Elfen Lied

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
jee

Post by jee »

Have to agree with you Jane..
I have it as a permanent on my playlist.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

I think it was Nuke, or maybe Rayne, or maybe even Zell that asked me the once if I have it... I was like straight into every downloading program I have on my pc and finally got it...

That one, extended version, and one of the first intro's of Bleach is on my list...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
hexXie

Post by hexXie »

me too! love it.
Everyday, I browse the forums just to make sure that there still are people more pathetic than me.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I remember asking my friend (Ashley) to order the DVDs for me, back in 2005. After spending R720 I received the boxset (Artbox; Vector1, 2, 3, 4) by December 2005. She wanted to know why I preordered Elfen Lied without having seen a single episode and made this expensive purchase solely based on word off mouth? The DVDs (still shrink-wrapped and unopened) were given to Ashley.
Anyway she returned my DVDs a month later and said “It’s a tender tale of love, redemption and reconciliation punctuated with blood-curdling suspense and violence. The nature of Lucy/Nyu's attacks, coupled with her unpredictable amnesia, death can come in an instant and at any moment; this means that at no stage do you feel that any given character is safe in her presence, not even the main characters. Awesome title, too bad I have to return it.”

I got a call from her this morning saying that she got a package from the post office. It was her Elfen Lied Thinpack , she got hers from the same online retailer were she bought mine 2 years ago. She paid R210 (shipping included)
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

I started to watch Elfen Again last night... no disappointments here man.
What is in about the anime genre ?, It is maybe because it is so different to our own realities in this country, or is it maybe because we are fd this American bullcrap all the time (don't get me wrong, American animation is good - but it just does not suffice when I need to get some serious action)
Temporary Absence
liep

Post by liep »

I saw some other ppl also mentioning but jsut had to say it again, its one of the VERY few anime whos intro song I really liked. And I don't see why ppl are so hung up over the violence, if you really go look at the amnt of time spent on violence vs story line it fits pretty decently to me.

I just really liked the show, the characters changed and grew the way u hoped. The ending was fairly happy/open ended other than the usual "zomg everyone dies". Also one of the few animes that brings a bit of moistness to the eye as well as make u laugh.

As for the nudity its really pg16'ish with only the basics not really something explicit and certainly FAR from erotic, also its not senseless the fact that they could turn almost anything into a potential weapon would explain nude confinement.

Oh and the title elfen lied, I dunno about elves but the "horns" they have do set them apart from normal ppl and gives them a certain "mythical" status, so in my view I'd say the title is a summary of the plot where u have a foreign(albeit they where just genetic acidents or w/e) creature making a debut in human society and the effects of that.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Still remains the best I've seen. The only show I've thus watched in one sitting, just couldn't get myself to stop.

A very sad and thought provoking tale it was. Your friend summed it up pretty well Ahzure.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

You will find alot of Elfen Lied fans here. I also have the boxset.(the first anime dvd I brought was V1+artbox.)

btw you should get your friend to join too, I'm sure we will have long discutions on Elfen Lied and Evangelion :wink:
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Firstly there is very little I can say, people like Nuke; Off-The-Chart and Rayne have covered almost everything in these 8/9 pages.

The torrents of blood, severed limbs and dismemberment. It wasn’t the violence that first grabbed my attention it was at the end of the first episode when I heard the closing/ending theme (Be Your Girl" by Chieko Kawabe)
and read the lyrics that I decided that I have to finish watching Elfen Lied in one sitting.

As the story unfolded and we learned more about Lucy, I hoped that somehow she and Kouta would end up together (I love dark and violent stories with romance) I’ve played back the scene were Lucy and Kouta meet for last time (the confession, the kiss, the flashback and embrace) more times than I can count, I’ve noted the differences between English dialogue, the original dvd’s subtitle track and fansub for this scene as well. In the end I’ve found that the fansub does a better job at convening the importance of this scene.

One thing that I’m missing is the OVA; I’ve since learned that ADV Films has licensed the OVA but there is no release date yet. They are probably trying the get the cast of English dub to reprise their roles. It’s at this point were I have to disagree with Ashley when she comments on the English dub. She says” The English voice actors acquit themselves well, but I’m singling out Kira Vincent-Davis as the voice of cynical, battle-hardened Lucy and also the innocent, blameless Nyu. There is a definite distinction between these personalities and she manages to nail them perfectly. “
Well I felt that ADV Films and English cast has done better work on other projects and that it’s the Japanese voice actors who carry the series.
An interesting fact about Elfen Lied is that ADV Films said the series was one of their best-selling and most notorious releases of 2005.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yep, it was a test series originally, released uncut simply to analyze the viewers response.

Personally hated the English dubs though.

I too want that OVA, if only just to have it. The dialogue between the imprissoned Lucy and Kurama was one of my favs from the show.

Must actually watch this again some time...
Nolo

grave mistake of watching anime in english

Post by Nolo »

I watched and finished it
All i can say is that it
was disapointing maybe if
i watch it in japanise and
with english sub title ... i may
enjoy it... I think also its not a
good idea watching Elfen Lied
after Gantz or Naruto they kind
of spoil it....
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

*Dismembers Nolo*
Futs

Re: grave mistake of watching anime in english

Post by Futs »

Nolo wrote:I watched and finished it
All i can say is that it
of spoil it....
hehe anime b00blet, Elfen is one of the best anime's of it's time
SoulBlade

Re: grave mistake of watching anime in english

Post by SoulBlade »

Nolo wrote:I watched and finished it
All i can say is that it
of spoil it....
Please don't compare apples with pears.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

The dubs suck IMO. I watch 5 min of it in english and hated it.
Gantz or Naruto
Something can only be spoiled if you try to compare it to something that is better than it. So Gantz or Naruto can't spoil Elfen Lied. :P

Btw Futs wtf is a "b00blet" ? :twisted: Had to much H?
Nolo

Hey Hey

Post by Nolo »

I have watched a lot
of anime but Elfen lied
failed to leave a mark on me

I will watch it again maybe I will
c wat you c

Its not the same as tenchi muyo
Know dat one of favourite anime of
all time

It just goes with taste

With elfen lied i was expecting
some thin great
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Rayne dismembered you - why come back...
LOL
Dude , myself and quite a few of the anime fans on this site WILL NOT agree with your futile statement, Elven has left us all with a beautiful surreal memory.
(Also don't say that again otherwise Rayne might really come to your house)
Temporary Absence
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

well Elfen left a good mark on me, as it was the first anime I bought Full Version 1 shot after watching it...

I have only watched 1 or 2 dubbed series, being Golden Boy, Furi Kuri and Chrono Crusade and they were all pretty well done for me...

as a start, I will never watch a dubbed version until I have finished the subbed...

Elfen to me was just 1 of the most intriguing (spelling) series I will ever have watched...
after Elfen, the most anime I have watched is all just based on action/drama/comedy with a mild storyline... yes they were enjoyed, but not to the extent of Elfen...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I enjoyed Elfen as well... :P All the blood mmmm :P :wink:

( does have a brilliant story as well somewhere, you just have to look for it) :wink: :P :lol:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

yeah Elfen actually has a compelling story with proper character progression, tension and all the rest. Say what you want, it is the best.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
AnArKi

Post by AnArKi »

Watched Elfen Lied awhile back so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy, but what I will say is that it is definitely memorable. I can't say that's it's own of my personal favourites but I will admit that it did make an impression.
Asus-K8N4-E Delux Socket 754
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ CPU
Colorful GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCIe
250 GB Seagate SATA II HDD
1GB DDR400 RAM
Acer AL1916W LCD Monitor
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

It’s quite fascinating to see that there is a market for hentai versions of our favorite anime series such as Neon Genesis Evangelion; Cowboy Bebop and Love Hina.
Ashley tells me that you even get a Draganball Z – Sailormoon crossover called Sailor and the 7 Ballz. I guess the issue around licensing and copyright laws is a little vague

But my question is this; last year a hentai title was released entitled Elfen Laid, dare I ask is this the hentai version of Elfen Lied?

I do apologize if I happen to “drag things into the gutter” with this post.
deadhands

Post by deadhands »

Watched Elfen Lied quite some time back, but what i remeber is that it is really good. Definitely one of my favourite animes
Cure

Post by Cure »

Was a good anime, quite violent too and thats always a plus. Difinitely one of the better anime series.
But my question is this; last year a hentai title was released entitled Elfen Laid, dare I ask is this the hentai version of Elfen Lied?
Sounds interesting, and might I add mildly disturbing.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

The title Elfen Laid is quite misleading; Kitty Media (Media Blasters hentai label) just wanted to cash in on the notoriety surrounding Elfen Lied. By making use of colorful pop culture references or puns they’ve succeeded in attracting the attention of potential customers. A friend helped in making this list.
H = Hentai
P = Pop culture reference or Pun

Gold Throbber (H)
Austin Powers in Goldmember (P)

Horny Ladies and the News (H)
Huey Lewis and the News (P)

Foxy Nudes (H)
Fox News (P)

Do You Know the Milfing Man? (H)
Do You Know the Muffin Man? (P)

The Hills Have Size (H)
The Hills Have Eyes (P)