The Movie Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Ok there are far too many movies coming out that look good! :( First off I would just like to say I watched the HD Trailer for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and it looks like it's going to be the movie of the year for me! :D Classic Indie type humour and action with modern day special effects, man I can't wait! :D :D :D

Then for Martial Arts fans, as well as fans of both Jet Li and Jackie Chan, guess what? They've paired up in a new movie called The Forbidden Kingdom.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Reading the movie's synopsis, it actually sounds like it will be pretty good.

Then there's a new comedy coming out starring Will Smith, called Hancock. The trailer for that movie is really funny, basically Will Smith plays the role of Hancock, a superhero that is a superzero! He has super hero powers but can never get it right whenever he tries to use them often causing more harm than good.

It's been a while since we saw anything from M. Night Shyamalan but there's a new movie coming out called The Happening.
The Happening is a paranoid thriller in which a family must survive a global environmental crisis. Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel star as an estranged couple who must escape this apocalyptic epidemic.
Looks like 2008 is going to be an even better year for movie fans than 2007 was! :mrgreen:
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Indiana Jones is going to rock and Harrison Ford looks better than he has in years, you'd never guess he's 65 looking at the stills and the trailer from the movie...

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Harrison Ford looks better than he has in years, you'd never guess he's 65 looking at the stills and the trailer from the movie...
Does Harrison know you have a crush on him :?:
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Hancock looks friggin awesome!!! Thats one movie thats on my must see list
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Any of you guys seen the Wanted trailer?
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

w00t w00t

FINALLY SOME DECENT MOVIES!!! :D

2007 had some really ***** movies...espcially towards the end...there was like nothing decent!!! :cry: :cry:
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

SoulBlade wrote:Any of you guys seen the Wanted trailer?
Looks hot. Angie is a babe of note. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ftozVc3lI

LMAO Hancock is gonna rock hard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZQQgvhn4jg
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Indiana Jones is going to rock and Harrison Ford looks better than he has in years, you'd never guess he's 65 looking at the stills and the trailer from the movie...
I know! It's unbelievable! ;) I can't wait! :D
Associated Press wrote:New 'Indiana Jones' trailer a smash hit

LOS ANGELES - Times sure have changed in the 19 years since Harrison Ford last donned the signature fedora of thrill-seeking archaeologist Indiana Jones. The viral spread of the trailer for "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is proof of that.

The trailer for the May 22 release has drawn highly enthusiastic responses in theaters. But it may have had its biggest impact online, on a younger audience that may not think of Ford, 65, as equal to today's spry action heroes.

After premiering Feb. 14 on "Good Morning America," Lucasfilm and Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures sent the trailer to the Web, plus movie theaters and TV stations around the world. Paramount estimates the trailer was seen more than 200 million times worldwide in the first week alone.

Harry Knowles, who runs the movie fan site AintItCool.com (his official title is Head Geek), says he first saw a bootleg version of the trailer online, then the official version online, and then saw it twice in theaters.

There were cheers in the theater when the familiar theme song kicked in, Knowles said, and comments on his Web site have been positive. "People generally really, really loved the trailer," he said. "Some people think it's a little more cartoonish-looking compared to the prior (films), with him whipping the lights and swinging on them and stuff. But at the same time, it seems that everyone is extremely excited that there's a new 'Indiana Jones' film. The excitement for it is palpable. It's much more aggressively anticipated than anything else that's coming out right now."

"The trailer caught on like wildfire, around the world, in all mediums," said Gerry Rich, Paramount's president of worldwide marketing, who's targeting moviegoers "from 8 to 80. The response has been sensational and it shows what technology can do when you have material that is so appealing to audiences."

Older audiences certainly remember Indy, but that's not the prime ticket-buying demographic. Thus the aggressive online campaign, which included what Paramount says is a record 4.1 million views on the Yahoo movie site in the first week and 2.6 million on the official IndianaJones.com site, the most ever for the studio.

"It looks to be THE highly anticipated movie of the summer," said Mark Mazrimas, marketing manager for independent theater chain Classic Cinemas. However, "this hasn't been on the screen for so long, (the challenge) is capturing the youth."

The brainchild of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, the franchise kicked off with "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" in 1981, followed by "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" three summers later. "The Last Crusade" was released in 1989, boosting the worldwide box office total to $1.2 billion.

Now, with the buzz sparked, Rich — who declined to make opening weekend predictions — just wants to keep fans' attention: "The (only) negative comment from people was that they have to wait until May to see the movie."
Otherwise is anyone looking forward to Fools Gold?
It has nothing to do with McConaughey's previous movie Sahara, which is actually based on a Dirk Pitt novel by Clive Cussler, but looks interesting and funny nonetheless.
eXtreMe99

Post by eXtreMe99 »

Watching the trailer yesterday for Fools Gold, I thought it might have something to do with Sahara. Guess I was wrong... :)
Core2Quad Q8300 2.5GHz, 4GiG DDR3 1333, GTS 250 512 MB Extreme Overclock Ed , 2 Terabyte Seagate 64MB Cache, Samsung SyncMaster P2770H
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

Hear that it really sucks but since there isn't much else happening in EL I will probably go watch it : )
FTB_Screamer

Post by FTB_Screamer »

- 10 000 BC looks promissing.
- Ironman, awsomness.
- Hellboy 2, looks kewl.
- Dark Night, Heath's second last role.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:yawn:

hear that gentle, sludgy, scraping sound?... that's coming from the same place these sad, pitiful, offerings do... they've hit the bottom of the barrel and have now resorted to reconstituting whatever mold they can recover from the underside...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
simmy

Post by simmy »

rustypup wrote::yawn:

hear that gentle, sludgy, scraping sound?... that's coming from the same place these sad, pitiful, offerings do... they've hit the bottom of the barrel and have now resorted to reconstituting whatever mold they can recover from the underside...
you recommend something. 8)
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Go on, read a book!
I dare you! :twisted:

Best-sellers and anything recommended by Oprah don't count!

:wink:
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

supertwit wrote:Go on, read a book!
precisely... there are billions of worthwhile stories out there...

why then are we continually subjected to the same, rehashed, collection of tripe?

oprah is the enemy! - EB has been sending me increasingly desperate mails to come and buy her latest recommendation... even offering 300 points - which speaks volumes about how bad it is...
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

I too prefer a good book, but at the same time I also prefer watching a good movie, and this thread is about new movies coming out, most of which are looking to be quite promising.

So why then (@rustypup), if you can read the title of the thread, do you still feel the need to come troll about the crap that is coming out when a page or so back we were discussing new and exciting movies to look forward to? :roll:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Xiphan wrote:So why then do you still feel the need to come troll about the crap that is coming out when a page or so back we were discussing new and exciting movies to look forward to? :roll:
i'm still waiting for this thread to get to the "new and exciting" bits.. let alone anything worth looking forward to... mostly, it's been about the old, broken, re-run crud dressed up, (or, more accurately, down), with sparkly bits.

stop swallowing the swill... start demanding the cheese.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Im sooooo evil. My wife an I are horror flick fans. So...we wanna see "One Missed Call"....I went an found the ringtone for that eery tune in the movie. Gonna load it on her phone just before we see the movie, so when I call...it plays the tune. Ooooooh....I cant wait!! Its gonna be frickin hilarious!! :twisted:
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

For these new movies coming...anyone have that trailer website for them...for all new movies...forgot what the url is, thanks ;)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

I actually agree that 90% of the sequels that come out are disappointments.

Seriously. Who gets exited about sequels. That last sequel I saw that was better than the original was.... well... I cant really remember.

The rule thumb in Hollywood seems to be if it makes money do it again and again and again until the public stop watching and it is not profitable anymore.

I'll go and watch the new Indiana Jones movie, but I am not expecting it to surpass it's predecessors.
The new Will Smith movie looks good.
M Night Shamamababa is very hit and miss. One movie will be a Sixth Sense, and the next will be a Lady In The Water....
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

jamin_za wrote:I actually agree that 90% of the sequels that come out are disappointments.

Seriously. Who gets exited about sequels. That last sequel I saw that was better than the original was.... well... I cant really remember.

The rule thumb in Hollywood seems to be if it makes money do it again and again and again until the public stop watching and it is not profitable anymore.

I'll go and watch the new Indiana Jones movie, but I am not expecting it to surpass it's predecessors.
The new Will Smith movie looks good.
M Night Shamamababa is very hit and miss. One movie will be a Sixth Sense, and the next will be a Lady In The Water....
IMO....Terminator 2 was better than The Terminator. Just my opinion, that sequel was better...very few that are...but in this case I feel it was....and I thought Lady in the water was good, not great, but def was not bad. Was dissapointed with The Village though...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

The only reason TII surpassed the origional was because of the immense leaps forward in special effects that happened between the two movies.
TIII wasn't bad, but it amounted to less that either of it's predecessors.

Lady In the Water was bad. It was not as god-awful as The Village, but still. Do. Not. Want.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

jamin_za wrote:The only reason TII surpassed the origional was because of the immense leaps forward in special effects that happened between the two movies.
TIII wasn't bad, but it amounted to less that either of it's predecessors.

Lady In the Water was bad. It was not as god-awful as The Village, but still. Do. Not. Want.
LOL! Cant disagree with the TII comment
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

The Godfather Part I and Part II are equal in stature. Most movies I enjoy don't ever have sequels.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Rush hour 2 was better than Rush hour 1, IMO. RH 2 & 3 are about equal. Karate Kid 2 was WAY better than KK1 and 3. Just my opinion though :oops:
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD