F1 2006

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.

Who do you think will win This Season?

Renault
9%
Ferrari
69%
Mclaren
17%
Another Team
5%

Total votes: 77

Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
Dom wrote:Kimi both drove very well (for Kimi to come from 22nd place to 3rd was damn good!).
Yeah with a full tank of fuel a half decent car and only one pit stop while everyone else only has to make 2 stops. Verry difficult indeed. :wink:
no thats called smart strategy :wink:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SlashBack

Post by SlashBack »

The next race is going to be very interesting, cos it'll show who has reliable motors that can last two races. And how was young Mister Rossberg? I think he will be a future force to be reckoned with, just give him some time to settle in. Lets all hope that this years season will be a bit more exciting than the last few, ne?
VoodooProphetII

Post by VoodooProphetII »

Anakha56 wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:
Dom wrote:Kimi both drove very well (for Kimi to come from 22nd place to 3rd was damn good!).
Yeah with a full tank of fuel a half decent car and only one pit stop while everyone else only has to make 2 stops. Verry difficult indeed. :wink:
no thats called smart strategy :wink:
Very true what you said Anakha, but some always see what they want to see. It's much more difficult to post decent times with a car fueled up to the brim, I mean for every 20Kg's fuel, you lose something like half a second on some tracks, so yeh, it was a brilliant drive.

And RuadRauFlessa, if it was really that easy, why doesn't more of the teams say bugger the qually and reliability, if we know we can do this everytime, and with any driver, then it's a done deal....

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but Kimi has done this a few times in the previous season......hmmm So congrats Kimi and once again a really good race....

I see the fagrarri fans has woken up again........he he he
Dom

Post by Dom »

I think every 10L's of fuel equals 4\10th of a second slower per lap...

This looks set to be an exciting F1 season, that's for sure :D
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
VoodooProphetII

Yup DOM....I think you spot on there..... Really exciting times....but much needed I'd say.
brabham

Post by brabham »

Dom wrote:I think every 10L's of fuel equals 4\10th of a second slower per lap...

Actually its 10kg of fuel = 0.4 secs per lap.

Btw who else noticed the irony of the Massa pitstop mess up? Think about it. If he didnt spin and flat spot his tyres requiring an earlier stop then probably Schumi would have come in the pits and have to deal with a faulty airgun. Eish! 8O
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

brabham - never thought of that, poor ole Massa and lucky Mikey.

Raud - definately agree with you on the fueling scenario. Refilling after qualifying would make the strategies way less predicatble.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Dom

Post by Dom »

brabham wrote:
Dom wrote:I think every 10L's of fuel equals 4\10th of a second slower per lap...

Actually its 10kg of fuel = 0.4 secs per lap.

Btw who else noticed the irony of the Massa pitstop mess up? Think about it. If he didnt spin and flat spot his tyres requiring an earlier stop then probably Schumi would have come in the pits and have to deal with a faulty airgun. Eish! 8O
I forgot that they measure fuel in KG's not L's in F1... but isn't it much the same? BTW, 4/10 = 0.4 ;)
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

*sigh* what a depressing F1 for me, my driver got knocked out b4 he could complete 1 lap...

other than that it actually was a good F1. Good show Fisi, Alonso and Button. Montoya drove like a snail the whole race long i mean come on we know Mclarens are alot faster what was his problem? was he just saving the engine to get points? Well done Massa for coming from the back to steal 5th from Schumi it was quite fun to see.

any1 know if Kimi has jumped ship to Ferrari next year?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
VoodooProphetII

Well Anakha.....my brother told me it's confirmed, but in the soap opera call F1, I say we'll have to wait and see.

And I'm utterly dissapointed...... When is Kimi gonna have any luck....? Kimi has to be the unluckiest F1 driver I've ever seen... Okay yes there's been others...I know, but Kimi has to be amongst the top ones. And Monty...shame shame shame......and shame again, that dude needs to wake up. He loses interest too quickly...
Disrupter

Post by Disrupter »

IT's still a rumour but it will b sad if Kimi want's to go 2 ferrari but hey i know that Alonso is coming 2 mclaren next year
Imageoempie.png[/img][/url]
VoodooProphetII

Alonso to McLaren is for me even more sad to me.. And besides, at present he'll be stupid to leave Renault, but then again, we never know what McLaren will pull out of the bag this season.
Disrupter

Post by Disrupter »

Jip its true, think i am going 2 support mclaren still havent got a team.
Imageoempie.png[/img][/url]
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Montoya is a looser. He will never be able to take a F1 championship, his temperament and attitude is completely wrong for it. VoodooProphetII, I think it was one of the commentators this weekend that commented on Kimi's luck and said that you create your own luck. Maybe a shift to another constructor is just what he needs. And yes he is propably the most unlucky F1 driver ever. Unless you look at the fact that the McLaren Mercedes is just like any other high class Mercedes on the market today.Unreliable at best.

About the coming from the back thing. Montoya has even done it, Hakkinen has done it, Alesi has done it in his day, Massa did it this weekend, The list goes on. Hell even Hill has done it once or twice, oh yeah and Micheal has done it like a million times already once being stuck between gears 3 and 5 in a Beneton Renault. Whenever there has been a top runner that for some or other reason did not qualify all to greatly and thus started from the back they did it. Not a matter of too much skill either. The thing is even with the diffirence in fuel the ammount of performance diffirence between the top 3 constructors and the other 7 are sooooo huge that you can pass them easily in the beginning of the race. Then your fuel wears off you get to the people with more closely matched performance figures. And then to top it all off you still only have one stop where the rest of the people has 2. That gives you another 25 seconds or so. The list of things counting in your favour is immense. And did Kimi at any time during the first race of the season have a fastest lap or even a lap where he would have been able to challenge pos5 for a strait out match, and your answer is NO he did not have the pace. If your rational is right about it being about really having soo much more talent put him 25 seconds behind someone in the same car on the same fuel level and tell him to catch up and take him over in 25 laps. There is a challenge for you and the only thing that can still be issued towards driver ability in F1.

I know that we have seen some of it this season but I am fed up with F1 being a qualifying and pitstop only affair. On thrack there is virtually no room for overtaking due to turbulance coming off the car infront. That combined with the fuel limit and qualifying rules makes it impossible for anything else but a predictable race. I want to see the type of races there were like 10 years ago where no one knew what the other team is up to. Where no one knew wether a pit crew is coming out to perform a feit to try and push another team into making an early stop. Where no one knew how much fuel anyone carried. I want F1 not a scalectric set.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:On thrack there is virtually no room for overtaking due to turbulance coming off the car infront. That combined with the fuel limit and qualifying rules makes it impossible for anything else but a predictable race.
the wing part is changing as of next year there will be a new rear wing. its in the F1 2005 thread :wink:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Anakha56 wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:On thrack there is virtually no room for overtaking due to turbulance coming off the car infront. That combined with the fuel limit and qualifying rules makes it impossible for anything else but a predictable race.
the wing part is changing as of next year there will be a new rear wing. its in the F1 2005 thread :wink:
Ooh goddie. I'd still like to see the return of open fuel regulations though.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.formula1.com/news/3764.html

just for you Raud :wink: its the new rear wing design.

as for open fuel, maybe (hopefully) we will get back to it...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I can aleady see some pieces of tyre flying all over the place.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Anyway what od you people think of the bendig wing thing? Should wings and body components be allowed to bend? Is it currently against the rules and regulations? Keep it or chuck it? interesting technology? side effect of bad design?
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

thats a tough one, i say allow it for now but if it provides to much of a performance leap then drop it. on that topic did any1 see the way that Ferrari rear wing moved?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Yeah swa that and that is exactly what is causing the controversy at the moment. They say it causes less drag when it bends but it looks more like an uncontrolled reaction to me since it ossilates in various frequincies, iow not consistent/predictable manner. Now if it were to bend back/flat under huge pressure then I would say you can get an advantage but why chuck the technology if in deed it is meant to be so. I am just wondering what that vibration is doing to the rest of the car (throwing off balance perhaps?) If indeed this can be properly controlled it would actually provide an advantage to the person behind as the air would be more fluid than jubmbled up by a full rear wing.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
VoodooProphetII

I know that we have seen some of it this season but I am fed up with F1 being a qualifying and pitstop only affair. On thrack there is virtually no room for overtaking due to turbulence coming off the car in front. That combined with the fuel limit and qualifying rules makes it impossible for anything else but a predictable race. I want to see the type of races there were like 10 years ago where no one knew what the other team is up to. Where no one knew whether a pit crew is coming out to perform a feet to try and push another team into making an early stop. Where no one knew how much fuel anyone carried. I want F1 not a eclectic set.
@ Ruad

Well if overtaking is so difficult.....or like you said there's virtually no room for overtaking, then it should be well driven if you are able to come from the back and end up on the podium. Then there’s other factors as well to take into consideration like the MP4-21 having one of the engines with the least power which is what’s needed for straight line speeds, oh and then of course a heavier car putting a bit more strain on the engine and tyres….but seen that you know the detail, I’ll leave that one there.

Aerodynamics is a little bit more complex then you might think. There is a rule stating that the wing has a certain degree at which it may move during the race, and more then that would mean illegal. It’s a really effective way to reduce drag, and ultimately increase speed, but it’s something that I’m sure the FIA won’t allow (but then again, it’s Ferrari, so we never know). Was it done on purpose by them…we can’t say, seen that the line between legal and illegal in F1 is so fine that it’s actually a joke.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Seing as these rule changes actually started when Ferrari completely dominated for a 4 year stint. They tried to give the other cars a catch up on ferrari and look what they caused. They should go back to the original regulations they had pre 2000 which actually stood unchanged for more than 3 decades. And now look at it.

VoodooProphetII, may I bring something to your attention. Go and have a look here and say that McLaren has adisadvantage on the straight. And if you actually read what I have written then you would have noted that I made a comparison for the early stages of the race where someone that has one of the top 3 constructors' cars will be outpasing the back people rediqulously easily.

Anyway I can't see how that much change in the wing actually helps them as in the frequincy that it does move with will actually cause some vibration and instability. Since the one moment you will have full downforce and the next you will have verry little. You should theoretically actually loose some pull away speed since you don't have all the grip you should have.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
VoodooProphetII

Okay fair enough....just keep in mind your link show best laps times, and average speed, not top speed. McLaren used less wing to up their speed, because they did not have the straight line speed, and less wing hamper handling in slow corners.

But it's okay, I understand what you saying if you calculate the pitstop times the ppl stopping twice was stationed for about 20seconds longer then the one stoppers, which says that Kimi should have won the race, so he wasn't all that good in the end.

And James Allen saying you make your own luck....well that can be argued. Yup if he was maybe with another team things would have been different, or maybe if he was driving Monty's car he would have been luckier, but that's another storie all together.

As for the vibrating wing....maybe it help, maybe it doesn't.

As for changing back to the old rules that stood for 30 years, I have to agree. I never complained about Fagrarri's domination, it just pissed me off that the other teams could not get their ducks in a row.

As for putting Kimi in the same car as another driver and let him start 25 seconds behind the other driver...... True, but it all depends on if the engin lasts.....ha ha ha.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Sorry wrong link here it the right one. :lol:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932