Best car for +-200K

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
STIR

Best car for +-200K

Post by STIR »

Im almost sold on the Honda Cicic 1.8VXi but there are so many options in this price range im spoilt for choice.

can be suv hatch or sedan but must be comfortable for long journeys.

So which is the best and why?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah I'd say go for the Civic, Honda's quality ratings are pretty high nowadays...
amock

Post by amock »

Audi A3 2.0 or even the 3.0 :P . Beautiful car and awesome engine.
Don't know if it's quite in your price range but this car is awesome.

Go for a Toyota MR2 if your looking for an great budget sports car (around R160 000), my brother has one of these and it's lovely to drive (only 2 seater though).
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

amock wrote: Go for a Toyota MR2 if your looking for an great budget sports car (around R160 000), my brother has one of these and it's lovely to drive (only 2 seater though).
You are joking, right?
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

amock wrote:Audi A3 2.0 or even the 3.0 :P . Beautiful car and awesome engine.
Don't know if it's quite in your price range but this car is awesome.
What have you been smoking? Since when does the A3 come in a 3.0 model?

You get:

2.0 FSi
2.0 T-FSi
2.0TDi
3.2 quattro
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Best car for +-200K

Post by Tribble »

STIR wrote:Im almost sold on the Honda Cicic 1.8VXi but there are so many options in this price range im spoilt for choice.

can be suv hatch or sedan but must be comfortable for long journeys.

So which is the best and why?
I bought the Scenic II. It is wonderful on long journeys and has lots of leg room - even in the back. Hubby is over 6ft and he has lots of space. Not too heavy on petrol either. It also has the power and over takes most other vehicles :twisted:
STIR

Post by STIR »

ryanrich wrote:Yeah I'd say go for the Civic, Honda's quality ratings are pretty high nowadays...
That and a really good maintenance plan make it seem like a sweet deal.

Go for a Toyota MR2 if your looking for an great budget sports car (around R160 000), my brother has one of these and it's lovely to drive (only 2 seater though).
Must be 4 seat min (company regulation)
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

Spend 20K more and you can get yourself the Accord. I got a discount of 20K on mine because the 2007 spec models are due to be released in Q3 this year. Sure you will lose some value due to the new model being released, but you will be getting more car for only 20K more. Bought mine a month ago and all I can say is that I'm a Honda convert, so bad that I'm going to sell my Kawasaki bike and get a Honda.

I presume that you are bying new if you are looking at Maintenance plans. Thats waht drew me to Honda. I first had a look at the VW Jetta5 but they only came with a 3year/60K plan. I drive 18K a year so this would be useless.
STIR

Post by STIR »

[/quote]I bought the Scenic II. It is wonderful on long journeys and has lots of leg room - even in the back. Hubby is over 6ft and he has lots of space. Not too heavy on petrol either. It also has the power and over takes most other vehicles :twisted:[/quote]

Nice car but ive heard that the re-sale price is not so good?
SquattingDog
Spend 20K more and you can get yourself the Accord. I got a discount of 20K on mine because the 2007 spec models are due to be released in Q3 this year. Sure you will lose some value due to the new model being released, but you will be getting more car for only 20K more. Bought mine a month ago and all I can say is that I'm a Honda convert, so bad that I'm going to sell my Kawasaki bike and get a Honda.

I presume that you are bying new if you are looking at Maintenance plans. Thats waht drew me to Honda. I first had a look at the VW Jetta5 but they only came with a 3year/60K plan. I drive 18K a year so this would be useless.
Just checked the specs on the Accord, it is a lot more car for 20 grand more. Was it a standard Honda discount or for that specific dealership only?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

STIR wrote: Nice car but ive heard that the re-sale price is not so good?
Dunno - I keep mine forever. We got a great cash discount though! 9.6%.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Tribble wrote:I bought the Scenic II. It is wonderful on long journeys and has lots of leg room - even in the back. Hubby is over 6ft and he has lots of space. Not too heavy on petrol either. It also has the power and over takes most other vehicles :twisted:
Just a pity that it's so ugly.
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

STIR wrote:
I bought the Scenic II. It is wonderful on long journeys and has lots of leg room - even in the back. Hubby is over 6ft and he has lots of space. Not too heavy on petrol either. It also has the power and over takes most other vehicles :twisted:[/quote]

SquattingDog

Just checked the specs on the Accord, it is a lot more car for 20 grand more. Was it a standard Honda discount or for that specific dealership only?[/quote]

Got mine from Honda Umlanga in DBN, but I'm sure if you tell your dealership that if they don't give you that discount then you will drive down to DBN and buy it there.

Here is hat I got.

Service plan +-R7500

Moer & Gryp aka Smash&Grap +-R1700 told the agent that I want this for free or I walk out, so I got it for free.

Pap&Piel aka RunFlat +-R1000

Total Price was R227500, the guys showed my that he only made like R1500 on the sale, so he got nothing, but because he was willing to sacrifice so much for such a great car I'm now a Honda man for life and I'm in the process of converting my family as well. Brother is going to buy the Jazz for his wife.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Kronos wrote: Just a pity that it's so ugly.
There are two things you NEVER insult. One is a person's mate! Another is his/her CAR!!!!!!!! :twisted: Does have a strange shape but I like it.
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

Tribble wrote:
There are two things you NEVER insult. One is a person's mate! Another is his/her CAR!!!!!!!! :twisted: Does have a strange shape but I like it.
You know that they say you can tell alot about a person if you see what he drives, so I presume you had some cosmetic surgery just like your car... :wink: :lol: :twisted:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

SquattingDog wrote:
Tribble wrote:
You know that they say you can tell alot about a person if you see what he drives, so I presume you had some cosmetic surgery just like your car... :wink: :lol: :twisted:
You are possitively EVIL!!! Not had any work YET! Never know as age takes its toll..... Cetrain parts can always use improving :twisted:
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

Tribble wrote:
SquattingDog wrote:
Tribble wrote:
You are possitively EVIL!!! Not had any work YET! Never know as age takes its toll..... Cetrain parts can always use improving :twisted:
Ditto, the same goes for us men I presume.

STIR, just phone your dealership and pull as hard as you can on the dealers arm, always remeber that you are the client, they will do anything in their powers just to make a small profit. Any profit is better than none.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I must say I do like the Honda Accord, good car for the money and much better than the Civic in terms of equipment levels I think...
STIR

Post by STIR »

SquattingDog wrote:
STIR wrote:
I bought the Scenic II. It is wonderful on long journeys and has lots of leg room - even in the back. Hubby is over 6ft and he has lots of space. Not too heavy on petrol either. It also has the power and over takes most other vehicles :twisted:
SquattingDog

Just checked the specs on the Accord, it is a lot more car for 20 grand more. Was it a standard Honda discount or for that specific dealership only?[/quote]

Got mine from Honda Umlanga in DBN, but I'm sure if you tell your dealership that if they don't give you that discount then you will drive down to DBN and buy it there.

Here is hat I got.

Service plan +-R7500

Moer & Gryp aka Smash&Grap +-R1700 told the agent that I want this for free or I walk out, so I got it for free.

Pap&Piel aka RunFlat +-R1000

Total Price was R227500, the guys showed my that he only made like R1500 on the sale, so he got nothing, but because he was willing to sacrifice so much for such a great car I'm now a Honda man for life and I'm in the process of converting my family as well. Brother is going to buy the Jazz for his wife.[/quote]

Nice deal! if I go with the accord ill insist on the same deal or fly down to durbs and buy it there. great advise, thanks man.
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

Hope you get the same deal. I went for the Silver with Gunmetal mags, pm me your email and I'll send you some pics.
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

Thxs to ryanrich for the pic url.

This i the new 2007 Honda Accord Coupe, the sedan should have similair lines and looks. Still like the box shape and sharp edges of the current model.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

WOW that is a hot looking cab !!
Which quarter is it getting realeased ?
Temporary Absence
Moses

Post by Moses »

The Audi A5 is looking sweet - although a bit above R200k, I would imagine.
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

Anthropoid wrote:WOW that is a hot looking cab !!
Which quarter is it getting realeased ?
Q3 it think. Not sure if the coupe will make it's way to SA though. There is no official word from Honda on the new Accord Sedan, they are very hush, hush about it, for good reasons I hope.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Ag flip... dit is so n mooi kar
Temporary Absence
Bukzini

Post by Bukzini »

that cash you can prolly get a E39 BMW M5 prolly 2000 or something