The Cricket Thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote: :lol: Compared to when we just had Paul Adams and his one spin variant
Wait . . . what? Paul Adams had a test average of 32.87 and an ODI average of 28.10. Those are pretty decent figures.

Anakha56 wrote:we do have a few options. You have to admit from a couple of years back when we struggled to find spinners to now have 2 in the International squad and a few in the national sides we are looking at some spin coming back.
Adams played at a time when South African coaches and selectors were super reluctant to play spinners. The likes of Mickey Arthur and Gary Kirsten see the value of variety, unlike our first few post-isolation coaches. I reckon Adams would have gotten some decent game time had he been playing today. Of course, he also suffered with the frequent bad ball syndrome, putting a lot of full tosses in there, ala Tahir, but he could at least spin the ball.
Anakha56 wrote:Out of interests sake who have been South African spinners? I remember Pat Symcox, Paul Adams and now these two. Pretty sure we had a few from Paul Adams to now but cant remember them...
I can remember Tim Shaw, Dave Rundle, Nicky Boje, Johan Botha, Omar Henry, Clive Eksteen, Paul Harris and Roelof van der Merwe.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Those figures for Adams came when he first started. Once the teams worked him out he was pretty useless.

Wow thats a lot of spinners, I recognize Boja & Botha and Harris but thats about it. Huh oh well I shall shut up about spinners then... :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:Those figures for Adams came when he first started. Once the teams worked him out he was pretty useless.
No . . . those would be his CAREER stats. ;)

The big benefit of Adams was that he could finish off a tail, which is an area in which the Proteas show grave inconsistency.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Stuart wrote:The big benefit of Adams was that he could finish off a tail, which is an area in which the Proteas show grave inconsistency.
Because tails have gotten better. I consider Peterson and Philander part of our tail, yet they had the third highest partnership in the test match. There are very few bowlers who can't bat left. Almost all of them can wield the willow.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

WiK1d wrote:
Stuart wrote:The big benefit of Adams was that he could finish off a tail, which is an area in which the Proteas show grave inconsistency.
Because tails have gotten better. I consider Peterson and Philander part of our tail, yet they had the third highest partnership in the test match. There are very few bowlers who can't bat left. Almost all of them can wield the willow.
Did you see the two boundaries Morkel struck in the first innings? Real classy shots! He's got much potential as a batsman.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The big problem with the DRS is an unstated desire to get the right decision all the time. Cricket isn't that sort of game; there will always be 50-50 decisions as long as there's an lbw law, and that's part of the charm of the sport.

Stop aiming to produce a 100% record and concentrate on getting rid of the howler and then the DRS will be a useful tool in the game. This can only happen when the players have no part in the DRS and it's left in the hands of the third umpire to overrule on-field decisions that are palpably wrong.

Read more
petrivanzyl

Post by petrivanzyl »

Well done boys!
"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure"
(Intel i5-3570K; ASRock Z77 Extreme 6; GSkill Ares DDR3-1600 16GB; Gigabyte 670 GTX OC Edition; OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD; 2TB & 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDDs; CM 690 II Advanced USB 3.0; LG E2770 27" LED)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

IOL Sport wrote:The sight of England fast bowler Steven Finn knocking over the stumps in his delivery stride has led MCC to draw up a new no-ball rule that will take effect in October, it was announced Thursday.

From October 1, if the bowler breaks the stumps at his end during the act of delivery, a no-ball will be called and signalled by the umpire said a statement issued by Lord's based Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), which still retains worldwide responsibility for cricket's Laws.
Only saw this now. interesting, I must say. Makes sense to me.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Good.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anyone watching the Windies-Zim game? That unreferred Sarwan runout was quite something. I was really surprised that Zim didn't review it.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Run-outs are referred, not reviewed. The umpire must send it upstairs. Essentially Zimbabwe were robbed of a wicket there.

There are still way too many shocking decisions being made, even with all the technology that we have now.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

That's because the problem now is the same as it was before the DRS: The standard of umpires has gone down.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

WiK1d wrote:Run-outs are referred, not reviewed. The umpire must send it upstairs. Essentially Zimbabwe were robbed of a wicket there.

There are still way too many shocking decisions being made, even with all the technology that we have now.
Any decision made by the on field umpire can be reviewed. Zimbabwe appealed and the on field umpire gave it not out. Zimbabwe had every right to call for a review, and the third umpire would have overturned the on field decision.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Stuart wrote:
WiK1d wrote:Run-outs are referred, not reviewed. The umpire must send it upstairs. Essentially Zimbabwe were robbed of a wicket there.

Any decision made by the on field umpire can be reviewed. Zimbabwe appealed and the on field umpire gave it not out. Zimbabwe had every right to call for a review, and the third umpire would have overturned the on field decision.
Aha, you're correct
A decision concerning whether or not a batsman is dismissed that could have been referred by the on-field umpire to the TV umpire under Clause 3.2, is eligible for review as soon as it is clear that the on-field umpire has chosen not to make the referral
Which is a load of horse manure to be honest, run-outs, catches that aren't certain if they're clean, should be referred, not reviewed.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

WiK1d wrote:Which is a load of horse manure to be honest, run-outs, catches that aren't certain if they're clean, should be referred, not reviewed.
Should be, but what if they're not. If the umpire makes a howler (like last night) by not referring, shouldn't the captain have the right to refer? At least as the DRS laws stand at present.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Holy smokes... did anyone see the six that Afridi hit off McLaren that landed on the roof of the Gold Course End and bounced off the other side?!! :shock:
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

ghett0_ghuru
Processor: Intel Core2 duo E6320
Motherboard: Nvidia MCP73
Graphics card: ancient
Memory: not enough

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

Mystical_Titan wrote:Holy smokes... did anyone see the six that Afridi hit off McLaren that landed on the roof of the Gold Course End and bounced off the other side?!! :shock:
guess that's why he's boom-boom
it's easier to appreciate an innings like that with the proteas eventually winning :mrgreen:

Is AB re-writing the MCC manual..... was a brilliant knock
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I am anticipating a walkover by South Africa tomorrow. Seems like they catch a wakeup every second game.

It would be a nice change to see SA chasing.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

So you got your wish and you were right about the walkover?

And how's about AB's batting these days? None too shabby methinks?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The man is an exceptional batsman indeed.

Over all, however, the ODI team really needs to garner some consistency.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Oh my SACK! Is anyone watching the IPL? Check this catch of Ricky Ponting from MI vs. DD earlier tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8_hZwVpH88
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

I would not bet against Chris Gayle scoring a T20 double-hundred before his career is over... saying THAT was brutal is like saying the Pope is a holy man.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So Kirsten has opted not to renew his coaching contract, which means that the Champion's Trophy is his last gig with the Proteas. :(

Who replaces him now?
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Ai, ai, ai. :(

I just hope we don't nosedive like India did.