The Urban Legend Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
BluePsyche

The Urban Legend Thread

Post by BluePsyche »

Anyone up for sharing and discussing urban legends? You know, stories of strange lights or if you cut off certain snakes' heads they grow back? Come on it'll be fun! :wink: Let's hear those absurd but sometimes eerily disquieting snippets.
Last edited by BluePsyche on 21 Feb 2006, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest battle is the one within...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

i once heard some1 stuck there screwdriver into a computer fan 8O :wink: :lol:

sorry rid couldnt help it...

i actually havent heard any, besides one but we wont go there it starts with "R", keen to follow this thread...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
morgana

Post by morgana »

you know the stuff that you get in your eyes everyday when you wake up in the morning? i heard that if you take that stuff from a dog and rub it on your own eyes you'll start seeing demons and other freaky things at night.

that's the most craziest thing i've heard from a muslim
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

@Morgana: yeah, that does sound crazy. Maybe it was an ancient practice and someone decide it was evil...
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Urban legends? Don't know any. But if you want I could just post some of my weird and whack stories I usually write when I'm bored.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
morgana

Post by morgana »

who knows? but the same person told me that her younger sisters see that kinda stuff now and then and also that her parrot tells her older sister what everyones been doing during the day when she gets back from work... INSANE! What do you say to stories like that? i wasn't there so i cannot say it isn't true.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

One that I remember was the guy who sang, "dont worry, be happy" was now dead, that was just rubbish, damn, cannot remember his name.

There is also the one of the Norwegian Oil drillers who drilled so deep that they said they had penetrated hell. They posted tape recording of mournful and screaming sounds that they claimed came from the bottom of the drill hole. A 'so-called' Pastor then verified all of this. It was proven to be a hoax of note.

{Ship of Fools } site.

Ship of fools

There are many here! :D :D
morgana

Post by morgana »

there's another one that i believe is true. a pastor died and was shown heaven and hell. he saw another pastor in hell who cried out to him. he was also informed that that is where he would've gone if it wasn't his purpose to come back to earth and tell everyone....

http://www.researchoncults.org/PastorsGoingToHell.htm
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

lancelot wrote:damn, cannot remember his name.
bobby mcferrin :)

@morgana - must have been a day tour... :lol:
<edit>
hang about... not to be flamed here but he's nigerian... and i haven't forgiven their minister of finance for not paying me that $800,000 dollars that he promised me... :evil:

after all that work and effort. and i really needed it 'cause my bank account mysteriously emptied itself for *no apparent reason*... must have been a miracle... :? </edit>
Last edited by rustypup on 21 Feb 2006, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

Yes, i believe i've heard quite a couple of stories like that. And others about satanists who talk about their experiences and what they had to do. I'm not sure whether i believe those or not.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

rustypup wrote:
lancelot wrote:damn, cannot remember his name.
bobby mcferrin :)

@morgana - must have been a day tour... :lol:
<edit>
hang about... not to be flamed here but he's nigerian... and i haven't forgiven their minister of finance for not paying me that $800,000 dollars that he promised me... :evil:

after all that work and effort. and i really needed it 'cause my bank account mysteriously emptied itself for *no apparent reason*... must have been a miracle... :? </edit>
Thanks rustypup, just could not recall that name, old age you know! :(

A scream about the Nigerian not paying you, they owe me some as well! :D
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

Yeah that scam was messed up, they really had my hopes up.

:evil: Mama I'm a millionaire :twisted: was my mantra @ the time.
t3h blog
"Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned, the looked for that cometh at unawares, the longed for that cometh beyond hope! Hail Eärendil, bearer of light before the Sun and Moon! Splendour of the Children of Earth, star in the darkness, jewel in the sunset, radiant in the morning!"

Of the Voyage of Eärendil , The Silmarillion
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

Stick to the topic people!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

IIRC and in a similar vein to ol' bobby m... anyone here remember the tall tale of Rodriguez being sent to the "big house" for much of his life... ?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

I know this is Waaaayyy off topic, but I just had to say something when I read the thread title.

@BluePsyche.
Quickly, in you own words, explain what an "Arcanium" is.

You can't can you? That's because there is no such word.
It's been used as a place name before, but that's it.

I just love it how people hear a word somewhere, and then just decide for themselves what it means, and use it all the time, without ever going into detail as to what it actually means, or if the word even exists.

Don't worry BP it's not just you. RuadRauFlessa does it all the time too. :wink:

Anyhow, this is just a rant. Sorry for the thread-jack. :D

Carry on... :wink:
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

rustypup wrote:IIRC and in a similar vein to ol' bobby m... anyone here remember the tall tale of Rodriguez being sent to the "big house" for much of his life... ?
I heard another, more twisted tale than that.

The story I heard, was that Rodriguez (one of my all time fav. artists btw) did a live show, finished it off with the eternal lyrics:
"Thanks for your time,
then you can thank me for mine.
And after that's said,
forget it."

And then he shot himself.

This is ofcourse not true. And he did a tour again a couple of years ago.
I just wish he'd come again.
jee

Post by jee »

Kronos wrote: The story I heard, was that Rodriguez (one of my all time fav. artists btw)
he is? 8O 8O I thought i was the only one who adored his music... ;)

and no, this is not an urban myth its the truth
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Arcanium is a made up word, means a collection, very arty you know Kronos, but exist? No!
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

jee wrote:
Kronos wrote: The story I heard, was that Rodriguez (one of my all time fav. artists btw)
he is? 8O 8O I thought i was the only one who adored his music... ;)
Nope, I looooooooooove his music.
Got my hands on one of his albums "Coming from reality" a while ago, and I listen as much as I can.
How can you not love the style of his music, and those unforgettable lyrics.
Songs like

"It started out so nice"
It started out with butterflies,
on a velvet afternoon.
With flashing eyes and promises,
caught and held too soon.
In a place called Ixea,
with it's pumpkin oval moon.

It started out so nice.

And "Silver Words"
Baby I ain't joking
And it's not what I'm smoking
I really think you're nice
Don't think I'm kidding
And don't think that I'm bidding
If silver words are your price

But oh if you could see
The change you've made in me
That the angels in the skies
Were envious and surprised
That anyone as nice as you
Would chance with me
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

lancelot wrote:Arcanium is a made up word
Just like Rehabilitated? :wink:
Sorry, I watched "The Shawshank Redemption" again last night.
It just reminded me of Red's last speach to the parole hearing board:

Red: Rehabilitated? Well, Now let me see. You know, I have no idea what that means.
Parole Hearings Man: Well, it means that you're ready to rejoin society.
Red: I know what you think it means, sonny. To me it's just a made up word; a politician's word. So young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did?
Parole Hearings Man: Well, are you?
Red: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then, a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullsh*t word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a ****.
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

Pretty interesting Urban legend there kronos.

*comments dryly*
Belix

Post by Belix »

Just got this one via email

all the classic signs - bad grammar, vague, no references...and dumb.
How many of us do this?

Answer a cell phone while it is being CHARGED!!

A few days ago, a person was charging his cell phone at home in Sandton Johannesburg Just at that time a call came and he attended to it That call with the instrument still connected to the mains. After a few seconds electricity flowed into the cell phone unrestrained and the young man was thrown to the ground with a heavy thud.

His parents rushed to the room only to find him unconscious, with weak heartbeats and burnt fingers.
He was rushed to the nearby hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival. Cell phone is a very useful modern invention. However, we must be aware that it can also be an instrument of death.

Never use the cell phone while it is hooked to the mains!

FORWARD THIS TO THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER IN YOUR LIFE,
I JUST DID!
edit, sorry about the necro...but hey I just had to post it :D

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Urban Legend Thread

Post by Stuart »

Resurrection time! :mrgreen:

The truth about the NASA space pen
The story

In the 1960s, the story goes, NASA realised that astronauts would need a special pen for recording data, instrument readings etc. when in space. This pen would have to be capable of writing upside-down, in zero gravity, and in extremely high and low temperatures.

NASA enlisted some of the finest minds in the country and set them to work. After much trial and error, years of work, and the expenditure of 1.5 million dollars, they finally succeeded in developing a space pen. And the Russians? The Russians used pencils.

The truth

Initially, American astronauts used pencils, too, but they weren't popular. If part of the pencil broke off and floated around the capsule, it was a minor nuisance that could turn into a serious hazard - it could get into an astronaut's eye, or even cause instruments to short out. The wood in pencils was an added fire hazard in the oxygen-rich atmosphere of the capsule, but mechanical (propelling) pencils still presented the danger of tiny pieces of lead breaking off and floating around.

It was actually an American pen manufacturer, Paul C Fisher (1913-2006) who came up with the solution in 1965. Fisher realised the nature of the problem and developed the Fisher Space Pen without being asked, much less paid, by NASA. Fisher's pen, with a tungsten carbide ballpoint precisely fitted to avoid leaks, used pressurised cartridges holding special ink which becomes less viscous when shaken. It can write on almost any material, at any angle and at great extremes of temperature.

True, it did cost around a million dollars to develop, but that was all Fisher's money. He submitted his invention to NASA, who adopted it in 1967 after extensive testing. And the Russians? The Russians bought 100 Fisher Space Pens and 1,000 refill cartridges in 1969.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: The Urban Legend Thread

Post by Tribble »

Oooh how the truth changes things