Creation & Evolution OFFICIAL DEBATE

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
rustypup

Re: Creation & Evolution OFFICIAL DEBATE

Post by rustypup »

KatrynKat wrote: there is plenty of these is the digestive tract and we who don't have appendices are doing fine without them!
yeah... fine.... except for the candida... :lol: (too much?)

every time your digestive system is flushed, you're primed to fall prey to the opportunist bugs which hang around there... it has been proven that those of us who are still "whole" bounce back a damn sight quicker than the amputees...

of course, you could also just glug pro-biotic, (unflavoured), yoghurt for the same effect....

as previously stated, appendicitis finds its roots in poor diet, exposure to anti-biotics/chlorine/heavy metals and dehydration... or just plain bad luck...

for the record, i still have my tonsils/appendix and have had zero issues... aside from not getting flu at the drop of a hat, which is just unfair... :/
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

rustypup wrote:for the record, i still have my tonsils/appendix and have had zero issues... aside from not getting flu at the drop of a hat, which is just unfair... :/
Yup, same. I've always wondered about the uses of the appendix and tonsils, since almost everybody I know doesn't have them.

I still have absolutely everything (even my wisdom teeth), was never subjected to anti-biotics, have never had one disease (chicken pox, measles, mumps, all those things...) and very seldom get flu. All the liquor could play a part, my body probably isn't a very hospitable host... :lol:
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

:( i have none: appendix, tonsils and wisdom teeth
do get sick but not that much, touchwood, this year

i am a miracle baby and maybe thats why i do have a few problems....

there are always 2 sides to a story and situation....... u can't be on both sides
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol: while-person high five!

tonsils are, not surprisingly, quite important when it comes to both digestion and immune response...

they act as the initial trigger to bootstrap the immune system.. once missing, the infection has generally already taken hold by the time the immune system kicks in...

they have also recently been linked to digestion in that they have been shown to affect bile/insulin production..

sadly, if they're not kept clean they tend to do what every other part of the body would do..... become infected and problematic... (also due in part to dehydration, breathing through the mouth, etc.....)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:every time your digestive system is flushed, you're primed to fall prey to the opportunist bugs which hang around there... it has been proven that those of us who are still "whole" bounce back a damn sight quicker than the amputees...
What constitutes a flushing of the system?
And when/how are you you judged to have bounced back?

My digestive system is pretty resilient. Yes it has its hiccups, especially when new and exotic substances are introduced to it. But it generally functions with predictability and efficiency.
Considering my diet is nowhere near healthy and consists almost entirely of starch, fat, sugar and whatever raw materials constitute late night bunny chows - I think it does a marvellous job despite not having a dangling pink worm hanging off it.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

i just avoid the food that don't agree with me...... other than that i'm good...

but i think its time to get back to the real topic of this thread!!!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Where is the connection made between a reverence for nature and a full blown religion that include rituals and deities?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i see we're back to discussing your dangling pink worm again... :lol:

you'd function just as efficiently without pinky fingers... are they also superfluous?
KALSTER wrote:Where is the connection made between a reverence for nature and a full blown religion
here..
jee

Post by jee »

Which is more dangerous, that religious beliefs force some people to choose between knowledge and myth or that pointing out how religion can purvey ignorance is taboo?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

From the above link: "Only 33 percent of Americans agreed that “the universe began with a big explosion.”. Well I don't agree with that either, because that is not what the big bang was. Why are the scientifically inclined asking the question in such a stupid way?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
jee

Post by jee »

probbly because that makes it easier for the man in the street to understand?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Anakha56 wrote:/which thread I wonder... Easily Offended? Creation vs Evolution? Or this one?

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... tml?ref=hp
Long-Neglected Experiment Gives New Clues to Origin of Life

A classic experiment that has sat on the shelf for more than a half-century is yielding new clues about how life may have arisen on Earth, according to a team of scientists that has gone back and analyzed the data with modern techniques.

In 1952, Stanley Miller of the University of Chicago in Illinois and his colleagues conducted one of the most famous experiments in all of science. They repeatedly sent electric sparks through flasks filled with the gases thought to resemble Earth's early atmosphere, including water vapor, hydrogen, methane, and ammonia. After 1 week of near-continuous zapping, the simulated lightning had converted a substantial portion of the gases into organic compounds, including several of the amino acids needed to produce proteins, indicating that this might be how life began on our planet.

In the next few years, Miller and his colleagues repeated the experiment with the same lab equipment and procedures but with different sets of gases. For some reason, the results of the experiments were shelved but not analyzed, surfacing again only after Miller died and colleagues began poring through his archives. In 2008, researchers reported the results of one of those experiments, in which the half-century-old residues yielded 22 amino acids, 10 of which hadn't been detected in the original 1952 experiment.

Now, researchers have analyzed the results of another of Miller's studies, one conducted in 1958. In that research, the team sent sparks through a mixture of methane, ammonia, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen sulfide. These gasses may have been similar to the noxious blend spewing from early volcanoes, and thus they may have been more representative of the environment in and around volcanic plumes than the gasses used in the 1952 experiment. The resulting dried sludge has been stored in glass vials inside cardboard boxes and kept at room temperature for more than 50 years.

Organic chemist Henderson "Jim" Cleaves of the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington, D.C., and his colleagues have now analyzed that sludge using modern techniques and instruments that are more than 1 billion times more sensitive than the methods used by Miller in the 1950s.

Their results, reported online today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, suggest that the 1958 experiment produced 23 amino acids, including six that contained sulfur. The residue samples included nearly equal proportions of left-handed and right-handed versions of several amino acids, a sign that the organic chemicals had been generated during the experiment and not by microorganisms that had somehow made their way into the sealed glass vials. Living cells use and produce only left-handed versions of amino acids, Cleaves says.

Not only did the newly analyzed experiment yield more amino acids than did the one conducted in 1952, two of the sulfur-containing amino acids produced in Miller's 1958 experiment—cysteine and methionine, which weren't found in the results of the 1952 experiment—play particularly important roles in biological processes, says Nicholas Hud, a biochemist at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, who was not affiliated with the team. Moreover, he notes, "it's difficult to believe that life as we know it wasn't incorporating sulfur-containing compounds early on."

In addition to the sulfur-containing amino acids, the 53-year-old residues contained threonine, leucine, and isoleucine, amino acids important for certain biological processes that weren't detected in any other electric-discharge experiments that Miller conducted.

The presence of hydrogen sulfide in the 1958 experiment seems to have played a key role in producing the wealth of prebiotic chemicals Cleaves's group found, says Hud. And although researchers still argue about the precise composition of Earth's early atmosphere, most agree that volcanic eruptions would have contributed hydrogen sulfide, he adds.

The origin of life is a hotly debated topic, and the source of the prebiotic chemicals in Earth's so-called primordial soup is one of its enduring mysteries. Some researchers have argued that life could have begun around deep-sea hydrothermal vents, where a warm, chemically active, and mineral-rich broth spews from the ocean floor. But the new analyses—like many of Miller's previously reported results—hint that many of those substances could have formed in the lightning-riddled, steam-filled plumes of volcanoes.

However, the new analyses also suggest that the chemicals could have fallen to Earth in meteorites, Cleaves says, because the relative amounts of amino acids produced by Miller's 1958 experiment and those found in certain carbon-rich meteorites are intriguingly similar.
Posted here so the debate as to which came first may happen in the correct thread...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

-Prometheus-: Please explain to the rest of us how creationism follows the scientific method.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

yeah i wouldnt read that dude, its too long, it has not peer reviews and only one author. Though i'd take his word for it as he is a professor in jewish studies for the religion side.

And what question did i ignore ? D:
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

-Prometheus- wrote:He makes an interesting argument in it.
no... he doesn't... he makes an interesting humorous stab at an argument while at the same time stating quite clearly his argument is so much swiss cheese he'd have trouble getting it to hold air, let alone logic...
The first methodological consideration has to do with the use of the term “science” and the logic of truth claims within the sciences. There is no single definition of the term “science” that can be adequate for all uses of it by all so-called “scientists” at all times and in all places.
[BabelFish]I'm getting ready to redefine the meaning of the word 'science' to support my argument[/BabelFish]
I will select what I consider to be logically the best and politically the most influential views.
[BabelFish]I will be cherry picking those facts or arguments which support mine and pretending the rest doesn't matter[/BabelFish]
In this paper I will focus on the presentation of intelligent design by Michael Behe in Darwin’s Black Box2. His argument rests on certain scientific claims he makes. I will accept them at face value, i.e., I assume that the presented generalizations are stated correctly and are based on accepted methods of research in biology. (I, trained in philosophy, cannot in this respect function as a judge.)
[BabelFish]I'm going to be blabbing about something about which I have no knowledge, but that's not going to stop me putting my oar in because it's how hippies like myself make our living[/BabelFish]
A recent PhD. Dissertation written by my student Michael Valle (completed in 2004) presents a rigorous and thorough logical analysis of this new kind of philosophical design argument that is based on post-Holocaust invocations of a principle called “the hiddeness of God.”
[BabelFish]I'm such a great teacher, even my students are accomplished producers of wishful thinking![/BabelFish]

this is precisely the sort of run-of-the-mill twaddle we've been exposed to countless times before and quite in keeping with the creationists grasp of the scientific method - ie, laughably tenuous.

for your personal edification, the scientific method is:
  • 1) Observation - You spot a pattern
    2) You develop a hypothesis which describes the pattern
    3) You use the hypothesis to make a prediction about the pattern
    4) You test the prediction
    5) You evaluate the results of the test in a structured manner, describing methodologies, controls and sources.
    6) You confirm or disprove the hypothesis
this process is iterative and ongoing. new observations or failed hypothesis tell us as much as successful results. the peer review process you so casually poo-poo is an integral part of this.

now let's check the ID/creationist "scientific" method:
  • 1) There is a God
    2) His word is law
    3) Everything happens because of magic
    4) You will accept there is a God or you will spend all eternity having your private parts pricked by smelly demons!
hmmmm how do we overcome this disparity? i know, let's bleat and clamour as much as possible and as publicly as possible about how the two methods are identical!

right...

creationism is bunk. there is no magical sky fairy. organised religion is a farce. big surprise.

we could go on and talk about group psychosis and how religion is designed to exploit socially bent brains to get us to play along, but that strikes me as being somewhat beyond this discussion and probably a foreign country for most.
Last edited by rustypup on 30 Mar 2011, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

the holes in evolution you say?

well the major hole is that we havent been able to create life in a lab in the method we proposed how life started. As i said in the begining i've seen evolution with my own two eyes, when i did antibiotic resistances on bacteria in an agar plate. You creationists doubt the theory because it puts a stake right through your 'gods' heart and you refuse to change from your comfortable beliefs.

Is it really so hard to say if bacteria can evolve why it is impossible for human cells to evolve. Since there is micro-evolution there will be macro-evolution because your complex life is made up of microscopic cells. Remember to create evolutionary change only one cell has to change and that is one of the two reproductive cells, so long as the gene is dominant or both are recessive that change will show. Once those fuse and the zygote is formed every cell after that will have the same genetic code (exclude radiation and neoplastic agents).

Lets look at it this way. I have very strong evidence showing evolution, if you say that virons and bacterium dont evolve then all i can say is that you sir are retarded. Archaeology has shown genetic similaries from fossils and today's creatures but definite changes. You sir have yet to show me the orgins of your 'bible', you have nothing but blind faith to show your god's existance. The simple ideas outlined in christianity are ludicrous. Heaven or Hell for eternity? nothing lives forever this is just some escape that the ancients needed because they refused to believe that at the end of their insignificant lives there is nothing.

Everything your bible states is a fable. I might be wrong here because i obviously dont know christianity as well as you cause i dont orgasm over it, however i think it says god gave the 10 commandments to man in stone tablets, if so where are these tablets? dont say indiana jones found them and the US government is hiding it in a warehouse!

The only reason people follow this stupidity is because it provides an answer for the most difficult questions, and the average person is contempt with the satisfaction of "knowning" these answers, its simplistic and easy to follow. That is why religion is big. Do you honestly believe that prince harry is a decendant of god? because your kings and royal families are thought to have holy blood that is why a king is sworn in by the church.

let me show you how ridiculous your views look:

"whats the meaning of life? oh to serve god and go heaven for an eternity"
"where did i come from? god made you"
"Where did planet earth come from? god made it"
"My dog died why am i sad? god wanted your dog's soul and he made you sad"
"why ...? dont ask questions the answer is god"
"Why must i follow the teachings of this book? cause god wrote it"
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

RiaX wrote:...and the average person is contempt with the satisfaction of "knowning" these answers, its simplistic and easy to follow. ...
O/T, I think you mean "content"

Sorry for being pedantic.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

lol yes thanks i meant that :oops: :oops: :oops:
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

-Prometheus- wrote:
rustypup wrote:[hurr-durr]
[/hurr-durr]
*sigh*... this is what we're reduced to?... the intellectual equivalent of 4 year olds...
-Prometheus- wrote:I'll treat you the same as I treat all fundamentalists.
:lol: best yet... just delightful.. if this statement is accurate, i must profess to being puzzled over how you manage to shave...

don't worry pooky-bear, i'm sure satan still loves you... :wink:
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Actually the only one thats ignorant is you, your anger and die hard believe in stories blind you. You cannot counter the ridiculing points that rusty and I have made thus you are resorting to anger and completely disregarding what i've tried to explain, like a tortoise putting its head in its shell

You keep saying "can you see the fallacies in your arguement?" over and over as a counter point, how about POINT THEM OUT WITH EVIDENCE. You sir will make a terrible scientist. All i see when you try and counter the points we make is "na uh na uh na uh" like a five year old child, then blindly claim "I am right you are wrong" and yet you have the audacity to say that i am ignorant?

Specifically point out the fallacies you have a problem with. Whether you believe evolution is non-existant, you have a problem with the primordial soup, left vs right handed amino acids, protien formation, macro and micro evolution. What is it you have a problem with?

Lets review for a second:

This is what i've claimed:

1) Evolution exists - My evidence is environmental adapation, bacteria forming new organelles to combat antibiotics for survival, same with virons (influenza is typical hence why there is a new vaccine every year)
2) Amino acids can be created in a lab, evidence Stanley Miller's experiment done in the late 50s
3) Genetic Selection showing that better and improved genes will move forward as dominant, Evidence Mendel's experiment on rose plants and pea pods
4) Amino Acids conjugate over time forming protiens. Evidence chemical properties of amino acids (zwitter ions) forming charged poles, forces of nature that illustrate opposite poles will attract (common physics)
5) Archeology. Evidence used fossils dug up have genetic similarities to the decendant creatures, African elephant vs Woolie mammoth. Carbon dating to quantify the period of their existance.
6) Evolutionary changes are mapped due to the ever changing atmosphere of planet earth (adaptation). Evidence for this genetic mapping found from fossils vs atmospheric history recorded in the antartic ice (if you didnt know the ice in the antartic keeps a detailed record of the composition of the earth's atmosphere, just like how the solidified molten rock in strata keep records of the earth's magnetic field)

Put these points together and they form the theory of evolution, in its simplist form. The examples i use may not be the best but they the ones i know of. Of course they are listed in order with 1 being the most important to 6 being the least. So now i will let you have your say, show me EXACTLY what you have a problem with and counter my arguement with proper evidence, as i said to a scientist religion is nothing but blind faith "pray hard enough and maybe you can fly"

Now i dont mean to belittle you but the way you are disregarding everything is vexing. If you wish to actively debate to broaden your knowledge you have to approach every topic with an open mind, you sir have already decided that the way of the cloth is correct and true and everything else is heresy. Now for my final point, if we arent suppose to doubt god and follow god's teachings why is it there are so many religions (you cant be so arrogant to claim that ONLY christianity is correct, if you do then i am correct you are nothing but a slave to the cloth) ? secondly if we are suppose to be servants of god why has god given us (by your logic) the will and intelligence to learn and understand and EVOLVE into the technology dependent species we are today?

Oh and btw i can already see your response "my belief in evolution blinds me"
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

wow dude you really are fail huh.

Nice move on the whole qur'an thing thats some good slander to try and discredit me, you still make a bad scientist but at least you will make a good politician.

Secondly they are ridiculing points but that doesnt mean they hold no value we are mocking your type of views because they are REALLY THAT STUPID. That is how you type and how we read it so we just made it easier for you to see it.

Lol so you basically saying im lying ok well done as i recall im the one with the evidence next....

No no no its not me making my points in that manner its you just going "you wrong" then when prompted for what you think is correct the answer is "i dont honestly know" resulting in a big waste of time :/ , like that noob fellow sitting on his couch swearing the players on the field and telling them how to play when he cant play himself.

Ok the fallacies i will give you that, but i know what the word means ok my typing is a bit faulty. What i meant is you are seeing problems with my arguement so point them out instead of repeating the same thing twenty times, im asking you to show me what i am misunderstanding.

Finally once again you have shifted the focus away from the topic at hand to slander your opponent to try and prove your point, pathetic i must say. The matter is evolution vs creation not prometheus vs riax ok , anyways i would so win there lol 8)