Guitar corner

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
SBSP

Guitar corner

Post by SBSP »

Maybe its just me.

After hearing Jan blom play a guitar at blue moon in nelspruid
i was inspired to play my guitar with more efford, then a string snapped.

I'm not getting any where ive tried books, and tabsof the net.

I need tips what can i do to learn quicker.

By learning tabs just doesnt teach you any thing.

Ive got an SX guitar elcheapo piece of crap.

The strings cut like hell, maybe i need a new guitar, any 1 know where i can buy
a Ibanez for cheapish or any one selling a guitar?
Last edited by SBSP on 07 Dec 2006, 16:16, edited 4 times in total.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I might be selling an Epiphone. Ibanez cheapies suck bottom. Rather look at cort.
What the major thing you need is, is INSPIRATION :D I am dead serious. Find something you love. Jam it till people want to break your fingers. Also make sure its too difficult for you.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

I34z1k wrote:I might be selling an Epiphone. Ibanez cheapies suck bottom. Rather look at cort.
What the major thing you need is, is INSPIRATION :D I am dead serious. Find something you love. Jam it till people want to break your fingers. Also make sure its too difficult for you.
good advice... i agree with everything you said I34z1k.

Ja, maybe look at the current cort Zenox series line up - i recommended one a short while ago for a friend of mine at work and i am super impressed with the quality of the guitar and it was only R1800... and the pickups are both coil tapped!

most importantly though... spend some time in the music shop and find out what is comfortable for you... even if you cant play that well... it will be time while spent
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Haven't seen you in a while SS :) DUDE!! I got a tele!!! I never expected it would be for me, but I fell in love with the sound :)

I saw a man that had been playing for 40 years that was going to trade any1 of his guitars for a "cheapish" Ibanez. Bare minimum. No Floyd no nothing. Every guitar has its own character or personality so check em all.

BTW Passion makes alot of your sound :) :wink:
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

well all i can say is my guitar sucks a$$

i think it has very bad frets, and i dont thing you can really do something about it.

Sorry i'm not sure what do you call those big square pickups?

have you seen the practice songs of metallica st anger video's
Last edited by SBSP on 07 Dec 2006, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

I34z1k wrote:I might be selling an Epiphone. Ibanez cheapies suck bottom. Rather look at cort.
INSPIRATION makes me play a bit better thanks for the advice man
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Lol. Not a metallica fan :P Humbuckers. Aren't always better than single coils although some people think so.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

Hey man,

ja agreed... i am about to order myself an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus after having played one for a little while, but i have told the shop that even if i order it, if it doesn't feel right then i'll just order another... even guitars of the same model differ... and i wont take something home until its right or close enough to being right - so that with a little adjustment it will be nice.

i have made the mistake before...

pic of my soon to be new guitar

------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My Guitar Sucks bigtime

Post by Y0da »

SBSP wrote:Maybe its just me.

After hearing Jan blom play a guitar at blue moon in nelspruid
i was inspired to play my guitar with more efford, then a string snapped.

I'm not getting any where ive tried books, and tabsof the net.

I need tips what can i do to learn quicker.

By learning tabs just doesnt teach you any thing.

Ive got an SX guitar elcheapo piece of crap.

The strings cut like hell, maybe i need a new guitar, any 1 know where i can buy
a Ibanez for cheapish or any one selling a guitar?
When it comes to musical instruments there are no shortcuts. Mastering an instrument takes practise, dedication and commitment if you want to be any good. Practising tabs might seem useless but it lays the foundation you need to become a proficient guitarist. You really need a love for music and the instrument you wish to play if you hope to become a good musician.

When I started on the guitar, I practised so much my fingers got blisters on them. So I would take a break until my fingers healed and then practise again. Practise, practise, practice...;)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Scarlet_Spider wrote:Hey man,

ja agreed... i am about to order myself an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus after having played one for a little while, but i have told the shop that even if i order it, if it doesn't feel right then i'll just order another... even guitars of the same model differ... and i wont take something home until its right or close enough to being right - so that with a little adjustment it will be nice.

i have made the mistake before...

pic of my soon to be new guitar

I have a Epi LP classic and dam it's nice. Took the pickguard of just for smeksiness :)

But I might have to sell it now :( need cash.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I cant give to much advice on guitars as I am a bassist. Ibanez is a great guitar (the high end stuff only though :() I have a Ibanez Ergodyn - had it for about 4 years now and all I can say is WOW!!.

Tabs are great to develop your technique, but if you are wanting to learn music there is a little bit more effort need. Find yourself a good theory book. The UNISA grade 1 - 3 books are great for new comers. And play till you have no friends :D
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Ibanez has some wicked basses.
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Fender is also a very nice brand. Especially the Newporter if you are an accoustic guitarist. ;)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Fender Teles FTW!! :D W000t
Mow

Post by Mow »

I have a Epi LP classic and dam it's nice. Took the pickguard of just for smeksiness :)

How much you want for it ?
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Dude dont sell it cuz you need cash, that like selling ur soul
Last edited by SBSP on 01 Dec 2006, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

SirMow wrote:

How much you want for it ?
Not really sure. :P
SBSP wrote:Dude dont sell it cuz you need cash, that like selling ur sole
Soles are smelly. But my soul is in my Fender :) I might sell it, might not.
Mow

Post by Mow »

@SBSP Look dude , what kind of music you into ?

What do you like playing.

Also its fact that nasty guitars can only take you that far , a better quality instrument will sound and play better and thus encourage you to play more.

Yoda's right its just a matter of practice. But equipment is important.

I landed this korean made fender for a really good price and its the best guitar ive ever played ... ( R35000 gibsons and some custom shop Fenders excluded)

Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

SirMow wrote:@SBSP Look dude , what kind of music you into ?

What do you like playing.

Also its fact that nasty guitars can only take you that far , a better quality instrument will sound and play better and thus encourage you to play more.

Yoda's right its just a matter of practice. But equipment is important.

I landed this korean made fender for a really good price and its the best guitar ive ever played ... ( R35000 gibsons and some custom shop Fenders excluded)

Distortion is what attracts me, Dunno why, all my friends think i'm the devil cuz of the music i like.

Rammstein, Coal chamber, Korn ect my ultimate fav song is

Gasoline from Seether(Saron Gas) Man that just rocks.
When i listen to it i get goose bumps all over. To think that a lil band from
SA became that famous,
I'm a big Seether Fan. Anyway Hard Rock Distortion is what i wana play.

Has any of you seen Jan blom play a guitar before?
Hes good!
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Well if you like distortion, you need a humbucker. Try get a single / humbucker setup. Can get nice sounds from it. And rather buy a good small amp then a ****** big one.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Ive got a Little 10 WATTS(RMS) amp it does well for what it is, bought it for 500
bucks, i thin the speaker size is about 8"es
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I have a 60watt Roland Cube. Rather go small and good then big and ****** :D
PHR33K

Post by PHR33K »

roland cubes are ghetto man... but theyre awesome

what ever you do.. NEVER BUY A MARSHAL MG AMP!!!!!!! gah, I *HATE* their sound, rather save up and buy a nice amp.

Sounds like your string action is too high, even crap guitars, if set up right, can play good - but nothing beats a well made guitar. I have an american made fat-strat and a gibson les paul and theyre awesome :D
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

PHR33K wrote:roland cubes are ghetto man... but theyre awesome

what ever you do.. NEVER BUY A MARSHAL MG AMP!!!!!!! gah, I *HATE* their sound, rather save up and buy a nice amp.

Sounds like your string action is too high, even crap guitars, if set up right, can play good - but nothing beats a well made guitar. I have an american made fat-strat and a gibson les paul and theyre awesome :D
8O How long have you been playing guitar?...

If you must know, people raise their action to get a better sound out of their guitar, in sacrifice of playability. But agreed. Cubes are simple but amazing and Marshall FTL!
Mow

Post by Mow »

Dude , You gotta go Les-Paul or simalar...
Seether use Schetcher guitars and marshall all valve stacks, but these are pretty expensive.

The epiphone les-Paul standard is about R3300 and its awesome for the price, The mahogany wood is great for the darker stuff your playing.

Also consider upgrading your amp , you cant play distartion metal and hard rock without feeling your spine tremble. ( but take it slow )

Consider the Cube60 its really versatile , Add a boss sd-1 overdrive pedal and you should get pretty close to Seether sound.

Ive got a 100watt fender solid-state FM212 for sale but i don't think thats what your looking for ...

I34z1k , how much did you get your Cube60 for , Marshall Music is R4200 and Music connection is R2800.

Im looking to buy a Cube60 for a practice amp , My laney stack is a little loud for the bedroom and as far as solid state ( Blues,Rock) goes the cube60 is King.