The Martial Arts Thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
TheDee

Post by TheDee »

Mainly Indonesian, also a bit of a mix apparently. I've never done it, but its quite big in the US. Read about it in a Tom Clancy novel, and then Googled it.

Looks cool!
jee

Post by jee »

Is silat not a combat sport? or perhaps I should not call it a sport... Am I correct to say that you use blades as part of your training? I also recall reading somewhere that it is bits of various disciplines and countries...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

I'm not to sure about that style.I like Chinese martial arts.The style you talking about I think is very brutal and deadly,used mainly for combat. I like the whole aspect of Kung-Fu,teaches both mind and body,makes you realise you are capable of things you didn't think you could do.Teaches you just how powerful the mind really is.
I want something good to die for, to make it beautifull to live - Queens of the Stone Age-Go with the flow
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I did martial arts for 8 years, it didn't help. A retarded monkey can beat me up.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

Let me guess,KARATE?
I want something good to die for, to make it beautifull to live - Queens of the Stone Age-Go with the flow
TheDee

Post by TheDee »

It's true that you use blades in training, but only once you're very advanced.

It's also one of those forms where you learn to integrate body and mind, with 'kata's' forming a very important part of your daily routine. It's supposed to keep you supple, etc.
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I did martial arts for 8 years, it didn't help. A retarded monkey can beat me up.
Some martial arts are sports designed to be used under controlled conditions (ie. in a dojo between two opponents subscribing to agreed-upon rules), others are used purely for combat. The common misconceptions are that either "all martial arts are practical in actual combat" or "all martial arts are purely sports".
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

Thats true thrall.My sifu always says that everyone should fight comps,cause it doesn't matter how much training you have,when you get into a real fight,the adrenaline takes over and you have to learn to control it,or all your training goes out the window.
Futs

Post by Futs »

Thats why in taikedo one must forget everything one learns so that it comes naturally.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I used to do Judo in the military. Thats very useful. Dont know how good I'm at it still, but I can remember a few cool moves to make a guy end up on his back- or face in some instances.

Also did SanSei GoJuRyu - It means 3rd gen Hard\Soft style. Yes Road_Kill, its a karate style. Only went up to blue though. This would definitely be one of the "sport" karate styles.

s
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

Futs wrote:Thats why in taikedo one must forget everything one learns so that it comes naturally.
That's quiet a good idea actually.We do this training,known as sticky hands,where you face each other and take each others hands,then by moving them around, try and get the other guy into a lock.It's best done blind folded,it teaches you to feel the other persons movements and work off it.At no stage are you allowed to use any sort of strength,it's extremely difficult at first,but the rewards are worth it once you start learning it.The best fighters are usually very good at this training.
capanno

Post by capanno »

If I could have the know-how of a martial arts it would be ninjitsu. I would never go for classes (if you can get them), cause its a lifestyle, and there's lots of spiritual shyte in it.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

All martial arts is a life style,well if you want to be really good at it that is. I know people who watch T.V while doing the splits,so they stay agile.I'm to lazy for that.
Futs

Post by Futs »

That one thing about any martial art one has to follow it as close to its roots as possible, Most of the top fighters/artist has a deep insight into it as a sport aswell as a whole.

One has to respect the form more then anything else, if you wanne get into it just to learn how to fight then it will be a waste of time, most of these guys tend to give up after about 2 to 3 years.

My karate career lasted over 8 years, until work sarted to interfere, I'm considering taking it up again as my reflexes has gone to shyte, I aint that agile anymore plus I miss the thrill of fighting someone on equil terms full out.
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

Why don't you look into doing another martial art?You've done Karate,so try something new.Plus karate is very power based,why not look into a more technical martial art?
Futs

Post by Futs »

and you would suggest?, I did TaiChi self training for a couple of months aswell, but that moved to slow.

Come to think of it I have done alot of martial arts in the past Karate is just the one that stuck.
I did Kenpo, Ninjitsu, WuShu and then karate.
All the others I did for less then 4 months each
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

My sifu doesn't really talk to the guys who have been there for less than 6 months,cause most of them leave before the time.Any martial art can be good depending on the instructor and the pupil.My sifu is pretty good,he was the youngest sifu in the country.He became a sifu at 17,that's damn immpresive,and at 16 he had already 3 black belts in 3 different styles of Karate and even in Judo,but he prefers wushu,cause it incorporates all the martial arts styles in it.For my first grading,we had I had to do more than I think in you do for your higher level Karate grades.It takes over 3 hours,and thats just the fist of 16 gradings,the forth takes about 6 hours,and you have to do ten fights in a row,each lasting 3 minutes,during those 3 minutes you have to succesfully perform certain moves,you have to tell him before hand exactly what you gonna do and where you going hit the person.It is freaking difficult,and that's only to get to your intermediate level,it's your last begginer grading.Wonder if I will ever get there.
Futs

Post by Futs »

Sounds tough, we had something simmilar to Sho-Dan grading. They grade you over an entire weekend to detirmine wether you have the comitment and spirit level to progress.

Our Sho-Dan gradin took just under 2 hours which is long, our fighting wasn't that long.
We had 1 fight of 5min continues to see wether you are fit or not, this is constant there is no stopping if you slack here you fail.
The other one we were devided into 4 teams consisting of 5 people each, we each then had to complete a 2 minute fight against a guy grading for his Ni-Dan.
I have never been beaten that hard in my life :P
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

Fighting requires a whole different level of fitness.Now fighting for half an hour is pretty intesnse,plus my sifu makes the guys do 50 push ups after each fight.We only have two people in our current class who have done it,a guy and a woman.There have been others,but they not there any more.That woman can kick some serious a$$,but the guy is evil,man,that guy punches so hard,that it feels like a bus hit you,and he moves so fast I can't even keep up with him.
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

Guess this is a good place to ask, anyone know of a kenjutsu dojo in or around pretoria?
I am the Hitokiri that makes it rain blood.....
- Himura Battousai.
B1u3dr4g0n

Post by B1u3dr4g0n »

hmmm.. you have no idea how much i long ot do some form of martial art... but i cant seem to find any good affordable ones in pretoria :( ... i'm desprate... does any one know of a good dojo? (no shotu-chun though ... i have my moral reasons not to like it...)
Knightman

Post by Knightman »

I did kurua kai up until blue 3 stripes that before brown then black.
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

kailinin wrote:Guess this is a good place to ask, anyone know of a kenjutsu dojo in or around pretoria?
well to answer my own question - i found a kenjutsu school in Randpark Ridge for any one else thats interested. Its affiliated to the one in Cape Town.
I am the Hitokiri that makes it rain blood.....
- Himura Battousai.
ArmatageShanks

Post by ArmatageShanks »

@Road_Kill: Do you go to the wushu school in Castle Street, CT (www.wushu.co.za)? I emailed them a few weeks asking about fees, but haven't gotten a reply yet. Maybe you could inform me, or maybe I should just phone them....
xchuckx has been flushed and respawned neo-nymbo
Evade

Post by Evade »

kailinin wrote:
kailinin wrote:Guess this is a good place to ask, anyone know of a kenjutsu dojo in or around pretoria?
well to answer my own question - i found a kenjutsu school in Randpark Ridge for any one else thats interested. Its affiliated to the one in Cape Town.
there a kenjutsu place in CT???
that'll b interesting :D
dnt suppose u no where?
walk the dark path, sleep with angels

-assassin of the pride-