So you have a plane and a conveyor belt....Does it take off?

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

I see Q as the 17th letter of the alphabet.

You can also divide it by Wednesday, and get 2 for the price of 1......

(I think I missed the question......can you repeat that please?)
Cupersool

"You can not say you practice Ubuntu, but then you steal your grandmother’s pension money.” - Pres. Thabo Mbeki: Crime not out of hand 15/01/
Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

I missed the Q part…..sorry!

The way I see it is the same way they explain it at http://travel.howstuffworks.com/airplane2.htm
With drag.

The only way that plane will take-off is if all other factors involved (like wind etc.) is tied to that conveyer belt
Cupersool

"You can not say you practice Ubuntu, but then you steal your grandmother’s pension money.” - Pres. Thabo Mbeki: Crime not out of hand 15/01/
capanno

Post by capanno »

How do you interpret the scenario? Does the belt compensate for the rotational velocity, or the translational velocity.

Why do I get the feeling you have not read the thread...
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

....and move in the same direction as the belt (with the belt)
Cupersool

capanno

Post by capanno »

Your not making sense. So you see the question like its the belt moving in the opposite direction at the same speed as the plane?
Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

Yes, I see it as the belt is moving e.g. ----> (right) @200km/h and the plane is "moving" <--- (left) @200km/h. That gives you zero airspeed.

If you sit in the plane while it's "moving" on the belt and you look outside, everything would stand still, meaning they will stay in the same position. If you stick your hand out the window, you will feel no wind (taking this as in perfect conditions). Where is the drag that is suppose to cause lift on the wings?

If all else fails, phone these guys @ http://www.fts.co.za/. I know they will give us an answer.
Cupersool

capanno

Post by capanno »

LOL. Not another one!

Please, please read the thread.
Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

First of all, I can't find the "Q" you asked me about and on your second question on rotational velocity or the translational velocity, I only had science on std.grade in matric (didn't pay much attention..... in those days I didn't know that there would be internet and a PC Format site asking difficult questions.)

If I understand rotational velocity and translational velocity correctly, I don't see the relevance of that in the original question. As far as I'm concerned, that plane has got zero airspeed, doesn't matter how fast the jets, or props go...the belt will keep on canceling out the speed the engines would generate.
Cupersool

capanno

Post by capanno »

The Q, is on page 1. And.... READ THE THREAD.
Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

Sorry, I thought the "Q" was part of some formula or something. I didn't know you ment the question!!

My appologies
Cupersool

Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Graham1 wrote:Slasher, I think you, Moses and myself should go out for a beer, or better still, a case of beer - each, to celebrate our mutual understanding. Actually no, make that brandy and coke.
Dude, the idea sounds fine, except I dont drink brandy & coke, much less beer... Hate the taste of teh stuff...

Now I need a job, seeing as my hoped-to-be employer decided to scrap the post they advertised AFTER telling me they want me for final interviews :(

O well, at least I only have one exam paper left...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

I interpret the question exactly like it is asked: would the plane take off? With the answer in the question:
“…but the source of thrust is at the back of the plane so it never provides airflow over the wing. “
This is what I based my answer on:
“…never provides airflow over the wing.”
If a drag racer, (refer to example used earlier in the thread), was built flat on the ground (grammar? punct?), no air can get under the car, it will stay on the ground at any speed, doesn’t matter how slow or fast. But now they build it “more aero-dynamic” less wind resistant by lifting it a bit off the ground. As soon as that car starts traveling at high speeds, the slightest wind under the car will get it airborne. That is why the F1 cars have got “wings”, to keep the cars “stick” to the ground. The pressure of the wind (airflow) pushes the car down. That is why they don’t (normally) get airborne.

So, if there is no airflow, then no lift and no take-off.

This is just how I see it, it is my opinion and yes…..I can be wrong!!
Cupersool

capanno

Post by capanno »

The source is at the back. It merely shows that its not like a prop in front that can provide some airflow.

Here's a detailed analysis.

http://www.pcformat.co.za/modules.php?n ... 053#405053
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Cupersool...

Do you interpret it as that the conveyor belt matches the speed of the wheels rotation, or the actual physical forward speed of the aircraft as a whole?

That is the big divider in this argument...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

Conveyor belt matches the speed of the wheels rotation
Cupersool

Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

The way I see it is that the question is about the aircraft taking-off, so the ground speed doesn't matter because it is matched by the belt, so it equals zero. It doesn't matter about the tires or thrust because for now, that has got to do with whatever goes on on the ground.

If a fixed-wing aircraft is stationary (engine off) and it is tied to the ground with a piece of rope, say about 10m long and a strong enough head-wind picks up, it can actually make the aircraft fly (glide) like a kite….lots of airspeed vs. zero groundspeed.
Cupersool

rustypup

Re: So you have a plane and a conveyor belt....Does it take off?

Post by rustypup »

:whistling:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

I'm unsure whether this counts as a necro of note or an interesting spin (pun intended) on the original thread. :lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

mythbusters did this experiment. Plane took off, end of story.

Helicopter on turntable? Helicopter stays on ground.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Depends on the direction of the turntable relative to the rotation of the blades. Even if they are the same direction though, the blades rotate much faster, hence there will be lift and take off.

rustypup, Obvious troll is...obvious?
to ápeiro anima
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Oooo ... oooo ... PLEEEEEEEZE can we see teh puppi banned for two weeks? :twisted:

(No, not really.)
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I second the notion. That's 2 against one, democracy rules, BAN HIM! :lol:
to ápeiro anima
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

rabid squirrel is rabid ;)

if the turntable is rotating in the opposite direction of the blades and maintains the same rpm as the blades, then the blades will stay stationary in relation to the air around them and the helicopter will not take off, it will be an interesting ride for the pilot though.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:rabid squirrel is rabid ;)

if the turntable is rotating in the opposite direction of the blades and maintains the same rpm as the blades, then the blades will stay stationary in relation to the air around them and the helicopter will not take off, it will be an interesting ride for the pilot though.
It would need to be a pretty big turntable.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

GreyWolf, That's a valid point.

However, consider the following:

A helicopter typically has a peak RPM of about 2000RPM.
A turntable typically rotates at 45 or 78 RPM.
to ápeiro anima