Vote NOW! Curriecup'06

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.

Who's going to win the Final

Poll ended at 15 Oct 2006, 10:50

Cheethas
63%
Bulls
37%

Total votes: 41

SLIP
Processor: Intel Sandy bridge i7-2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE GEN3
Graphics card: GeForce GTX560TOP OC
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Post by SLIP »

Kronos wrote:
thEnaileDonE wrote:"Die blou bul eet nie van die vloer af nie..."

I was a bit peeved when the Cheetahs yet again ran through the Bulls to get there bonus point, but never did it even look remotely likely that the FS was going to win (not even the last twenty minutes)... I can only wonder if they were trying to win...

Well, good luck to all the teams, and my the Bulls win :)
Yip, typical blue bulls fan.
All "groot bek", with no actual rugby knowledge! :P
Im with Kronos on this one..... 8)
CountZero

Post by CountZero »

Wow..what a weekend of rugby!

First off the Lions did good this season.
The second-half of this season was their best in a long time, maybe next year?

The Sharks started this year like they ended the super 14, but then faded away. Maybe its because of the players that played for the Boks?
On paper they are a great team but when they play they don't combine.

The Cheetahs also started with a bang, but played average rugby for the rest of the year.
They have a fast backline, they proved that on Saturday, so they should have the better of the Sharks.

Western Province have had a better year than last year. They are playing better every weekend. I must agree with the choking idea, it seems they loose the important games.

As I'm a Bulls supporter I won't be objective :wink:

This weekend the Cheetahs will beat the Sharks by a small margin.
The Bulls will beat Province.

The final will be Cheetahs vs. Bulls and we all know who is better.

GO BULLS
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

What...? Is this teh soccers..
CountZero

Post by CountZero »

Wikid WTF do you know?!!

I'll bet you haven't touched a rugbyball in your life?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Willing to wager R940 + 200 = R1140 on that?

EDIT

24 mins later...

Still no reply...
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

SLIP wrote:
Kronos wrote:
thEnaileDonE wrote:"Die blou bul eet nie van die vloer af nie..."

I was a bit peeved when the Cheetahs yet again ran through the Bulls to get there bonus point, but never did it even look remotely likely that the FS was going to win (not even the last twenty minutes)... I can only wonder if they were trying to win...

Well, good luck to all the teams, and my the Bulls win :)
Yip, typical blue bulls fan.
All "groot bek", with no actual rugby knowledge! :P
Im with Kronos on this one..... 8)
You guys think to much rugby and don't feel it enough...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

They might know rugby but their teams don't know how to play it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
CountZero

Post by CountZero »

Full time score: Bulls 45 : Province 30

Go BULLS!!!!!!!!!! :D

So.. Bulls vs Cheetahs?
Mal

Post by Mal »

CountZero wrote:
So.. Bulls vs Cheetahs?
Bulls vs Cheetahs it is! Good play from the Cheetahs. Lekker games today!
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

yeah it's the same final again this year :lol:

GOING FS :!:
Colin_69

Post by Colin_69 »

GO BULLS

Haha, almost everyone i know supports wp, today was a sweet day!
ASUS P6T | Core I7 920 @ 3.4 |MSI 6950 Unlocked | 3x2048 Corsair Dominator @ 1600 8 8 8 24 (Corsair CMXAF1 Cooler) | Coolermaster HAF932 | Corsair TX850W | Logitech Z5500 | Logitech MX518 | X-FI Platinum | Samsung T260 | 8.5TB Storage
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

*cries softly in the corner*

I'm going to predict Cheetahs because I support two rugby teams. The Sharks and anyone who plays the Bulls.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

I have only one word to say about the Sharks vs. Cheetahs game: DAMMIT!!!
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Yeah, I feel the same way.

At least I got the WP vs Bulls game almost spot on.
I predicted 45 - 22

Can I say "Choke, Choke"?

Anyway, the sharks lost because they played badly, and the Cheethas played very well.
And JC Fortuin needs a guide-dog before he refs a game again.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Kronos wrote:Yeah, I feel the same way.

At least I got the WP vs Bulls game almost spot on.
I predicted 45 - 22

Can I say "Choke, Choke"?

Anyway, the sharks lost because they played badly, and the Cheethas played very well.
And JC Fortuin needs a guide-dog before he refs a game again.
How can you say that WP chocked? Did the Sharks then play a great game, balls to the wall? Like hell, while everybody did not give WP a chance I think a 45-30 performance is anything but a choke. I suppose I always knew that it would be unlikely that WP would win this one, but they did not choke!
The Sharks played a **** game and were never going to make it after their first half disaster. The normal Sharks supporter bleating about the ref always goes down well! You want to win this game, score points, the ref cannot stop that!

Cheetahs for the win, I say. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SLIP
Processor: Intel Sandy bridge i7-2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE GEN3
Graphics card: GeForce GTX560TOP OC
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Post by SLIP »

I just think WP made some real stupid mistakes....

Well I will be cheering on the Cheetahs this weekend cuz the Bulls just suck.... :twisted:
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

lancelot wrote:How can you say that WP chocked? Did the Sharks then play a great game, balls to the wall? Like hell, while everybody did not give WP a chance I think a 45-30 performance is anything but a choke. I suppose I always knew that it would be unlikely that WP would win this one, but they did not choke!
What is your definition of "Choking"?
If you've beaten the bulls twice this year, and when it matters most, you lose? What would you call that? Bad Luck?
lancelot wrote:The Sharks played a **** game and were never going to make it after their first half disaster. The normal Sharks supporter bleating about the ref always goes down well! You want to win this game, score points, the ref cannot stop that!
No doubt.
Didn't I just say that the sharks played badly?
That translates roughly into South-African as "Playing a **** game"
And I just KNEW that someone was going to say something about the losing supporter always complaining about the ref.

I didn't blame the sharks loss on the ref. By all means, if the sharks had more possession, and ran the ball and scored tries, there wouldn't have been an opportunity for the ref to affect them negatively.
The sharks made stupid mistakes, and a lot of handling errors, and conceded a lot of penalties.
BUT
That doesn't change the fact that JC ignored some blatant mistakes by the Cheethas.
And also saw faults in play of the sharks where there wasn't.

Even if the sharks had won, I would have still said that JC is a **** ref. And I've been saying it all year.

He's one of the worst refs in the game.
Ark

Post by Ark »

It was not the ref. The sharks played ****.

(I'm a sharks supporter, btw)
16-bit Corpse
I like scrota.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Ark wrote:It was not the ref. The sharks played ****.

I know this is a big ask. But please try to understand my post.
Read it again.
And then Again.
And if, after today, you still don't understand it. I'll draw a picture for you.
Ark

Post by Ark »

Kronos wrote:

Read it again.
And then Again.
And if, after today, you still don't understand it. I'll draw a picture for you.
:oops: my bad
16-bit Corpse
I like scrota.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Ark wrote:
Kronos wrote:

Read it again.
And then Again.
:oops: my bad
I knew you must've missed something.
It's not in the nature of a shark supporter to miss something :P
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Kronos said:
What is your definition of "Choking"?
If you've beaten the bulls twice this year, and when it matters most, you lose? What would you call that? Bad Luck?
I am sick and tired of this effing "choke" thing, they lost when it counted because their players were not as good as those of the Bulls, they lost on the day because of some poor decisions, probably due to inexperience by a young team during a big moment. To those guys who have never played rugby at this kind of level, do not talk about choking.
It reminds me of the last Protea - Oz game when SA allowed the Aussies to bat to 430+, the people at my brother-in-laws house where we were watching called the SA side chokers and poephols because they allowed the Aussies to score so much. However when SA won the game they were suddenly the best in the world. When WP beat the Sharks in the final at the Absa stadium, they did not choke; I do not believe that any professional team "chokes". They make mistakes under pressure, the moment overtakes them but throwing it away ("choking") implies a lack of commitment, throwing the game or just plain stupidity; I do not believe that any of the above applies.
WP made mistakes, the same as all teams do, for the same reason that I make incorrect decisions, hindsight is always an exact science. I am disappointed that they lost, WP had the ability to beat them on the day but could not get it right.
I can only hope that the Cheetahs manage to beat the Bulls, not because I dislike the team but I have difficulty in accepting the arrogance of the management staff.
The main thing of these 2006 Currie Cup competitions is this, our rugby has not improved, but we have seen some good youngsters playing the game, giving me a glimmer of hope for the future. But the Super 14 will see us again struggling to beat the Aussies and in particular the New Zealand teams. We will be lucky to make the semis, and if we do, it will be another debacle, we just do not have the ability to rise above our stereotyped bullshiiit game of 10 men rugby. We concentrate at home on front row bulk like Os and Ollie and various others, battle to find a thinking flyhalf, insist on playing gamers like Butch James and like WP, **** off because we have no kicking ability! Where is our Carter, where is our 85% kicker, has he been born yet.
The point I am making is this, the flair of WP, Sharks and Lions have got us nowhere locally because of the old fashioned coaches like Pote Human, Rassie Erasmus and so on, these guys stifle the local game and make us uncompetitive internationally. So all we can do is shout about how good our **** Provincial teams are, myself included, but not looking at the bigger picture. In my opinion, the Currie Cup system is the biggest reason why we play so dismally in the International Arena. As long as this competition remains in its present format we can kiss the World Cup goodbye, gone are the 1995 euphoric days.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

From Here
choke (fail to perform adequately due to tension or agitation) "The team should have won hands down but choked, disappointing the coach and the audience"
Clearly, we have a different definition of "choke".

I agree with the above definition.
It is a failure to perform adequately due to tension or agitation.
There is nothing about a lack of commitment. And also not that throwing the game constitutes choking.

If we look at what happend to WP and possibly The Sharks as well:
They failed to perform adequately under pressure. Period.
This fits perfectly with the above definition.

Whether it is as a consequence of their inexperience or not, it doesn't change the fact that they failed to perform on a level that could win them the match.

Do you see my point?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

lancelot wrote:The point I am making is this, the flair of WP, Sharks and Lions have got us nowhere locally because of the old fashioned coaches like Pote Human, Rassie Erasmus and so on, these guys stifle the local game and make us uncompetitive internationally. So all we can do is shout about how good our **** Provincial teams are, myself included, but not looking at the bigger picture. In my opinion, the Currie Cup system is the biggest reason why we play so dismally in the International Arena. As long as this competition remains in its present format we can kiss the World Cup goodbye, gone are the 1995 euphoric days.
Please tell me what "flair" it is from the WP, Sharks and Lions you refer to? And HTF can Pote and Rassie's coaching style affect the "local game" negatively? If anything, Rassie's unortodox style and REAL flair blew new life into the game. What in the Curriecup league system needs to change for it to be more in line with international standards? Our premier league is a xerox copy of the league's in europe and in Aus / NZ, as per international standards.

I dont think there is anything wrong with our system, our provincial coaches or players. What we DO lack is vision and ability on national level, making wrong selections and playing the wrong style. We have all the potential and players available to be dominating. I do however, agree with you on a kicker in the Bok team. We definitely need more consistency there.

s
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

All this said....

I will be drinking my Heinies from kronos and enjoying the game this coming saturday from a church, as a (not so anymore) very good friend decided to get married on the day of the final. /cry

I will have my trusty cellphone and earpiece handy...

s