Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles (1st South African Review)

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles (1st South African Review)

Post by larch »

I can still rember back in 1982 when I 1st watched Robotech as a snot nose little kid, I used to daydream about being a Cyclone/Veritechs pilot and I would never miss an episode after school I would be nailed in front of the TV at the exact same time on SA-TV2. I've grown up being fascinated by Robotech. I loved everything about it and wished I could be living in that world. I suppose that's what all kids do at some point in time those where the days indeed.

And for those who aren't Robtech fanboy like myself let me give u a short description of the robotech world:

Robotech is an 85-episode animated science fiction television series about three successive extraterrestrial invasions of Earth. Within the context of the show, "Robotech" refers to robotechnology, the advances in science and technology that came about from studying an alien starship that crashed on a South Pacific island. Robotechnology made possible the creation of giant robotic mecha, or fighting machines, many of which were capable of transforming into vehicles (especially fighter planes) for greater battlefield mobility.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech_%28anime%29

Enter 2007 and the continuation of the Robotech Saga "Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles".The main plot revolves around the Robotech Expeditionary Force's search for the missing Admiral Hunter and the SDF3 but there are reports of a new adversary behind the scenes.

The story starts with the invasion of Earth by the Expeditionary forces which launch an attack on the Invid. However it is presented form the point of view of the Expeditionary force and not the earth based resistance as in the Anime series.

The human forces are bolstered with new technology given to them by a cyborg alien race befriended by the forces of Admiral Hunter. The technology is referred to as "Shadow Technology". (I will stop here and not spoil the rest of the Movie for those who still need to watch it.)

Let me start of 1st and say this is 88 minutes of extreme AWESOMENESS if u were a Robotech fanboy before this will just make your day but be warned u will need a pair of new underwear during or after watching the Movie. The Epic fight scenes that was originally hand animated is now done in gloriously CG, same with the Cyclone/Veritechs (hence the new pair of underwear)

The whole gang from the orginal series makes it into the new movie including Rick Hunter/Scott Bernard/The Regess/Marlene and allot of the old cast reprises there old voice acting roles:

* Richard Epcar - Vince Grant (Reprising his role from Robotech II:The Sentinels)
* Eddie Frierson - Louis Nichols
* Mark Hamill - Commander Taylor
* Alexandra Kenworthy - The Regis (Reprising her role from Robotech and Robotech II:The Sentinels)
* Yuri Lowenthal - Marcus
* Melanie MacQueen - Marlene (Reprising her role from Robotech)
* Chase Masterson - Janice
* Edie Mirman - Maia Sterling
* Iona Morris - Jean Grant
* Tony Oliver - Admiral Rick Hunter (Reprising his role from Robotech and Robotech II:The Sentinels)
* Arthur Santiago - Alex Romero
* Greg Snegoff - Scott Bernard (Reprising his role from Robotech)
* Michael Sorich - Sparks (Reprising his role from Robotech)
* Kari Wahlgren - Ariel
* Dan Woren - General Reinhardt

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443771/

They have also redone the classic soundtrack from the original series and remastered it. The live musical score was composed by Scott Glasgow and performed by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. Chase Masterson is singing some of the parts for her robotic character Janice. Glasgow confirmed that Melissa Kaplan, the lead singer of the band Universal Hall Pass, has vocalized some of the background music.

If u aren't a big Robotech fan but u are looking for an anime that will keep u entertained for the whole sum of its 88 minutes then this is a show for u. And if u are a Robotech fanboy like me prepare a new clean pair of underwear.

Takumi

Post by Takumi »

oh my word.. where can i find this movie???
larch

Post by larch »

Bought it from Animeworx for R190
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles (1st South African Revie

Post by Hman »

larch wrote:I can still rember back in 1982 when I 1st watched Robotech as a snot nose little kid,
How old are you?

Just curious.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
larch

Post by larch »

28 this year :P
Hman

Post by Hman »

Ok, 4 years older than me. :D

larch

Post by larch »

Hman wrote:Ok, 4 years older than me. :D
Dude i remember watching all the old shows like Brakenjan, Moo Min, Brave Star, Bionic Six, Heidi, Kimba the white lion, Samurai Pizza Cats, Thunder Cats
Hman

Post by Hman »

Haha, Moo Min was weird.

Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

larch wrote:
Hman wrote:Ok, 4 years older than me. :D
Dude i remember watching all the old shows like Brakenjan, Moo Min, Brave Star, Bionic Six, Heidi, Kimba the white lion, Samurai Pizza Cats, Thunder Cats
samurai pizza cats and bravestar was bomb!

yeah i remember securing the remote to watch robotech in the afternoons, was teh awesomeness. I'm a huge fan as well, really loved watching macross zero with the veratechs in high detail.

from this moment on it's a mission objective to find shadow chronicles. I saw previews but i had no idea that it's been released.

tnx for the heads up.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Ah yes......the Golden Days of TV. :)

:? Odd....I seem to remember watching Robotech on what was then today's equivalent of SABC3 [tv1?] from about 1986 onwards....I must have been seeing a rebroadcast. O enjoyed it very much-watched more for the mechs than for the story or character though.

Thanks for the link, Larch.....think I might get it for myself sometime.
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

it was rebroadcasted in the early 90's as well. Mechs was the main thing that attracted me to watch the first episode.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

And if u are a Robotech fanboy like me prepare a new clean pair of underwear.
so you're saying it's good then
pofadder

Post by pofadder »

larch wrote:Dude i remember watching all the old shows like Brakenjan, Moo Min, Brave Star, Bionic Six, Heidi, Kimba the white lion, Samurai Pizza Cats, Thunder Cats
I also remember watching those. And I've been searching for some of those old flicks, yet, I can't seem to find Bionic Six anywhere. Any idea where one could find it?
[Q8200│Asus mobo│4Gb Kingmax Ram│BFG 8800GT Sli│Corsair 750W PSU│X-Fi Sound│Samsung 22 inch]
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

i loved Swat Cats as well, the 2 felines in the tomcat.
Abmis

Post by Abmis »

Larch, since you were born in 1979 surely you couldnt have gone to school in 1982? I'm also of the opinion the Robotech aired in 1986 onwards since that's when I went to varsity so I never got to see it on TV.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

1982? That mean I was 2 when I watched it. I remember most of series 1.
I got a funny feelling it was aired round about 1986.

But nice find. Will check link out later.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
larch

Post by larch »

its was aired in 1982 in America only reached us a year or so later
larch

Post by larch »

Looky what i downloaded:

Folder Information: (Folder Name: F:\Anime (Complete)\Anime Not Writen to DVD\Robotech [Mkv]\Robotech - The Macross Saga\ ¤ Folder Size: 7.91GB ¤ Files In Folder: 36 ¤ Sub-Directories In Folder: 0 ¤ Largest File: Robotech - 28.Mkv ¤ Largest File Size: 239.41MB)

Folder Information: (Folder Name: F:\Anime (Complete)\Anime Not Writen to DVD\Robotech [Mkv]\Robotech - The Robotech Masters\ ¤ Folder Size: 5.31GB ¤ Files In Folder: 24 ¤ Sub-Directories In Folder: 0 ¤ Largest File: Robotech - 37.mkv ¤ Largest File Size: 236.19MB)

Folder Information: (Folder Name: F:\Anime (Complete)\Anime Not Writen to DVD\Robotech [Mkv]\Robotech - The New Generation\ ¤ Folder Size: 5.18GB ¤ Files In Folder: 25 ¤ Sub-Directories In Folder: 0 ¤ Largest File: Robotech - 64.mkv ¤ Largest File Size: 217.05MB)

All three seasons of the old robotech digitally remastered :twisted: