the (mainly) non-Christians thread.

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: the (mainly) non-Christians thread.

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:
So has anyone contacted the loon who started this? Want to know if he still feels special...
He has gone into hiding for now. Of course, the best thing for him to do is probably just to stay in hiding. Perhaps people will eventually believe that he has been raptured.

I'm sure his radio station will be inundated with calls tomorrow.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

lol now that would be a good move. Change his identity and move
jee

Post by jee »

Tribble wrote:lol now that would be a good move. Change his identity and move
then get a nose job and a new suit and start the next rapture...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Absolutely!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I hear that the building where his radio station is housed was vandalized late Friday / early Saturday. Caused like $25k damage.

Does anyone else find it interesting that, whilst he happily accepted his followers quitting their jobs and selling all their assets to fund the promotion campaign for judgement day he didn't do so himself?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Re: the (mainly) non-Christians thread.

Post by Anakha56 »

jamin_za wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
stop this immediately!
Lulz :lol:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Stuart wrote:I hear that the building where his radio station is housed was vandalized late Friday / early Saturday. Caused like $25k damage.

Does anyone else find it interesting that, whilst he happily accepted his followers quitting their jobs and selling all their assets to fund the promotion campaign for judgement day he didn't do so himself?
I find it alarming that people who follow such 'leaders' don't just stop and look at the situation. They want to believe so badly and live in the theory that they ignore almost everything else and plunge their lives into promises.

Live in the moment people. Think about things. Realise what you are doing in the moment. 99% of everything else drops away and life becomes easier. You also realise that some people just speak a load of bull%$%$
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ja, look, I think that his followers need to take some responsibility for following his false teaching. But he has a far greater weight of responsibility. I find it shameful that he is "not embarrassed" about his failed 1994 prediction, which brought great reproach upon the name of Christ. And I think he has a lot to answer for right now. I think that public repantance is necessary. I think he needs to completely reform his radio ministry. I think he needs to commit to keeping any suspicions he might have to himself. And I think he needs to do whatever he can to make restitution to those who were harmed because of his teaching.

I'm afraid, however, that he's just going to make excuses. He says that he will make a statement by tomorrow night to explain what went wrong. I'm very interested to see what his statement involves.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Actually in some ways I'm happy this happened. This will at least force people to think twice before following idiots like him again.

People must learn and they don't fail if they never learn. This is an epic fail and thus an epic lesson.

Another thing this points out is how much of the other teachers claims out there are fake/false/lies? People accept religious lessons as facts and never question them but how many are lies and how many are truths? It maybe to a lesser extent the influence they have on peoples lives-it maybe something simple like you can't listen to a particular band for a reason. Is that reason true? Are they being honest or is this just an opinion based on false made up facts such as 21/05/2011?

One must not simply accept peoples statements as truth.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Stuart's link wrote:The group of friends watched in terror as Anthony Thompson, who didn’t know how to swim and who was warned by a friend not to jump, was overwhelmed by the water.
ROFLCOPTER!
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Eish, there's no cure for stupid.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Good thing stupid people don't reproduce very well....
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Nuke wrote:Good thing stupid people don't reproduce very well....
I wouldn't be so sure of that. It doesn't take double doctorates in Formal Logic and M-Theory to produce offspring.
Just look at flies.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Well the guy in the case above is not going to reproduce very well.,,,
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Apparently the Rapture has been revised to October or anytime inbetween. RIIIIIIGHT.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

:lol: the poor bloke.

soup
Johannes Coetzee wrote:and the faithful would be taken away on May 21

well maybe there are no faithful left to be taken away :P
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
jee

Post by jee »

Actually Ruad, that thought passed though my very full and busy mind... however briefly... and then was rejected because i know one or two that would have definitely been ruptured... :)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Bwahahahaha ruptured - doesn't sound very pleasant
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

jee wrote:Actually Ruad, that thought passed though my very full and busy mind... however briefly... and then was rejected because i know one or two that would have definitely been ruptured... :)
Wahahaha.... actually coming to think of it... are they really worth rapturing :?:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
jee

Post by jee »

Tribble wrote:Bwahahahaha ruptured - doesn't sound very pleasant

yeah, i really really would not have minded at all if that happened. I, off course, would not have seen it because I would have been ratpured :D
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh yes you would. I would have seen it happen (and probably enjoyed it). I find the criteria to get into heaven too strict :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jee wrote:
Tribble wrote:Bwahahahaha ruptured - doesn't sound very pleasant

yeah, i really really would not have minded at all if that happened. I, off course, would not have seen it because I would have been ratpured :D
Oi, leave the rats out of this debacle, please.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Mousey - I know a few people she would like to see rupture before she sees you do it :lol:
jee

Post by jee »

For every positive there is a negative to balance it out...
The results showed significantly greater hippocampal atrophy in individuals reporting a life-changing religious experience. In addition, they found significantly greater hippocampal atrophy among born-again Protestants, Catholics, and those with no religious affiliation, compared with Protestants not identifying as born-again.

The authors offer the hypothesis that the greater hippocampal atrophy in selected religious groups might be related to stress. They argue that some individuals in the religious minority, or those who struggle with their beliefs, experience higher levels of stress. This causes a release of stress hormones that are known to depress the volume of the hippocampus over time. This might also explain the fact that both non-religious as well as some religious individuals have smaller hippocampal volumes.

This is an interesting hypothesis. Many studies have shown positive effects of religion and spirituality on mental health, but there are also plenty of examples of negative impacts. There is evidence that members of religious groups who are persecuted or in the minority might have markedly greater stress and anxiety as they try to navigate their own society. Other times, a person might perceive God to be punishing them and therefore have significant stress in the face of their religious struggle.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... t-of-brain