Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science.

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Science or Science Fiction: The thread to debate science

Post by hamin_aus »

RiaX wrote:a CME will send mankind back to the stone age
More like back to the pre-electricity industrial age...

Most cars will still work after a CME some may need hot-wiring to by-pass the ignition... but that's it
Many solid state batteries would be unaffected, as would any unsophisticated device without sensitive electronics or long wires. Flashlights for example.

You could build a Faraday cage to out of a garden shed quite cheaply and keep helpful sensitive electronics in there, some solar panels, a small fridge, 2-way radios etc...

Guns wont be affected by a CME, so have a lot of those handy!
jee

Post by jee »

someone please design gas Innerwebs in the next year?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

jee wrote:someone please design gas Innerwebs in the next year?
Ta-Da!
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

RiaX wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:sooo.... is there a place I can buy a tin-foil hat for my PC, microwave, televsion and car?
nope the only way to save your stuff is to switch it off. Unfortunatly the CME travels at almost the speed of light, so the solar weather team as 8 minutes to warn the world :shock:
The X rays arrive after about 8 minutes while the CME material arrives after about 2 days. X-rays travel at the speed of light while the plasma of the coronal mass ejection travels much slower.The majority of the plasma of the mass ejection travels much slower than the speed of light, though occasionally, high energy protons are accelerated to speeds close to that of light in “proton flares”. :wink: :P
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

You could build a Faraday cage
So a magnetic pole change will give corrugated shack dwellers the world? :shock:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

wizardofid wrote:The X rays arrive after about 8 minutes while the CME material arrives after about 2 days. X-rays travel at the speed of light while the plasma of the coronal mass ejection travels much slower.The majority of the plasma of the mass ejection travels much slower than the speed of light, though occasionally, high energy protons are accelerated to speeds close to that of light in “proton flares”. :wink: :P
well its not the plasma that will disrupt our electrical circuits its the X-ray and gamma rays.

Anyways watched a documentary on history channel, on 2012 were they said the world is predicited to end on the 21st of december 2012. They kept saying that nostradamus has the key to unlocking this mystery but nothing else, so i learnt absolutely nothing in that one hour. How can documentries like this even be allowed to show on TV :evil: .

One thing did catch my attention though, the matter of the Dark rift alignment, any thoughts on this?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

well its not the plasma that will disrupt our electrical circuits its the X-ray and gamma rays.
No, perhaps you so be concentrating when watching your favorite tv program, and take up reading. :wink: It is what is in the plasma, Doh ! and since the plasma only arrives after the flare the aurora borealis will first be visible, after which you will get a blackout like in the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_flare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle_22
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

ROFL i wasnt concentrating when i posted that :oops: :oops:

allow me to correct it. Its the cosmic particles that will destroy our electric circuits. Yes they travel slower than the speed of light BUT not that much slower, since they are accelerated particles due to the tension in the sun's unstable magnetosphere they move at near lightspeed (about 99%)

think of it as a gun, the solar flare is the muzzle flash and the CME is the bullet :D
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

RiaX wrote:ROFL i wasnt concentrating when i posted that :oops: :oops:

allow me to correct it. Its the cosmic particles that will destroy our electric circuits. Yes they travel slower than the speed of light BUT not that much slower, since they are accelerated particles due to the tension in the sun's unstable magnetosphere they move at near lightspeed (about 99%)

think of it as a gun, the solar flare is the muzzle flash and the CME is the bullet :D
So you want to tell me the muzzle flash is the solar flare and solar mass ejection is the bullet, perhaps it should be the other way around because it is the bullet first and then the muzzle flash.

It is physically impossible for the gasses to exit before the bullet.... :wink:

Sigh, the plasma is different to light and looses energy because of the liquid state it also has more mass, it also has parts moving quicker than other parts which results in a turbulent winds.So in effect it slow down... :wink: :P
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

wizardofid wrote:
RiaX wrote:ROFL i wasnt concentrating when i posted that :oops: :oops:

So you want to tell me the muzzle flash is the solar flare and solar mass ejection is the bullet, perhaps it should be the other way around because it is the bullet first and then the muzzle flash.

It is physically impossible for the gasses to exit before the bullet.... :wink:

Sigh, the plasma is different to light and looses energy because of the liquid state it also has more mass, it also has parts moving quicker than other parts which results in a turbulent winds.So in effect it slow down... :wink: :P
you missing the point, yes the muzzle flash is last but its the first you sense cause the light is far faster than the sound which is faster than the bullet. The point of the analogy is to explain the CME, you see the solar flare first before the CME. The CME is the damaging part of this system and hence its seen as the bullet and of course the sun is the gun :D you just being technical now :P

*edit* plasma is not liquid, its the 4th state of matter. If it was a liquid then its wouldnt have its own class. Its a collection of material that is highly charged for example lightning and fire is considered as plasma.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

*edit* plasma is not liquid, its the 4th state of matter. If it was a liquid then its wouldnt have its own class. Its a collection of material that is highly charged for example lightning and fire is considered as plasma.
Oh yeah sorry :P :wink:

Analogy ? Then use a correct one, lightning is better one to use. :wink: :D
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

wizardofid wrote:
Oh yeah sorry :P :wink:

Analogy ? Then use a correct one, lightning is better one to use. :wink: :D
im quoting the one the cosmologists used in naked science. How is lightning a better comparision ? its damage doesnt occur after its visual effect. Thunder poses no harm to anyone

and yes its analogy
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

you missing the point,
naked science
There is you problem :wink: :P
and yes its analogy
Not very logic to a person that knows the muzzle comes after the bullet.

the light you see when lightning strikes on the other hand moves at what speed? the after effect is a loud bang better known as sound. First you see the flare and then get the material bend on earths destruction....

I could use another analogy, but that requires flinging a cellphone at you at the speed of light :wink: :P
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

its the same with a bullet, technically the light is first cause the gunpowder ignites first, but you see it after the bullet escapes the barrel of the gun.

But you dont see the bullet first but rather the muzzle flash, and why is that? because an average 9mm bullet travels around 350m/s (even your high power supersonic rifles will pale in comparision) were as the light from the muzzle flash travels at 3*10^8 m/s .... Once the bullet gives a small gap for the light to escape, and since its a photon it needs mircoscopic gaps. In one thousandth of a second how far from the muzzle will the bullet be, probably appear to still be in the barrel. However light moves so fast in that fraction of time the photon has probably reached your eye

as for the actual analogy, he used a gun because he was explaining the mechanism of action of a CME from the changes in the solar magnetoshpere, to atmospheric conditions ect ect and each aspect represented a part of a gun and the mechanics behind a gun shot. For a lay person it was a good way for a lay person to understand the phsyics behind the concept (im just too lazy to type the entire thing out)

Very good documentaries i must say. The universe from history channel and Nat geo's Earth Investigated

(forgive the noob english im tired now lol )
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

-Prometheus- wrote:I think the bullet is quite a good analogy.
thank you :D

btw i remembered something, you are so adament that the bullet leave the chamber first but in reality you are wrong. The bullet and the chamber of a gun are not such a perfect fit that they can block the photons produced by the gun powder detonating from escaping before the bullet does.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Washington - A powerful solar eruption that triggered a huge geomagnetic storm has disturbed radio communications and could disrupt electrical power grids, radio and satellite communication in the next days, Nasa said.

A strong wave of charged plasma particles emanating from the Jupiter-sized sun spot, the most powerful seen in four years, has already disrupted radio communication in southern China.

The Class X flash - the largest such category - erupted at 01:56 GMT on Tuesday, according to the US space agency.

"X-class flares are the most powerful of all solar events that can trigger radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms," disturbing telecommunications and electric grids, Nasa said on Wednesday.

Geomagnetic storms usually last 24 to 48 hours - but some could last for many days, read a statement from the US National Weather Service.

"Ground to air, ship to shore, shortwave broadcast and amateur radio are vulnerable to disruption during geomagnetic storms. Navigation systems like GPS can also be adversely affected."

Nasa's Solar Dynamics Observatory said it saw a large coronal mass ejection (CME) associated with the flash blasting toward Earth at about 900km/s..........

http://m.news24.com/news24/SciTech/News ... s-20110217
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Oh wow, so whether creationist or evolutionist, I think we can all agree that this gentleman's been smoking the electric cabbage:
http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/Huma ... r-20110309

"There is no doubt in my mind that life on Earth is directly linked to the extraterrestrial. Mainstream scientists are cowards; they hide behind their academic status and base their theories on very little scientific support," Michael Tellinger told News24.

Tellinger is author of Slave Species of God where he argues that human beings were created to perform labour for extra-terrestrial beings called the Annunaki. This is similar to a series of books written by Zecharia Sitchin, which have been dismissed by established academia."
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

One for hamin...

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 ... mpaign=rss
Humans are losers (when it comes to penis spines)
By John Timmer | Last updated about 16 hours ago

Having a human-centric view of the world, we tend to think of the traits that make us distinct from our fellow primates in positive terms, focusing on the features we've gained, like our big brains. But human evolution has also meant the loss of some potentially useful features, like upper body strength. New traits can also arise from the loss of DNA. So, it was just a matter of time before someone tried to identify the DNA sequences our species has lost along its evolutionary past. A study that does just that appears in today's issue of Nature, describing DNA sequence losses implicated in bigger brains and the end of penis spines.

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

interesting.....
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

WTH is a penile spine? :scratch:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

If you having genetic problems I feel bad for you, son
I got 99 problems, but penis spines ain't one!
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

:lol:
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

lol indeed but thats the beauty of science. If you dont challenge you will never know