Spider - what type is this ?

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Chameleon eats poisened spider and falls off branch, dead.
jee

Post by jee »

I'm very sorry to say I'm completely against killing anything, but if you bring a spider like that any where near me i will become the stereotyped pink woman and stand on something and practice my vocals until i'm saved..... brrrrr i cannot even look at the pic...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

If I had to see one of those guys in my house, I ***** my best Sunday underpants and wait outside of the house, until someone else comes along to remove it... :?
I am who I am :D
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Spider yummy!!!

Neon_Chameleon has special powers as Neon_Chameleon (third person sounds more threatening) was bitten by q chameleon which was exposed to radiation and now have special chameleon sense, to change into 32-bit colour, with 24x Anti-aliasing! :) Also the ability to detect whether spiders are poisioned or not.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Zero

Post by Zero »

Lol @ neon. Easy to see why u r a pube!

Hey bfly, whats up. It's been a while hey. Is Brabham stil around?
The Gentle Giant, the last of his Clan...
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

Zero wrote:Hey bfly, whats up. It's been a while hey. Is Brabham stil around?
Yeah, it has, Brabham is around somewhere, when I see him on IRC again, I'll tell him you inquired :)
I am who I am :D
Nitroflea

Post by Nitroflea »

hehe :?

I agree, Looks like a rain spider.
/me **shivers**
I don't like spiders i say!
I won't go around killing them, but being bitten ain't much fun. trust me!
And when they're big mothers like that it hurts. And even thought they aren't venomous u still get a reaction. My hand swelled to twice its size last time it came to close to a spider. *shiver*

Oh, and bb, weren't you scared the thing was gonna jump? eeek! I don't dig that. I stay on a plot so we get lots of spiders around and I've seen some pretty nasty ones *shiver*

/me searches all corners of my room
phew! safe, for today.... :twisted:
"If a programmer can't quote entire Monty Python movies from memory, he or she has no business being a programmer."
Law

Post by Law »

SnowMonkey wrote:/me hates spiders!!!

Daim man, would have unloaded a whole can of doom if I saw that thing in my room.

Me really scared of spider esp big ones. :oops:
Reminds me of a funny story involving SM

MAY THE CHEESE BE WITH YOU!
{PK} Law
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Nitroflea wrote:
Oh, and bb, weren't you scared the thing was gonna jump? eeek! I don't dig that. I stay on a plot so we get lots of spiders around and I've seen some pretty nasty ones *shiver*

/me searches all corners of my room
phew! safe, for today.... :twisted:
Initially when I saw it, my mind obviously drifted toward the movie style spider that leaps, but very few spiders actually do that. A quick test with the end of a broom proved that the poor thing was harmless to me. It was easy enough to coax it out the window with the broom.

I'll admit, I wouldn't want one of those blighters hanging above my bed when asleep ! - I also don't think I'll invite it back into my house - it can stay outside and catch things :)

I tolerate spiders in my house of the small variety because they catch other gogas like flies and mozzies.

Lizards (or zilards as I refer to them) I love to have in the house - incredibly effective for keeping the bug numbers down and very cute too ! :)

I admit to having one phobia - and that is for those big black wasps. Man, when one of those enters my house, I run for cover, cowering behind a door watching as the wasp hovers round the house.

I've been told that you can easily direct them out the door and that they are not vicious until provoked, but I'd rather not take that chance :)

Funny enough, bees I'm not worried about.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

I'm not afraid of spiders or snakes or any poisonous animal. It's the bite that scares the bejesus out of me. :wink:

Spideys have a bad rap because they look so vicious. Whether they are poisonous or not, they just look scary. Just like those damn black and red rock crabs you get along the Natal Coast. Just ask Fishzn, snowy, and those coastal boys. I use to live near Port Shepstone, and believe you me, like Fishzn said, the bugs are much bigger and nastier along the east coast.
bb_matt wrote: A quick test with the end of a broom proved that the poor thing was harmless to me.
I'm sure that you held a tennis raquet in the other hand, just in case it could do a leaping attack. :wink:
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

That looks like a common house spider - I don't know the biological name, might be rain spider as the others have said. We had lots of them in my old house when I was still living with my folks. Some of them do get pretty big, but they're usually not as big as the one in your pic, I did see two or three of them that got that big, but like I said, they're usually quite a bit smaller.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

Law wrote:
SnowMonkey wrote:/me hates spiders!!!

Daim man, would have unloaded a whole can of doom if I saw that thing in my room.

Me really scared of spider esp big ones. :oops:
Reminds me of a funny story involving SM
Funny for some!

Don't worry I'm sure we'll lan in the the not to distent future, and revange will be sweet!
Supplier of Smart-IT Business Management & Accounting solutions

Smart-IT

Point of Sale/ Ledger/ Customers/ Suppliers/ Workshop/ Stock/ Purchases/ Quote/ HR
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Some of you seem so affraid of spiders, but here's a few thoughts to chew on:
The Insect with the most painful venom is a certain species of ant.
The spider with the most dangerous venom are those little DaddyLongLegs that crop up everywhere.

Just because its hairy and scary doesnt mean its dangerous. bb_matt is right when he sez that the spider would have died if he picked it up, expecially if it isnt use to human contact. If your affraid of a deadly bite, look at the spiders with bright colours.

In nature, colour is a warning system. But this doesnt mean that they are aggressive.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Aye - you guys were spot on with the rain spider :-
Female Palystes superciliosus, photographed by Manie in Johannesburg.

RAIN SPIDERS, Palystes spp. in the family Sparassidae.

They belong to a family of spiders distributed throughout the world, commonly called huntsman spiders, the scientific name for the family is Sparassidae. Our rain spiders are in the genus Palystes with 17 species described from South Africa. The most commonly seen in and around our homes and gardens throughout the country is Palystes superciliosus and on the Cape Peninsula the other big rain spiders is Palystes castaneus. The other species are smaller and less often seen.

Rain spider range in size from 15 - 40 mm. This measurement is body length - omitting leg span. Once they unfold their legs they can span up to around 100 mm - that's a BIG spider! It is really nice to know that they are harmless to humans.

They are nocturnal wandering hunters that live in vegetation and do not build webs. They often come indoors to hunt insects attracted to our lights at night which can cause quite a stir because of their impressive size. Rain spiders do not mature for two or three years and can live for up to four years. Males are a little slimmer than females, with smaller abdomens but longer legs. Females lay between 50 and 300 eggs in a greyish cushion-like egg sac. The sac, covered with leaves and held together with silk is hung in vegetation and guarded by the mother spider. The spiderlings emerge after about three weeks and cluster together under their mother's protection before they finally disperse.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Psych0_Cr1tt3r, i think that daddylonglegs story is a fallacy.
I happened to ask the dude in charge of the insect collection at our Museum in Durban about that fact and he almost beat me up.

Apparently there's a spider that looks a lot like the daddylonglegs which does indeed have a very dangerous bite (not the most deadly tho).
Seems people are very occassionally bitten by these daddylongleg 'look-a-likes' and get really sick and claim a daddyllegs was responsible.
Can't for the life of me remember what they're called now :?

But its certainly true what you say about big hairy not necessarily dangerous. In fact big and hairy usually means harmless, nothing more than a painful bite at worst.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Dragoneyes

Post by Dragoneyes »

Dude that is the type spider you shoot with a shotgun :D
- ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe
- AMD64 6000+ @ 3.01Ghz
- Gainward 8800GTS 320
- Gigabyte 7300GS
- 4x 1gig DDR2 800
- CoolerMaster Extreme Power 650W
- Samsung 2232GW, Acer AL1951, Packard Bell LCD 17"
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Screeper wrote:Psych0_Cr1tt3r, i think that daddylonglegs story is a fallacy.
I happened to ask the dude in charge of the insect collection at our Museum in Durban about that fact and he almost beat me up.

Apparently there's a spider that looks a lot like the daddylonglegs which does indeed have a very dangerous bite (not the most deadly tho).
I think your referring to the violin spider {Viool spinnekop} ... That is one of the most deadly

But the daddylonglegs are also very poisonous, they just can bite through human skin, too weak..

bb : there are some huge ones in Jhb... should see the one my borther caught two years back in Weltevreden park when he was studying...

my bro is / was spider happy and has a book on spiders... however, should he see a "Knopie spinnekop" he jumps and wont go near it... kinda funny...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

DaddyLongLegs cant bite humans but the venom causes gangreen
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

You see! This is the reason I don't like spiders.

I don't see one in my room for days, make that weeks.
I just got woken by a SMS and turned to look at my wall. Not 5cm above my blankets on the wall next to my bed was a spider. Not an extremely big one but still I know it was quite poisonous.

They trying to ambush me in my sleep. I caugh one of their advanced scouts, now to set up perimeter defenses.

Anyway, back to bed for me.
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

that's the thing about nature, there's always something out there ready to chomp you bottom while you're not looking.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

The sac, covered with leaves and held together with silk is hung in vegetation and guarded by the mother spider
Cool! When I stayed with my parents, we used to get these egg sacs in the garden pretty regularly :) I didn't know that the mommy guarded them tho, otherwise I don't think I would have gone so close... They're pretty cool sacs, larger than a fist what with all the leaves and stuff.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Synkronos wrote:
The sac, covered with leaves and held together with silk is hung in vegetation and guarded by the mother spider
Cool! When I stayed with my parents, we used to get these egg sacs in the garden pretty regularly :) I didn't know that the mommy guarded them tho, otherwise I don't think I would have gone so close... They're pretty cool sacs, larger than a fist what with all the leaves and stuff.
We also get some of those, but they never "hang" around for too long... :twisted:
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Even the normal house-dwelling recluse-spider has quite a chomp. I'm tempted to post the pics, but go see for yourself
Last edited by Thrall on 03 May 2004, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Man, that shyte should have a warning attached! Not for the faint hearted. It's pretty disgusting...
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Damn! That's some bad *****!
Imagine if one bit you on "Little Hercules"... :wink: