Anime guide for noobs and where to get some

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

well may not be in the same level, but from what some of us have watched and have partially agreed upon for starters:

Full Metal Panic + FMP: The Second Raid + FMP Fumoffu
Sousei No Aquarion
Gundam SEED + Gundam SEED Destiny (these are bit long @ 50 each but still a good watch)
Chrono Crusade (a definite must)
Hellsing (watch the age restriction on this one)
Elfen Lied (another definite watch also with age restriction)
Furi Kuri aka FLCL
GoldenBoy
Trigun

These are a few that most of us have watched, and amongst us have agreed that they were good to very good in of course each ones own way...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

If you want to try get some anime locally I think your best would be BitFarm and/or the news servers but getting the NZB files from international NZB sites.

Also I agree with Elfen Lied...that is a must watch.
Ikkitousen + Dragon Destiny is pretty good.
I really enjoyed xxxHOLiC
Claymore was excellent
I thought Evangelion was amazing, but has a pathetic ending.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I'm down to episode 12 of Seirei no Moribito and I have to say this is one epic show. Got the DVD rips form Anime-Kraze but sadly there aint anymore as yet so I'll get the rest in .avi later the week, almost capped now lol.
Chermobil

Post by Chermobil »

Ok thanks for the help.

I will look for the titles that you suggested.

Have a nice week
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

http://animehomenetwork.com

Abuse it whilst it's still new. Ddl, single connection, single file only but at least you can max your line, it's not throttled.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I'm gonna get myself another 3 months of National Anime next month. It's $5 a month, but well worth it IMO. Since they are not only up to date with the new stuff, but they have tonnes of old and hard-to-find content as well.
9 FTP servers full - and lightning fast.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

My dislikes as far as most paysites are concerned though -

- mostly .avi limited
- single group releases only, which aint always the best choice

http://www.anime-revo.com/leon/dm/index.php
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Yes, I agree.

But torrents and most ddl's don't work through my ISA server at work and I'll be damned if I am killing my 3G cap on anime downloads!

I don't mind AVI anyway. And I am not put off by occasional spelling errors or incorrect grammar in subs.
Although all of NA's new stuff is coming in dual language MKV
I just downloaded Gantz uncensored with dual language - Japanese with subs, or English. Subbed by Lime. Nice work, too. Even the English voice acting, but I prefer subs over dubs.
Zana

Post by Zana »

hell to much for my bandiwdth, does anyone know any anime that has elves in?
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
pofadder

Post by pofadder »

Apologies if this is a repeat question, but can anyone guide me as to where I would be able to purchase a DVD of "Warriors of the Wind" by Hayao Miyazaki? Locally, if possible?
[Q8200│Asus mobo│4Gb Kingmax Ram│BFG 8800GT Sli│Corsair 750W PSU│X-Fi Sound│Samsung 22 inch]
ZeroS

Re: Anime guide for noobs and where to get some

Post by ZeroS »

Check AnimeWorx.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Ahzure

Re:

Post by Ahzure »

wikipedia wrote:Warriors of the Wind
A heavily edited and English dubbed version of the film was released theatrically in North America, shown on HBO and released on VHS by New World Pictures & Orion Pictures in the 1980s as Warriors of the Wind. According to Nausicaa.net, the voice actors and actresses were not even informed of the film's plotline and more than 30 minutes of the movie were cut from the film because New World felt that "the parts were slow moving"[5]. As a result, part of the film's narrative meaning was lost; some of the environmentalist themes were diluted as was the main subplot about the Ohmu, altered to turn them into aggressive enemies. Most of the characters were renamed (for example, Nausicaä became "Princess Zandra"). The cover for the VHS release featured a cadre of male characters, who are not part of the film, riding the resurrected God Warrior — including a still-living Warrior shown briefly in a flashback. It was released around the world under various different titles, such as Sternenkrieger (literally "Star Warriors") in Germany. It was rumored that June Foray provided the voice of Zandra, though this has been proven as untrue.

Many fans of Nausicaä, along with Miyazaki himself, dislike this version; Miyazaki suggested that people should put it "out of their minds."[5] Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki have asked fans to forget its existence and later adopted a strict "no-edits" clause for future foreign releases of its films. On hearing that Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein would try to cut Princess Mononoke to make it more marketable, one of Studio Ghibli's producers sent an authentic katana with a simple message: "No cuts"
Well that’s what wiki had to say about “Warriors of the Wind” So if you’re looking for the uncut version try AnimeWorx (As mentioned by ZeroS ), Look & Listen or Take2
nuku_za

Post by nuku_za »

Why would you want to watch Warriors of the Wind if you can watch Nausicaa?
Ahzure

Re:

Post by Ahzure »

Zana wrote: does anyone know any anime that has elves in?

Eden’s Bowy
Yorn gazes up at two massive cities floating in the sky and dreams of discovering their mysteries. Without warning, those mysteries come looking for him. Edenic assassins murder his father and Yorn is next on the hit list. A nameless old man and a mysterious young girl help Yorn on his quest to find his long-lost mother and the truth. Known as the God Hunter, Yorn leads a race against the dark designs of the technological overlords

Elf Princess Rane
Go Takarada, an enthusiastic young treasure hunter, he has always dreamed of big adventure. When he meets the Elf Princess named Rane, he gets one! He and Rane have an unfortunate language barrier of titanic proportions. He charges onward, blissfully unaware that his quest is actually totally different than what he thinks

Gestalt
Olivier, a young priest of the Vasaria order, has studied the legends of the god who lives on G, an island so forbidden that speaking its name is a curse! When Olivier saves a young mute girl from slavery, their destinies become intertwined. Together they set out to the island, but the girl is involved in her own deadly game of survival, and her enemies are everywhere!

Record of Lodoss War OAV+ Record of Lodoss War TV + Legend of Crystania movie

Since the first chapters debuted as a direct-to-video release in 1990, this sprawling sword-and-sorcery epic has delighted fantasy fans with its ancient prophecies, lost kingdoms, enchanted swords, dragons, and wizards. The tangled story line borrows heavily from The Lord of the Rings, the Star Wars films, and numerous other fantasy works. Six mismatched characters find themselves thrown together to protect the land of Lodoss from imminent destruction: Parn is the impetuous young warrior with heroic potential who typifies the genre; in place of the usual spunky girl, there's Deedlit, an elf with magical powers. They're joined by Etoh, a young priest and healer; Ghim, a dwarf-warrior with a heavy heart; Slayn, a wizard in training; and the rascally thief Woodchuck. Their allies include the dashing lord of a desert realm, a mercenary and her Berserker companion, and a benevolent, Arthurian king. They're pitted against an array of villains that includes human warriors, an evil sorcerer, dragons, kobolds, zombies, and Karla, the mysterious "Gray Witch"

Rune Soldier
Armed with Merrill's cunning, Genie's strength, and Melissa's prayers, this all-female band has no trouble raiding ancient ruins, unless a magic seals blocks the way. They set out to hire a magician, but all the magicians they meet prefer ereading to raiding-except Louie, a brash novice who seems to do better with his fists than his spells!

Slayers movie
In this prequel movie to the Slayers televison series, Lina Inverse travels to Mipross Island with her rival/traveling companion Naga the Serpent. While they originally came for the hot springs, they soon find them selves mixed up in a conspiracy involving a mazoku named Joyrock. Years ago, he killed all of the elves that inhabited the island and absorbed their power. They are soon joined by an old mage named Rowdy Gabriev, who was in love with one of the elves slaughtered and also wants to defeat Joyrock

ImageImage

Those Who Hunt Elves
An actor, a martial artist, a gun-crazy high school student, and their tank are transported from earth to a world of elves and magic. However, the spell to return them home was botched resulting in fragments of the spell being magicly imprinted onto their skin. Their solution: run around looking for elves and stripping them whereever they find them.

The following titles have characters that possess elf like traits or qualities :

Banner of the Stars I & Banner of the Stars II, Crest of the Stars
A race created by humanity to serve as a source of labor. However, eventually they rebelled and became independent. Thus, the Abh race was born. The Abh stay in sp
Thee Abh believe firmly in the use of genetic manipulation to improve the species and are characterized by their slim youthful appearance blue hair and pointy ears. One of the side effects of this genetic engineering is a very long lifespan, approximately 3-4 times that of a human being.

Elfen Lied
The title of 'Elfen Lied' was probably taken from the German song 'Elfenlied' ( written in 1837) by Eduard Mörike (1804-1875). The song plays on the similarity between the words for 'elf' and 'eleven', and takes place at eleven o'clock.
In 1888 the Austrian composer Hugo Wolf (1860-1903) set "Elfenlied" to music

The poem

Bei Nacht im Dorf der Wächter rief: Elfe!
Ein ganz kleines Elfchen im Walde schlief
wohl um die Elfe!
Und meint, es rief ihm aus dem Tal
bei seinem Namen die Nachtigall,
oder Silpelit hätt' ihm gerufen.
Reibt sich der Elf' die Augen aus,
begibt sich vor sein Schneckenhaus
und ist als wie ein trunken Mann,
sein Schläflein war nicht voll getan,
und humpelt also tippe tapp
durch's Haselholz in's Tal hinab,
schlupft an der Mauer hin so dicht,
da sitzt der Glühwurm Licht an Licht.
Was sind das helle Fensterlein?
Da drin wird eine Hochzeit sein:
die Kleinen sitzen bei'm Mahle,
und treiben's in dem Saale.
Da guck' ich wohl ein wenig 'nein!«
Pfui, stößt den Kopf an harten Stein!
Elfe, gelt, du hast genug?
Gukuk!

Translation:

At night in the village the watchman cried "Eleven!" (A pun: "Elfe" can also mean "elf")
A very small elf was asleep in the wood -
just at eleven! -
And he thinks that the nightingale
must have called him by name from the valley,
or Silpelit might have sent for him. (Silpelit is a character's name from an opera of Mörike's, "Eduard auf dem Seil")
So the elf rubs his eyes,
comes out of his snail-shell house,
and is like a drunken man,
his nap was not finished;
and he hobbles down, tip tap,
through the hazel wood into the valley,
slips right up to the wall;
there sits the glow-worm, light on light.
"What are those bright windows?
There must be a wedding inside;
the little people are sitting at the feast,
and fooling around in the ballroom.
So I'll just take a peep in!"
Shame! he hits his head on hard stone!
Well, elf, had enough, have you?
Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

The poem refers once to Silpelit (a name made up by Mörike) which in the anime is the term used to denote a Diclonius born from human parents.

Elfenlied (lit. "elf song")

I hope this might be of use to you.
Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
nuku_za

Post by nuku_za »

Rena from Star Ocean EX is an elf, is she not?
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Does anyone know where I can get some Blue Dragon anime that is not in mkv format
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:Does anyone know where I can get some Blue Dragon anime that is not in mkv format
Hmm, why dont you want them in an MKV?

Anyways, it seems like there was only 1 group that did it in English and they had a 720p and normal 400p release and they only released in MKV.
But what you can do is extract the audio and video as well as subtitles and place them into an MP4 container if that helps? Should work fine still, depending on what audio codec they used.

Otherwise an AVI container would also work, then just make use of a media player that allows you to use external subtitles as you obviously wont place the subtitle files into the AVI container.

You can give MKVToolnix a go to demux the MKV. Then try YAMB (Yet Another Mp4 Box) to remux it into an MP4 container.
Otherwise use VirtualDub to mux the audio and video into an AVI container and leave the subtitles seperate BUT name them the same as the video file (obviously not the extention).

Then use a media player like GOM Player or so and it will add the subtitles automatically. Although they wont look as nice and pretty as intended and will make use of a defauly font, but you can customise the subtitles to a certain extend.

Also it will be quick changing container as there shouldnt be any re-encoding needed.
Worst comes to worst its just the audio you might need to re-encode but that should be pretty quick and really easy! :D

If you need some more help you can PM me ;) :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Convert 50x episodes? /Rofl.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:Convert 50x episodes? /Rofl.
Its quick, it doesnt even take 2min to demux and remux.
If he had to re-encode the audio then just queue all 5 audio tracks up, re-encode them, which wont take long as its only an audio file and then remux with the new audio file.

I still dont see why he doesnt want them in an MKV container...

Spoiler (show)
NealeDeadlyAlien

Thanks Psyclown....

I will give you a PM later.

You see this is where I got my episodes from.
http://www.animea.net/

as I am a premuim member there. However I will briefly explain the problem.
I got the episodes from 1-14 in Eng which is fine. Then i got from 15-25 in JP which is even better however this is where the problem is. From epi 26 the formats are MKV which I thought was fine. However when you play it, The audio goes like 3x faster than the actual video and worst of all is the audio is dubbed into Hamster voices which somewhat makes it unwatchable.

Also on the site from epi 33 onwards there are no links for them so that makes things even better.

Psy.. Could you PM and give me links to some of these places so I can give it a bash. It will be extremely depressing for me if I cannot complete the series.

I also managed to find a site where I can buy the complete Series however they have to import it from USA as UK does not have it. Problem is, the Dvd's are NTSC region which will not work here in the UK.
So I don't really want to fork out £35 for something that might not work.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:Thanks Psyclown....

I got the episodes from 1-14 in Eng which is fine. Then i got from 15-25 in JP which is even better however this is where the problem is. From epi 26 the formats are MKV which I thought was fine. However when you play it, The audio goes like 3x faster than the actual video and worst of all is the audio is dubbed into Hamster voices which somewhat makes it unwatchable.

Also on the site from epi 33 onwards there are no links for them so that makes things even better.

Psy.. Could you PM and give me links to some of these places so I can give it a bash. It will be extremely depressing for me if I cannot complete the series.

I also managed to find a site where I can buy the complete Series however they have to import it from USA as UK does not have it. Problem is, the Dvd's are NTSC region which will not work here in the UK.
Hmm, well what media player are you using and codec pack?
Give K-lite mega codec pack a try and then use Media Player Classic to play the MKV files (Media Player Classic comes standard with K-lite mega codec pack)
Also I normally goto the fansubbers site and get my stuff directly off there either via IRC, torrents or DDL or try get some RS links otherwise my last resort is normally checking isohunt or googling for a torrent or looking for an NZb to get it off the newsservers.
I see Oedipus have an IRC channel but it seems dead... They dont seem to have a website either...

I actually cant find anything for Blue Dragon :| Nothing complete... :-/

Spoiler (show)
Augur

Post by Augur »

I'm sure this must have been mentioned already but I would like to say it again...

If you're looking for Bleach or Naruto there should be no other place to look than the official Dattebayo site. They Sub it and in my experience (I have every single episode of both) they are fast, reliable and FIRST! You can usually get it by the following morning.

Bleach airs on Tuesdays (as of last week) and Naruto on Thursday 8)

Beware the Trolls :twisted:
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Augur wrote:I'm sure this must have been mentioned already but I would like to say it again...

If you're looking for Bleach or Naruto there should be no other place to look than the official Dattebayo site. They Sub it and in my experience (I have every single episode of both) they are fast, reliable and FIRST! You can usually get it by the following morning.

Bleach airs on Tuesdays (as of last week) and Naruto on Thursday 8)

Beware the Trolls :twisted:
OK...
But there are plenty of other sites that host their releases ;)
Also their releases are avalible on warez sites and free anime DDL sites and on usenet.etc

You dont have to get it off the official DB site as it gets mirrored all over the place.

Spoiler (show)
Augur

Post by Augur »

PsyClown, True, but it's free fast and first :D

I want my fix ASAP *grin* (I have nothing against the mirrors but if the original is free then why go to the middle man - unless you don't want to use a torrent that is)
NealeDeadlyAlien

PsyCLown wrote:
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:Thanks Psyclown....

Hmm, well what media player are you using and codec pack?
Give K-lite mega codec pack a try and then use Media Player Classic to play the MKV files (Media Player Classic comes standard with K-lite mega codec pack)
Also I normally goto the fansubbers site and get my stuff directly off there either via IRC, torrents or DDL or try get some RS links otherwise my last resort is normally checking isohunt or googling for a torrent or looking for an NZb to get it off the newsservers.
I see Oedipus have an IRC channel but it seems dead... They dont seem to have a website either...

I actually cant find anything for Blue Dragon :| Nothing complete... :-/
The thing is I am using Kodec pack with MP however still cannot get around it. Lol i don't bother try using torrents cause most of them don't have anymore peers/seeds so no point trying. The thing is with this site I use megaupload inwhich the download doesn't need seeds/peers to download. So basicly when downloading I get about 800kb when using Megaupload however torrents I will be lucky if I get 10kb.

Is there absolute nowwhere of obtaining these. I really wanna finish watching them.