the (mainly) christian thread.

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
novio

Post by novio »

well, u right...sorry my bad

i actually meant the leaders of the church and how things r run.
i actually dont go to church...at all, not that i havnt been, i just dont agree with one man's definition of what everybody should believe. we're not robots that can be programmed the same way (although there are a lot of those out there)

and obviously, there's the money........unfortunately, thats been around way too long.
Space modulatORRRR!!!!
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

The thing about church is that imperfect people attend it. Most of these imperfect people have the same goal: to simply be mere Christians.
Therefore you cannot judge the man praying next to you because he goes to church on Sunday and kills people on Monday. The reason all of you are at church is to be rid of all these sins. So the stereotype image of church goers must be discarded. Christains in a church aren't people who never commit sins - they are all people seeking salvation.

Thw money thing I understand to a degree. The church does have to stay afloat. God won't just throw money from Heaven. He created a rule-governed world and miracles are performed within those rules. Human greed is what creates the money issues.
t3h blog
"Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned, the looked for that cometh at unawares, the longed for that cometh beyond hope! Hail Eärendil, bearer of light before the Sun and Moon! Splendour of the Children of Earth, star in the darkness, jewel in the sunset, radiant in the morning!"

Of the Voyage of Eärendil , The Silmarillion
marduke

Post by marduke »

No need to apologise novio, I was just trying to find out exactly what you
you had a problem with, since your statement was a bit generalised.
I agree with you actually, which was why I stayed away from church for about
7 years, before finding one that I believe are sincere in their teachings.

@freeboy: I absolutely & totally agree with you 100% :)
marduke

Post by marduke »

Sorry for bumping my post, it feels pointless to edit the above one.
Goodbye good people of the forum. I shall grace you with my presence
on the 2nd day of the new week (Monday)(Yes I'm one of those)
novio

Post by novio »

i dont think its just stayin afloat freeboy.......really, come on?

and...i know why poeple attend the church, thats not the issue, we all seek salvation, whether its at church or not, who cares. it has become an institution that has been converted into a necessity, a result of years of brainwashing and guilt trips instead of being a pillar of faith.......

i dont need to believe in the church to believe in God
Space modulatORRRR!!!!
UndaGrad

Post by UndaGrad »

Some of us attend church for the sense of community needs. We need to meet our church pals at least once a week. Then there's the whole communion. This is so that our sins can be forgiven. If people go to church simply for salvation purposes, and don't have friends, duties, a firm belief in God, then they'll most likely leave and not feel as part of their congregation. People my own age could also seek spouses, date those with high moral standards (at least most of us Christians), and enjoy their lives in the way that Jesus would approve. We have activities that help us get to know one another ( socials) and strengthen each other's faith and help each other out on how to face all the temptations that the world can throw at us. Church then becomes a place where we can belong, be a part of other believers with high values and standards.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I worship Ego.
Guluva

Post by Guluva »

Propaganda is the type of education which rarely lets in new ideas, only what is diictated is held to be true, anything else is a lie (I am your one an only God, praise no other Gods but me)
capanno

Post by capanno »

And your point is... ??
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
MetalPaw

Post by MetalPaw »

Completely out of the blue...Is it bad for a non-Christian to celebrate Christian holidays?
I have pledged my soul and being to the darkness and the god of death. Anubis, open your arms and welcome me at last to the Three Regions! But if My Lord will not do so...Anubis, My Lord, grant me the strength to move on from this place...
Overheard

Post by Overheard »

MetalPaw wrote:
Completely out of the blue...Is it bad for a non-Christian to celebrate Christian holidays?
i celebrate the commercial aspect of christmas. There's nothing wrong with buying your loved ones gifts and receiving even nicer ones.
MetalPaw

Post by MetalPaw »

Alright. Cool. As long as I'm not doing anything wrong.
I have pledged my soul and being to the darkness and the god of death. Anubis, open your arms and welcome me at last to the Three Regions! But if My Lord will not do so...Anubis, My Lord, grant me the strength to move on from this place...
DeathPing

Re: the (mainly) christian thread.

Post by DeathPing »

* B U M P *

Any other Christians around, since 29 November 2006? Lurking perhaps? :D

Thanks for pointing us in the direction again Sir Lance! ;)
The keyboard is mightier than the pen!
When the last guitar string goes "Ping!", that is when Death will stop to sing...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

DeathPing wrote:Any other Christians around
Here.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

here!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
DeathPing

Post by DeathPing »

I have been going through a rough patch lately in terms of my religion - the problem is that I keep looking at people instead of focusing on Jesus. I have found that it is easy to discredit/stone/crucify the whole Christian belief at the hand of what other Christian people are doing/not doing, as is the case with all other things in this world. In these times, I know that one has to believe like a child.

I am interested in finding out what the Lord has done for you lately that you are willing to talk about here? :)
When the last guitar string goes "Ping!", that is when Death will stop to sing...
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Sadly I lost my belief in Christianity long ago
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Here
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Here

Oh wait
to ápeiro anima
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

A 'relevant' necro?

I'm shocked...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

jamin_za wrote:Here
:roll:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

DeathPing wrote:I have been going through a rough patch lately in terms of my religion - the problem is that I keep looking at people instead of focusing on Jesus. I have found that it is easy to discredit/stone/crucify the whole Christian belief at the hand of what other Christian people are doing/not doing, as is the case with all other things in this world. In these times, I know that one has to believe like a child.

I am interested in finding out what the Lord has done for you lately that you are willing to talk about here? :)
i think that if you stay true to what you believe is the best option. through my bad patch a few years ago, i didn't think that Liewe Jesus was there and cared for me, but now, after a few years and better understanding, i know that He was there and kept me from harming myself in ways that i was thinking of. He has helped me through a few situations this term, showing me which path to take and which are the right decisions to make. the fact that i was able to be at the conference and present a poster, never minding the fact that i won best poster, is a blessing in disguise as my fellow collegues are able to go to Germany in November and i can't go.

ever since coming to Bloemfontein, my faith has grown and i have been able to make my own decisions regarding it, not believing in the ways of one Church but believing in the ways of Christianity as a whole.
DeathPing

Post by DeathPing »

Thanks, KK. You have blessed me with your post. I appreciate it. :D
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

DeathPing wrote:I have been going through a rough patch lately in terms of my religion - the problem is that I keep looking at people instead of focusing on Jesus. I have found that it is easy to discredit/stone/crucify the whole Christian belief at the hand of what other Christian people are doing/not doing, as is the case with all other things in this world. In these times, I know that one has to believe like a child.

I'm not going into details but I will say that just when I needed it most, I turned to Jesus recently and I believe He helped me to be where I am now. I'm content with life, happy for the first time in a long time. I'm in the best financial situation I've ever been in. And I don't worry anymore about the people close to me. Since praying for them I've seen a difference in their lives as well as mine.

I'm not a preacher so don't expect me to say what you want to hear. You need to make the decision for the right reasons and your prayers will be answered. :wink:
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

dis nie baja nie, maar dis iets... :oops:

DP: :hug: