Piracy in general

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
maestro_za

Re: Piracy

Post by maestro_za »

Piracy is out of hand because it's so easy to do.

A case of convenience!
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services

PC: In need of an upgrade :)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

maestro_za wrote:Piracy is out of hand because it's so easy to do.

A case of convenience!
Yet whats with this DRM crap though.... wants to stop piracy, but its damn annoying. Which leads people to pirate the stuff
Ryan_Cooper

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

Check this out it's not piracy when you copy something for yourself and you own the original.
So long as you dont distribute it
THE GAME........YOU Have JUST LOst It !!!!!!!!!!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Word up yo!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Ryan_Cooper wrote:Check this out it's not piracy when you copy something for yourself and you own the original.
read much EULA?.. this doesn't apply to everything you own...

nevermind all those who come crawling in here begging for assistance in removing whatever trojan they've managed to install when cracking their "legal" copy... that's some funny stuff, right there... :lol:

i was actually approached the other day to help someone 'repair' a securom issue they created when 'installing' bioshock... i was, naturally, moved to tears over their predicament...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Ryan_Cooper

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

tears of laughter i suppose. not generally everything i know but mostly music and sometimes music.
I have had this discussion with SAMRO and another anti piracy company when I was a DJ
THE GAME........YOU Have JUST LOst It !!!!!!!!!!
psychotic_savage

Post by psychotic_savage »

rustypup wrote:i was actually approached the other day to help someone 'repair' a securom issue they created when 'installing' bioshock... i was, naturally, moved to tears over their predicament...
Lol the same happened to me. What really ticks me off is everyone expects the Guy in IT to have the latest pirated movies and games. I have atleast 3 people a day asking if I have movies and games for them. One day I'm just going to slap them and say no thats bad.
Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz LGA1156 \\ XFX Radeon HD5870XXX Edition \\ Asus P7P55D IP55 Motherboard \\ Corsair DDR3-1600 4GB (2x2GB) XMS3 DHX CL9 Memory Module Kit \\ 2x 250gig Sata 2x 160gig Sata\\ Win 7 Ent 64bit \\ Samsung 26" wide-screen LCD
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

True. Or just buy the CD and MP3 it...
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Stealing is stealing no matter how you paint the picture. The big problem is that now where you once had the freedom your limited to the capabilities of others.

You would buy games and it would be yours. You would crack it to play without the cd. You would copy it so you and you bro could lan it. You would lend it to your friends and they would go buy it because it is a kick bottom game.

Now you don't own your game anymore. You only have the right to play it. But you only have the right to install it a few times. After that you need to ask someone if you can play it again. They can say no or yes if they still exist though. If they don't you must hope someone has an easy to use crack. And you must hope someone has a cap killer patch to fix the game since it didn't work on its initial release...

I believe developers are entitled to the fruits of their labour. I really do. But don't blame someone else for your mistakes. Sure Crysis had a lousy sale. You only needed a monster pc that almost no one had. Sure you wanted the game to get the sales figures World of Warcraft has but your game is worse than pacman.

The gaming industry almost died in 1983 if I remember correctly. The year of super bad commercialized gaming that turned people away from it. It's been a long time since then but anything can happen. And thanks to the way in which gamers are being treated we might just see the death of pc gaming. And its all thanks to the likes of EA.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Not sure if this has been ask, sorry if it has.

I bought a DVD movie from overseas as it is not available here in RSA.

Now it is region 1 encoded so it wont play in my region 2 DVD player. Is it legal to rip the DVD and make one region 2 copy so I can play it in my DVD player?
falkon

Post by falkon »

i regon it is ok, just keep the original close to you to have proof that you made the copy
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I think DRM with regards to games is getting a little bit less insane.

I don't like DRM but truth be told I do not mind buying a game, installing it, going online for it to activate (this takes like a min) then being able to play without needing the DVD in the drive.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Why not change your DVD player to all regions? Google your make of player and get the all regions code. All newer players are all regions anyway.
Mow

Post by Mow »

As far as i know any dvd player capable of reading dvd-rw should be region free
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

KillerByte,

While activating over the net is an annoyance, I don't think that is what a lot of people is complaining about. It's about the same as putting the DVD inside the drive for me.

It's the limited number of installations with no way to revoke the activations that is the problem, at least to me. What also worries people is that 5 years down the line, the producers like EA decide to stop the activation servers, meaning that the game cannot be activated and played again.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Mow wrote:As far as i know any dvd player capable of reading dvd-rw should be region free
PAL 50Hz and NTSC 60Hz.

You knew wrong.
Mow

Post by Mow »

AND the mode switch button ? PAL and or NTSC
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

falkon wrote:i regon it is ok, just keep the original close to you to have proof that you made the copy
Ive kept all the documention in the DVD case, I'm a little parinoid I know :D
lancelot wrote:Why not change your DVD player to all regions? Google your make of player and get the all regions code. All newer players are all regions anyway.
My player is about 5 years old, but it sounds like an idea, will check it out, cheers thanks!
Dustman

Post by Dustman »

Hi Guys

On piracy of games. I know it is a major reason why creators are moving towards consoles.

Personally I know the big factor for me is the price to buy games. R. 300+.

I would love to know how the classic games are doing, and what impact they have on piracy. You know the ones you buy for R. 100 buck from most places. I have bought more than 8 games in the last year through these offers. I will also buy the original classic game, if the game was very good, even if (God forbid) I had a pirated copy. Classic example is Prince of Persia, Heroes of might and magic V and Splinter Cell series.

Any thoughts :?:
Dustman

Post by Dustman »

Is there no takers on the impact of classic "cheap" games on piracy.

Man I must be the only poor oke on the forums. :lol: :oops:
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

"Bargain Bin" FTW! (just not at Game in Eastrand Mall, they just suck! WORTHLESS titles there!)
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
Dustman

Post by Dustman »

I second that.

It is amazing when you go to even a small supermarket the amount of rubbish games they sell. Games that were either never heard of / or games that are literally almost 20 years old.

But the EA Classics and Ubisoft Best Sellers collections are good quality gems of games that ar normally 2-3 years old.

Hey at the very least you know you will be able to play these games MAXED out with your current hardware. :lol:
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Dustman wrote:Is there no takers on the impact of classic "cheap" games on piracy.

Man I must be the only poor oke on the forums. :lol: :oops:
You are not alone. ;-)

I only ever buy Budget Re-releases or some of the old stock the likes of Take2 and kalahari try to get rid of in the new year. Some of my games come from Cash Crusaders.Incredible Connection Sales are also sometimes good value....

It seems as though I shall have to do my homework on the sort of protection employed by a game I am interested in so that I am not disappointed should I want to replay it
in a year or two....
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Price isnt a reason that one should pirate games.... i also used to bluff myself using the very same reason.

whether a game is R90 or R600 people will still pirate to save that R90 cause money is money. The fact thats expensive doesnt give the a reason to pirate software. Piracy is stealing and is the same as if you cant afford a Rolex watch so you go and steal it.

As console games are insanely priced and i have no reason to why, PC games on the other hand are +- R300 and that price has not changed for the past 10 years. NFS 2 SE when i bought it was R299, Prince of persia 3 was R299 and crysis was R299.

However with the developers using more and more advanced copy protection methods it kills the performance (the cracked versions run better), sometimes the copy protection is so fussy the ORIGNINAL game doesnt work.

The arguement now is not price but rather why must I pay R300 for something that is not returnable, might not work, hastle me for online activation, limit the amount of times i can use it (even though i own the product) when the pirated version is smoother, install crack and play end of story, install it as many times as I want, and sometimes is simply far better than the original :shock:

BTW if price of a new game is so much? then why not buy it second hand? i buy alot of my x360 games second and it saves me up to R200 and its usually in very good working condition