More NGE Live Action News !!! (Concept Art)

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

More NGE Live Action News !!! (Concept Art)

Post by larch »

"ADV also made several confirmations during the panel. The biggest and most exciting of them all was that the Live Action Evangelion Movie is confirmed and is going through pre-production."
Source: http://www.krazygamers.com/event/article/614.html

Here are some notes in brief from the panel in regards to the project:

* Matt Greenfield says that Weta approached ADV about approaching Gainax to do a live action Eva movie.
* Three "A List" directors that are also fans of Evangelion approached ADV about the project, not the other way around.
* Greenfield talks about getting their pitch package together and that "the first thing is Robin Williams talking about Evangelion", who is apparently a big Evangelion fan, and the appearance of the Mass Production Eva toy in One Hour Photo is entirely his doing.
* Celebrities have been inquiring directly to ADV about being involved in Live Action Evangelion.
* The director to be signed will most likely be the first to have room in their schedule.
* Greenfield acknowledges the uncertainty of the final product due to the nature of film making being driven by the director.
* The slug script was written by a well known writer who has written several well known sci-fi movies. The slug script will be re-written to fit the tastes and vision of the director selected.
* Greenfield acknowledges that the children will most likely be age appropriate. The kids will be picked and then the adults will be cast to work well with the children.
* Tiffany Grant asserts that Weta gets 20 times more email about Evangelion than Lord of the Rings.
* Greenfield says a director will most likely be signed by the end of the year.
* Greenfiled says they don't want to make it for profit, but because they want to do it, and they want to do it right, and do it justice in the same way that Lord of the Rings did.

Source: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0524950783

Here is some early WETA concept art:

Rayne

Post by Rayne »

OMFG!

Asuka's a granny! 8O

/ jk

That poster's bogus.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:OMFG!

Asuka's a granny! 8O

/ jk

That poster's bogus.
Not really its a concept poster that got scrapped ill post some pictures of the plug suits
Mortal_Wombat

Post by Mortal_Wombat »

I bet they Americanize it.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Mortal_Wombat wrote:I bet they Americanize it.
The anime fanatics proverbial fear.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
larch

Post by larch »

Americanize ? please describe this new term too me i have been watching anime for a couple of years now and i never heard of this "Americanize"
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Well after watching those geeks chat for 25mins I'm preparing myself for the worst. :?
Mortal_Wombat

Post by Mortal_Wombat »

larch wrote:Americanize ? please describe this new term too me i have been watching anime for a couple of years now and i never heard of this "Americanize"
What I mean is Evangelion is Japanese, set in Japan with Japanese characters etc. Americanizing it would have it take place in America with American characters. It happens a lot in movies and so on. Basically change the story so it's an American who saves the day. The same things gonna happen with the Battle Royale remake.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

What he basically said is that Hollywood is the Microsoft of the movie industry ;-)
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Welll. ... they say themselves that:
The slug script will be re-written to fit the tastes and vision of the director selected.
Sooo... if they choose an American director... and he is not really into preserving the Japanese feel to the anime ?
Then we stuffed I am sorry. I hate it when they put a English soundtrack in there, I'd much rather watch the subtitles fly by -
(I know some of you'l say "You miss everything then")
BUT - I watch anime series' atleast twice before I let it go.
*edit*
Note: Atleast does not mean I don't watch it more times
Temporary Absence
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Sooo... if they choose an American director... and he is not really into preserving the Japanese feel to the anime ?
Three "A List" directors that are also fans of Evangelion approached ADV about the project, not the other way around
If they are fans, they would want to preserve it...but then again, knowing uncle sam, an american aways saves the world.

PS. I love it when no mention of usa is made in an anime!
ichigo

Post by ichigo »

PS. I love it when no mention of usa is made in an anime!
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT!!!!!!!
What you see is what you want to see, but what you do see you can\'t

Baka Wa Shinanakya Naoranai
larch

Post by larch »

Mortal_Wombat wrote:
larch wrote:Americanize ? please describe this new term too me i have been watching anime for a couple of years now and i never heard of this "Americanize"
What I mean is Evangelion is Japanese, set in Japan with Japanese characters etc. Americanizing it would have it take place in America with American characters. It happens a lot in movies and so on. Basically change the story so it's an American who saves the day. The same things gonna happen with the Battle Royale remake.

Okay so my sarcasm missile seems to have missed its mark :D

Are we discussing Anime or Live Actions ? cause those are 2 totally different genres its impossible to make a Live Action based on a anime or manga and stay 100% true to it.The style will be diluted, the story will be changed and the message of the original will be made more palatable that said I will see it, I will support it and I will buy some crappy merchandise as soon as it becomes available.Thats How it works u really thing NGE with it subject matter will be accepted by audiences around the world ?

Lets take "Final Fantasy: Spirit Within" i though it was a awesome movie but it flopped at the box office cause people had trouble understanding the concept of mother earth and earth being "alive" esp religious people will go into a flat spin if they see the plot behind the EVA series.

And Americanize ? there is no such thing in the anime world and there never was and i have been watching anime for well over 13 years now. Sure it gets dubbed and some name changes take place but that doesnt make it bad.

Dubbing standards these days is very high quality indeed some people who preform on stage now does voice acting for anime !!!!.Take the Dubs of Trigun and Cowboy Bebop and Golden Boy they were awesome not even the Japanese version come close to it. And they don't cut or censor anime any more like in the old days they usually release a cut and uncut version

And the whole excuse that "its made in japan so it should be watched in Japanese" is horse poo thats only valid if u can speak and understand fluent japanese and i don't know allot of people who can do that i know about 50% of the language and i can write even less and thats after more then a couple of years of learning it.

The same goes for "this voice doesn't fit with this character" if u cant understand what they are saying and how they pronounce the words then u pretty much stuck.Lets take Naruto and DBZ both main characters Japanese voices actors where female.

Then u get people who do understand but then while u watching anime they take apart the subs and ***** and moan about how it doesn't exactly follow the convo and how it sucks and that annoys the living ***** out of me.So in the end they don't enjoy the anime at all and give the person trying to watch a embolism and that just spoils everything for me.

And yes America does play a big part in anime cause they are a big part of japans history they where nuked by the Americans after all.

And lots of countries get mentioned in anime even South Africa gets mentioned in Black Lagoon and Getbackers and even in Full Metal Panic hell even hitler made a guest appearance in the Full Metal Alchemist.

I guess its a matter of personal taste.

./ END OF FANBOY RANT
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

larch wrote: Dubbing standards these days is very high quality indeed some people who preform on stage now does voice acting for anime !!!!.Take the Dubs of Trigun and Cowboy Bebop and Golden Boy they were awesome not even the Japanese version come close to it. And they don't cut or censor anime any more like in the old days they usually release a cut and uncut version
So you say that the dubs are better in these titles?
I've only watched Golden Boy so far and the dubs were definitely better. STUDY!

That was one longa$$ post. 8O
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Mortal_Wombat

Post by Mortal_Wombat »

larch wrote:Okay so my sarcasm missile seems to have missed its mark
Oh, lol, sorry I guess.
Anyway, I still don't have too high hopes for the live action NGE. I really don't think they'll be able to pull it off "properly". But I have been wrong before, so I won't judge to prematurely so I'll go see it without any expectations and with an open minds when it comes out.

About dubbing. Yes sometimes anime's have very good dubs. Like you said Cowboy Bebop has an exceptional dub (I watched the Jap version first though). I still prefer watching anime in Japanese though, because most dubs are crap. But like for example, my brother doesn't really like anime at all, but I've watched a couple of animes in English with him, like Hellsing and FLCL. So some animes are enjoyable in English, but even though I don't speak Japanese (yet anyway) I still prefer watching anime subbed.
If I had the choice between watching an anime in the original Japanese with subs and in English with excellent dubbing, I'd still choose the subbed one. Oh and I have to disagree with you about the Trigun dub, I thought it was terrible.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Hellsing's dub is pathetic.

Chrno has a good dub as well.

Anyways I think even if they do mess up the plot it will still be a hit simply due to the large scale of this film.

The budget's bigger than that of the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy and like I mentioned before, the Angels and Eva's are enormous creatures and if done right the special effects showcasing battles should be spectacular.
Mortal_Wombat

Post by Mortal_Wombat »

Exactly. It has a huge budget and if it's done right it could be amazing. We'll have to wait and see. I'm hoping someone like James Cameron or Ridley Scott directs.
Rayne wrote:Hellsing's dub is pathetic
I didn't think it was that bad. Come on, you gotta love Crispin Freemans' voice.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Hated it.

Hated Elfen Lied's as well.

Couldn't believe they ****ed up my favorite show.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Hellsing's was ****ed up.
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

The NGE live action should be set in japan with japanese actors while remaining releatively true to the story. That would be great, but they won't do that and I think we're gonna have another Street Fighter live action on our hands. There's so much hype around this live action that I feel sorry for the people who are making it. The anime community is gonna crucify them unless by some miracle, they do it perfectly. They better do it properly. :evil:
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

I'm not gonna keep my fingers crossed. Made for americans by americans :-(

I wonder if they will generate a totally new storyline away from the angels.
They might as well do a trilogy due to the sheer scale.
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

SoulBlade wrote:I'm not gonna keep my fingers crossed. Made for americans by americans :-(
I agree. I'm not even giving this one much of a chance. A large part of me says it's gonna be a screw up. I can't imagine seeing an american kid pretending to be Shinji...if he is a kid at all. I don't think I'm gonna buy any of it, but I guess we can only wait and see. It might be surprising.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

I am looking forward to the EVA fights and of course seeing Asuka and Rei in those oh-so-tight suits :p
Mortal_Wombat

Post by Mortal_Wombat »

cYcLIc wrote:I can't imagine seeing an american kid pretending to be Shinji...if he is a kid at all.
Lol, I've read some rumors on the web that everyone wants that kid who played Harry Potter to be Shinji.
Last edited by Mortal_Wombat on 21 Feb 2007, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

I'll ****ing quit anime if that happens.

Edit: You don't know how much that just annoyed me. He's so annoying. It won't happen.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64