So you have a plane and a conveyor belt....Does it take off?

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
BannedTroll
Permanently Banned

So you have a plane and a conveyor belt....Does it take off?

Post by BannedTroll »

The plane increases it's thrust and the wheels begin to rotate. The belt compensates for the rotation of the wheels in reverse, as in the belt moves in reverse exactly as fast as the wheels move forward.

And if it matters, it's a nice sunny day and you have good tires, so you get perfect traction on the belt at all times. Your plane also happens to be very powerful and you can give it as much thrust as you like, but the source of thrust is at the back of the plane so it never provides airflow over the wing.

Does the plane take off*?

*question version copied from AT forums.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

the plane will take off. it not using its wheels to create motion.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Basipooned!

Post by Basipooned! »

No.. If the plane is as moving as fast forward as the conveyer belt is moving it backwards.. There will be now airflow over the wings.

If there is no airflow over the wings there will be no lift under the wings pusing the plane upwards.
Im too lazy to scan my signature in!!!
BannedTroll
Permanently Banned

Post by BannedTroll »

One of you is wrong. ;)
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

I am right...as always...

btw, lift is created above the wings
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Basipooned!

Post by Basipooned! »

BannedTroll wrote:One of you is wrong. ;)
ROFL... really???
Greywolf wrote: btw, lift is created above the wings
Oh ja.. I knew that. Even so, how will it take off with no airflow??
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

dude, the plane is not relying on its wheels to propel it, therefore the conveyor has no effect on slowing it down...
- H. L. Mancken
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

*whistle*
Last edited by Monty on 21 Aug 2009, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Moses

Post by Moses »

I can see this thread getting heated soon....
Law

Post by Law »

i think the 2 of you are looking at the problem differently and i think both are right. BP is saying if you have a plane with wheels on a conveyorbelt and it's faceing left and the conveyorbelt is moving right and the plane say has a stick behind (or as BT said an engine) it keeping it stationary ( preventing it from moving with the belt) it wont have lift because it has ground speed(relative to the belt) but no air speed.

Gw i think you saying if the belt has a flap that pushes it forward then the plane has zero groundspeed relative to the belt but has airspeed generating lift

tada

MAY THE CHEESE BE WITH YOU!
{PK} Law
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

monty, the only effect the conveyor is having is spinning the wheels faster than if the plane was on a normal runway. The jet engines are propelling the plane foreward and there is nothing compensating for that, therefore the plane accelerates and takes off.
- H. L. Mancken
BannedTroll
Permanently Banned

Post by BannedTroll »

Moses wrote:I can see this thread getting heated soon....
:lol:
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

I will not get into an argument... I have beer keeping my temper nice and chilled...

edit: think it through logically...the only time the wheels on a plane spin s when the plane is already moving. So the plane starts movingforeward, its wheels begin to spin, the conveyor kicks in and turns in the opposite direction, this does not slow the plane dow, it just speeds up the spin of the wheels. But relative to the air around it, the plane is still moving foreward cos that is what the engines are pushing against.
Last edited by GreyWolf on 01 Apr 2006, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
- H. L. Mancken
Law

Post by Law »

gw i see what u saying but BT said ...........

hmm reading BT post again it said...

"source of thrust is at the back of the plane so it never provides airflow over the wing."

so it is propelsion that causes no air movement over the wings

the only way air can move over the wings is if the trust generated by the engine makes the plane travel faster than the conveyorbelt

MAY THE CHEESE BE WITH YOU!
{PK} Law
Basipooned!

Post by Basipooned! »

GreyWolf wrote:edit: think it through logically...the only time the wheels on a plane spin s when the plane is already moving. So the plane starts movingforeward, its wheels begin to spin, the conveyor kicks in and turns in the opposite direction, this does not slow the plane dow, it just speeds up the spin of the wheels. But relative to the air around it, the plane is still moving foreward cos that is what the engines are pushing against.
good point.. I didn't see it like that initially but now i do. 8) 8) :idea:
Moses

Post by Moses »

The only way the plane wouldn't move forward (relative to the air) would be if the forward thrust (kabillions of Newtons) was countered by some other force. Where does this force come from?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Law you on the right track, except that you are missing one thing... the conveyor has absolutely nothing to do with the speed of the plane in relation to the air around it. The conveyor is not affecting the air, it is only affecting the wheels of the plane. In other words, the moving conveyor is not causing the air around the plane to also go in the opposite direction, therefore if the air around is not affected, the thrust of the engines will create a foreward momentum, the plane will accelerate and it will take off.
- H. L. Mancken
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

so..what do I win?
- H. L. Mancken
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

errr your wrong? Sorry , just had to say it...

An aircraft takes off by the air flowing over the flaps pushing it upwards (as the air is forced down... ) Right?

Now, if the aircraft is standing still , even if the wheels are turning, there is no air runnning over the flaps cuasing lift... Still with me?

Still standing air over a flap doesnt give you lift, hence the aircraft just runs in the spot... There we go...

Go think about it a bit... Maybe even draw yourself a sketch...

Take a paper airplane, put wheels on it and let it run on the treadmill... will it take off? Off course not...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
CatZ

Post by CatZ »

School's closed, I'm not going to fry my brain trying to solve this one...
But it's interesting to read what every1 thinks...
Moses

Post by Moses »

:D I love the arrogance with which people try to convince others they are right.

Slasher, we have a plane with kazillion Newtons of thrust, you say the plane is stationery, therefore zero resultant force... where is the negative kaziilion Newtons coming from to cancel the engine thrust? Friction :D ?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

slasher...you don't even know the basic principles of aerodynamics...

the reason a wing provides lift is not cos air is pushing against the bottom. It because the way the wing is shaped, it creates a vacuum above it, and threfore the wing is sucked up. The flaps are use for direction and slowing down(If you ever flew you would have noticed that they only extend them during landing).

the rest of your post is nonsense so I won't even bother...
- H. L. Mancken
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Grewyolf...

If the wing creates a vaccuum above it, then there needs to be air flowing over it at high speed before it can create the vacuum is it not?

Please, enlioghten me as to where the air is that is supposed to create a vacuum?

Id be willing to put all my money on this bet...
My BF2142 Stats:

Moses

Post by Moses »

Slasher wrote:Grewyolf...

If the wing creates a vaccuum above it, then there needs to be air flowing over it at high speed before it can create the vacuum is it not?

Please, enlioghten me as to where the air is that is supposed to create a vacuum?

Id be willing to put all my money on this bet...
You are such a douche.
How much money? I'd bet you, no problem.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Moses wrote::D I love the arrogance with which people try to convince others they are right.

Slasher, we have a plane with kazillion Newtons of thrust, you say the plane is stationery, therefore zero resultant force... where is the negative kaziilion Newtons coming from to cancel the engine thrust? Friction :D ?
*Sigh*

If you read the start post of the thread you will see that the plane is supposed to be standing still whilst rolling on the conveyor belt... Thus, the negative force is the force being exerted on the belt pushing it backwards...

I see no sense in going as deep into the science as newtons if it is obvious that the plane is standing still (Condition = set by user) , where is the air flow coming from?

Accordign to what you two are saying, the plane will do a vertical takeoff till the wheels are FULLY off the conveyor belt and THEN it will start accelerating forward.... ... So you create a vertical take off, which can then be amazingly used to reduce the required runway of a aircraft carrier...
My BF2142 Stats: