White Day

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

White Day

Post by larch »

For us in South Africa we celebrate on the 14th of February, St. Valentine's Day and in Japanese culture one month later on the 14th of March White Day. In Japan St. Valentine's Day was the day only the women gave presents which it is meant to be generally chocolates to men. Where as White Day is meant to be the other way round.

Anime that I've seen with White Day would be Fruits Basket and XXXholic. But Japan isn't the only place that celebrates this. Also Korea does and Hong Kong is starting to be fond of the holiday too. Candies are the preferred gift in South Korea.

Some believe that White Day started by a marshmallow manufacturing company [in 1960s]. Originally White Day was called Marshmallow Day, the name White Day was given by the white marshmallows.

Today, men give gifts of all sorts from white to non-white gift from chocolates to Flowers and jewelry included but to the women who gave them a gift on St. Valentine's. So who will be your White Day sweet heart;)

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I have a nagging suspicion that a holiday called "White Day" will not catch on in South Africa.

I dont know why tho... just call it a hunch :?
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Too many "black days" maybe? :lol: :lol: But i kind of get the same feeling jamin!

Surely this could have been posted in the Japanese Culture thread?