IRB Rugby World Cup 2007

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
FUSED

Post by FUSED »

lancelot wrote:Rusty, you are just talking cr@p, go troll somewhere else! If I follow your logic then nothing is important except what you deam to be so, go get a life my man!
Ditto!
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

rustypup wrote:
lancelot wrote:go troll somewhere else!
no trolling. honest opinion.

when has sport fandom done anything for mankind? i know what it did to the roads on saturday night... drunken gits tearing around the place as if they had some form of sepcial dispensation.. a hilarious incident where one of them pulled over to upchuck into a bramble bush, only to collapse screaming in pain and a face full of thorns...

the rational mind says "it's just a game. it changes nothing". the irrational mind lends it weight and value it never had to start off with. the fact that you don't agree doesn't make it any less accurate.
School spirit was a big thing in your books when you went to school was it?
Not only is it about national pride, whereby millions of people stand behind the best rugby players that the country has to offer, its about an entertaining sport. I am not a big rugby fan but there is nothing like sitting in that stadium and letting the energy of the crowd wash over you and letting yourself scream supporting phrases of encouragement to the team, and phrases of vulgarity to the ref. its about braai vleis, beer, and loud laughter and cheering. Its more exciting than cricket and the fans are more well behaved than soccer supporters.

Its a beautiful game!!!
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KillerByte wrote:School spirit was a big thing in your books when you went to school was it?
if i didn't fall for it then, why would i do so now... crowd mentality has always been a dumb beast... it's nature never changes. does this make me somehow sub-human? does this mean that my take on sports in general is somehow wrong?
KillerByte wrote:there is nothing like sitting in that stadium and letting the energy of the crowd wash over you and letting yourself scream supporting phrases of encouragement to the team, and phrases of vulgarity to the ref.
yes. there is. quite the opposite. it's NOT sitting in a crowd of mindless, screaming, fans who have yet to grasp the simple fact that neither the players, nor the ref, can hear a word they're screaming. :roll: as a matter of fact, the only people who are being subjected to these bouts of idiocy are their neighbours, who are most likely screaming louder in the mistaken belief that this will get their message through before their competitor's...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Rusty, I am not talking about the idiots who rampaged on the streets, that had nothing to do with the World Cup, they were fools who could not control themselves, it happens after games, movies, dog shows, funeral wakes, weddings and many more. Their drunken revelry is directly related to their intelligence and self control, lack of respect for others and the fact that they are idiots.
I am talking about a warm feeling that whatever you follow gives you, this thread is honestly about those rugby fans who feel a bit of pride that their team finished in the number 1 spot out of 20. This thread was supposed to lift those who have an interest in the RWC, not for other sad people to try and break it all down.
It is important to separate idiotic behaviour, which has nothing to do with the win, or the achievement of winning the WC. This country has little to cheer in it, even the game was marred by the death of Lucky Dube.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

rustypup wrote:
KillerByte wrote:School spirit was a big thing in your books when you went to school was it?
if i didn't fall for it then, why would i do so now... crowd mentality has always been a dumb beast... it's nature never changes. does this make me somehow sub-human? does this mean that my take on sports in general is somehow wrong?
KillerByte wrote:there is nothing like sitting in that stadium and letting the energy of the crowd wash over you and letting yourself scream supporting phrases of encouragement to the team, and phrases of vulgarity to the ref.
yes. there is. quite the opposite. it's NOT sitting in a crowd of mindless, screaming, fans who have yet to grasp the simple fact that neither the players, nor the ref, can hear a word they're screaming. :roll: as a matter of fact, the only people who are being subjected to these bouts of idiocy are their neighbours, who are most likely screaming louder in the mistaken belief that this will get their message through before their competitor's...
Just a quick counter as I am getting bored by this nonsense, I have the privilege of knowing a Springbok for some years now, he has told me many times that the influence of the fans shouting and screaming, as you call it, can well be heard, more than that it does also spur the players on. I may be mindless supporter of rugby, but I tell you, I do enjoy it!
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

have yet to grasp the simple fact that neither the players, nor the ref, can hear a word they're screaming
now ur jsut talking BS, ever played a sport where there are ppl cheering? sure u prob cant make out the exact words, but a crowd behind u can make a huge difference. I am speaking from experience.

And yes it may just be a sport, but sportsman can be very inspiring and actually on some occasions do make a difference to ppls lives. if kids would rather play rugby than run around doing less desirable things, then its a good thing that they see how far a sport can take you.

Pride in our team is something u should at least be able to appreciate, even if u dont have it for yourself. sure, u dont like sport as much as the next person, but maybe u should start being a lil more open minded and less opionionated for once. Ur very quick to fight for whatever u feel is important , (some of which i have found ludicrious) but u seem to find eveyr opportunity to shoot down anything which seems unworthy to you...

why not jsut keep quiet on this one then?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

rustypup wrote:
lancelot wrote:go troll somewhere else!
no trolling. honest opinion.

when has sport fandom done anything for mankind? i know what it did to the roads on saturday night... drunken gits tearing around the place as if they had some form of sepcial dispensation.. a hilarious incident where one of them pulled over to upchuck into a bramble bush, only to collapse screaming in pain and a face full of thorns...

the rational mind says "it's just a game. it changes nothing". the irrational mind lends it weight and value it never had to start off with. the fact that you don't agree doesn't make it any less accurate.
you are oh-so-poor.
I pity you.

Having a narcissist's attitude and playing the cynic is doing nothing for you.
You are looking to find tangible and immediate positive results from a sporting event when you should look at the emotional and (team-)spiritual side of things.

SO you don't subscribe to the rugby fraternity of the moment, then no need to troll them with your own version of "upchuck".

s
capanno

Post by capanno »

I agree with rusty!

Congrats to the team though.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I derive great enjoyment from watching sporting events and shouting like a raving lunatic at anything that moves on the field of play.
I also enjoy drinking alcohol until I lose control of all but the most rudimentary motor functions.
Furthermore, once under the influence of said alcohol I lose a lot of my self restraint and tend to behave in a manor that that would be deemed unacceptable by most people - my language becomes very coarse and colloquial and my opinions become absolute and above contradiction. Those who disagree with me may face a form of non-verbal communication.... a form of sensory language employing fists, bottles - whatever is handy - and my antagonists body.
For some reason yet to be discovered by science, my ability to drive a motor vehicle at speed increases, and I am able to perform feats of driving which were unacomplishable prior to my team winning the game and my consumption of half a bottle of vodka.
Not only this, but I do believe I become much more attractive to members of the opposite sex.

With all of this in mind, I'm sure you can imagine how my Saturday evening went.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

jamin_za wrote:I derive great enjoyment from watching sporting events and shouting like a raving lunatic at anything that moves on the field of play.
I also enjoy drinking alcohol until I lose control of all but the most rudimentary motor functions.
Furthermore, once under the influence of said alcohol I lose a lot of my self restraint and tend to behave in a manor that that would be deemed unacceptable by most people - my language becomes very coarse and colloquial and my opinions become absolute and above contradiction. Those who disagree with me may face a form of non-verbal communication.... a form of sensory language employing fists, bottles - whatever is handy - and my antagonists body.
For some reason yet to be discovered by science, my ability to drive a motor vehicle at speed increases, and I am able to perform feats of driving which were unacomplishable prior to my team winning the game and my consumption of half a bottle of vodka.
Not only this, but I do believe I become much more attractive to members of the opposite sex.

With all of this in mind, I'm sure you can imagine how my Saturday evening went.
god darn Durbanites...always causing ****
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Well done you scoundrel! What an idiot! :lol:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

lancelot wrote:I have the privilege of knowing a Springbok for some years now, he has told me many times that the influence of the fans shouting and screaming, as you call it, can well be heard
fair enough. this does not, however, disprove anything... i work with someone who's brother is in the team... still doesn't mean i feel privileged when meeting him. i would feel privileged to meet someone like mother teresa, ikuko toguri or even nelson mandela... privileged when meeting someone who plays a game?. not so much.
thealluseless wrote:Pride in our team is something u should at least be able to appreciate
why?... not my team. i've only ever met two of the players. i have no vested interest in the game. had it been a family member, this opinion would change. then i would take an active interest. do you get the point of difference here?
Sojourn wrote:you are oh-so-poor
not surprisingly, a sentiment i would not share... different world views?... because i prefer to value sport realistically and not romantically? i'm married to a rugby fan... i've still not taken this to be anything other than just a game. it makes me unpopular at matches, (which i get dragged to), but i see little value in pretending...
Sojourn wrote:you should look at the emotional and (team-)spiritual side of things.
i am of the firm belief that the bulk of this "(team-)spiritual side of things" is a carefully constructed, and continuously reinforced, marketing fantasy.
I am getting bored by this nonsense
no need to troll them with your own version of "upchuck"
to clarify: the only reason i posted was to counter the claim that not watching rugby makes us somehow unpatriotic... when people are this far off the beaten path of sanity they need someone to point out to them that their's is not a rational view. an emotive one, perhaps, but this does not give them the right to label those who can disassociate the fantasy from the reality.

at the end of the day, i would concede to lance's comment:
lancelot wrote:this thread is honestly about those rugby fans who feel a bit of pride that their team finished in the number 1 spot out of 20. This thread was supposed to lift those who have an interest in the RWC, not for other sad people to try and break it all down
- apologies if i derailed it... the one post was genuinely meant to be only the one... i got sidetracked :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

JAMIN !!!!! I lolled.
Rusty, you don't need to be a fan to be patriotic.

s
PypLaCe

Post by PypLaCe »

While SA rugby moved to the top spot in world rankings, the soccer team went down another 10 places to 83rd!

Now thats funny.

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=595262
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I still think 2010 is gonne be a joke!
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

DeanMF wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Why would that be? 8O
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

lancelot wrote:

Why would that be? 8O
Bafana Bafana is not even gonna make it through the first stage of the world cup :D
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

True, if they keep playing the way they are!!
When we where watching the final our DSTV koncked out so we had to watch it on SABC 2, and the after comments touched on the Boks win and the rest was about 2010. No one cared about the Soccer during the final.

I really dont think that the Greenpoint stadium os gonna be finished in time. I drive past it every day to get to work and nothing seems to be progressing :roll:
Knightman

Post by Knightman »

DeanMF wrote:
lancelot wrote:

Why would that be? 8O
Bafana Bafana is not even gonna make it through the first stage of the world cup :D
I agree with that :lol:
Cure

Post by Cure »

I really dont think that the Greenpoint stadium os gonna be finished in time. I drive past it every day to get to work and nothing seems to be progressing
If they could stop for a day or so with the striking then things might just progress.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Proposed changes to Twickenham for 2008

WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
i_r_baboon

Post by i_r_baboon »

Sounds like lancelot got the better of you rusty, simply by being a rugby fan and being in this thread. If you have a problem with rugby well take it out on your dog or the mirror because we are world champions and proud of it!
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

i_r_baboon wrote:Sounds like lancelot got the better of you rusty, simply by being a rugby fan and being in this thread. If you have a problem with rugby well take it out on your dog or the mirror because we are world champions and proud of it!
no dont take it out on your dog i might just track you down and kill you
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

muffinman wrote:
i_r_baboon wrote:Sounds like lancelot got the better of you rusty, simply by being a rugby fan and being in this thread. If you have a problem with rugby well take it out on your dog or the mirror because we are world champions and proud of it!
no dont take it out on your dog i might just track you down and kill you
if you want to track down and kill rusty, ill just say:

Rusty, take it out on your dog in the mirror so muffinman can track you down and kill you.