Love?

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
jee

Re: Love?

Post by jee »

Love without nurturing and compassion is not love. Those are characteristics that encapsulate love. The feeling without those are plain being used to someone.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I agree 100%.
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

but love is like 90 % abstract feeling isn't it :?:
The greatest battle is the one within...
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

BluePsyche wrote:but love is like 90 % abstract feeling isn't it :?:
Explain?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

There's the pragmatic side where you have to work at it to keep it properly alive and then there are all the mushy feelings and sensations which are associated with it, which are the "abstract" I reffered to.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I hear it is mainly chemical - your body releases them and we react to them. That is why you cannot choose who you fall for - there is some kind of a chemical reaction.
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

Tribble wrote:I hear it is mainly chemical - your body releases them and we react to them. That is why you cannot choose who you fall for - there is some kind of a chemical reaction.
:cry: We are still base creatures...
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Tribble wrote:I hear it is mainly chemical - your body releases them and we react to them. That is why you cannot choose who you fall for - there is some kind of a chemical reaction.
It is a chemical thing, with a link to genetics (you 'fall' for a type that is appealing)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

So very base, we are slaves then :cry:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Actually... no. The emotion is definitely caused by a chemical yes (or so I hear :P ) but that chemical is only released in response to what happens in your mind.

Thought :arrow: emotions follow.

Usually what happens is that you notice a particular characteristic in a person that you like (they read Tolkein, or something.) and your subconcious mind, to save the energy of actually finding out who the other person really is, will try and make reasonable predictions instead, and go with that idea. But all it has to work with is the few cool aspects you were focusing on, so the abstract it creates in your mind is purely positive and overly embellished, your brain can only predict good things because you've only fed it good information.

In reaction to this false concept of a certain person you feel good emotions because they represent objective values.

Brain recognises that they are a member of the opposite sex, and believes that they have 1337 dna (because of the concept in your mind) and releases the chemicals.

I have tons of scientific evidence to back this up, but I'd have to go through my textbooks for all the terminology, so only ask if you really really ant to know. :P And note, I'm not saying that this is the only way people fall in love.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

BluePsyche wrote:So very base, we are slaves then :cry:
Slaves to whom? Even if who we fell in love with is in the control of the chemicals our bodies release, do you leave those chemicals outside your definition of the self? Are they not part of you?

:P
Monty wrote:
It is a chemical thing, with a link to genetics (you 'fall' for a type that is appealing)
QFT - but what you find appealing is quite largely determined by your psychology.

- Elon Musk
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

D3PART3D wrote:
Monty wrote:
QFT - but what you find appealing is quite largely determined by your psychology.
WHich I'll argue till my dying breath is partly genetic :P
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Monty wrote:WHich I'll argue till my dying breath is partly genetic :P
:lol: Yes you're 100% correct. A guy's dna says look for boobs, hips, physical health etc., but it has its limits, I mean, you're not attracted to every single girl who meets that criteria. Unless you're jamin.

:P

- Elon Musk
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

But how much of your Psychology is really your own?
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

BluePsyche wrote:But how much of your Psychology is really your own?
All of it. The question is how much of it do you control
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

That's not in the realm of science anymore but rather of philosophy, because before there can be ownership there must be a self... and science cannot define "self".

And I haven't truly found the answer to that yet, so your guess is as good as mine :D Time for some pondering tea :P

- Elon Musk
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Monty wrote:
All of it. The question is how much of it do you control
Well, that's a blunt answer, and makes perfect sense. Monty wins! :P

- Elon Musk
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

What am I doing here anyway? *leaves thread*
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

BluePsyche wrote:What am I doing here anyway? *leaves thread*
Noooooooo! Stay, the only thing that keeps me in this girly thread is the satifaction of the masculine competition instinct, i.e. being corect-er than you.

:D

- Elon Musk
BluePsyche

Post by BluePsyche »

You know I'm deficient in those matters and wish to make me your play thing :evil: :roll:
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

BluePsyche wrote:You know I'm deficient in those matters and wish to make me your play thing :evil: :roll:
Stay, argue and learn.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

I'm very low this weekend, been about 7 weeks now and nothing has even remotely eased *sigh* :cry:
Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.
You can close your eyes to things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to things you don’t want to feel.
When you said forever, you meant a few months.
When I said forever, I meant every day until I died.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

You don't love a woman because she is beautiful, but she is beautiful because you love her.

Screeper, talk about it to someone you trust, as talking lets you get what weighs you down off your chest. And don't expect it to just disappear one day, its much like the healing of a physical injury or ailment, it takes time.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Monty wrote: Screeper, talk about it to someone you trust, as talking lets you get what weighs you down off your chest. And don't expect it to just disappear one day, its much like the healing of a physical injury or ailment, it takes time.
Or watch a couple episodes of Fresh Prince of Bel Air, works for me :lol:

Jus kidding :P
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Screeper, Monty is right. You need to talk to someone and then go out on the town with some single friends. You need to see you can still have fun.