3 will do well and i am keen for it..People say that the games are to expensive and that buying these games will end up being able to buy a pc part, with the games being R500 or so.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

IMHO - Not worth it

Why pay over R6000 for a PS3 when you can get X360 for half that which will provide just as good an experience.

The graphics seem to be on par with each other, games for both will be good, each having it's own exlusives.

"Oh but wait..." I hear you say.
"It has a *insert majestic angelic music and lights here* Blu-ray drive!!!"

So what? Have you even see a Blue-ray disk? HD technology is still in its infancy and there are no guarantees whether Blu-ray or HD-DVD will come out on tops. They both might fail, they both might rule together in peace, but by the time that happens, there will be cheap reliable stand-alone players with better compatability than current players.

PS3 is not worth it IMHO
Blunt_Spoon

Post by Blunt_Spoon »

umm it's been told that PS3 is better it's got a cell processor and does 2 teraflops while the Xbox does 1. maybe its not a big diff but it will certanly do the job in a year or to when the games will render the most out of the PS3 gfx....

the thing about PS3 is that its built for games so the gfx will be better than pc
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

ye, i'm with Viceroy on this one, i think the XBox 360 is the winner... at half the price and with basically the same setup (plus a MUCH better control) it will be my choice

oh.. and... there's one small thing swaying me here... Forza motorsport 2 - this game is going to be the start of a whole new generation of racing games.
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Scarlet_Spider wrote:ye, i'm with Viceroy on this one, i think the XBox 360 is the winner... at half the price and with basically the same setup (plus a MUCH better control) it will be my choice

oh.. and... there's one small thing swaying me here... Forza motorsport 2 - this game is going to be the start of a whole new generation of racing games.
Yeah but if you want the HD-DVD player, and the other things that comes INCLUDED in the PS3 package, you are going to end up paying the same price.

I'm going to get the PS3, but not now, since there aren't enough great games out on it.
But by years end there will be GTA4, MGS, and other amazing games coming out, plus the PS3's version of Xbox live.
At this point in time its not really worth it imo.
Blunt_Spoon

Post by Blunt_Spoon »

yeah the price i agree is steep no doubt but you are getting a great console. I think there are only 13 games to be launched with the ps3 not sure of there titles but they should be amazing. All i really am keen for is GTA5, Resident Evil 5 and Metal Gear Solid guns of the patriots which has awsome Gfx and which is EXCLUSIVE to PS3 only.... MGS is a game that considers you a gamer or not!! :P
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Blunt_Spoon wrote:the thing about PS3 is that its built for games so the gfx will be better than pc
the thing about the X360 is that it was built for games so the gfx will be better than pc

We know that consoles are built for games, but then again so are custom gaming rigs. Each person has their preference, if that wasn't so the Wii would be a complete flop, yet it's outselling PS3's by a huge margin.

As for Cell, sure its more powerful than Xenon, but the RSX chip is less powerful than the Xenos chip, so it all kinda balances out, and from simply playing GoW, the X360 has planty graphics and processing power and games will just keep getting better on both consoles as developers manage to squeeze more out.
blunt_spoon wrote:MGS is a game that considers you a gamer or not!!
WTF :?: :?

I'm just saying that I prefer X360 because it's already got Live, the controller is better, and I feel that for overall package it's a much better deal than the PS3
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

It's really worth R6k if you want a blu-ray player and have a 1080p HDTV, otherwise I would rather have an XBOX360 or Wii as a console. Some reasons why:

1) Cell is very over hyped. It can only reach 256 GFlops under very special circumstances using its SPEs, which is hardly ever. A C2D is much, much more powerful for things like AI and general purpose processing than the PPE (main core in the cell). What point is having all that power if you can't use it? It's like putting a Bugatti Veyron engine in an Uno and taking it around a race track with biscuit tires.

2) RSX is a crippled G71 (7900GT) with a 128 bit bus. Still strong, but 7 series cards are 1.5 year old technology. An 8800GTS is at least 2 times more powerful.

3) Not many games yet. I am sure exclusive PS3 titles will look really good but anything that has been brought cross platform to the PS3 is reported to look blurry and washed out when compared to the 360. Developers say that the 360 is much easier to develop for.

4) Sony have been a bunch of arrogant morons lately. They’ve become a laughing stock. They took force feedback out of the controllers and told gamers they won't need it, just to prevent paying license fees to Immersion (who developed the tech and sued them). The EU version (which I expect we are getting) will have no EE and cost more than the US version, resulting in limited backward compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games. They left out a scaler chip so the console doesn't work properly on older HDTVs. And the list grows longer by the day...

5) Incorporating a Blu-Ray drive is a way to push Blu Ray into the market. It's to win the HD format war, not because the consumer really needs it. They could get away with games on a DVD9 disk or 2.

It's worth much more than R6k if you want a blu-ray player and a games console right now. If you just want a blu-ray player it would be better to wait. Players should drop to R3k within a year. For people who only want a console, I would never pay R6k. PS3 sales aren't doing as good as Sony hoped and you can see why. Most people are only buying them as a cheap blu-ray player and using the gaming functions as a bonus.

At the start of the console war I expected Sony to do the best. I think the Wii and XBOX360 will take most of its market share away from it this time. It will be a good contender, but the way things are going I don't think it will come out top.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

It's like putting a Bugatti Veyron engine in an Uno and taking it around a race track with biscuit tires.
LMAO :lol:

Thats the best comparison ive heard so far.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

SBSP wrote:
It's like putting a Bugatti Veyron engine in an Uno and taking it around a race track with biscuit tires.
LMAO :lol:

Thats the best comparison ive heard so far.
sounds like fun though ;) :twisted:
Squirly

Post by Squirly »

Just to add another twist.

No horse armour for PS3 owners of Oblivion.

Why?
The PS3 and XBOX 360 both has a total amount of 512MB of RAM. HOWEVER: The XBOX 360 has a unified 512MB of RAM, where as the PS3 has it split right down the middle, 256MB of RAM for processing tasks, and 256MB for textures.
Which means that downloadable content which uses lots of textures (read: mostly everything) won't run because the PS3 can't store it in it's itty bitty 256 megs of textrue RAM.

6000 bucks my bottom.
Last edited by Squirly on 09 Mar 2007, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

sinner777

Post by sinner777 »

but with XDR ram clocked at 3.2ghz, maybe the amount of ram is not as big a issue as it is made out to be
"A man is not unlike a dog, I am sure that if one could reach, he too would lick himself"
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I don't think the RAM configuration of the PS3 will put it at a distinct disadvantage capability wise. It will just make it harder to develop for. 256MB should be enough for texture memory and the GPU can still indirectly access the other 256mb XDR memory bank if I'm not mistaken. That article is biased and Bethesda has been misquoted.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Wii FTW!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

First off console prices has always been rediculous and is becoming even more rediculous. Sega MD for R500 all those years ago was insane compared to the R120 NES systems (but they were fake, real NES was a monster console). Although our currency stinks and is the main reason for the system costing so much I dont see why you'd want to go for a PS3 unless your PS2 has bit the dust.

Blue-ray, HDTV are all nice but SA isnt ready for it. Our technology has already surpassed our infrastructure making all those wants a good 10 - 15 times more expensive to the high end market.

2 plain and simply put reasons: 1) Xbox has the same games at lower prices offering the same features. 2) Unless you have HDTV, Blueray movies and need to replace your PS2 its not worth it.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.