The Banana Republic thread

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

Is it just me, or are there other people out there wondering how a 60-something year old woman got a liver so quick? I am of course refering to our favourite embarrassment, Helath Minister Manto. I always thought that the list had strict rules, and there would be no bending them, a 60 year old has no chance of getting a liver, let alone in such a short time, one of the percs of the job I suppose. Not that I wish anyone dead, but the should have transplanted it with a lemon a beetroot or potato.
I want something good to die for, to make it beautifull to live - Queens of the Stone Age-Go with the flow
Ike

Post by Ike »

Let's see the wonderful literature we can find on the anc's web page: :D

http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/anctoday/2007/at10.htm

Very interesting!

http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/anctoday/index.html

Hmmm, yes! the BBC is racist! Wait, no! WTF! THE BBC? THE B-B-C?

Yes the BBC is racist! merely because they are whites criticizing blacks!

All whites are racist! mhuahahaa... :twisted:

Now lets see, This party I have always deemed as a bunch of terrorists. They are still the same people who were necklacing people in the streets...

So why is this part so hard to believe: that the ANC don't want whites in south africa?

Things like: expropriation against white productive farmers. (what a stupid, but effective way to starve your own children!)

BEE -how does Black economic empowerment work if the majority is black? Shoudn't it be WEE? :?:

Quota's - There needs to be 50% black players in the cricket and rugby teams. And yet, our soccer teams are 98%+ black? With NO talk of change!

name changes - we found tswane! It is the capital and an african founded it! End of story!

Forceful integration of white and black neighborhoods.( Like PTA)

yada yada yada... EISH! :P
Ike

Post by Ike »

Road_Kill wrote:Is it just me, or are there other people out there wondering how a 60-something year old woman got a liver so quick? I am of course refering to our favourite embarrassment, Helath Minister Manto. I always thought that the list had strict rules, and there would be no bending them, a 60 year old has no chance of getting a liver, let alone in such a short time, one of the percs of the job I suppose. Not that I wish anyone dead, but the should have transplanted it with a lemon a beetroot or potato.
It's called equality! You are just more equal than others. (maybe a friend or relative gave her one?)
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Ike wrote:Let's see the wonderful literature we can find on the anc's web page: :D

http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/anctoday/2007/at10.htm
Oh my god! That guy writes in such a manner to make people like me not want to continue reading past the first sentence.. Talk about boring..
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

http://iafrica.com/news/sa/718510.htm
Thousands of motorists in Limpopo who switched to new registration number plates must now revert to the old ones, the Sowetan newspaper reported on Monday.

The new "L" plates have been declared illegal because they have no security features and still have the old provincial logo.

The new plates have also not been approved by the South African Bureau of Standards.

Former MEC for roads and transport, Stan Motimele, announced in 2005 that the registration plates would be changed from "N" for Northern Province to "L" for Limpopo. Motorists were given five years to change the plates.

Current roads and transport MEC, Justice Pitso, on Sunday said the new registration plates were illegal.

"Our findings are that the new registration plates have no security features and have the old provincial logo," he said.

"We are faced with a very serious challenge because most people have already purchased them."

Pitso said the present registration plates would be cancelled and the process of issuing new plates would start afresh.

He said the department would resolve the matter before the end of next month and blamed officials for the problem.

Some, including Walter Sathekge, general manager for traffic management, have been suspended.
Only in South Africa... :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Belix

Post by Belix »

Zim economy worst in Africa
2007-4-3 15:03
Addis Ababa - Zimbabwe, wracked by years of political and economic woes, was Africa's worst economic performer in 2006, while Mauritania was best, thanks to oil exports, according to a UN study released on Tuesday.

The troubled southern Africa nation of Zimbabwe registered a negative 4.4% growth rate, ranking it the lowest performing economy, the UN's Economic Commission for Africa said in a report published in Addis Ababa.

"Economic performance in Zimbabwe remained negative ... owing mainly to political difficulties exacerbated by recurrent droughts," the report said.

Zimbabwe's inflation rate is now the highest in the world at 1 730% and forecast by the International Monetary Fund to climb to 4 000% by year end. Four out of five people are out of work and live in abject poverty.

On the other hand, high oil export prices helped Mauritania reach the study's top position with 19.4% growth.

Angola placed second, with 17.6%, while mineral exports helped Mozambique reach third place at 7.9%.

At the bottom of the ladder apart from Zimbabwe, the Comoros, Ivory Coast, the Seychelles and Swaziland exhibited the most dismal economic growth rates in Africa.

The report projected a 5.8% growth rate on the continent this year, a slight improvement from last year's 5.6% due to growing global demand for commodities such as oil, minerals and agricultural products.

But the spread of HIV/Aids, lack of diversity in exports and unpredictable weather, as well as inefficient public infrastructures and unreliable energy supplies could hinder the projected growth, it added.
source: AFP

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Belix

Post by Belix »

South Africa
Top US photographer 'critical'
2007-6-10 08:06
Cape Town - An international adventure photographer, who has survived working in war zones, is fighting for his life after his vehicle was hit by a rock in Cape Town, local newspapers reported.

US citizen Bobby Model, 34, who was visiting Cape Town from Kenya where he is based, was in a critical condition on life support in hospital, the newspapers said on Saturday.

Last year Model, 34, was named by the National Geographic Society as one of its "emerging explorers," an honor extended each year to "dynamic personalities who are making a significant contribution to world knowledge through exploration."

Model, who was from Cody, Wyoming, was being driven by his sister Faith, 32, when their vehicle was hit on Thursday afternoon near the Monwabisi resort, close to Khayelitsha, one of Cape Town's many sprawling poor township settlements.

Newspapers reported Faith's partner, South African Hans Pieter Bakker, as saying that the pair had been driving his pickup, when it was hit by "a chunk of concrete about the size of a melon."

The rock smashed through the windscreen and hit Model's head. His sister was not hurt.

According to one newspaper report, Susan Muller, spokesperson for Vergelegen Medi-Clinic, said Model was in the intensive care unit. "He is in critical condition. His sister has been at his bedside. I cannot tell you more than that."

Neither Muller nor police could not be reached for comment on Saturday evening.

Model had been in Cape Town for two days and was due to have left for Johannesburg on Friday.

Bakker said Model was in South Africa for a break. This was his first visit to Cape Town.

Earlier reports quoted police confirming the incident and said a case of attempted murder had been opened.

Many parts of Cape Town's busy highways have become notorious after spates of stone-throwing. Last year a man was killed after a brick was hurled through his windscreen.

A 1997 graduate of the University of Wyoming, Model began rock climbing as a young teenager.
You survive war zones to get killed by a rock thrown by some useless low IQ loser.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Belix wrote: You survive war zones to get killed by a rock thrown by some useless low IQ loser.

Oooh 2010 is going to be so much fun!
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

doo_much wrote:
Belix wrote: You survive war zones to get killed by a rock thrown by some useless low IQ loser.

Oooh 2010 is going to be so much fun!
:lol:
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
simmy

Post by simmy »

SAA loses Ernst's chair - again wrote:South African Airways (SAA) has issued a second grovelling apology to leading wheelchair athlete Ernst van Dyk for losing his custom made wheelchair and robbing him of a chance to win the New York Marathon.

The Stellenbosch-based world record holder and winner of the 2006 Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability arrived in the US last week to find that SAA had somehow misplaced his wheels again.

It emerged on Monday that Van Dyk's wheelchair was still at OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg.

Speaking from America on Monday, Van Dyk told SuperSport: "This was my one big opportunity to save a disastrous financial year after the SAA blunder in June cost me over 30 percent of my annual (prize money) income."

On that occasion, SAA had also not placed Van Dyk's wheelchair on board his flight.

"This (second) inability of SAA to deliver my racing chair has cost me 50 percent of my annual income out of prize money, around R250 000," he said.

Last night SAA flew his chair to New York as he was leaving the city to return home.

o This article was originally published on page 1 of Cape Argus on November 06, 2007

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 771C952452
Eish... what did he just say? wrote:A Xhosa praise singer has come under criticism for shouting that a cabinet minister had a large posterior, The Star reported on Tuesday.

The young unnamed praise singer compared Agriculture and Land Affairs Minister Lulu Xingwana, to a "chicken with a big bum".

This was at the launch of Land and Agrarian Land reform Project and Land rights awareness Campaign, at Rockhurst Farm near Grahamstown.

He was reported to have said: "Le ntombi inempundu ezinkulu ngathi yinkukhu ehleziphezu kwamaqanda (This woman with a big bum looks like a chicken sitting on eggs)."

The comment was a metaphorical context of a chicken sitting on a nest of eggs that would hatch with great benefits for the people.

It didn't go unnoticed by Xingwana who took to the podium and laughed it off, before commenting that praise singers could sometimes make harmful personal comments. - Sapa

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 877C875470
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

http://iafrica.com/news/sa/699997.htm
Gauteng finance and economic affairs MEC Paul Mashatile spent R108 000 for one dinner at a posh Santon restaurant in August 2006, this after he came under scrutiny for spending R96 000 at the same expensive eatery in June 2006, The Times reported on Monday.

Though Mashatile was questioned over the first ultra-expensive post-budget dinner, The Times revealed that Mashatile returned to Auberge Michel numerous times and, on 15 August 2006, surpassed the R100 000 mark.

Expense not declared

His department did not declare this expense and only came clean after an audit. The auditor-general described the omission as “an innocent clerical error”, The Times report said.

Mashatile now faces accusations of trying to cover-up his lavish spending of taxpayers' money.

His department told the legislature he spent R217 620 on his government credit card last year. But The Times says an audit of Mashatile’s expenses this year has found that he spent R408 685 last year — the limit on Mashatile's card is R400 000.

The Times report noted that this amounted to an understatement of R191 065 and that among the “omitted expenditures” was the R108 000 visit to Auberge Michel, during which Mashatile swiped his credit card twice. The first transaction at Auberge on 15 August was for R8018, the second, also on 15 August, for R100 211.

"Entertainment" spending

The department recorded Mashatile’s spending under “entertainment”.

Controversy over Mashatile's spending came to light last year when he hosted the R96 000 post-budget dinner at Auberge Michel on 26 June. His department said at the time that there was “nothing sinister” about his spending.

But the recently elected chairperson of the Gauteng ANC, and favourite to become the new premier of Gauteng, seems to have forgotten to include his R108 000 spending at Auberge Michel on 15 August when answering questions in the legislature last year about his spending, The Times said on Monday.

Mashatile's spokesperson Percy Mthimkhulu told The Times he would have to check his department's records before he could say what the function that cost R108 229 was for.
Oh, my word. SN24, please rip this guy apart.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

:roll:
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Jailbreaks a global trend, says Balfour

Star Article (Subscription required)
Correctional Services Minister Ngconde Balfour wrote:South Africans should not concern themselves too much when prisoners escape from correctional facilities, because this happens all over the world.
Wow, so we need not be concerned with rape, corruption etc because it happens in other places as well?

Why are we then trying to follow the law given by the government if elsewhere there are people openly defying the government?

Maaaan, this country is really getting more out of hand by the day...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
ichigo

Post by ichigo »

that is why the outside world thinks we as a country is a laughing stock.

the odd thing is the people who are spending so much with their money from parlament CAN"T EVEN SORT ESKOM OR OUR ELECTRICITY CRYSIS!!!!!

From my personal point of view is that the government takes us citizens as pawns.
What you see is what you want to see, but what you do see you can\'t

Baka Wa Shinanakya Naoranai
ichigo

Post by ichigo »

Most of the people that works in parliment are truly illiterate!!!!!!Our parliment is a JOKE!!!!!
What you see is what you want to see, but what you do see you can\'t

Baka Wa Shinanakya Naoranai
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

ichigo wrote:Most of the people that works in parliment are truly illiterate!!!!!!!
You are not doing a very good job of advocating literacy either.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Maybe he is a self confessed parliamentarian??
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

ichigo wrote: CRYSIS!!!!!
LOL, I lost marks in an English paper for spelling it that way :lol:

WATER CRISIS, THE PEOPLE RUNNING SA SUCK!

Some snippets from the Sunday Times:

"It's quite clear we're sitting on a time bomb... the water crisis is replicating the electricity crisis"

:roll:

- 43% of dmasmanaged by the Department of Water Affairs and Forestry have safety problems that require urgent repair.

-An estimated R180 billion is needed to replace the aging waterservice infrastructure countrywide, including major metro areas.

-Waste water from mining operations appears to have seeped into the country's groundwater system - a process known as acid mine damage - raising concerns about future water supply.

-Vegetables and fish collected in the Wonderfonteinspruit Catchment Area of west Johannesburg have been contaminated with radioactive uranium- and the national regulator is checking the meat and milk of cows grazing in the area.

-Water in the Wonderfonteinspruit area has also been contaminated by radioactive material, as well as by heavy meatals and salts.

"Immediate intervention" is needed at 30% of municipal waste water treatment works to prevent outbreaks of water borne diseases - such as the recent outbreak of Typhoid in Delmas.

Yup, so recently my delusion about the state of the country has been cured. Who votes coup?

I'm DEAD serious.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Irony Irony Irony.
I was just posting this on IRC, starting with "the water crisis is replicating the electricity crisis", then 2 seconds later my power got cut. :lol:
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

lol shame man just like when that important official lady (goverment or eskom i dont know her name and what not lol very helpful) was giving a speech an apology about the electricity crisis and the powercut and she had to give her speech in the dark in JHB lol
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

jamin_za wrote:
ichigo wrote:Most of the people that works in parliment are truly illiterate!!!!!!!
You are not doing a very good job of advocating literacy either.
Owned.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
capanno

Post by capanno »

ichigo wrote:the odd thing is the people who are spending so much with their money from parlament CAN"T EVEN SORT ESKOM OR OUR ELECTRICITY CRYSIS!!!!!
lay off the anime for a while man.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

capanno

Post by capanno »

hear hear! spot on! Now let me go get a banana for good measure.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Wow - what a letter :D
Forum Points: 25 618 :)