UEFA Champions League 06 - 07

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
UndaGrad

UEFA Champions League 06 - 07

Post by UndaGrad »

Great games last night. Maybe it's about time this thread was started...

Most interesting result of all. Arsenal lost to CSKA, with Daniel Carvalho scoring the only goal.

Here's a summary of the games, from FIFA.com:
Group E: Lyon and Real Madrid each managed comfortable away wins and look odds on to make it through to the next stage. The five-time French champions never looked in any danger in Kiev, where home team Dynamo fell to their third consecutive defeat (0-3). Brazilian international Juninho opened the scoring with a free-kick from out wide, before Swedish midfielder Kim Kallstrom waltzed his way through the porous Ukrainian defence (which has now leaked 12 goals in three matches) to double the advantage before half-time. A bullet of a header from Florent Malouda just after the break was the icing on the cake in Lyon's second away win of the campaign.
Scottish eyes are smiling
Real put their 1-0 defeat to Getafe in La Liga last Sunday behind them with a convincing 4-1 win away to Steaua Bucharest, who have let in seven goals in their two home games so far. Raul notched his third of the season in this competition, proving that he is getting back to something like his best form. Sergio Ramos, Robinho and Ruud van Nistelrooij were also among the goals.

Manchester United also made it three from three, thrashing UEFA Champions League debutants FC Copenhagen 3-0. The Premier League's current pace-setters strolled to victory thanks to goals from Paul Scholes, John O'Shea and England international Kieran Richardson, a mere seven minutes after he had come on as a substitute. Celtic made it a British one-two atop Group F, beating Benfica - their closest rivals for the second qualifying spot - 3-0. Scotland striker Kenny Miller was again the man of the moment, bagging a brace. Benfica now find themselves five points adrift of their Glasgow rivals, and the men from Lisbon still have to travel to Old Trafford.

Kaka was the hero for Milan on Tuesday night.
(AFP)
JOHN THYS
CSKA back in the hunt
In Group G, last year's runners-up Arsenal slipped to their first defeat in two months, going down 1-0 in Moscow to a CSKA team that is proving to be deadly on the counter attack. The Brazilian tandem of Daniel Carvalho and Vagner Love caused the Gunners all sorts of problems at the back, and Carvalho it was who scored the game's only goal from a free-kick from the edge of the area. The Russians now find themselves on top of Group G, a point clear of Arsenal. Porto are also still in with a shout after inflicting a 4-1 hiding on Hamburg, thanks to goals from Lisandro Lopez (2), Lucho Gonzalez (penalty) and Helder Postiga. The North German outfit slipped to their third consecutive defeat (admittedly having played away from home twice), and will be looking to emulate Newcastle, who are the only team to date to have qualified for the second round after such a catastrophic opening to the group stage.

Finally, in what had previously been a very open Group H, AC Milan found themselves down to ten men after Bonera was red-carded but nevertheless took home three very welcome points from their trip to Brussels thanks to a superb strike from Brazil's Kaka. Milan have two home games still to come and are now very much favourites to qualify. In the hunt for second spot, Lille broke their run of draws to record a gritty 3-1 win over AEK Athens in a match which saw no less than nine bookings. Mathieu Robail and Swiss international Daniel Gygax each got on the end of pin-point crosses from Kader Keita, while Cameroon midfielder Jean II Makoun's last-minute goal made sure of the three points that see the French team up to second place.
Tonight it's Barcelona up against Chelsea. Nobody can miss this one!
Since their 1-1 draw in Bremen, Barça have lost Samuel Eto'o to a long-term knee injury and former Chelsea forward Eidur Gudjohnsen looks certain to win a starting place on his return to Stamford Bridge.

I think that this will be tonight's starting teams
Chelsea: Hilário; Paulo Ferreira, John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho, Ashley Cole; Michael Essien, Michael Ballack, Frank Lampard, Arjen Robben; Andriy Shevchenko, Didier Drogba.

Barcelona: Víctor Valdés; Gianluca Zambrotta, Carles Puyol, Rafael Márquez, Giovanni van Bronckhorst; Xavi Hernández, Edmílson, Deco; Lionel Messi, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Ronaldinho.

EDIT: It should be UEFA - Kronos
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

Go MAN UTD :P :P :P
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Last night's results sucked, well for me, Arsenal losing and Man U winning, eish...

I predict a win for Chelsea tonight.
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

ryanrich wrote:Last night's results sucked, well for me, Arsenal losing and Man U winning, eish...

i guess it's gonna be worse when Man UTD kicks arsenal @$$
simmy

Post by simmy »

Im wearing my Arsenal shirt today, and when I checked the scores earlier, I now understand the looks I got from people :oops:

EUFA != UEFA :?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

skunkymunky wrote:
ryanrich wrote:Last night's results sucked, well for me, Arsenal losing and Man U winning, eish...

i guess it's gonna be worse when Man UTD kicks arsenal @$$
That's wishful thinking... ;)

MAN U's new shirts really suck, it's too bad they can't keep a decent sponsor. :lol:
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

ryanrich wrote:MAN U's new shirts really suck, it's too bad they can't keep a decent sponsor. :lol:
I happen to like them sherts... gona baai me whone soon.
Go Rooney !! :-P

s
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

I was very disappointed about Arsenal's result. But don't you worry, they'll come back fighting and will go to the final again. :bigups:
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

Tel ... I'm assuming that Arsenal will be in the final to lose again :P

Anyways...the action will really hot up come the knock-out stages. Teams are merely making sure they qualify for the next round at this stage.

Lets see how it goes ...

COME ON YOU REDS !!!
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

maestro_za wrote:Tel ... I'm assuming that Arsenal will be in the final to lose again :P
lol. We'll see about that.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

hw did last nite game go, I fell asleep b4 it cud start :lol:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

skunkymunky wrote:hw did last nite game go, I fell asleep b4 it cud start :lol:
Which one? Chelsea beat Barcelona 1 - 0 with Drogba scoring in the 43rd minute... :) Liverpool also beat Bordeaux 1 - 0.
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

thanx meant the chelsea one
liverpuke r boring
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

:lol: ... we'll see for sure Tel

chelski must be glad drogba is scoring ATM. Shevchenko can't hit the back of the net even if u paid him 30 million quid to do it :roll:

roll on knock-out stage I'd say

p.s. i saw a poll on the skysports website where fans voted that barca would have the longest unbeaten streak this season. i guess that's blown out of the water now :lol:
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services

PC: In need of an upgrade :)
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Thank goodness. My Inter boys finally got of the mark. 2-1 vs spartak.
Last edited by Interfan on 19 Oct 2006, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

Interfan ... its about time Internazional got their act together hey :wink:

Cruz might get more game time now too.
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

maestro_za wrote:Interfan ... its about time Internazional got their act together hey :wink:

Cruz might get more game time now too.
Been going very well in the league. But I quess the cl form had to do with not being able to finish games with 11 men on the field. Finally did it vs spartak and got a win.

Cruz was injured at the start of the season thats why he didn't feature in the previous 2 champions league games.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
capoeira

Post by capoeira »

my 2c worth. Am a Barca fan. Ronaldinho's losin it. hes been lozin it since world cup (from what few games I've seen). the team so needs Eto'o right now. Messi ain't got the killah instinct.
Congrats to Drogba anyways. One of da best strikas in Europe at the mo'
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

I'm a huge Inter fan, I'm a bit worried considering two of our best players are injured, Crespo and Grosso. They have the potential to win, there is a reason why Mourinho said he thinks that they are the best club in the world at the moment.
I want something good to die for, to make it beautifull to live - Queens of the Stone Age-Go with the flow
naughty

Post by naughty »

Messi ain't got the killah instinct
messi is still young - hes got loads of potential and he is a delghtful player to watch - he will come right soon
the team so needs Eto'o right now
agreed on that point
Ronaldinho's losin it. hes been lozin it since world cup (from what few games I've seen)
he has been erratic in terms of form - but so have many big names - i dotn know wether its due to the fact that opposing teams realise the menace these guys represent and have extra markers on them for a while
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Road_Kill wrote:I'm a huge Inter fan, I'm a bit worried considering two of our best players are injured, Crespo and Grosso. They have the potential to win, there is a reason why Mourinho said he thinks that they are the best club in the world at the moment.
Cool another Interfan. Crespo and Grosso have recovered. Both played this weekend so we are fine.

Just need to start taking our chances better.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

capoeira wrote:my 2c worth. Am a Barca fan. Ronaldinho's losin it. hes been lozin it since world cup (from what few games I've seen). the team so needs Eto'o right now. Messi ain't got the killah instinct.
Congrats to Drogba anyways. One of da best strikas in Europe at the mo'
Messi will never score a lot of goals. He is more a support forward(trequesta) . He will get some goals but he is really in the side to provide chances for others. Barca problem at the moment is they have 2 great support forwards in messi and ronaldiniho but they have no finisher with etoo injured.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

For those who won't to watch your team and none of the channels are showing them. You can now if you have broadband:http://video.uefa.com/Video/Live/Compet ... html?B=052
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
UndaGrad

Post by UndaGrad »

KEWL! DSTV and SuperSport rock! They're offering their services to help those folks (who don't have access to their channels) out.
capoeira

Post by capoeira »

damn barca sucks :(
now they face relegation, and they're the reigning champs. EISH :!: