What you just watched and thoughts on it

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ZeroS

Re: What you just watched and thoughts on it

Post by ZeroS »

fred_theninja wrote:weird that someone else also agrees that deathnote thats not in their top 10. it was good but the second half couldnt keep up with the first.

but toradora is great!
Most aspects after episode 8 or so humiliated the spectacular premise set by the start of the show. It's a brilliant show, in a class of it's own, but, after some reflection, the latter part of Death Note leaves so much to desire.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I’ve just finished watching the final episode of Vandread
Spoiler (show)
What happened was that the somewhere in the future the genders live on separate planets, each gender told horror stories about the other in order to keep them apart.
As the men are about to launch their latest battleship, its boarded by female pirates. Rather than suffer defeat at the hands of women, the men decide to destroy the ship. The women succeed in foiling the plan but in turn, they are deposited at the other end of the universe.
Three males were also transported along with the women unfortunately; they face a great enemy forcing them to put aside their differences in order to survive.
Anyway I really enjoyed the series, loved the Japanese language track, Vandread reminded me a lot of Martian Successor Nadesico and overall I’d give it 89%
Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

have to agree with you Azhure... I would also rate Vandread somewhere along the higher percentage...

it was one of my first ones and I enjoyed it a lot... plus the fact that it was mecha, which I love, made it just so much better...

just finished Death note and have to agree with the negative points pointed out here so far... I started watching it and couldn't feel satisfied without watching like 3 episodes... then it started to really get boring, knowing what will happen next and also the continuos loop of killings... got boring to the end where I barely WATCHED 1 whole episode...

pondering my next watch as I found some nice ecchi ones :D :D

busy downloading, then uploading and then downloading again :D
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I won’t take that much away from Death Note. It was not revolutionary but what it did, it did correct. I found it thoroughly entertaining actually, just not the best I’ve ever seen, and that does not make it bad. For its genre and number of episodes I just, like some of you, found it lacking the very thing which initially draw me to it in the first place, suspense.

If you need see a series that betters in areas in which Death Note fell short then you needn’t look further than Monster. From episode 1 to episode 74 it never once forgets its roots.

Anyway, I’m watching White Album. Think I’ll look into this Toradora everyone’s raving about a little later tonight too, see it’s almost complete anyway.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Completed season 1 and the OVA of Higurashi, and my head is overflowing with thoughts on the series.
The psychological allure of this anime is something that I would never have guessed resided in it. The manner in which each set of episodes reveal key elements, then to realise that each of these sets of episodes is a portion of a 3D puzzle, a box so to say, that contains "the secret of Hinamizawa" and finally the OVA provokes you with a proliferation of it's strongest point; suspense.
It keeps you guessing. Calculating. It reveals enough to expose the surface of the story yet never allows you to accurately pinpoint what will happen next, no, rather, how and why it happened.
Seemingly meek characters like Rika literally grates your mind with suspense when she gets serious, beguiling her otherwise childish demeanor, and then you get characters like Shion that twists a 180 on every preconception you had of her. There's just so much more to add about the characters, but, briefly; Shion was the most shocking chapter, Rika the most provocative - even though I hate her character profile - and Rena, the most satisfying.

The artwork as if it was drawn by someone with occasional blindness. Sometimes, it looks like eyeball ripping rubbish, and other times it looks 'normal', the non-interrupting kind. The music was decent enough, managing to pull the right notes at the right time for optimum effect.

The parasite themed ending didn't seem to suit the whole mystic theme throughout the series, but the OVA and little reflection mended the rift. I might be wrong, but, the parasites rely on the psychological status of it's host. Thus, despite it producing illusions to enrage it's host, if the host can suppress it by talking to friends - which is lame in a sense, but against a Japanese flavoured culture, it's not so - then the parasites won't be the one's in control. I have alternatives as well, but, this seems to be the most compliant theory.
Secondly, the parasites are able to clone hosts, in toto.
Their cognizance of everything in Hinamizawa is attributable to something mystic, which will be revealed in season 2.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

… Kana? –Kana? :P

Kai (Solution) is compulsory. Every question arc has an answer arc and you’ve now seen four question arcs and only two answer arcs. Kai exists solely to answer questions with the closing two answer arcs, Massacre and Festival Accompanying, both of which quite long and the closure of the first probably the best in the series (imo at least).

I also loved Shion’s chapter and yeah like you said, the visuals were a bit of a problem for me too but Kai fixes that thankfully. Have fun with the rest.

/ Watched some Toradora, not at all bad.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Just watched Kiss x Sis OVA, Exacly the same as ch1 of the manga. Can't wait for the second OVA, need moar twincest. Also just watched ep6 Sekirei. I'm afraid that its going to be too short, seeing that I'm halfway.

Also reading Kiss x Sis, Koaru to Nana and Sundome manga. Koaru to Nana = damn good. Sundome= wierd but I can't wait for next chapter. Kiss x Sis = nice read.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Last night I saw "Watchmen" and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a great movie.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

have been uploading stuff to MU and have had to re-dl them all to see if they uploaded correctly...

busy watching good ol Full Metal Panic TSR and before that it was FMA...
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

GreyWolf wrote:Last night I saw "Watchmen" and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a great movie.
Also watched the Watchen and that his two and a half hours of my life I will never get back... :(
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

thEnaileDonE wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:Last night I saw "Watchmen" and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a great movie.
Also watched the Watchen and that his two and a half hours of my life I will never get back... :(

Really? What are your criticisms?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Up to date with Toradora and Hajime no Ippo. Both good, loving Toradora.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Have seen much since my last post.

A quick overview:
Sekirei - Halted due to PC impotency
Mai Hime - This was lovely. Nice to hear spins on classical music pieces, but the lure of this show was the mid part emphatic drama. Properly brilliant. The ending didn't seem to be in tandem with events that lead to the ending, though like many other excellent anime out there, I'd have to overlook the ending and focus on the climax to truly savor the show. Great watch indeed.
Ikkitousen Great Guardians - Right. This has decayed so bad that even my unhealthy 'echi' obsession couldn't save it from being even remotely enjoyable. What happened to enticing premise set by the first season.

Currently indulging in Darker than Black and even though the story seems sparse, the pace is good enough to keep me hooked. Have hopes for this one.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

finished Trinity Blood on Wednesday and was kinda disappointed in the sudden ending. had a great climax to the "final" battle and then just p00000f, the end. overall it still wasn't too bad at all...

started Baku Tenshi again.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Done with Nijuu-Mensou no Musume. Had to make do with a Russian team’s Engrish subs for the last episode because L-E trolled their viewers leaving it pending for 6 months but ja, it was a good watch.

Done with Clannad After Story. Those who’ve seen AIR and Kanon should know what to expect from this show. So much more matured compared to its first season. Not only did it break your heart, it kicked you whilst you were down. Thinking back probably one of the most emotional and heartwarming shows I’ve seen. Plenty to chat about but I’ll leave things here for now.

Done with Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. This crazy show finally came to an end. Good stuff, as was expected.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Darker than Black complete. Not much flesh on the story but the characters were very appealing. The music was splendid as well. As entertaining as I hoped it to be.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

just watched the final episode of Battlestar Galactica.

was quite an interesting end to what was quite an awesome series.
VoxynQueen

Post by VoxynQueen »

Toradora.
Episode 25.

An brilliant conclusion to a fabulous series.

It was one of those rare series where although I knew at the start where it would end, I couldn't predict the route it would take to get there.
Loved all the characters. They seemed much more like real people than is the norm.

Man, I miss it already.
Go watch it if you haven't already.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

watched latest Bleach, Naruto and ep 50 of Soul Eater... cannot wait for 51 with the final battle at hand...

gonna get Toradora eps tonight and finish that one as well...
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Arashi no Yoru ni...

Was pretty good. I got a bit bored here and there, but I enjoyed it overall I guess :)

Damn, been a while since I last posted. The anime/manga section is dieing here :(
No more new threads and posts (interesting ones)...

Where are all of you guys hanging out now? :?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Life happens. Not watching anything right now.

Will be more active when I pick up more shows during April.
jee

Post by jee »

Talking about watching... (or reading) the manga and comics in Belgium are too stupendous for words! I came back with two Dutch comic series....
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
DreamStar

Post by DreamStar »

watching the bucket list and now i am thinking of old age
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

finished Busou Renkin and only started it today.

was definitely a good choice to start.

watched latest Heroes and House as well.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Completed Toshokan Sensou. Everything about this anime was excellent, from characters to artwork, but it lacked the ability to suck you in and felt like a casual watch. Enjoyable nonetheless.

Watched Kannagi and it was completely arbitrary and random. They could pretty much do anything they want with this show if they decide on a sequel. Slice of life, action, romance, comedy and even focus on a particular genre as well, and it would fit with it's wild card predecessor.

Currently checking Mai Otome, and what seems to be a Magical-Girl-cum-Sailor-Moon upgrade, I hope, at least, it matures into the fine tone that was Mai Hime.
Last edited by ZeroS on 04 Apr 2009, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.