Load Shedding Schedules - Find out when yours will be off

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
jee

Post by jee »

yeah, the wise question... what did we have before candles?
Electricity!

if it was not for the fact that all electrical appliances are going off their rockers, and urgent work not being done, this could be a great time for conversations by candle light, supper sharing with men braaing until they have had enough, no computer and tv for children - but talk.

I'm getting rather good at reading by candle light ;) Take your torch and go frog hunting, or watch the stars.

Or haul out the old battery operated tape deck, some good old music, Amarula and your lovie snug outside just chilling.

We have to take the bad and make it good. Work pace is slower (some of us that work mainly on computers just lift our shoulders when nagged about a report.... or two) and this will teach one planning...

My 2Ic and me have been sitting outside in the garden with the budget preparations.... look at the fun part gurls and boys!
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:as koeberg has shown us, we cannot rely on the janitorial staff to manage this sort of project...
I think I may know somebody who would disagree with that statement!

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol: Dr Jan Itor - always has a plan...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Your average SA household uses about 1000kWh per month. So divide by 30 you get to 33kWh per day. Divide this by 24 (hours in a day) you get to 1375kWh obviously per hour. Your house would need to run on that minimal amount of energy the whole day. SO if you build an inverter with a HUGE UPS then you would require the following size Batteries: 1375 divide by 12 (Battery voltage) 114.5Ah x 24. You get a battery that size for your inverter you shouldn't have a problem.

BUT

You don't use a constant power draw, you have peaks and troughs (Your geyser switches on while you're making supper as example) So now you are using 5 times your average constant draw and poof, out goes your power because your battery has just drained out OR poof there goes your UPS/Inverter cause it can't handle the load. Get a bigger one and you will need to take out an extension on your home loan and poof there goes your monthly income...

So in the immoral words of Eskom: "So sorry, tough luck, sucks to be you"
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

Why dont they offer the unemployed some bucks to do some peddling and put power back into the grid! :D
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Howzit guys, for those of you who may be baffled trying to make sense of the eskom loads sheds and timetable etc from the main site, try out this link:

http://www.poweroutages.co.za

It's much better than eskoms site!
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

My suburb aint even listed there, so no thanks.

Anyways, rations might be based on average usage minus 30%?

That's a bit extreme.
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

This is actually disasterous, how many of you will go see a movie now, knowing it could be interupted by a 2+ hour intermission. 8O
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

This is bs. My router got damaged when the lights went out and now I've got even more mingy fingers fiddling with my pc.

And this rationing business is completely unholy.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

How much of Eskom does the government (gvmt) own? Didn't Eskom passed a proposal of planning for the increase in consumption and then the gvmt kinda chucked the proposal away?
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah I'm out again in 10 minutes. Then again at 24:00. Then again at 02:00. Then again at 06:00.... Coming from an outage at 16:00.

God and stage 1's supposed to be less intense.
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

We didn't get anything today and yesterday we had an hour. I love my area. Somehow, they always manage to forget about us.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Whoa Rayne, looks like you guys are getting the short end of the stick. 8O
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Nothing this side of the world. Eskom decided to cut power yesterday...just as the washing machine was doing it's thing.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Lol with the timetable on the net i guess the thieves have an easier job now :P
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

How much of Eskom does the government (gvmt) own? Didn't Eskom passed a proposal of planning for the increase in consumption and then the gvmt kinda chucked the proposal away?
They've been asking for ages, the baboons that regulate ESKOM (government agency) refused. Apparently they are some of the most corrupt POS you've ever met.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I thought these schedules would come to an end this week because the two broken generators would be repaired yet now Eskom's saying this crap will continue for a good number of weeks more.

Wtf's really going on here?
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

There will be load shedding till at least 2015. Im suspecting more like 2020...

Considering ESKOM can put up wind / solar and diesel plants within 3 YEARS, not the 7 it takes for others to become operational, they refuse to pay any extra bit of money and cut their million dollar bonusses...

SA is getting screwed, we getting a new president that says the West is hampering Zim from developing... Wow, Zim the 2nd has just been confirmed...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Rayne wrote:I thought these schedules would come to an end this week because the two broken generators would be repaired yet now Eskom's saying this crap will continue for a good number of weeks more.

Wtf's really going on here?
AFAIK this will continue until 2012
MIA

Post by MIA »

Good question Rayne. And this story i heard (on radio): Eskom's bosses got a R100mil bonus (in total), yet we are without power. :evil:

And their load shedding schedules are so inaccurate. It states that my area will have shedding from 8am to 10:30am, and that it did (but not today for some reason) and then another shedding period from 6pm to 8:30pm or from 8pm till 10:30pm (depending on the day of the week), but that 2nd period NEVER happened this week. Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining from having only 1 shedding period per day, but at least give us accurate times.
Forum Points: 16400

Please sign and forward this. Its for a good cause. Dungeon Keeper 3
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah it's gonna be similar to this until 2012, when it will ease slightly, but will only be fully sorted out in 2017...

So they say, and we know to take whatever "they" say with a massive pinch of salt. :wink:
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Apparently they are also running low on coal. LOL.:x

I don't understand. If the load shedding is due to planned maintainance, why didn't they postpone.

Btw, I don't know why, but we only get turned off for about 1.5 hour max once a day and it's never at the specified times on the schedule. Its confusing too since the houses here are quite big. :twisted: :lol:
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

In an amusing turn of irony, deputy president nugcka..erm..nuka..erm.. ngucka was doing an awards night at Parktown girls lst night when the power went off and she proceeded by torchlight. The irony is that she was minister of minerals and energy in 1998, when Eskom investors suggested that Eskom will run out of power by 2008 unless new power sources are generated. The then-minister vetoed the bill.

On a lighter note (chuckle), UK rock band "The Darkness" have been making numerous appears in private residences all accross Jozi (chuckle). Sorry, that was terrible 8)
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

The government also emphasised that it will not be cutting power supply to other countries in order to improve South Africa's supply.
Eeeeeek

Addddioooos RSA...

One day they report they have stopped exporting, next they they say NO they have not...

Zuma backing ZIM, telling west to back off, Gvmnt and Eskom screwing the whole populace, telling mines to shut down and refusing to look at solar / wind power that can be operational in 3 years...

No reason to stay...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Why Eeek :?:

I say good show!

We need electricity more than any of the other countries Eskom supply.

Zim especially.

Also, on a brighter note, if Eskom plunges Botswana into darkness, maybe the Rand will finally become stronger than the Pula!