Satanic (Black) Metal – The Dangers Thereof

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Satanic (Black) Metal – The Dangers Thereof

Post by KALSTER »

audiobooks set to a beat
I will use this.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Hellfury wrote:Satanic (Black) Metal – The Dangers Thereof

What I once perceived as “awesome” and “powerful” I now see too many an error in. As an individual who was once a vehement defender of this closed-off sect of society, I do believe that I can now stand against it.

Black Metal, “The Devil’s Music” is a journey. It consumes you; it brings out all your rage, anger, and hatred. It changes your outlook on life, to something where optimism, the very thing that spurs the progression of society, is crushed. It, simply put, can alter the course of your life. I’m at a stage now where I can’t function, because of so much pent up rage, due to constant reinforcement of pessimism. I lived, breathed, and spoke black metal. I had subliminal music playing 24/7. I was obsessed...Spellbound so to speak. The more hateful the better. I fed on it. I couldn’t listen to anything else. Feel good music made me sick. I would sit on my bed and listen to the same song play 14 times. My iTunes “Most played list” is testimony to this fact. At the top Of the List is Dimmu Borgir’s “Satan My Master” with a play count of 1376…It got so bad that I would lock myself in my room with cigarettes and coffee and listen to that song over and over until I fell asleep.

It’s affected my relationships with people too. Ironically, I can’t take people being hostile to me. I mistake assertiveness for aggression. My relationship with my mother is close to dead. I can’t even bring myself to say hello to her. I can’t/couldn’t talk to anyone who does/didn’t have the same pessimistic outlook on life. I took it too far…it consumed me…and I don’t know who I am anymore…

Some of you will dismiss this as juvenile and pathetic, and will tell me “I told you so.” However, this is just me coming to terms with it

Regards, Justin
Let me gooi my 2c here.

I won't go into the whole psychology of how music affects humans purely because I'm not psychologist.
Like the saying: "You are what you eat" its the same with music but little different. "You become what you listen to".

I don't like to be associated with people listening to this crap. Purely because I am a Christian. Words/lyrics/music of this nature has no space in my life. Why would you listen to it to start off with? What positive change does these lyrics and songs bring to your life? If you say it enriches your life, to what extent and what direction?

This type of music is a poison. It poisons the listener to such an extent that they (Like hellfury said) withdraw themselves from people and seek comfort with others who listens to the same crap. Guess what, normally it's the wrong crowd that's involved with unsavory stuff. Drugs, alcohol and satanism ect ect.

I listened to the one song from "Die Antwoord" called Doosdronk.
Here is a extract of one part of the lyrics:

"Doodsdronk, god waar is my hond." Afte hearing this I killed the song and deleted it from my pc.
Days after that while riding to work I suddenly started singing only that part of the song!
Why?

It has buried itself in my subconscious and the devil wants me to use the Lords name in vein. I immediately found another song to sing.

So, the aged old saying: What would Jesus do? Would he sing these lyrics? Would he be associated with this? NEVER!
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

IcePick88 wrote:Purely because I am a Christian.
i never made it past this statement...

not because anything further wouldn't be relevant, but because it was going to be tainted with unhelpful bias...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

IcePick88 wrote:It has buried itself in my subconscious and the devil wants me to use the Lords name in vein. I immediately found another song to sing.

I have a strong feeling that the other song was not "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones, or "Sad but True" by Metallica...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Prime

Post by Prime »

IcePick88 wrote:
Let me gooi my 2c here.
Your 2 cents clearly is not worth very much considering your pretty much ignored half the comments in this thread. There are plenty of us here and quite a few of us know each other outside the forum, and not one single of of us who listens to this sort of music is a satanist or a devil worshiper or a drug user.
This type of music is a poison. It poisons the listener to such an extent that they (Like hellfury said) withdraw themselves from people and seek comfort with others who listens to the same crap. Guess what, normally it's the wrong crowd that's involved with unsavory stuff. Drugs, alcohol and satanism ect ect.
Wow, that makes a tonne of sense. So either you are saying people who listen to this aren't human or you are contradicting yourself?
So, the aged old saying: What would Jesus do? Would he sing these lyrics? Would he be associated with this? NEVER!
WWJD? Maybe not judge people and make sweeping statements as you are doing (Assuming he were real)
It has buried itself in my subconscious and the devil wants me to use the Lords name in vein. I immediately found another song to sing.
I think thats the voice of reason. You should listen to it more often.
I don't like to be associated with people listening to this crap. Purely because I am a Christian. Words/lyrics/music of this nature has no space in my life. Why would you listen to it to start off with? What positive change does these lyrics and songs bring to your life? If you say it enriches your life, to what extent and what direction?
As has been stated numerous times, many of us actually find music like this calms us down or helps us focus. It doesn't turn us into ninja sword killers or make us want to throw ourselves off bridges. And I'm not sure I'd want to be associated with you either.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

IcePick88 wrote:It has buried itself in my subconscious and the devil wants me to use the Lords name in vein.
If there even is such a thing as "the devil", I'm sure he has bigger things to spend his time on.
Making some random guy inadvertently blaspheme is not going to advance his ultimate goal by much, I don't think...

Also, Die Antwoord is not Black Metal... and I quite enjoy their lyrics.
Often I'll be driving along in my car singing "jou ma se **** in a fish paste jar" and loving it!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

"Doodsdronk, god waar is my hond." Afte hearing this I killed the song and deleted it from my pc.
Days after that while riding to work I suddenly started singing only that part of the song!
Why?
It was NOT the devil. The line struck a chord with you, albeit a bad one, but of course it will stick with you for a while. Why blame the devil for everything?
What would Jesus do?
Not a bad philosophy.

Look, I believe the world would be a MUCH better place if we stopped blaming a fictional bad guy for everything wrong in it. Humans will be humans, but a concerted effort to be good people is the best we can do. Stop blaming the devil for everything and own up to your own shortcomings as an imperfect being. We ALL have bad aspects to our personalities, but you can not really avoid it as best you can if you don't realize this. Understanding and empathy are the best tools to a productive life that adds positively to humanity's consciousness.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Nice reaction I got here. Everyone, enjoy your weekends. It's time to have some off time. :)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Damn! The high road got me again! Aaaaargggghhhh.....
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

It is awful when you try and pick a fight - and your victim walks unscathed :lol:
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Like the saying: "You are what you eat" its the same with music but little different. "You become what you listen to".
So if I eat horse shyte....what will happen?Becoming horse shyte is not on the agenda just yet, well only if Jessica Biel comes around to my place for a romantic dinner and candle light music.....Well first I will crap my pants and then pee on her chair so she is off limits to every one else....

Point is your made up saying is just that a figment of your imaginary friends metaphysical imagination......in the unlikely event that I become like Steve Hofmeyer keep clear of Sammy Marks square a middle aged Afrikaans streaker will likely assist in the regurgitation of yesterdays 2 days old Pie city pie.
I listened to the one song from "Die Antwoord" called Doosdronk.
Here is a extract of one part of the lyrics:

Why?
Guess what I am listening to their internet album right now.Guess what I am still me....will listen to it on my ipod or at low volume, why? because they swear and shyte, no I do it out of respect for others....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

wizardofid wrote:if Jessica Biel comes around to my place for a romantic dinner and candle light music.....Well first I will crap my pants and then pee on her chair
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

@jamin_za

Since you have gone and perverted a perfectly well planned evening.....I would have to find some one else...and then remove your your image linking rights........ :cry: :cry:
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

[OT] Awesome avvie Wiz [/OT]
jee

Post by jee »

"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Tribble wrote:[OT] Awesome avvie Wiz [/OT]
Why thank you miss pudy cat...It really displays my emo goth music, self mutilation personality.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I must admit - I was a Christian too once. I also believed Metal to be Satanic. Church told us so - I accepted it without question.

Granted, I don't listen to all metal as some is just sick. But there is a whole lot of it that is just fantastic! It really does help me focus - especially when I have code to write (as you know that is not one of my natural talents). Mind you - it also works keep me calm in bad traffic and after a busy morning with the kids.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Tribble wrote:I must admit - I was a Christian too once. I also believed Metal to be Satanic. Church told us so - I accepted it without question.
I think people fear and denounce that which they do not understand. It´s a pity religion and people put a label on music because, like we have said, not all music is bad.

I know of a band called Les Metalis. A Christian metal band who do a great version of motopsycho. I have no problem listening to them but my religious friends will gladly tear up my Iron Maiden albums.

I just think people need to understand music better. People fear what they do not understand and music can be interpreted so many ways so it´s hard to convince people that what they understand or hear in music is what is meant.

Anyway I know people are more open to different music now than they were a few years ago.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
capanno

Post by capanno »

Tribble wrote: I also believed Metal to be Satanic. Church told us so - I accepted it without question.
Now there's your problem.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

capanno wrote:
Tribble wrote: I also believed Metal to be Satanic. Church told us so - I accepted it without question.
Now there's your problem.
There was much that I accepted without question. Life was simpler then. It is when I started thinking - that things became complicated. I can see the allure of believing without question. Of absolute faith.

But back on topic. A very entertaining read
I am sure that brewnog must be our very own Puppy
Hellfury

Post by Hellfury »

Heads up to everyone who replied. much appreciated

Didn't realise it would spark so much debate...

I have since purged my entire collection of satanic music (before you ask, all legally aquired), +- 12gb

To those who argue that music doesn't affect you, I say an unstable person is easily corrupted. Nor do I blame my problems on it. I am by no mean using music as a scapegoat

I'm now trying to build up the courage to go to church...I admit I'm apprehensive, but I think I'll give it a try :)
AMD FX 8120 @4.7Ghz |Antec Kuhler 920 |ASUS Sabertooth 990fx| 16Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance|GTX 460 1gb |OCZ Vertex 3 60gb (OS) + HyperX 240Gb (Games)|2tb+320gb+250gb(x3)+160gb hdds| CM Silent Pro Gold 1000w| Aerocool Strike X ST| Dell 23" LED LCD |Windows 8 Pro x64
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Have you considered Buddhism?
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Hellfury

Post by Hellfury »

I have, but don't exactly know how to go about it:/
AMD FX 8120 @4.7Ghz |Antec Kuhler 920 |ASUS Sabertooth 990fx| 16Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance|GTX 460 1gb |OCZ Vertex 3 60gb (OS) + HyperX 240Gb (Games)|2tb+320gb+250gb(x3)+160gb hdds| CM Silent Pro Gold 1000w| Aerocool Strike X ST| Dell 23" LED LCD |Windows 8 Pro x64
Prime

Post by Prime »

Hellfury wrote:I have, but don't exactly know how to go about it:/
Which city are you in?

Find a Buddhist temple or centre on Google?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Glad to see you are coming right :D